GDT: Game 3: Coyotes @ Canadiens - 4:30 PM

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
NHL game 2: Strome is not making any impact despite looking pretty good, an assist, three shots, saving a goal and ringing one of the post. 4th line impact.

Maybe the expectations are not that reasonable :dunno:

I don't actually think he's looked "good". He hasn't looked bad, though. And I didn't say he has had the impact of a 4th liner, I said the plays he made, especially the play in front of the net are likely plays any center would make as that's where a center should be.

I figured many would be upset I pointed this out. Just don't act shocked if he's sent down if he continues to play as he has. Maybe my expectations are too high. Just looking at the 4th and 5th picks from his draft year, they both look far better than he does.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
With no one mentioning this I feel like I may have been imagining things... No one remember Stromes pass from just outside our crease to Montreal's blue line that would have got us a break away if Doan wasn't slow? It was a perfect pass, if it was any lighter the Montreal defender would have got it. It was in the the perfect spot but Doan just couldn't catch up to it. Anyone else would have...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Two plays pretty much any 4th liner could have made, though. You have to understand the expectations for Strome are more than that.

I agree. He has to be much better, like about 20 other players on the team. I think the biggest problem right now is execution, and the is because we don't have the chemistry with having so many new faces. This will be a long tough year and there is no two ways around it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I officially predict "chasing the game", "not enough try/compete", and "execute"

CvQkZdGWEAArmkJ.jpg:large

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
that's where a center should be.

Oh, well, I can see why you're disappointed... he's only being solid positionally and making nice passes.

And your right, he doesn't look as exciting as Marner.

Marner 4GP 1g 1a -3 avgTOI 16:19 with PP time

Strome 2GP 0g 1a -2 avgTOI 13:48

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree. He has to be much better, like about 20 other players on the team. I think the biggest problem right now is execution, and the is because we don't have the chemistry with having so many new faces. This will be a long tough year and there is no two ways around it.

Lack of chemistry and so many young players. Too many bad reads on D, mostly by forwards. Scoring chances against have been really high the last 2 games, that has to stop. The D get hung out sometimes because the forwards are not back checking like they should. I can see why Tip is playing Dauphin. He is solid in all 3 zones. I think he is this years Martinook. I don't see him out of the line up any time soon.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

He saw lots of try, and there was no "chasing the game".

:(

Apparently Domi and Duclair were bad enough to single out though... :help:

I can see why Tip is playing Dauphin.
Dauphins strongest game by far, even without the shorty. Chychrun has looked much better than I expected against NHL players.
My main concern is how sloppy the veterans have looked (I expect the youngsters to look lost occasionally), and I don't see the same "lots of try" that Tippett is seeing.
I knew we were going to be bad. I just don't want to look like we don't give a damn. It's the same look we've had for three seasons, and I'm starting to have Whisenhunt deja vu with all the "We know the system works. We had success with it. We just have to execute" pressers over the past few years.

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Oh, well, I can see why you're disappointed... he's only being solid positionally and making nice passes.

And your right, he doesn't look as exciting as Marner.

Marner 4GP 1g 1a -3 avgTOI 16:19 with PP time

Strome 2GP 0g 1a -2 avgTOI 13:48

I didn't say he's been solid positionally. He was on that play. However on the rush and on breakouts, he is actually not where he should be. He's so far behind the play that when he gets there, the play has moved on. There were multiple instances where the puck was dumped in and the defender was able to get to the puck, look up, and pass the puck before he even got there to put pressure.

Have you actually watched Marner play? Not just pulled up the stats, but actually watched every game? How about Hanifin? No? I didn't think so.

Get your panties in a knot all you like. I just want to see more out of him. You think if he was having more of an impact he would have played more than 13 minutes, no?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I didn't say he's been solid positionally. He was on that play. However on the rush and on breakouts, he is actually not where he should be. He's so far behind the play that when he gets there, the play has moved on. There were multiple instances where the puck was dumped in and the defender was able to get to the puck, look up, and pass the puck before he even got there to put pressure.

Have you actually watched Marner play? Not just pulled up the stats, but actually watched every game? How about Hanifin? No? I didn't think so.

