GDT: Game 28: Avs @ Guins - Sid vs the Kid Round 2 - 12/4/18 5PM

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Win the game in Colorado 6-3. Lose the game in Pittsburgh 6-3. Hat trick happened in both games. Home team scores 3, away team scores 3, home team scores 3 in both games. Weird patterns all around for this season series.

File this away for proof of the existence of hockey gods.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Rantanen looked pretty bad tonight. I recall someone saying he had a bandage on his hand or something, last game...Hope nothing serious ffs
Because for some reason he keeps trying to deke 1v3 instead of looking for the pass. Frustrating

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I dont know if I can fault him on any of the 6 goals as much as I like to lol. Alot of bad bounces for him in this one. Pucks going off skates and in, pucks dipping etc.

I think the second Hornqvist goal is on him for sure. If that was Grubauer we wouldn't be excusing him for a poor "skip and bounce" like McNab was attempting to do. Allowing that one immediately following the 4-3 goal was a back breaker. He made a bunch of big saves at the end of the second period to keep it tied too so it's certainly not all on him.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ok som thoughts on this rollercoaster game

1. Ian Cole was a Penguin tonight. A terrible outing by him for the team hes currently employed by. You can start from the first goal onwards as it seemed like he was on the ice for atleast 4 of the goals against. Two of the goals were direct turnovers to his former drinking buddies. Need alot better from Cole as he was Warsofsky bad tonight.

2. 6 goals against and normally I would blame a few of them on the goalie. Cant really do that tonight. I guess the first Horny goal was saveable as I thought Varly was slow to react but other then that I cant fault him for those. goals. That second horny goal the puck tips off Coles stick dips to the ice rises back up and finds a hole and goes in. It was one of those nights.

3. Great comeback after a terrible first ten minutes of the game.

4. The top line did not look sharp tonight and this has been the case the last few games imo. They still manage to get points but if they had any finesse around the net tonight this would have been a win for us. Landeskog really struggled with passes and overall puck play tonight. Rantanen also whiffed on some glorious chances tonight chances he would bury blindfolded with a midget on his back. Perhaps the shadow of William Nylander is too large for Mikko to escape from now that the prince of Gothemburg is back. Thought Mackinnon was ok but that guy is passing up on way too many shots more liking these days.

5. Our PP is something to behold right now and its not just one unit. Both units are crazy good. Its really weird saying that after all the years I bitched about a static PP formulated by that numbnuts Tim Army.

6. Patrik Nemeths penalty changed the complexion of this game. I was wondering who would bust this game open. Would it be Sid. Would it be Geno. Would it be Nathan. Nope it was your local milk man Patrik f***in Nemeth. He just sucks but tonight he wasnt the worse Av he just took a penalty that changed the game...soft penalty but still they called it.

7. I love that JTC dont care. I wish we had more guys that played with a f*** you mentality. You can always count on JTC to do something in a game. Score, assist, muck it up. I love that kinda hockey player.

8. Did not like Kerfoot tonight. In fact I havent liked him the last 3 games or so. Maybe thats why he got demoted and Compher got promoted? Since im on the subject I really dont understand the need to die on the Colin Wilson hill. Why is it that when you need a change in momentum you play the kids but thats the only time you do? That and on the PP? Whats not to trust? its not like Colin Wilson is a selke finalist who wins more then he loses in terms of board battles. Compher is a responsible forward and so is Jost. Its time for Jared to stop trying to make Colin Wilson the answer to our second line when we have other guys more than capable. Playing Wilson in the bottom 6 is a benefit to the bottom 6.

9. Erik Johnson had a rough outing. He makes some of the most bizarre plays with the puck. I think he has 4 plays in his head when he has the puck and tries to execute on all of them at the same time and then it just turns into a turnover. Maybe he is playing scared because the hobbit on his left takes chances im not sure but he just needs to make smarter plays. The amount of terrible passes and unsuccessful clears tonight was again through the roof.

10. Perhaps this loss will wake them up a bit. They played a stretch of games there in the Pacific where the outcome was never in doubt. A swift kick in the nuts from a stanley cup team might be what gets them back to playing the amazing hockey they were playing before the STL game. I actually dont think we played all that bad from the 10 minute mark of the first onwards. Alot of bad luck and no finish did us in tonight.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think the second Hornqvist goal is on him for sure. If that was Grubauer we wouldn't be excusing him for a poor "skip and bounce" like McNab was attempting to do. Allowing that one immediately following the 4-3 goal was a back breaker. He made a bunch of big saves at the end of the second period to keep it tied too so it's certainly not all on him.
I had more of a problem with the first horny goal in all honesty...maybe because I let in a similiar goal the other night at my game lol. Arms should have been tucked in for sure there. I blame Ian Cole for passing it right to Pen player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I had more of a problem with the first horny goal in all honesty...maybe because I let in a similiar goal the other night at my game lol. Arms should have been tucked in for sure there. I blame Ian Cole for passing it right to Pen player.

That tribute and ovation made Cole feel like he was still a Pen for one night only. He was bad.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We probably needed a loss to wake them the f*** up honestly. Just wish it would of been Tampa lol.

This team is still maturing in their ability to remain mentally composed for 60 minutes. It's weird, they're being played physically. Ok, so now we're going to run around and look for hits getting out of position and making mistakes. They sort of learned those lessons with St. Loosers, and kept their composure against Detroit.

They showed some very good maturity scoring three goals in the second coming back, but then they were out playing Pit so much that they let the game get wide open right after. They up the tempo even more after their third goal, and I get it they're trying to get the lead, but start to play careless and you see opposing players getting behind our D again and hail mary passes inside our zone to the middle of the ice.

It has to be a constant whack a mole for Bednar keeping this team playing a structured game. They all love to open things up, especially MacK. Then there is a good number of guys who thrive in physical games as well. Guys like Compher, Landy, Calvert, Z, Cole.

I like that they've seemingly learned lessons from their losses when it comes to game management. Hopefully that continues.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Can't be too upset about this loss, Pens are still a top team even though their record is kinda poor so far, but losing the way they did in Colorado, they weren't gonna let it happen again. Avs were all over them though, that penalty killed all the momentum they had.

On to the next one. Few more road games then the Avs have a nice stretch of home games coming up. Should be a good opportunity to move up in the standings

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh also... Anyone else notice their pace completely change again now that Barrie is back? I already mentioned it before tonight, but they really felt like a different team without him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
For better? This was the first game I missed this year.

Oh yeah for the better. Without him they felt slower overall in transition, and this may just be a feeling but felt less dangerous 5v5 getting less chances off the rush. All things that an OFD helps with, but it just kind of permeated through the lineup based on how things needed to change and who was playing where.

It is going to be insane when we have one of Girard, Barrie, and Makar on the ice for 60 minutes.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I couldn't watch this one but it looks like they deserved much better than the game result.

e5WGHU0.png

High danger CF% was dead even; the Penguins scored on 3 of their high danger chances, the Avs scored on 1. So one team got goaltending and one didn't, it seems.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I couldn't watch this one but it looks like they deserved much better than the game result.

e5WGHU0.png

High danger CF% was dead even; the Penguins scored on 3 of their high danger chances, the Avs scored on 1. So one team got goaltending and one didn't, it seems.

We should have won. We didn't score on a ton of chances, and they got some pretty weak goals. I'm surprised we lost even being down 3-0 10 mins in

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The puck bounces our way instead of theirs, and the score could be flipped. For the first time in a while, I don't feel that bad about how we played in the loss. We deserved that game IMO, the wind only left their sails once it was 6-3.

Reactions: RareDangles

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Hopefully hes not back next year. We should hopefully have Makar/Timmins in his place then.

You don't pay 2.5 Mill for a 3rd pair D-Man.... Sakic simply needed one year of Nemeth to prepare the income of Makar. So NO Way Nemeth will be back.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Where Compher seems to differ from the short lived energy line guys who get hot and fade back to fourth liners or AHL tweeners is that Compher really plays a smart game with his stick.

He doesn't just skate 100% and have a rock for a brain. He's always got his stick in position to support the offense or defense so he doesn't constantly flub passes or miss clearing attempts.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Rantanen looked pretty bad tonight. I recall someone saying he had a bandage on his hand or something, last game...Hope nothing serious ffs

He has had that black thingy on his wrist/wrists for a whole season so far. Could be some kind of wrist protector.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Kamenev needs to get quicker for next season if he wants to stick in the NHL imo. And take less dumb penalties, but that one's not so difficult to change up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad