3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We talk about how we don't have a good forecheck in the offensive zone. And to a large degree it's true and evident in the losses we have accumulated. But just re-watch the 3rd goal. Mika had amazing anticipation......watching the play on the right half wall, saw what they were trying to do and GANG RUSHED Sanheim, closed him off the puck and fed to Buchy in front. THAT was classic Zibadass. Not previous Zisadass.

And his setup to Trouba for 5th goal. Originally I had thought he hesitated and passed up a prime scoring chance, (and he did hold on too long) but all's well that ends well.....as we scored regardless and got Trouba his 1st and long time coming.
Now Lindgren has got to get his next game.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
@Ola I don't know if you overcomplicate or oversimplify things. Straight forward - the system that coach install allows Zibanejad and Panarin lines each to produce sufficiently at the first line levels at ES. Third line should produce some goals too but there's a lot less pressure on them and constantly improved Chytil seems to be doing just fine. So again, I have no idea of why Quinn is blamed for stifling creativity rather than looking at games that Panarin missed and Zibanejad was recovering from covid. That simple.

I think it's super easy to point at the game where "fancy" worked and say "see if the coaches just let them play like that it'd all be well!" and ignore the games where they get shutout trying to cross ice pass every single time they have the puck and get stopped by a competent defensive team.

East-West hockey doesn't work in the NHL if that's the only thing you do. You need to have a forecheck, you need to drive to the net and put the puck on net sometimes from a not grade A scoring chance area, etc.
At the same time you also just can't play a style that's completely "dump the puck and grind the corners and crash the net" because that's usually not creative enough. Successful teams seem to blend both especially when it comes to transitioning the puck up the ice (go North-South) and then when establishing possession looking for ways to get guys open for the East-West passing game.
That said I'm not a hockey coach or something...I think we just see that most successful NHL teams play a very skilled game but also a game that doesn't heavily rely on only doing East-West style play.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
this game was much more about philly looking like garbage. they just weren’t defending. we were so open so often. and you have the feeling this team will rest on their laurels of this game and lay a couple of goose eggs against washington.

I want this team to be better. I want this team to actually be competitive in a couple years. I hope this is a huge comfidence booster for mika because he so desperately needs it.
And when Boston kicked our ass we looked like garbage. But of course fans gave them the credit. It's who it always is. You don't blow out a team that's playing well. We got a team playing like crap and kicked the shot out of them. That's good on us.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
giphy.gif

Can't get enough of this. It's classic. Poor Kakko. You feel for him.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Reactions: Peltz and leetch99

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Yeah, Rangers were losing 6-1 to the caps and came back to win 7-6. That was fun.
I honestly thought we scored more then 7 that night....it was a wild game for sure....I watched it on the big C-Band satellite dish I had bought back then, needed my Ranger hockey ! Those satellite dishes were HUGE and fairly expensive LOL....was some happy when the small dishes appeared for sale !

Reactions: Cmox

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I honestly thought we scored more then 7 that night....it was a wild game for sure....I watched it on the big C-Band satellite dish I had bought back then, needed my Ranger hockey ! Those satellite dishes were HUGE and fairly expensive LOL....was some happy when the small dishes appeared for sale !
You're probably correct. 8-6 win maybe? I'm being stubborn and trying to rely on memory.

edit- 8-6 win
NHL ROUNDUP : Rangers Fall Behind, 6-1, Rally Past Capitals, 8-6
New York trailed, 6-3, going into the final 20 minutes.!!

Reactions: leetch99

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
8 goals on 11 high % chances last night...

compared to 2 on 8 on 3/10 in a 4-2 loss to pitt and 3 on 8 in the 5-4 loss to philly the other day

I guess not all high danger chances are created equally, but maybe what this stat shows is that we were just really good at finishing our chances this game rather than the Flyers being extraordinarily bad.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I guess not all high danger chances are created equally, but maybe what this stat shows is that we were just really good at finishing our chances this game rather than the Flyers being extraordinarily bad.

that is one way to think of it if you didn't actually watch the game lol. the game was super fun from our standpoint but we can't pretend the flyers weren't embarrassingly bad. could you imagine the reaction if the roles were reversed.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If it even has any significance, I would put my money on them feeling less pressure to not make a mistake and get bumped all over the linup or benched for stretches
Yeah, and my theory is players wanna feel comfortable about PT and who their linemates are, and are going to be. Its a fine line, that u cannot go games and games without at least getting some quality chances..... but c'mon, u also cannot jiggle and juggle and jaggle the hell out of them........and then wonder WHY we always get nailed for 2 many men. Lmao its so idiotic this shuffling the deck. Just let them PLAY for crying out loud.

Reactions: Kords

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
that is one way to think of it if you didn't actually watch the game lol. the game was super fun from our standpoint but we can't pretend the flyers weren't embarrassingly bad. could you imagine the reaction if the roles were reversed.

Honestly, I read the Flyers' board yesterday and I read this board after we lost 5-4 in OT to the Flyers in a game we largely outplayed them and lost because of our third string goalie. There wasn't that much difference.

Reactions: romba

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
There's been some talk of a pivotal game, that could define the Rangers season. Some here said this 9-0 rout could be it. I said the 4-0 shutout in Boston a couple of games back. But on second thought, I think neither are the pivotal moment in our season. Both those teams were in slumps and not playing particularly well. Whereas tomorrow night, we play the Caps who won 6 in a row, 9 out of their last 10. And are now in first place in the East. This upcoming game is more likely to be the benchmark of how well this season can be.

And Zibad just loves playing against the Caps! I'll never forget his game winner in OT against them last year. Along with his 4 other goals that night. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus and Cmox

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I don't know exactly what Vally's criteria is, but 11 is a pretty high number regardless.

That conversion rate is insane. It was a combo of actually finishing off these plays and the Flyers just giving up. That was as pathetic a performance as I've seen from any team this year. I loved every second of it really wish he hit double digits, but you don't blow out a team like that unless they're extraordinarily bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad