GDT: Game 28: Avs @ Guins - Sid vs the Kid Round 2 - 12/4/18 5PM

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Kamenev needs to get quicker for next season if he wants to stick in the NHL imo. And take less dumb penalties, but that one's not so difficult to change up.
He was looking great, and then he was scratched and moved around and scratched again. Hasn't been managed well IMO. He's probably so worried about making mistakes that his play has suffered. He was looking pretty creative for a while. I think he'll come around.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Relax dude lol. Varly had an absolute stinker of a game. Anytime a goalie let's in 6, it's not a good one. Varly's been playing great as of late but this game he was bad. 3rd period is on him and the D. Top line not showing up certainly didn't help either.

I am not saying Varly had a good game. But he wasn't the reason we lost. From this 6 goals he needed to have one which was an unfortunate bounce. Ofourse there are games where saves 4 of these 6 goals. But I agree, our top line had great cycling but nearly no dangerous shots.

Good thing about this game: we battled back and we're atleast 5 points (if Arizona wins both their games in hand) within the play-offs so we can afford such a loss. It was a hell of a game aswell.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
At some point the Avs need to win even one game when the top line is not scoring multiple goals.

At some point the Avs/Sakic need to address our lack of support/2nd scoring. :ha: Other teams will or have allready found ways to stop our "Rocky-Mountain-Line".... Pray that none of this three gets injured for a longer period, btw.

We simply can´t rely on this three to play out of their minds for the rest of this season. That wont happen anyway...

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm not going to get to worked up about last night's loss, but I'm blaming the refs which I hate doing.

Fact is when was 3-3, Rantanen gets a mini break out of the penalty box, the refs allow him to be bear hugged from center ice to the point he can't even put a 2nd hand on his own stick to get a reasonable shot. Then in the 3rd Crosby dives on the a little touch to his stick and they get a PP which in turn changed the momentum.

I just hate seeing games where refs dictate momentum. Just call games how they should be called.

Who knows if we win or not if we get our PP on the clear as day hold on Rantanen, but it sure makes it a different game.

Reactions: shadow1

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I'm not going to get to worked up about last night's loss, but I'm blaming the refs which I hate doing.

Fact is when was 3-3, Rantanen gets a mini break out of the penalty box, the refs allow him to be bear hugged from center ice to the point he can't even put a 2nd hand on his own stick to get a reasonable shot. Then in the 3rd Crosby dives on the a little touch to his stick and they get a PP which in turn changed the momentum.

I just hate seeing games where refs dictate momentum. Just call games how they should be called.

Who knows if we win or not if we get our PP on the clear as day hold on Rantanen, but it sure makes it a different game.

The refs have been really, really bad all year long. Not just the Avs, but league wide. Zero consistency anywhere.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
I dont know if I can fault him on any of the 6 goals as much as I like to lol. Alot of bad bounces for him in this one. Pucks going off skates and in, pucks dipping etc.

OMG Grubs would be blamed for all 6, Varly played poorly plain and simple. It happens. I was a bit surprised that they started him tonight. I guess they figured hot hand coming off Detroit.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Probably an unpopular opinion but I'd give both Florida games to Grubauer, unless he really shits the bed in the first one. They need to see what they have in him as a potential starter and there's no better time than coming off a game where Varlamov struggled. Let Varlamov get back at it at home.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
OMG Grubs would be blamed for all 6, Varly played poorly plain and simple. It happens. I was a bit surprised that they started him tonight. I guess they figured hot hand coming off Detroit.
I don't think he played poorly and trust me I don't have issues picking apart our goaltending. I didn't like the first Hornqvist goal but I cant really fault him for the others. Grubauer would have been blamed for the goals against and unjustly so.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Oh well can't win them all. I'm ok with this loss. They could have won this game with better finish. Sometimes that's the way it goes. The other team gets the bounces. They played well overall. Three things I didn't like:

1. Cole had a bad game. Everybody does. Forget it and come back better.
2. The first 10 mins of the game. They were pretty flat.
3. Rantanen is still trying to do too much by himself. He holds on to the puck way too long and tries to go through 2-3 players way too often as well. He needs to simplify his game back to what it was before. The other team has figured him out.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Oh well can't win them all. I'm ok with this loss. They could have won this game with better finish. Sometimes that's the way it goes. The other team gets the bounces. They played well overall. Three things I didn't like:

1. Cole had a bad game. Everybody does. Forget it and come back better.
2. The first 10 mins of the game. They were pretty flat.
3. Rantanen is still trying to do too much by himself. He holds on to the puck way too long and tries to go through 2-3 players way too often as well. He needs to simplify his game back to what it was before. The other team has figured him out.
Mikko is trying to do to many power moves instead of just moving his feet. I love that hes added the power game to his arsenal but he doesn't need to do it all the time. Foppa knew when to use power and when to use his elite skill. Mikko will figure it out.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I’m failing to see how that second Hornqvist goal from far out was anything other than horrendous. That one basically killed the game and any chance of a comeback.

The Cole/Barrie pair was out for four against. That’s rough. Cole was brutal and Barrie sitting there watching and doing nothing on the second goal was bizarre. Was nice to have his offense back though.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I’m failing to see how that second Hornqvist goal from far out was anything other than horrendous. That one basically killed the game and any chance of a comeback.

The Cole/Barrie pair was out for four against. That’s rough. Cole was brutal and Barrie sitting there watching and doing nothing on the second goal was bizarre. Was nice to have his offense back though.

It was a humbling game for Cole. Leading up to the game, he had been getting a lot of praise from the local media. Then he humiliated himself with several horrible decisions where he thinks he’s better than he is.

The ironic thing is that in a recent interview, he talked about how Stanley cup games help you keep a level head in the regular season. He didn’t exactly have a level head last night.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It was a humbling game for Cole. Leading up to the game, he had been getting a lot of praise from the local media. Then he humiliated himself with several horrible decisions where he thinks he’s better than he is.

The ironic thing is that in a recent interview, he talked about how Stanley cup games help you keep a level head in the regular season. He didn’t exactly have a level head last night.
You aren't being serious are you?

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
It was one game...

This is the thread for that game. You can say this to every single complaint in here. Furthermore, why even visit this thread if you’re going to take issue with comments in a thread for this one game?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This is the thread for that game. You can say this to every single complaint in here. Furthermore, why even visit this thread if you’re going to take issue with comments in a thread for this one game?

It's quite a hyperbolic take to have when 99% of his games this year are good, and then finally has a bad one...

But whatever.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Wasn’t that redirected/tipped off the defenseman’s stick?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Meh, can't be mad. Even with a terrible start that had them give up three quick goals, they still managed to roar back and tie it all up, culminating with a Matt Nieto shorthanded goal. It should also be mentioned they were taking on the Pens with Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel, AND the officiating crew that hates their guts and still made a game of it.

I had a bad feeling going into the third, they had some pretty awful defensive breakdowns, like once they were crowded around--I think--Kessel, and he merely passed it up to the guy behind him for a clean break. Varly was bailing them out big-time to close that period out at least 2-3 times. The defense as a whole was pretty awful throughout the game, and as much as Cole deserves a lot of flack for two inexcusably bad turnovers that directly turned into goals, I thought EJ was on another level of horribleness, at least defensively. I am now officially concerned that this is not just a fluke and that he'll play out of it. He hasn't been right at all, apart from a couple sparks of brilliance here and there, all season long. Go figure he gets by far the best defensive partner he's ever had in his time in Colorado and his game begins to slide.

I'm not pinning this on Varly either. The 2nd Hornqvist goal was bad, really bad, I don't care if it took a weird bounce or not, he knows he needs to have that one. But before that he was going out of his way to keep the Avs in it after SEVERAL defensive breakdowns. Barrie was understandably rusty, Nemeth was his usual level of bad.

The refs didn't directly lose the Avs the game, but they're now 1-6 when that crew is on the ice. The Nemeth slash was ticky-tack to say the least, and I guess they figured Rantanen decided he wanted to try and score one-handed on the breakaway, it's not like anyone was blatantly and obviously holding him there :shakehead.

It was one hell of a run, but like the 10-game win streak some bad habits were starting to creep in, and they might need a bit of a reset.

I will say this was probably Nieto's best game of the season. He helped set up Soda's goal and scored the SHG himself, out of sheer hustle and grit. We haven't seen much of that guy this season but it's nice to see him make an appearance when it mattered most. Not sure what's going on with Kerfoot but dude is slumping bad right now. Don't like him at 4C at all, especially since it bumps Kamenev to wing where he isn't nearly as comfortable.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
It's quite a hyperbolic take to have when 99% of his games this year are good, and then finally has a bad one...

But whatever.
What’s your point? The sample size of this game thread is this one game. I’m not talking about other games. The thread isn’t about other games.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Mikko is trying to do to many power moves instead of just moving his feet. I love that hes added the power game to his arsenal but he doesn't need to do it all the time. Foppa knew when to use power and when to use his elite skill. Mikko will figure it out.
Oh I'm not worry. I'm sure Mikko will figure it out just like Mack did. It has only been 3-4 games since he started this trend. The issue is that these problems usually are overshadowed when the team is winning and especially when the player is still producing. The sooner he figures it out the better for the team obviously.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I realize this is a hockey forum board to discuss hockey and this is the GDT, but it's just crazy to me how much each and every game gets dissected afterwards - particularly after a loss.

Who cares if Cole didn't play his best, who cares if Varly laid a stinker, who cares if Mikko used some power moves too much...this is our first regulation loss in almost a month. Talk to me after these things continually happen.

I will say, though, the officiating has been putrid for quite some time and we have got to be the most challenged team with the most overturned goals this year.

Reactions: Murzu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad