Post-Game Talk: Game #3: Home Opener vs. Leafs

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I don't see big problems here. It's a typical Rangers October. Lundqvist, McDonagh, and the team as a whole always start really slow.

It baffles me that seasoned posters in here have not learned this yet! But i guess "sky is falling" scenario is much more fun to jump on.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
I really hope Stempniak stays healthy all year. He looks like he's flying out there.

Also, I want Duclair to slot one hope. I think as soon as he does, it will start raining.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with our ability to create chances with our speed. They look super fast at times.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It's way too early to panic. The team always feels tremendous pressure to 'perform' for the home crowd, during the home opener.

They didn't keep it simple and majority of the boys sucked tonight outside of a very select few.

Great atmosphere around and inside MSG for the game despite the horrendous product on the ice.

It's WAY too early in the season to even freak out.

All I know is this...the Islanders are a good ****ing team and are going to be hyped and ready Tuesday.

They better be ready for this game. Gotta always stop the bleeding sooner rather than later.

Well said. Waaaay too early to panic. But they need to start showing signs of improvement and Tuesday would be a great time to start. Isles will be fired up.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
To me they just spear to be out of sync along with their effort level and the lineup being unbalanced. I think Stepan and Boyle coming back will help just balance everything out.

I just notice them struggling to even connect on passes and when things are going that way they need to work harder not slack off.

I'm far from the jumping off the ledge crowd but I'm a tinge annoyed.

AHB*

Let's take a look at that massive brain of yours.

--

As late as 9/18/2014, you said this in a "prospects you're interested in" post:

--

As late as 9/15/2014 you said:

Later in the post you called Hayes a "wildcard;" said if he stuck you thought he would be on the wing; and that he might push Stempniak (winger), Lombardi (center), and Malone (winger) down.

Easy to get 'em right when you're predicting everything/anything will happen. We're missing a 3C, so one of the two top options for 3C will make the team -- what a shocker of a prediction! Also an even tougher prediction to make once the team's 1C goes down. :bow:

--

As late as 8/27/2014, you had a trade proposal that included Allen on the 2nd pairing, replacing Staal, and saying that would work for the Rangers (meanwhile, a week earlier saying Allen wouldn't make JMoore expendable -- but he does Staal?):

--

In the same post dated 9/15/2014 above re Miller/Hayes you said:

--

As for the rest? Your posting history doesn't go far back enough to fact check. But you keep on rockin' it.

There's this nice thing about these forums that keeps people honest when they try to act all high and mighty like you did: It is called the search function.

Oops. :blush:

I'm in love with you.

Now, I await the response at some point today.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Let's take a look at that massive brain of yours.

--

As late as 9/18/2014, you said this in a "prospects you're interested in" post:

--

As late as 9/15/2014 you said:

Later in the post you called Hayes a "wildcard;" said if he stuck you thought he would be on the wing; and that he might push Stempniak (winger), Lombardi (center), and Malone (winger) down.

Easy to get 'em right when you're predicting everything/anything will happen. We're missing a 3C, so one of the two top options for 3C will make the team -- what a shocker of a prediction! Also an even tougher prediction to make once the team's 1C goes down. :bow:

--

As late as 8/27/2014, you had a trade proposal that included Allen on the 2nd pairing, replacing Staal, and saying that would work for the Rangers (meanwhile, a week earlier saying Allen wouldn't make JMoore expendable -- but he does Staal?):

--

In the same post dated 9/15/2014 above re Miller/Hayes you said:

--

As for the rest? Your posting history doesn't go far back enough to fact check. But you keep on rockin' it.

There's this nice thing about these forums that keeps people honest when they try to act all high and mighty like you did: It is called the search function.

Oops. :blush:

Mother of God...

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Seems like having 4 keys players not in the lineup have hurt us a bit.

Good that Nash played well until his wife selfishly went into labor.

Zucc, Boyle and Step all hurt.

New kids playing and holding their own.

It is what it is.

I will say the MSL center experiment should end. Sink or swim with Hayes and Miller down the middle... I'm sure we'll sink but, honestly what would you call the past 2 games with MSL @ center?

Let em play their positions and get some real experience. The losses should at the very least be cashed in for reps at positions we want these kids to play.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A lot of talk about the lines. I think the biggest problem is that we aren't movnig the puck well enough -- even remotely -- out from our own end. I mean, especially against CBJ that was the problem but it cost us a ton of goals last night too. This was our biggest weakness by far last season. This year: Stralman out, Hunwick in. Its showing!

AHB*

A lot of talk about the lines. I think the biggest problem is that we aren't movnig the puck well enough -- even remotely -- out from our own end. I mean, especially against CBJ that was the problem but it cost us a ton of goals last night too. This was our biggest weakness by far last season. This year: Stralman out, Hunwick in. Its showing!

Because Hunwick is the actual replacement for Stralman...

Great analysis!!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yes and no...they had these same issues at the beginning of last year and Stralman was part of that team. It's really really not as simple as just saying "they lost one defenseman and everything fell apart!" I think they're really just not playing AV's system which really starts with defense...they're all in a hurry to try to play offense that they're screwing up all over the ice.

Sooooo, yeah, lot of the same problems the Rangers opened last year with, namely not taking care of the puck in the defensive and neutral zones. Lots of trying hard to transition to offense when they don't have the puck secured yet, and lots of assuming they know where their teammates are when they really don't and just blindly throwing the puck around.

Hopefully with a day of practice and being shamed by last night they'll play a more solid game against the Islanders. Just a whole lot of risky plays and careless plays instead of being deliberate with the puck. That SH goal was a good example...Miller wiffed on a shot then tried to recover and keep the puck in but ended up kind of getting in McDonagh's way, and McDonagh should have backed off instead of trying to hold the blueline there. Speaking of McDonagh, he's trying to do too much again, much like the beginning of last year. He's a fantastic player but he can't be everywhere on the ice making every play, he has to scale it back a bit and take the opportunities as they come.

Basically...dudes need to chill the hell out and get back to a sound base and playing sound defense before they start trying to get all fancy and run and gun like they are now. Working in a bunch of new players is certainly part of that but there's still some basics they're ignoring right now that they have to get back to.

The good news is some of the important players are looking good...Nash and St Louis for starters. Kreider has been solid, Brassard looked more lively last game, Duclair continues to impress, Staal and Klein haven't been as bad as feared together. On the downside, Hagelin needs to do something...he's all over the place but getting nothing done. Miller...I like him but he's not playing too smart right now, he needs to make the safe play sometimes and other times he need to do stuff like drive to the net. Hayes was OK but I dont' feel like he got a lot of icetime.

Oh, and penalties, those are killing them. They're taking stupid penalties and struggling to get back into the flow of the game after either killing them off or getting scored on. Penalties are inevitable but you don't have to take stupid ones.

I'm not particularly concerned but I hope they don't have many more of these games (hopefully no more at all) because they're not fun to watch. I really wish Stepan hadn't gotten injured, that's hurting them quite a bit right now as well.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Because Hunwick is the actual replacement for Stralman...

Great analysis!!

Yeah, that was weird coming from Ola. Usually he's on top of his game. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that we'd all assume he meant specifically to last night's game - and that he didn't forget that we have Dan Boyle here ;)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Oh and Stempniak was a great pickup, really like how hard he's been playing. That goal last night is the kind of thing I want to see more guys on the Rangers doing...take it to the net, especially if you're coming at the net with speed. See lots of guys just settle for an easy shot when there's some room to head to the net. Hell even if you get checked maybe a teammate trailing can pick up the puck and do something with it, but most of the time a weak flip shot from far out isn't adding much to the offense

mti79

May 11, 2007
Was at the game and not only disappointed in the performance and outcome, but also the lack of any pre-game festivities. Was the Blueshirt Boulevard supposed to replace that? Didn't feel like a home opener, other than that we lost.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Oh and Stempniak was a great pickup, really like how hard he's been playing. That goal last night is the kind of thing I want to see more guys on the Rangers doing...take it to the net, especially if you're coming at the net with speed. See lots of guys just settle for an easy shot when there's some room to head to the net. Hell even if you get checked maybe a teammate trailing can pick up the puck and do something with it, but most of the time a weak flip shot from far out isn't adding much to the offense

See that's what I like, he's what 5'10? If he has the guys to take it to the net everyone should. Is it me or does Kreider use a shorter stick? You see guys like Duclair who are 4 inches shorter than Kreider but can stick handle and take it to the net where in Kreider's case it seems like he has no reach if you know what I mean.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I gave up after the 2nd last night and decided to get some sleep before work instead of watching the last third of that train wreck of a game .

What happened with Do-Mo and Reimer?

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I gave up after the 2nd last night and decided to get some sleep before work instead of watching the last third of that train wreck of a game .

What hsppened with Do-Mo and Reimer?

The puck was slowly sliding towards the side of the net and Moore was trying to get there to poke it free or whatever while Reimer twisted around the side of his post to trap the puck. As Moore skated past his hip bumped Reimer in the side of the head.

Not intentional, just unfortunate. Moore had every right to be going for that puck and normally would have skated right past the goal if Reimer wasn't leaning out past the side of the net to try to grab the puck

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
That goal was infuriating to watch. He gets the puck and McD just turned and watched. Girardi was nowhere to be found and McD made no effort to even move. Just watched the shot and goal. I don't know what I expected him to do--I was hoping for a blocked shot of just some effort, but not a deer in headlights look. I get he had a man to cover in case of a rebound, but someone needs to be on that guy.

Yeah, we're missing Zuccs, Step, and Boyle, but we need our guys to step up. The bits I saw of Hunwick...eh. Didn't impress too much.

I also saw a few people calling for Miller and Fast to be sent down. Back in the summer, we had a lot of people calling for keeping them up and just dealing with the growing pains. It's one or the other.

Duc looked pretty good--some nifty plays. Hayes also made one or two nice ones, but Hayes and Moore were both horrendous on the faceoff tonight.

Just gotta deal with it for now. It'll come together. Frustrating as absolute ****, but it'll come together.

These are some great points.

I have been expecting growing pains. Fact is all of the prospects playing are WAY beyond expectations:

Duclair is fitting in incredibly well.
Hayes is VERY patient on the puck
Miller is making plays. Maybe some bad plays, but generally looks good
Fast is a nice catalyst on the 4th line...

Again, when you combine those 4, along with the new comers of Stempniak, Glass (sort of), Malone, and MSL playing a new position, this slow start is expected.

I will say that I'm SUPER pleased with Staal... This is why we need to resign him. When McDonagh looks like ****, Staal can pick up the slack...

Anyone that has been saying John Moore or Conner Allen can take those minutes (I admit, I made this claim regarding Allen a few times, and I'm eating crow for it) is in for a rude awakening IF management decides to trade Staal...

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Funny how the best post-lockout start both Lundqvist and the Rangers had was also the lone post-lockout season where the missed the playoffs.

Four rookie forwards in the lineup. Plusses and minuses.

didnt the 08-09 team start off like 10-2-1? That 09-10 team fell off the face of the earth after their 7 game win streak (well the 08-09 team crashed back down too but I think 10-2-1 is better than what the 09-10 teams record ended up being after their streak)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00