Get your panties in a knot all you like. I just want to see more out of him. You think if he was having more of an impact he would have played more than 13 minutes, no?

I have seen Marner play. He's very dynamic. The point was it hasn't translated into production. Hanifin has also looked promising (though I haven't seen a single Carolina game this season). I don't know why we have to compare Strome to them to evaluate Strome. What did you expect after watching the preseason? Maybe that should have lowered your expectations. If you expect Strome to look like Marner, you're going to be disappointed.
I'm not even a huge Strome booster. It's not like you're kicking my dog. I was vocal about being open to trading down for a top ten chance at Barzal and a proven young NHL player because I didn't think Strome was a ton better than Barzal.
So maybe my expectations being lower than yours is precisely why my panties aren't in a knot over his two NHL games to date. And of course I'd like to see more out of him. And almost every other player on the roster. I just didn't expect him to step in and out up points and look like Domi out of the gate. And I don't think time in Erie will help him at all.
Also, I can't believe I have to say it after last year, but I don't think GMDT's TOI allotments always square with on ice performance, no.

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
we're only 3 games in fellas...the most important thing we need to work on is getting the defense right.

We're not going to win very many games giving up 5 goals.

I've never been a Playfair fan, our Defense has only been good 1 year, basically Year 1 in the Playfair era...and we've been garbage ever since.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
NHL game 2: Strome is not making any impact despite looking pretty good, an assist, three shots, saving a goal and ringing one of the post. 4th line impact.

Maybe the expectations are not that reasonable :dunno:

IMO it's really easy to be critical of Strome, especially after we were metaphorically molested by the lottery, in the McEichel sweepstakes. It's a tall order trying to stack up to thise two, and I wouldn't wish the role on anyone.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I've never been a Playfair fan, our Defense has only been good 1 year, basically Year 1 in the Playfair era...and we've been garbage ever since.

We just extended him along with the Tippett promotion. We had the perfect opportunity to start clean slate this offseason with regards to the front office and coaching, and we publicly shamed and dumped one and married the other instead.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I have seen Marner play. He's very dynamic. The point was it hasn't translated into production. Hanifin has also looked promising (though I haven't seen a single Carolina game this season). I don't know why we have to compare Strome to them to evaluate Strome. What did you expect after watching the preseason? Maybe that should have lowered your expectations. If you expect Strome to look like Marner, you're going to be disappointed.
I'm not even a huge Strome booster. It's not like you're kicking my dog. I was vocal about being open to trading down for a top ten chance at Barzal and a proven young NHL player because I didn't think Strome was a ton better than Barzal.
So maybe my expectations being lower than yours is precisely why my panties aren't in a knot over his two NHL games to date. And of course I'd like to see more out of him. And almost every other player on the roster. I just didn't expect him to step in and out up points and look like Domi out of the gate. And I don't think time in Erie will help him at all.
Also, I can't believe I have to say it after last year, but I don't think GMDT's TOI allotments always square with on ice performance, no.

Who wants Marner anyway? Strome hasn't been good so far but he's a completely different type of player. Marner may have scored a few points alongside Dvorak but I doubt that his potential is even close to Strome's. Even though he hasn't been good he at least hasn't done too much wrong. Can't say the same about Marner who's a constant liability against the puck. Obviously I'm Swiss but I'd say that even Malgin outplayed Marner so far. Those are similar type of players...just that Malgin was a 4th rounder :yo:

I liked Strome towards the end of the game. At least there seems to be some kind of progress.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
we're only 3 games in fellas...the most important thing we need to work on is getting the defense right.

We're not going to win very many games giving up 5 goals.

Which defender was bad? McBain...and? Ok, Goligoski could be better...but the problem lies elsewhere. Our forwards don't have possession because of stupid giveaways and they're terrible against the puck. Rieder, Domi and Duclair look awful, Vrbata is a constant liability anyway and even Hanzal seems to struggle. If you add the inexperienced Strome that gives you a terrible mix. McGinn, about as mobile as a turtle, will fit right in, believe me. Should be fun to watch.
Honestly. Was a terrible to sit Crouse who didn't do anything wrong. With so many forward just casually floating around you just cannot sit Crouse who played solid minutes and actually seemed to care.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Can't say the same about Marner who's a constant liability against the puck. Obviously I'm Swiss but I'd say that even Malgin outplayed Marner so far.

Domi and Duclair look awful

Some might casual takes you've got there. Opinions and all, but I don't see the case for any of this.

With no one mentioning this I feel like I may have been imagining things... No one remember Stromes pass from just outside our crease to Montreal's blue line that would have got us a break away if Doan wasn't slow? It was a perfect pass, if it was any lighter the Montreal defender would have got it. It was in the the perfect spot but Doan just couldn't catch up to it. Anyone else would have...

Strome is fine. Not even worth *****ing about. Not amazing, not bad. Just doing his thing, same as Dvorak. It's really a lot of the veterans that are invisible or bad. Hanzal was absolutely brutal on every pass tonight.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chychrun was our best player.

Domi looks great. Rest of team out of sync.

Hanzal has been awful.

Schenn way, way better than I thought.

Honestly believe Strome would do okay on a less scrambley, sloppy, herky jerky, all over the place minor league style "NHL team".

White and McBain need some time off to re-assess.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal obviously had a well drilled set play and pretty much scored four times in a row with the same tactic. A bit lucky but they'll keep scoring that way until other teams figure that out which the Coyotes couldnt do. I actually thought the Coyotes looked the more creative team with the kids even if it was out of necessity/desperation. It was fun watching Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Strome and Chychrun making plays. Oh and Dauphin. Lots to like for the future. The coaches need to earn their salaries and bring the team together. Monteal looked like a team that had a more effective preseason but they have also played more games.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I have a question...Tippett over the past 2 games talks about execution, and obviously he's right, they need to play better.

My question is the "system" is too difficult to "execute"?, because we've had Tippett saying the same thing over the last several years.

...at this point it's almost a broken record every game we lose, there is lots of try but they need to execute better.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Lack of chemistry and so many young players. Too many bad reads on D, mostly by forwards. Scoring chances against have been really high the last 2 games, that has to stop. The D get hung out sometimes because the forwards are not back checking like they should. I can see why Tip is playing Dauphin. He is solid in all 3 zones. I think he is this years Martinook. I don't see him out of the line up any time soon.

I don't blame the kids, the vets have to show the way, but like you said, most of the players aren't doing their jobs. This early road trip will end up being a blessing in disguise.

I'm looking forward to having Stone, McGinn and KConn get into the lineup.

KConn? Where would you want to play him?

I have a question...Tippett over the past 2 games talks about execution, and obviously he's right, they need to play better.

My question is the "system" is too difficult to "execute"?, because we've had Tippett saying the same thing over the last several years.

...at this point it's almost a broken record every game we lose, there is lots of try but they need to execute better.

If you go to other teams pressers you hear that from other coaches all the time. If you can't complete a pass, you don't execute. Skating like the wind is the easy part (try), but making more than one good pass (execution) is the hard part. Try+execute=puck possession= wins.

Last edited by a moderator:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
It was fun watching Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Strome and Chychrun making plays. Oh and Dauphin. Lots to like for the future.

My sentiment exactly. Still optimistic of what this team can become in the future once they mature. Can't expect all our rookies to look like McEichel right away.

A recent study showed that NHL players peak beginning age 23.

Coyotes 23 and under:
Dauphin
Domi
Duclair
Strome
Rieder
Dvorak
Crouse
Chychrun
Murphy

Studs over 23 who might still be around when we win the Cup in a few years:
OEL
Martinook

Everyone else (most of the players ya'll are complaining about), quite likely will be gone by then, replaced by other vets or youngsters.

Bottom line...it's a process.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Really simple coverage breakdowns on the first three even strength goals against. Unlucky bounce on the last one. I don't think I've ever liked the way our wingers fail to cover the high player properly.

I'm annoyed but I'm not long-term discouraged about this year's team.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
IMO Strome was told to work on his defensive game and that has made him uncomfortable positionally. Cheating closer to the blue line than being comfortable playing his natural game.

We need forwards with the 200 ft. game playing now. Dauphin, Martinook, Crouse, Fischer - don't know who else...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad