Post-Game Talk: Game 3 : DAL @ DET 3 Stars and Wrapup

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
I can't remember the last time they were this bad. It's like 2008 Michigan football all over again. Holland should resign if they don't make the playoffs.

Chillwavin

Dec 13, 2010
ann arbor
Glad to see Brunner get rewarded with a goal at the end.

We can say a lot about these past three games. Our defense sucks yes, we look sloppy yes. But by god Brunner has made me not miss Hudler. So there's that I guess.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Three goats.

1.) Quincey
2.) KQ
3.) Kyle ****ing Quincey

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
My thoughts:

Jimmy Howard: what a ****ing man. He played lights out. Maybe the best I've ever seen. Best Wing by far tonight. Not even close.

Datsyuk: sooo meh for the first couple periods. I don't know what's up with him but he's not himself. Then he decides to go beast mode in the last 10-5 minutes and says "THAT PUCK IS MINE, GIVE ME MY PUCK." You could see his frustration and his intensity in that time. He wanted that puck back from his teammates all the time. And he did good work with it.

Brunner: He's adjusting well. Please give him a few more games on the top6. He's making good plays, getting shots on net. In that vein, I think Nyquist would do well with some time up. He looked decent today. Though it was hard to tell because he didn't seem to get much ice time along with the rest of the second line. I really think he's done all he can in the AHL. It's time to give him a good stint with the big time and see if he's as good as we all hope. But the only way we can be sure is if the kid plays. Just let him play.

Franzen: I think he's trying more this year than last year for sure. My assessment of him last year was that for long stretches, he was a lazy bum. That is not what I see this year. That said, he's paid to score goals. He's gotta score some goals. Only 3 games in, but he's gotta be sniffing.

Q: Dump this guy. Please. He wasn't as bad as the first two games, but that's saying so very little it's kind of a pathetic statement to make.

Third/Fourth lines were pretty good. They generated some offense. Especially in the first period they were grinding and getting some good hits. I liked it. When Helm comes back and we just get so much stronger down the middle, dumping Emmerton and moving Abby down. Soooo much better.

Filppula: I think he's playing well. He was very much a Datsyuk-light. He played with passion in my eyes and I liked it.

Powerplay: Holy jumping. Someone fix this crap. It is flat out terrible. Somehow, the last "powerplay" where it was 4/4 but we pulled Jimmy. THAT was a powerplay. That was intense. First good one all year to be honest. I have my own thoughts on what changes would be good, but at this point I'll take whatever the coaching staff comes up with. Because what they're doing right now? Just awful.

RedWingsNow*

Call it the Post Game Show man... POST GAME SHOW

I missed the first and second period.
Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Why does Lashoff look so small out there?

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
I won't begin to pass judgment on this team until Helm is healthy and when our starting D unit has a few games to get settled in. That said, the past 3 games have not been Red Wing-like.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Franzen: I think he's trying more this year than last year for sure. My assessment of him last year was that for long stretches, he was a lazy bum. That is not what I see this year. That said, he's paid to score goals. He's gotta score some goals. Only 3 games in, but he's gotta be sniffing.

I like what I've seen of Franzen so far.

The big difference? He's engaged physically and isn't coasting in the defensive end, unlike most games in the past few years. If he keeps this up, I won't be able to say he IS a lazy floater who doesn't try hard defensively; just that he WAS one. Of course we're only three games in, so there are 45 games for him to go back to his old habits.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Lehtonen played a hell of a game. As did Howard. Brunner was our best payer outside of Howard tonight.

I don't think we are as bad as people on here make us out to be. Injuries are killing us. As is Kyle Quincey. Huskens didn't look too bad for us tonight, wouldn't mind keeping him around to see what he can do for the PK.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Quincey's confidence is shot and it doesn't even look like he wants to be here.

I was saying before the season that Quincey was the team's 6th-best defenseman, ahead of only Colaiacovo.

He actually looked a lot better tonight than he did the first two games. Granted, that's not saying a ton. But maybe it's a ign of someone who was just out of game shape and is rounding into form?

I hope.

Aug 6, 2012
One positive is that Datsyuk was himself at the end of the game. Controlled the puck like crazy and really dominated.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Just a couple of quick thoughts:

- "You know, if Nyquist isn't going to be in the top-6...."

Babcock puts him up with Datsyuk and Flip, a couple of "meh" shifts, and he's back on the 3rd line.

Remind you of anyone? Anyone else who was "undersized," "highly-skilled," and lit up the AHL?

- Kyle Quincey has GOT. TO. GO. I'm abandoning my "dump Ericsson" campaign to concentrate on Quincey instead.

- Franzen is damned close behind him. He's basically a slightly larger Samuelsson who doesn't play as much on the perimeter.

- Yes, Lashoff got burned on that 2nd goal, but if I had to choose between him and Quincey at this point, I'm taking Lashoff 1,000,000 times out of 100.

- Huskins came in and did what he had to do. Not a bad signing at all.

- I understand Babcock's desire to have a RH shot on the PP point, but I think he may have abandon that quest in the name of MAKING THE PP NOT SUCK.

Otherwise, Jimmy was good. Yeah, that's it.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
I was saying before the season that Quincey was the team's 6th-best defenseman, ahead of only Colaiacovo.

He actually looked a lot better tonight than he did the first two games. Granted, that's not saying a ton. But maybe it's a ign of someone who was just out of game shape and is rounding into form?

I hope.

His ice time was drastically reduced after the first period or say, thankfully.

I think Brunner is a player. He battles and goes to the slot. Looks good particularly with Datsyuk. Maybe try that, regardless of his history with Zetterberg. This isn't the Swiss league anymore.

Well said by Flowah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad