Post-Game Talk: Game 3 : DAL @ DET 3 Stars and Wrapup

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Howard was fantastic- it would have been a football score if not for him and his ridiculous saves.

Really like how Brunner is settling in- seems confident and aggressive on offense, doesn't have that "hesitate to shoot" thing that afflicts most of our forwards, and he goes to the net. If he keeps it up and Babs doesn't bump him down the lineup in favor of his favorite stiffs, the Nose should have a good year.

The PP couldn't be worse, time to change some things. Don't know if Brunner is used to playing the point and I know that Babs is obsessed with having a righty on the point, but move him back to wing on the PP. And start moving the puck crisply instead of the stale "wait for a point shot and hope someone screens the goalie."

Don't know why Tootoo isn't getting on the ice in the 3rd periods, but he plays well and brings energy early, then seems like he's nailed to the bench late. Love having that kind of guy on the team though.

I think Datsyuk may be hurt. Seems more tentative with the puck, turns it over at a Quincey-like rate for most of the game, and doesn't have much jump while skating. He was tearing up the KHL, so I wonder if he got hurt in his last few games there or during camp.

Man alive, hope that White isn't hurt seriously. Huskins did ok tonight, don't mind him on the 3rd pairing.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
-Quincey on the ice for both goals... Directly caused one of them for the umpteenth millionth time.

-Didn't notice Kent Huskins at all. Good.

-Damien Brunner gets his first goal of the season. He is our offense.

-Datsyuk needs to be at center.

-We need a big guy in the top six... Like a Ryane Clowe (Oh hey, guess who hits FA after this season)

-White got injured... Gah... Who's next?

-Lehtonen was his annoying "stop everything shot at me" self. I hate it when Lehtonen is like that. 6'4" is hard to beat.

-They keep playing too cute. I also hate this. Just throw it at the friggin net, it's not that hard a concept.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Howard played very well and how he's expected to play. 1st goal was savable. That 2nd goal is on Datsyuk. What the hell was he doing?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I thought Brunner had a strong game, and finally got rewarded for it. Flip looked alright until he got moved to wing for a few shifts and all of a sudden we saw the Flip from last year re-emerge. The guy's just more of an impact player on the wing.

I really liked Huskins. If he can do this every game, I'd keep him around and keep playing him.

Tootoo deserves more minutes, and I think he brings more to his minutes than Gator and Miller do, who get significantly more. Maybe it's just a reflection of his linemates not getting much time either, but given the general lack of spectacular on our bottom6, this guy should be playing more.

Quincey was noticeably bad. Whenever he's on the ice, a fog of chaos and confusion just seems to follow and everything goes all to hell. When E gets healthy, I'd consider just doing a straight sub and running with Kronwall-Lashoff/Smith-E/Huskins-White as our D pairings.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
3 Stars

1. Lehtonen
2. Howard
3. Ryder

Our PP has to start scoring if we're going to win games. WHY CAN'T WE SCORE GOALS!?!?

SillyBilly

Jan 6, 2013
Don't know if Brunner is used to playing the point and I know that Babs is obsessed with having a righty on the point, but move him back to wing on the PP.

No, he's not. He doesn't have a hard slapshot and will always shift down to the post for a wrister. Also, he's at best average on defense. There is absolutely no reason to have him at the line.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Don't know why Tootoo isn't getting on the ice in the 3rd periods, but he plays well and brings energy early, then seems like he's nailed to the bench late. Love having that kind of guy on the team though.

Combination of playing from behind, and special teams last game (according to Mick, per Babcock) -- otherwise, he's a dynamo out there.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Howard played very well and how he's expected to play. 1st goal was savable. That 2nd goal is on Datsyuk. What the hell was he doing?

2nd goal was on Lashoff. It was his man that was left uncovered. Lashoff was just sort of standing around not doing anything at the time.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
2nd goal was on Lashoff. It was his man that was left uncovered. Lashoff was just sort of standing around not doing anything at the time.

I think it was a combination of things, but yeah, ultimately it was on Lashoff (though he did block the shot immediately prior):

- Datsyuk didn't come down with the forward;
- Quincey was chasing his man behind the net;
- Lashoff didn't see the forward coming in because he was watching the play

Meh.

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
Sigh. Obviously, it is tough to draw too many conclusions with so many defenseman out of the lineup. As others have said, we need to see the team with Helm, and Ericsson back at a minimum before we can really judge our potential. That said, referring to Ericsson as a necessary cog to our team demonstrates how much we have fallen.

This could be who we are. We have some nice, if aging, forwards and a goalie who is pretty underrated around the league.

The defense is, as most people expected, a dumpster fire. The big surprise thru three games is the lack of offense. When the post-lockout Wings were at their best, the Offense was created in large part by the precision and puck control of the defense core. Even when we are healthy, we lack that in a large way currently. As a result, I expect our offense and, especially the PP to continue to suffer.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Combination of playing from behind, and special teams last game (according to Mick, per Babcock) -- otherwise, he's a dynamo out there.

I get the specials teams thing, but in tonight's game, only behind by 2 goals in the 3rd and in the 2nd game of back-to-back's, he has a ton of jump and could spark something in the offensive zone. A big hit, turnover, etc... give him a shift or two with the skill guys, see what happens. That's what I think, anyway. Feel free to pass it along to Babs if you have a pull with the coach. ;)

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Just got back from the game, and i can safely say, that was probably the most gutless home opener performance i have seen from the last five home openers i have been to.

A bunch of awful shots with almost no chance of going in. \

Quincey had a better game, but he is still awful.

Brunner looked better, but i am not even going to count that garbage goal.

What can i say about the PP that already hasn't been said?

Defense is still awful, but Howard bailed the team out so the score looked respectable.

Ken Holland built a garbage team.

The CBJ win was not pretty, and this loss was down right ugly. It looked more like the Blues game, than the Blue Jackets game during the first two periods.

These observations are after i had 15 or so drinks. Take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
I get the specials teams thing, but in tonight's game, only behind by 2 goals in the 3rd and in the 2nd game of back-to-back's, he has a ton of jump and could spark something in the offensive zone. A big hit, turnover, etc... give him a shift or two with the skill guys, see what happens. That's what I think, anyway. Feel free to pass it along to Babs if you have a pull with the coach. ;)

Hah, I obviously don't, because I was screaming for Hudler to have a larger role the entire time he was here.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
The PP couldn't be worse, time to change some things. Don't know if Brunner is used to playing the point and I know that Babs is obsessed with having a righty on the point, but move him back to wing on the PP. And start moving the puck crisply instead of the stale "wait for a point shot and hope someone screens the goalie."

Apparently he played the point in Switzerland for years, but it's not working here. Given Babs stubbornness I don't see the PP units changing for at least 2 more games, if it's still impotent by then Babs will be forced to mix it up.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
My take on the game. Howard played spectacular and I've been a huge howard fan since he's been here. Kari played insane as well deserved the W. Brunner is coming into his own and playing with intensity. I really wish Nyquist could get a shot in the top two lines and get some more experience. I'm not writing the team off I'll stay on the ship till it sinks. With that being said. Offensively cleary did nothing besides block one of smith's shot from potentially getting through. Too Too why does he get little to no IT in the 3rd, guy actually plays like he gives a ****. Franzen, I'm not on that wagon of Franzen haters but I'm slowly drifting that way. He got dumped in front of the stars net and just laid there for easily like 10 seconds it's like dude get up and shake it off, go make something happen. I'm pretty disappointed in the lines I have a totally different vision however I'm not the coach. As far as defense goes, I would say it's really not that bad...except for Q he is a friggin curse. I swear he has been on the ice for every goal. Smith as with all of the young guys are going to make mistakes it happens but when your paired with someone who looks like they've never played hockey you don't even get the benefit of the doubt for them to like back you up or save you. Case in point, I would much rather see all new blood in the line up and not make the playoffs, get them adjusted and ready for a full 82 game season next year. End rant lol.

HTT3*

2nd goal was on Lashoff, the 1st goal was on Smith; he is great at screening the goalie... but for the wrong team :laugh:

- Wings can't score. Whopping 4 goals in 3 games.
- Wings PP is anemic.
- Their goalie is better than ours
- Datsyuk's head is in Russia (he's bolting after his contract expires just like Stuart)
- Zetterberg is proving to be "lead by example", my favorite player.
- Smith is a giveaway machine
- Nyquist proving why he's not in the NHL yet... way undersized for his style of play.
- Filppula can't finish but is playing well
- Tootoo is a BEAST
- Huskin was stable - that's all you can ask for
- I like Lashoff, he should take Smith's spot after we get some dmen back
- The bottom six looks better
- We need Bertuzzi, he's a guy that can spark offense
- Franzen is useless when he's not scoring goals
- Brunner > Hudler by a country mile

All I got for now. I will re-watch the game later to find more stuff. The devil is in the details

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Franzen, I'm not on that wagon of Franzen haters but I'm slowly drifting that way. He got dumped in front of the stars net and just laid there for easily like 10 seconds it's like dude get up and shake it off, go make something happen.

It may have been late in the 3rd and the Wings REALLY needed a goal, but Mule decided to do his Buster imitation. You never know when inspiration will strike someone.

Aug 6, 2012
I don't get the complaints about Franzen. He was vital in two of our goals yesterday and he's been working hard. I think you guys are letting your bias towards him blind you from his performance. Yes, he could be doing better but he's the least of our problems at the moment.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
I don't get the complaints about Franzen. He was vital in two of our goals yesterday and he's been working hard. I think you guys are letting your bias towards him blind you from his performance. Yes, he could be doing better but he's the least of our problems at the moment.

My problem with him: he's too damned inconsistent.

One game he's fired up, playing like a madman, and creating offense.

The next game he's literally lying down in the crease.

If he would give a solid effort, game in and game out, I wouldn't have a problem with him "only" scoring 25-30 goals and being slightly above-average defensively.

RedWingsNow*

lmao, yeah, well its as if the Wings lost a great general, and now its military (team) has no vision or leadership.

If the Wings struggle, a lot of people are going to say, No Lidstrom, No Success.

But that is honestly a very, very simplistic and inaccurate way describing what has happened.

The Wings have been on the slide for 3+ years now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad