GDT: Game 3: Coyotes @ Canadiens - 4:30 PM

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
If they don't start clicking soon, this will be a loooooong season :(

Still, plenty of criticism for Vrbata and Goligoski, but they aren't too bad (compared to the rest of the team):

Martinook - 4 points
Richardson and Goligoski - 3 points
Chychrun (2 Games), Doan, Vrbata, Hanzal, OEL, and Murphy - 2 points​

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I have a question...Tippett over the past 2 games talks about execution, and obviously he's right, they need to play better.

My question is the "system" is too difficult to "execute"?, because we've had Tippett saying the same thing over the last several years.

...at this point it's almost a broken record every game we lose, there is lots of try but they need to execute better.

The execution is simply going to come down to doing what is actually needed. Take the Hanzal giveaway against the Senators. He shielded the puck from player, and tried to make a backhand pass to the open defenseman. Did everything right, in terms of finding the right play to make. The execution of the backhand was piss-poor.

My question is more on the defensive side. In 09-10 season, the concept was preached of a "simple" game. As years have passed and we moved on to Playfair, I feel like our defense has devolved. A lot.

Now, the players that were here between 09-12 were all solid veterans - none were true liabilities out on the ice, even though some did some good things and some did not. Players like Lepisto and Vandermeer are not quite as talented as some of the D that we have today, but the fact is that those players worked together so fluidly, and now it seems like no one communicates and there is no recognition of the events that occur on the ice. Those moments when we are one step behind are becoming more and more frequent. It just makes me think that players are not on the same page with what Playfair is teaching, and if you are not on the same page, it becomes harder to have proper execution.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I have a question...Tippett over the past 2 games talks about execution, and obviously he's right, they need to play better.

My question is the "system" is too difficult to "execute"?, because we've had Tippett saying the same thing over the last several years.

...at this point it's almost a broken record every game we lose, there is lots of try but they need to execute better.

In some ways it sounds like an excuse. Does he ever blame the coaching? How about the team the GM put together? What else can you say other than the team didn't play well enough...in other words - EXECUTE!

It comes down to consistency. Think of a hitter in baseball. The best hitters fail 7 out of 10 times. So in hockey, you will fail sometimes, but how many missed passes, turnovers, etc. make you a .220 hitter instead of .300?

I would much rather have DT say lack of execution vs lack of try. The execution will get better as the youngest team in Coyotes history grows into future Cup champions.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
But fellas, they "are" trying to run a system, is that system conducive to the talent we have?

I'd would much rather have an up tempo style that let's the talent come out, given we've got more "talent" and less "experience".

I think the reigns on the system are a little too tight for the boys at the moment.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
<vent>

They gave the reins to Tippett. Gave him the key to the store. This is his roster, the one Chayka built for him. So there's no more deflecting blame onto the GM or onto the lack of roster quality that'd he'd like to have.

I've watched three games. I see the same exact issues that have plagued this team on the ice for five-plus years plaguing them now. Same near-complete inability to gain the offensive zone. Same Keystone Kops act in the defensive zone. Same excruciating emphasis on long-distance shooting. Same bent-at-the-waist-and-flailing-stick level of effort. Same post-game quotes about "execution" and "compete level."

Package that in with the annual Smith injury and a Louis Domingue meltdown, and I'm surprised the bleeding has been as light as it has been so far.

I think if I had been able to afford to reup my tix this year, I'd be more angry about it. As it is, I'm still titanically frustrated. Mostly at myself, for subjecting myself to watching this mediocre brand of hockey year after year. And I can't help but wonder - is it realistic to assume that this team could develop into a Cup contender without a change in coaching?

</vent>

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The only solace I take is that Tippet has no more exuses. He won the power struggle and the roster has been built his way. If we continue to lose, he will have no one to blame. Then hopefully he is canned. It's too bad that ownership seems hopelessly enamored with him and signed him go a 5 year extension.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The only solace I take is that Tippet has no more exuses. He won the power struggle and the roster has been built his way. If we continue to lose, he will have no one to blame. Then hopefully he is canned. It's too bad that ownership seems hopelessly enamored with him and signed him go a 5 year extension.

1 home win, 2 road losses, 5 rookies starting, AHL goal tender in game 3=fire coach:)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If they don't start clicking soon, this will be a loooooong season :(

Still, plenty of criticism for Vrbata and Goligoski, but they aren't too bad (compared to the rest of the team):

Martinook - 4 points
Richardson and Goligoski - 3 points
Chychrun (2 Games), Doan, Vrbata, Hanzal, OEL, and Murphy - 2 points​
More telling numbers for me through 3 games:
Goligoski -5
Hanzal -4
White/Domi/Duclair -3

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
1 home win, 2 road losses, 5 rookies starting, AHL goal tender in game 3=fire coach:)
and if they win tonight they're .500, playing 5 rookies, dealing with Smith injury, playing 3 of 4 on the road (all eastern conf)..........and still have 78 games left.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It's been 3 games, so not going to go bananas here (will wait until at least 10 games to really let them have it).

But Feckless brings up two things that need addressing:

1. Inability to gain the offensive zone. We do have our struggles. But I think this is one area where the team has adapted well. It is limited viewings, but it would appear that our scoring chances are up from previous years. Even if we struggle to gain the zone, when we do gain it, we are getting shots from better areas and a little more sustained pressure (still not enough, but again, better than previous versions of our team). I am less concerned about this one.

2. Keystone Kops act in the defensive zone. This is the major problem. I am not saying that defense won't struggle at times or have bad games. But, we are continually appearing to get worse instead of better from a team defense standpoint. I honestly think that when Tippett was first brought in as coach, we benefited greatly from having Ulf as our coach to get us through training camp. I think he worked heavily on the defensive side of things with both defensemen and forwards, even to the point of sacrificing some offense to get players back and in great position defensively. The outcome was a less potent offense, but one that would capitalize on others mistakes. We haven't had that in years, and the bigger problem is that there should be an expectation to improve on D with more years in Playfair's system. My only hope is that the team winds up giving up 3+ goals per game in the next 10 games, and at that point, we have to fire Playfair, don't we? How many more years of defensive shortcomings will clue us in that maybe we are not responding to Playfair in the same way?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
More telling numbers for me through 3 games:
Goligoski -5
Hanzal -4
White/Domi/Duclair -3

Goligoski is also being paired with a player who should be on the 3rd line, so I am slightly more forgiving there...

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I think the key is we need to be more sharp .

Wow, you really are in tune with what's going on.

giphy.gif

Quit with that or y'all are going to be in treble.

KG

Sep 23, 2010

Let's not pretend this is just about this season, but then again, Tippet apologists don't listen to reason.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Let's not pretend this is just about this season, but then again, Tippet apologists don't listen to reason.

The funny thing is that it is more clear than ever that Tippett has been willing to change things up and adapt. The argument was that Tippett is simply set in his ways like a crotchety old man, and that is not close to the truth.

However, the fact of the matter is that we are still losing games. With no less than 8 players who have yet to play in 100 NHL games, there are going to be some trying times. But Tippett is correct when he talks about a lack of execution. Players have not executed the way that they should.

I am also of the idea that something on defense isn't working. If people want to harp on Tippett for defending Playfair as a defensive coach, then that is fine and I totally agree with burying Tip if he is a proponent of Playfair as a coach. But that's about the only thing that Tippett has truly failed at. If he had to play some of the players he had b/c Maloney had a greater influence on the roster, you can't fault Tip for that. Signing Ribeiro? Riberio and his agent reached out to DM and DT first. Chance to add an elite C was a risk worth taking that didn't work out.

The only thing that DT can be faulted for at this point is not fixing the problem that is Playfair. That's it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
<vent>

They gave the reins to Tippett. Gave him the key to the store. This is his roster, the one Chayka built for him. So there's no more deflecting blame onto the GM or onto the lack of roster quality that'd he'd like to have.

I've watched three games. I see the same exact issues that have plagued this team on the ice for five-plus years plaguing them now.

This is year one of a rebuild. What did you expect? All those other seasons don't count.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is year one of a rebuild. What did you expect? All those other seasons don't count.

Your wrong, as usual, but this is year two of the rebuild. Your just showing your ignorance of the game if you think years prior to IA ownership should be included in your analysis.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

83 wins, 144 losses over past 227 games. Team looks uninterested and lost over most of that period. Let's promote the coach and give him control of hockey ops and a huge extension. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad