GDT: Game 3: Coyotes @ Canadiens - 4:30 PM

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Oh, I thought for sure we'd just reset the clock yet again because the previous awfulness was under the miserly Don Maloney who just refused to spend all that sweet, sweet money IA kept throwing toward our budget to make us competitive. It's year 1 anno Domini Tippettus, right?

Also, "ignorance of the game" accusations are the highest form of discourse from the apologists. You've completely convinved me.

They're moving the goalposts yet again. The Tippett apologist whined non-stop during '14-'15 that it was "the first year of the rebuild", while we complained we were already several years deep.

This would be year 3 of the rebuild, using their mental gymnastics, while the rest of us would say we're four or five years deep already.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think there's a very real possibility that Tippett sees this as his last job and wouldn't take another if fired, leaving the team on the hook for his silly salary. The organization is married to him. You guys can squabble about if you want but I don't really see the point.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
They're moving the goalposts yet again. The Tippett apologist whined non-stop during '14-'15 that it was "the first year of the rebuild", while we complained we were already several years deep.

This would be year 3 of the rebuild, using their mental gymnastics, while the rest of us would say we're four or five years deep already.

With the team built around 2 rookie centers, 2 sophomore top line wing's, a 23 year old top 4 dman, supported by 3 players with less than two years experience what did you expect?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think there's a very real possibility that Tippett sees this as his last job and wouldn't take another if fired, leaving the team on the hook for his silly salary. The organization is married to him. You guys can squabble about if you want but I don't really see the point.

They aren't going to fire him right after extending him. They're hooked deep. I can see him possibily being "promoted" out of the way at some point, but they won't fold this early after all the hype they built around the hires/fires this offseason. And they appear absolutely in love with him to give him that power anyway. They had to know it was going to be a rough year, so they'll ride it out.

There were bad teams under Tippett that still played a structured game and tried. We just haven't seen that in a long time. Coaches have a shelf life. Tippett seems to be past it and seems unable to improvise. Hopefully this season is the finale (last second music puns to save the streak) if he can't show some on ice improvement.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
With the team built around 2 rookie centers, 2 sophomore top line wing's, a 23 year old top 4 dman, supported by 3 players with less than two years experience what did you expect?

I'm not buying that excuse. The team has played the same way since 2012 regardless of age, skill level, and experience. The faults are systemic. Whether it's Tippett's system or his assistant coaches', I don't know. But there's some pervasive malaise that has shown very little sign of improving over time.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I'm not buying that excuse. The team has played the same way since 2012 regardless of age, skill level, and experience. The faults are systemic. Whether it's Tippett's system or his assistant coaches', I don't know. But there's some pervasive malaise that has shown very little sign of improving over time.

I thought last year was different than the year prior, a lot more speed. More skill. This season so far the play is more open. Although not always in a good way, it is different than 2+ years ago. There looks to be a transition to a quicker, more offensive game. Which I thought people were commenting on after our win.... The issue to me is that the team is sloppy, poor chemistry. But I expect that with the new faces, and there being young players.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

A little over 10 days ago, this is what you expected...

WrinkledPossum said:
If the team had just went .500 in February, instead of just getting 3 wins they would've only finished like 2 or so points out of a playoff spot. Also I think there will be more parity in the conference which I think will benefit the Coyotes. Most of the playoff teams from last year have gotten weaker.

So I think the team will take one of the 2 wild card spots. Possibly the last Pacific spot, I could see one of the California teams having a really bad season

I just expect some modicum of improvement and effort that shows the players in harmony with some system the coach is orchestrating. We've rotated so many veterans through the line up and had some of our worst showings with veteran heavy teams. Please don't tell me that it's the young players that have drug us to 144 losses over the past 227 games. After 227 games the players still don't look in synch or like they care.
GMDT is both the coach and the decision maker on the roster. There's no where to pass the buck to other than the "young players" now. Veteran players don't look to be playing in the system either. Is the coach not getting them ready to "execute" or are the players not that great? Either way it's on the same crew who assembled and coached them. It'd be another thing altogether if the vets familiar with the system looked tight and the young guys looked sloppy. That's not what is happening here.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
A little over 10 days ago, this is what you expected...

I just expect some modicum of improvement and effort that shows the players in harmony with some system the coach is orchestrating. We've rotated so many veterans through the line up and had some of our worst showings with veteran heavy teams. Please don't tell me that it's the young players that have drug us to 144 losses over the past 227 games. After 227 games the players still don't look in synch or like they care.
GMDT is both the coach and the decision maker on the roster. There's no where to pass the buck to other than the "young players" now. Veteran players don't look to be playing in the system either. Is the coach not getting them ready to "execute" or are the players not that great? Either way it's on the same crew who assembled and coached them. It'd be another thing altogether if the vets familiar with the system looked tight and the young guys looked sloppy. That's not what is happening here.

Again. We've only seen 3 games. 3 games are not a season. I'm going to wait until we get past this 6 game road trip, and Dvo and Strome settle in before I start saying that Tipp should be fired, everything is a disaster...

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I think there's an awful lot of overreacting going on here.

The team is flat out not cohesively executing, plain and simple. Every player has been sporadic and inconsistent. This should improve as time goes on, but there are many players that need to step up. We're 1 and 3 thus far tied with Kings and Ducks, all is not yet lost.

However....
Currently sporting a save % of .767 and a GAA of 11.35, Domingue could be a huge concern moving forward. I heard a joke earlier today that scoring in the NHL is up because of Louie Domingue.

MisterY

May 7, 2010
Enigmatown
Hi Coyotes fans, I think some of you are over-reacting. You have a very young team, at every position.

Give it time, you are in the right road.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hi Coyotes fans, I think some of you are over-reacting. You have a very young team, at every position.

Give it time, you are in the right road.

My sense of the first four games is that the young players have been the ones making the difference. Martinook, Chychrun, Strome. Richardson is the only vet making a big impact. I'd confirm this with stats except that the Coyotes' stat engine is busted at the moment. :rant:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My sense of the first four games is that the young players have been the ones making the difference. Martinook, Chychrun, Strome. Richardson is the only vet making a big impact. I'd confirm this with stats except that the Coyotes' stat engine is busted at the moment. :rant:

If you look at stats, five of our top seven are vets. We all know stats do not tell the whole story, but it's players like Hanzal and OEL that have to pick up their play, and carry more of the load. With 8 new players it will take time but it will come, and last nights game I thought we played much better. My biggest concern is our goalies. Last years golden boys, Domi and Duke will get better, but 1 pt. between them is not good enough. Dvo and Strome are starting to settle in and are getting more involved, so I believe they will get better as the year goes on. We are building a good team here.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
If you look at stats, five of our top seven are vets. We all know stats do not tell the whole story, but it's players like Hanzal and OEL that have to pick up their play, and carry more of the load. With 8 new players it will take time but it will come, and last nights game I thought we played much better. My biggest concern is our goalies. Last years golden boys, Domi and Duke will get better, but 1 pt. between them is not good enough. Dvo and Strome are starting to settle in and are getting more involved, so I believe they will get better as the year goes on. We are building a good team here.

Not only factual, but VERY well said.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

The vets stats are the result of the kids dragging their old butts along around the ice. They are the ones dictating play (when they do get the chance to dictate it.)

Feck's correct on this. You can see it in how they play. That's something stats don't tell you.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The vets stats are the result of the kids dragging their old butts along around the ice. They are the ones dictating play (when they do get the chance to dictate it.)

Feck's correct on this. You can see it in how they play. That's something stats don't tell you.

I disagree. Overall I think we have a good mixture of youth and vets, it's just to find that chemistry to run on all eight cylinders. Everyone has to contribute and do what they do best for us to be a competitive team. Domi and Duclair have to score, Hanzal and OEL a little more engaged and it goes on and on for every player. Eventually, the kids or maybe should say younger players will dictate play after they gain more experience etc. but don't say the kids are dragging the vets old butts along around the ice. By the end of the year you may be right, but not now. I think we are building a very exciting team here with good leadership and mentorship.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I disagree. Overall I think we have a good mixture of youth and vets, it's just to find that chemistry to run on all eight cylinders. Everyone has to contribute and do what they do best for us to be a competitive team. Domi and Duclair have to score, Hanzal and OEL a little more engaged and it goes on and on for every player. Eventually, the kids or maybe should say younger players will dictate play after they gain more experience etc. but don't say the kids are dragging the vets old butts along around the ice. By the end of the year you may be right, but not now. I think we are building a very exciting team here with good leadership and mentorship.

Marty Hanzal disagrees with you. Even he has admitted the leaders (including himself) aren't stepping up enough.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
This year feels very different that the start of last season because we didn't come out hot and the rookies haven't been ass vuvuzela trumpeting good. Domi and Duke had an extra year of development and came exploding out the gate. Chychrun has really been the only comparable. Gogo is seemingly having the same adjustment pains Hamilton went through and Strome/Dvo are getting better each game. I think this years team is going to steadily get better throughout the season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This year feels very different that the start of last season because we didn't come out hot and the rookies haven't been ass vuvuzela trumpeting good. Domi and Duke had an extra year of development and came exploding out the gate. Chychrun has really been the only comparable. Gogo is seemingly having the same adjustment pains Hamilton went through and Strome/Dvo are getting better each game. I think this years team is going to steadily get better throughout the season.

You bet it will. Domi and Duke will have to adjust their game a bit because every team has a read on them now, but I'm confident that will adjust.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00