Not open for further replies.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Me this morning

giphy.gif

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
One of the things I was thinking about last night was they significantly toned down the dump and chase

I have no idea if that was just Quinn’s system being properly executed, or the players just said screw it and went out there and played how they felt like it
Or that Philly was giving up constant odd-man rushes and easy zone entries. If Quinn is out the next game and the Rangers look really good against the Caps, then you really know something is going on. I am ambivalent towards Quinn. I want to see the kids do better. Wins are great, but the Rangers have a Panarin/Strome problem. If the only type of player that can be on their line is a speedy 4th line grinder type, then Kakko-Kravtsov-Guathier will never get into the top six unless something happens to Buch.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
to be fair he would have signed with us the following season anyway. we could have gotten him for nothing had we just waited a season. and it’s not like we were competing that season anyway.

He had little to nothing left to learn in the NCAA, so he'd be a year behind in his development.

You are probably right that he would have signed here anyways, but I'd gladly give up the 2nds again to avoid that small chance that he didn't. 2nd rounders are hit or miss, Fox is going to probably be considered this franchise's best blueliner since Leetch when all is said and done.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
this game was much more about philly looking like garbage. they just weren’t defending. we were so open so often. and you have the feeling this team will rest on their laurels of this game and lay a couple of goose eggs against washington.

I want this team to be better. I want this team to actually be competitive in a couple years. I hope this is a huge comfidence booster for mika because he so desperately needs it.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Rangers are a much more dangerous team when Mika is playing well. Basically last year we had two first lines. This year that double first line threat has been missing until last night. If Mika has his game back we should have a really good second half. Keeping in mind as well that will take a lot of pressure and give more space to Chytil and whoever’s on his line. Things fall into place with Mika playing well on one line and Panarin driving play on the other.

You’re contradicting the premise that vets have been fine all season.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I wasn't the least bit concerned about Zibanejad, other than him missing 7 months in the prime of his career. I've got a buddy of mine who took about 9 months to be able to lift at the same capacity and intensity as he could before COVID. That doesn't get enough attention but if you're a f***ing couch tater to begin with, you probably won't notice your strength, endurance and focus are all decreased post infection. But if you're even a recreational athlete, you know it kills performance for some unfortunate people, and when the margin in execution is so razor thin like in the pros, you just have to wait it out. To me that makes more sense than to believe a 27 year old with great speed and great hands and timing would lose all of that in one year without any injury/concussion issues.

No, it was either Mika playing lazy or Quinn stifling him. Can’t be post-Covid effect :sarcasm:

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I was impressed with how the Rangers were generating offense early in the game by winning board battles and loose pucks, their forechecking was probably the most effective I've seen this season.

But part of their success could be due to Philly playing so poorly. That was an epic AV-coached implosion by the Flyers, it may be even worse than our infamous loss against the Sharks in 2013 when Hertl scored 4 goals. It feels good to be on the winning side of an AV blowout for once.

Reactions: Waivers

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
You’re contradicting the premise that vets have been fine all season.

They have besides Mika. Kreider, Buch, Panarin, and Strome have all been productive. If Mika was just average instead of horrible this season, they would likely be in a playoff spot right now. He is just too important of a player for this team to play well when he was playing like ass.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
One of the things I was thinking about last night was they significantly toned down the dump and chase

I have no idea if that was just Quinn’s system being properly executed, or the players just said screw it and went out there and played how they felt like it

I mean, to some extent, its definitely the bolded part.

This is not black and white, but this year -- especially in light of the PO fiasco last season -- we have without any single doubt played a lot more North-South than East-West by design.

Chris Kreider said these things on 31 January: Rangers Roundup: Goalies need to step up, Chris Kreider openly frustrated with teammates, and more - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics

If we look at how we played after those comments -- we really bought into DQs model and moved the puck N-S. From my point of view, we overdid those changes something extreme, and it really cost us a lot of offense. Again -- these things are not black and white -- but when you play like that you will basically only walk away with wins against teams that shoots themselves in the foot. It is as simple as that. At least when you don't got a team that is "not" built like the Islanders.

After the first games after those comments and the way the team bought into DQs gameplan, I commented on this very topic. Its one thing to discuss which style is the best to play, but if you play like that you cannot expect to get much scoring from your stars and kids.

upload_2021-3-18_13-32-46.png

upload_2021-3-18_13-31-57.png

upload_2021-3-18_13-35-44.png

And it was at that point I started to spam posts that management must be held accountable, because it was super obvious (a) what would happen (the top guys wouldn't score, the kids wouldn't score) and (b) that management would blame it on the players for not scoring. That was also exactly what happened.

I mean, this is another things were management run from accountability. Imagine if you are a player. You play a way that is necessary. Meanwhile you got a coach that after every game critizise you for it, despite that you almost are on pace to score 60 goals for Ziba the previous year or 130 pts for Panarin, the coach goes "if you would ONLY DO this and that". Then you do exactly that, scoring is affected significantly, and management jumps on you and blame you for not scoring. Sure -- it buys management time, but how will it affect the players' opinion of management? Its not a worry for management -- because they are never held accountable for anything. They can completely torpedo the top players offensive game -- and then blame the offensive players for not scoring. One of many many examples right now. This is why I blew a fuse earlier, appologize for that. But it doesn't change the underlying issue for me, if anything is unacceptable its this and and DQ is responsible for it and Gorton, JD, Drury and co are overseeing him.

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-18_13-32-33.png
    upload_2021-3-18_13-32-33.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 3

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I mean, to some extent, its definitely the bolded part.

This is not black and white, but this year -- especially in light of the PO fiasco last season -- we have without any single doubt played a lot more North-South than East-West by design.

Chris Kreider said these things on 31 January: Rangers Roundup: Goalies need to step up, Chris Kreider openly frustrated with teammates, and more - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics

If we look at how we played after those comments -- we really bought into DQs model and moved the puck N-S. From my point of view, we overdid those changes something extreme, and it really cost us a lot of offense. Again -- these things are not black and white -- but when you play like that you will basically only walk away with wins against teams that shoots themselves in the foot. It is as simple as that. At least when you don't got a team that is "not" built like the Islanders.

After the first games after those comments and the way the team bought into DQs gameplan, I commented on this very topic. Its one thing to discuss which style is the best to play, but if you play like that you cannot expect to get much scoring from your stars and kids.

View attachment 409311

View attachment 409309

View attachment 409312

And it was at that point I started to spam posts that management must be held accountable, because it was super obvious (a) what would happen (the top guys wouldn't score, the kids wouldn't score) and (b) that management would blame it on the players for not scoring. That was also exactly what happened.

I mean, this is another things were management run from accountability. Imagine if you are a player. You play a way that is necessary. Meanwhile you got a coach that after every game critizise you for it, despite that you almost are on pace to score 60 goals for Ziba the previous year or 130 pts for Panarin, the coach goes "if you would ONLY DO this and that". Then you do exactly that, scoring is affected significantly, and management jumps on you and blame you for not scoring. Sure -- it buys management time, but how will it affect the players' opinion of management? Its not a worry for management -- because they are never held accountable for anything. They can completely torpedo the top players offensive game -- and then blame the offensive players for not scoring. One of many many examples right now. This is why I blew a fuse earlier, appologize for that. But it doesn't change the underlying issue for me, if anything is unacceptable its this and and DQ is responsible for it and Gorton, JD, Drury and co are overseeing him.

Kreider, Strome, Panarin, and Buch have all been productive this season. Mika is the only one of the vets who has struggled.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
They have besides Mika. Kreider, Buch, Panarin, and Strome have all been productive. If Mika was just average instead of horrible this season, they would likely be in a playoff spot right now. He is just too important of a player for this team to play well when he was playing like ass.

Sorry, my comment was sarcastic and last night was just an illustration of how important real Zibanejad is to the whole group along with Panarin, who while being good, was lost to the Rangers for over 40% of the season to date which is HUGE. Combine just these two factors together and is it really surprising (or need to find blame elsewhere) that the team is where it is at the moment (and maybe goaltending is a close third).

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Philly was bad. It was the rare game where we encountered zero resistance on zone entries. We continually caught their players deep with the chips off the boards that sprung the transition. You could say we out-AVed AV.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
LMAO WHAT A GAME

1. Zibanejad
2. Buchnevich
3. Lemieux

First game ever that gets both coaches fired?
I did say a few days ago he/Quinn should give the bench to Martin and for Quinn to sit in the Ranger private box watch the club and we would see what would happen...something I never expected to happen in all honesty . Then it happens and look what happens...I wonder what the convo was between Gorton and JD last night . I wonder if they have made a call to Gallant yet ?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
to be fair he would have signed with us the following season anyway. we could have gotten him for nothing had we just waited a season. and it’s not like we were competing that season anyway.
True but just making the deal to make sure we got him was important. He probably would've signed here but nothing is done until it's done.

Either way, getting a player of his caliber for two 2nd round picks is crazy. Most NCAA players who don't sign turn out to be good but not great players, I feel like it's extremely rare for an actually elite player to shake loose in this way.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad