Post-Game Talk: Game 3 : DAL @ DET 3 Stars and Wrapup

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I don't get the complaints about Franzen. He was vital in two of our goals yesterday and he's been working hard. I think you guys are letting your bias towards him blind you from his performance. Yes, he could be doing better but he's the least of our problems at the moment.

He's definitely seemed more engaged this season than in most of last season. Just thought it was a odd time for him to pull the hockey equivalent of the Little League outfielder sitting in the grass and picking flowers when he laid down the in crease and stayed there while the Wings had the puck.

Orr44

Apr 15, 2012
Mt P
I might be wrong, but I thought that while Franzen was lying in the crease, I saw a stars player have to pull his stick either out from under Franzen or it could have been stuck in his skate, that's why I thought he was laying there for way too long. Maybe he was just taking a rest in the crease at a bad time, but maybe he just couldn't get up because of that.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
2nd goal was on Lashoff, the 1st goal was on Smith; he is great at screening the goalie... but for the wrong team :laugh:

- Wings can't score. Whopping 4 goals in 3 games.
- Wings PP is anemic.
- Their goalie is better than ours
- Datsyuk's head is in Russia (he's bolting after his contract expires just like Stuart)
- Zetterberg is proving to be "lead by example", my favorite player.
- Smith is a giveaway machine
- Nyquist proving why he's not in the NHL yet... way undersized for his style of play.
- Filppula can't finish but is playing well
- Tootoo is a BEAST
- Huskin was stable - that's all you can ask for
- I like Lashoff, he should take Smith's spot after we get some dmen back
- The bottom six looks better
- We need Bertuzzi, he's a guy that can spark offense
- Franzen is useless when he's not scoring goals
- Brunner > Hudler by a country mile

All I got for now. I will re-watch the game later to find more stuff. The devil is in the details

The first goal was on Quincey not Smith, not only was he out of position, he didn't block the shot or take away the shooting lane and on top of that he had his stick angled so the shot rose up it into the top corner.

Also Smith was credited with a grand total of "0" giveaways in tonights game, in fact he's listed as having none through the first 3 games. Kronwall leads the defence with 5, and Lashoff and Quincey are 2nd with 1 a piece.

Quincey is running away with the worst +/- though and if being in the box counted against you in +/- he'd be well on his way to a league record.

If anyone deserves to sit when the rest of the D get healthy he should be the first one sent to the pressbox.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Meh... not actually a horrible game if you sit here and think about it. We found a defenseman 2 hours before the game, played the rest of our minor league defensemen, played our should-be-minor-league-defenseman, lost another mediocre defenseman.... and only gave up two goals.

Mostly that's Howard's work.

Our forwards looked decent enough at times and didn't get the bounces. Count half the pipes we've hit as goals and we'd be 3-0.

I like that Huskins. He's what we're missing. Someone who has no real desire to play offense. Someone content to keep the play in front of him. What's wrong with that? Maybe if we had a couple more like that we could keep from burning Jimmy out. That's why kids like Lashoff typically do all right when they're called up. They know they don't know anything so they play safe. I'm pretty sure all of our other defensemen dream of being forwards.

Mule showed a little nastiness these last two games. I like that too.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
He's definitely seemed more engaged this season than in most of last season. Just thought it was a odd time for him to pull the hockey equivalent of the Little League outfielder sitting in the grass and picking flowers when he laid down the in crease and stayed there while the Wings had the puck.

The Dallas defender wouldn't let him off the ice.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Is Brendan Smith struggling that bad? I thought he would be making more of an impack, albeit only 3 games in.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Is Brendan Smith struggling that bad? I thought he would be making more of an impack, albeit only 3 games in.

Smith isnt going to be a good defensive player during his first season. He hasn't been great, but his defensive partner looks like Helen Keller on skates. It is making a bad situation even worse.

HTT3*

He's proving why he is almost 24 and was still in the AHL. He's waayyyy over hyped. Hopefully Holland trades him and gets somebody better.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
He's proving why he is almost 24 and was still in the AHL. He's waayyyy over hyped. Hopefully Holland trades him and gets somebody better.

So Smith is going to be traded for someone better than him?

Smith is playing with Manti Te'o's girlfriend. He is going to look a lot worse than he actually is.

HTT3*

So Smith is going to be traded for someone better than him?

Smith is playing with Manti Te'o's girlfriend. He is going to look a lot worse than he actually is.

Then Ian White started looking really bad... then I realized Babcock moved Smith to be his partner.

It's Smith, he gave CBJs a free point and was the direct result of screening Howard on the first goal tonight. Maybe Holland will trade him for PK Subban's rights... hopefully

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
The Dallas defender wouldn't let him off the ice.

I suppose that's possible, although I don't remember seeing that. I can say that whether or not someone was holding him down, Franzen was in no danger of pulling a muscle or otherwise straining himself in his efforts to fight to get back on his skates.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Then Ian White started looking really bad... then I realized Babcock moved Smith to be his partner.

It's Smith, he gave CBJs a free point and was the direct result of screening Howard on the first goal tonight. Maybe Holland will trade him for PK Subban's rights... hopefully

Nothing you say makes any sense. I admit, my opinion is on the extreme end during most cases, but Brendan Smith is playing his first full year in the NHL.

These things should be expected from Smith. He isn't Lidstrom. He needs time to adjust to the NHL game.

You are saying that Smith is crappy and overrated, yet you expect the Habs to trade a more proven NHL defenseman. Why would they do this? They own Subban's contract rights, so they know he isnt going anywhere.

HTT3*

Nothing you say makes any sense. I admit, my opinion is on the extreme end during most cases, but Brendan Smith is playing his first full year in the NHL.

These things should be expected from Smith. He isn't Lidstrom. He needs time to adjust to the NHL game.

You are saying that Smith is crappy and overrated, yet you expect the Habs to trade a more proven NHL defenseman. Why would they do this? They own Subban's contract rights, so they know he isnt going anywhere.

Lashoff has been better, Smith should take notes. Lashy scored a goal, kills 5 on 4s, 4 on 3s, 5 on 3s... just overall solid. And he is almost 2 years younger.

Mabye we can package up Nyquist and Smith for a good tough defenseman, maybe Bogo or use Smith to trade for PK Subban's rights.. PK is younger too.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
They can't play puck possession anymore.

Remember when people called Lidstrom and Rafalski overpaid?

:laugh:

VampOfVegas

Jun 8, 2009
Not a bad game actually.. I wasnt actually annoyed too much. Except every time Dallas had a scoring chance it seems like Dr. Quincey Medical Women was on the ice.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
Lashoff has been better, Smith should take notes. Lashy scored a goal, kills 5 on 4s, 4 on 3s, 5 on 3s... just overall solid. And he is almost 2 years younger.

Mabye we can package up Nyquist and Smith for a good tough defenseman, maybe Bogo or use Smith to trade for PK Subban's rights.. PK is younger too.

You seriously have lost your mind. Did you expect them to have both to have 3 points already? Nyquist played 1 game, Smith 3, on a shortened season, with a drastically rebuilt team who can't find an identity.

CloneHakanPlease*

If the Wings struggle, a lot of people are going to say, No Lidstrom, No Success.

But that is honestly a very, very simplistic and inaccurate way describing what has happened.

The Wings have been on the slide for 3+ years now.

This. We've been pseudo contenders for awhile.

This game really didn't disappoint me too much though. Quincy sucked, but we all expected that.

The one thing I'm REALLY worried about is Datsyuk's play. For the first time I've ever seen, Datsyuk seemed almost disinterested.

RomersWorld*

To be fair, Smith again was a big reason the Wings' lost.

1st goal was completely his fault IMO by not knowing where he was and completely screening his own goalie. There wasn't even a Stars player near him. Howards makes the save if Smith is in the stands instead of on the ice.

He also had a bad pinch which lead to a 3 on 1 for the Stars against Quincey. If you remember, the Stars almost scored as it seemed to trickle past Howard through the paint but it was wide.

Also he had a brutal giveaway at his blueline...basically just passing it right to the Dallas Stars' defenseman...they get the puck in the offensive zone and it never leaves...2-0 Stars and that is the game. Sure, there was another turnover by the Wings but after Smith's bad turnover the puck never left the Detroit zone so you can partially blame that on him. If he would've just made the right pass or skated it further to throw it deep then it might have gone to overtime.

But so far from what I've seen...Smith has been bad. He was on the ice for 3 goals in the 1st game. He commits dumb penalties that lead to goals like in the 2nd game, while also being on the ice for a couple goals as well. Then tonight he is on the ice for a goal while screening his own goalie and turns the puck over which eventually leads to the game winning goal(although he was "fortunate" to make a bad change right after his turnover so he wasn't on the ice).

CloneHakanPlease*

1st goal was completely his fault IMO by not knowing where he was and completely screening his own goalie. There wasn't even a Stars player near him. Howards makes the save if Smith is in the stands instead of on the ice.

He also had a bad pinch which lead to a 3 on 1 for the Stars against Quincey. If you remember, the Stars almost scored as it seemed to trickle past Howard through the paint but it was wide.

Also he had a brutal giveaway at his blueline...basically just passing it right to the Dallas Stars' defenseman...they get the puck in the offensive zone and it never leaves...2-0 Stars and that is the game. Sure, there was another turnover by the Wings but after Smith's bad turnover the puck never left the Detroit zone so you can partially blame that on him. If he would've just made the right pass or skated it further to throw it deep then it might have gone to overtime.

But so far from what I've seen...Smith has been bad. He was on the ice for 3 goals in the 1st game. He commits dumb penalties that lead to goals like in the 2nd game, while also being on the ice for a couple goals as well. Then tonight he is on the ice for a goal while screening his own goalie and turns the puck over which eventually leads to the game winning goal(although he was "fortunate" to make a bad change right after his turnover so he wasn't on the ice).

Remember some Wing's fans said he was comparable to Subban right now?

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
- Franzen is useless when he's not scoring goals
- Brunner > Hudler by a country mile

Franzen has been playing well, and surprisingly has been physical, engaged, and defensively active. Will it last? Maybe, maybe not. We can hope.

As for Brunner, the kid looks good, but I don't think we can say that about a kid who's played 57 minutes and has scored one goal, with the extra attacker on the ice, on fifteen shots is better than a guy who last season put up 25 goals on 127 shots in 1269 minutes, basically 1.1 goals in the same amount of time Brunner has played, but with a third of the shots taken - and also not playing with both Datsyuk AND Zetterberg.

RedWingsNow*

Datsyuk often spends 50 minutes of the game skating around, playing defense and trying to set up his linemates (the ones smart enough to get him the puck, anyway).

And then, when down by a goal or two, he tries to make plays himself.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I was saying before the season that Quincey was the team's 6th-best defenseman, ahead of only Colaiacovo.

He actually looked a lot better tonight than he did the first two games. Granted, that's not saying a ton. But maybe it's a ign of someone who was just out of game shape and is rounding into form?

I hope.

That's what I thought too. Wings generated some good chances, hit some posts, and Lehtonen had an outstanding game.

This was a good battle. I didn't think any one defenseman really looked putrid. Smitty looked a bit more stable and Lashoff looked more kid-like tonight than the last game.

Offense was getting more pressure on net, were in the Stars zone quite a bit. Love Brunner. Good nose for the net and he loves to shoot!

Howard was outstanding.

Decent game all things said. You hate to lose, but it was a close one and the difference was crossbar here and there (like Fil's early on).

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

That hit was during the pre-season and unintentional.

You need to get over it. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad