GDT: Game #27 -- Wed Mar 13, 2013 - Red Wings @ Flames - 9:30 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Are you really that thick?

Here: Cleary, Abdelkader, Quincey, Lashoff, Emmerton, Andersson, Miller, Eaves, Gustavsson, Kindl, Smith.

Better? These guys either are not talented and/or can't simply be willed to reach their potential in a hurry. No leadership is going to make them find their man, keep their position, complete the pass, score the goal, etc.

Jesus ****.

Yes, I understand that those are your favorite whipping boys. I don't see Franzen, Filppula, or Kronwall on your list.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
for all of the complaining about this player or that player, the whole team looked disorganized for the second and third periods. Just a mess. At some point, everyone blew their assignment, everyone missed their pass, everyone screwed up. It was brutal, disorganized, sloppy hockey. To me, that's on the coaches.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
for all of the complaining about this player or that player, the whole team looked disorganized for the second and third periods. Just a mess. At some point, everyone blew their assignment, everyone missed their pass, everyone screwed up. It was brutal, disorganized, sloppy hockey. To me, that's on the coaches.

I agree with this in the hurry to protect certain guys is missing the whole picture. Nobody played well tonight, really okay in the first period, but they got hammered for 40 minutes, each guy did. Be it the favorites like Datsyuk or Zetterberg everyone hasn't been playing to their abilities, don't need excuses, they need answers.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The difference in philosophy between the coach and management has hit critical mass.

Babcock may have his style of play and it might be effective with the right personnel but its painfully boring to watch and it doesn't fit with our best players at all.

His off the glass and out philosophy has to go because otherwise this team will need a complete and total rebuild. It may come to that eventually but right now I'd like to see what a coach willing to go back to a puck possession style can do with this team. Especially if he's willing to let some of the younger players get some real ice-time.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Has anybody noticed that when a shot gets past Monster, it seems to be a universal law that the next 2 shots that reach him also must go in?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Game thoughts

1. The bottom half of the D pairings was awful: Q, Kindl and Lashoff were a combined -6. Make whatever excuses you like.

2. Gustavsson didn't have a great game, you have to wonder if Howie would have fared better if he wasn't sick. Probably not.

3. Not a great start to Z's time as captain. Lots of people wondered how we'd do with the loss of Yzerman as captain along with the loss of guys like Shanahan and Schneider. Nick Lidstrom didn't miss a beat and we had a great shot at winning the Cup three years in a row from 2007-2009.

4. There isn't much to indicate Cleary, Miller or Eaves add much to the lineup. Once we are firmly out of the playoff picture you have to wonder if Holland will give guys like Nyquist, Tatar and Sheahan a shot in Detroit to see what they can do in the NHL.

5. I've been saying pretty much all season Mule needs to get bought out. There is nothing to make me change my mind thus far.

RedWingsNow*

Watch Datsyuk play.... Mule and Abdelkader are working the boards behind the net or in the corner and Datsyuk is back near the blueline like a third defenseman.

What the hell is that? Is that coaching? Is that distrust/frustration?

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Just take your ****ing pick. Not a damn player on this team is playing up to snuff. Why the hell are you trying anything possible to defend any and all players, front office, coaches or decisions made by this team? Are you trying to win some fan of the year award? Congrats you are the bestest Red Wings fan on the mother ****ing inter webs.

Meanwhile in reality, this team ****ing sucks. It no has identity, no heart, no structure, not enough talent, no discernable plan. There's no rhyme or ****ing reason with the coaching or front office.

If you that's doom and gloom, deal with it. This is a ****ing mess it's been coming for three years and it's going to get better over night.

Something has to change. Be it Holland, Babcock or a huge shake up to the lockeroom something gas to give. The status quo is not ****ing cutting it, period.

/breath

Yes, please breathe. I'm not trying to be an ******* and go counter to everyone's opinion because I get my jollies out of it. I just think it's ****** that Cleary and Abdelkader are getting bagged on AGAIN when they didn't do anything. Flipper coughs the puck up and people are screaming to bench Cleary. Franzen turns the puck over and now let's talk about how awful Gator is.

The problem this team has is that with this personnel, you have to play mistake-free hockey. You need to execute. Re-order all the lines you want but if you can't make a ****ing pass, it's not going to help. Having your crush on the week play with Datsyuk means jack if your defensemen can't sort it out or play any sort of position.

It's all mental errors. It's all execution errors. When we're playing mistake-free hockey and we're still coming up short, then let's talk about which personnel we need where.

RedWingsNow*

The difference in philosophy between the coach and management has hit critical mass.

Babcock may have his style of play and it might be effective with the right personnel but its painfully boring to watch and it doesn't fit with our best players at all.

His off the glass and out philosophy has to go because otherwise this team will need a complete and total rebuild. It may come to that eventually but right now I'd like to see what a coach willing to go back to a puck possession style can do with this team. Especially if he's willing to let some of the younger players get some real ice-time.

Lashoff and Abdelkader are SQUARE PEG players on and Babcock is a SQUARE PEG coach -- which explains Babcock's utterly asinine misuse of these no-talent slugs

Holland is a ROUND HOLE GM and most of the better players we have signed are ROUND HOLE players.
But then-- and to me this is the big sort of "**** You" to Holland -- coach benches Tootoo -- a SQUARE PEG player for a ROUND HOLE forward.... but then doesn't use the ROUND HOLE forward on the ROUND HOLE LINE like the GM wants

Aug 6, 2012
Watch Datsyuk play.... Mule and Abdelkader are working the boards behind the net or in the corner and Datsyuk is back near the blueline like a third defenseman.

What the hell is that? Is that coaching? Is that distrust/frustration?

It's crazy. I remember one time he didn't enter the screen until like 30 second after we entered the zone, and he just chipped it back deep and sat back waiting to play defense.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yes, please breathe. I'm not trying to be an ******* and go counter to everyone's opinion because I get my jollies out of it. I just think it's ****** that Cleary and Abdelkader are getting bagged on AGAIN when they didn't do anything. Flipper coughs the puck up and people are screaming to bench Cleary. Franzen turns the puck over and now let's talk about how awful Gator is.

The problem this team has is that with this personnel, you have to play mistake-free hockey. You need to execute. Re-order all the lines you want but if you can't make a ****ing pass, it's not going to help. Having your crush on the week play with Datsyuk means jack if your defensemen can't sort it out or play any sort of position.

It's all mental errors. It's all execution errors. When we're playing mistake-free hockey and we're still coming up short, then let's talk about which personnel we need where.

You are going to be waiting a long time to have that conversation. This team is going to continue to make mistakes game after game because either a. They aren't good at hockey b. The coaching sucks or c. Both. Now without a change nothing is going to stop the mistakes and the inability to overcome them.
This team is just not good. It's that simple.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
The worse part about losses like these are that guys who are deprecating assets are getting prime playing time over people who can help turn it around next year.

Not sure if you were going for depreciating or defecating assets, but I think that both apply in this case.

RedWingsNow*

5. I've been saying pretty much all season Mule needs to get bought out. There is nothing to make me change my mind thus far.

I've been resistant to the idea, but knowing how the cap hit could impact Detroit...I'm starting to wonder if this might actually be a good move.

Not sure there will be anyone out there who can replace Mule (maybe Chicago buys out Hossa and we sign him to a 3-year deal or something).

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Let me get this straight, you're saying not enough people complain about Franzen and Filppula? Get wet, dude. Tons of people here question Franzen's consistency and compete level every. damn. game. And Filppula was a constant target of criticism before he was injured. They get tons of flak. You just conveniently forgot because it suits your argument right now, which is terrible by the way.

When we're playing mistake-free hockey and we're still coming up short, then let's talk about which personnel we need where.
No one plays mistake free hockey. No one. The question is, is your defense good enough to cover for certain mistakes, and can your offense score enough to make up for the ones they can't. And yes, you can absolutely affect that by your coaching decisions. And if a coach has no effect on that, then why even bother having a coach.

maybe Chicago buys out Hossa and we sign him to a 3-year deal or something).
God I'd love Hossa back. 100% complete player. Never gives up. Strong as an ox on his skates.

RedWingsNow*

Why don't you read the thread and look at comments about Franzen and Flip instead of *****ing about people who hate Cleary and Abdelkader (for good reason -- look up their stats over 40+ games and get back to me)

Edge of Sanity*

Datsyuk to TOR for 1st 2013, 1st 2014, Rielly, Colborne

Think they would do that?

RedWingsNow*

It's crazy. I remember one time he didn't enter the screen until like 30 second after we entered the zone, and he just chipped it back deep and sat back waiting to play defense.

To me this is a sign of bad coaching, or a player who really has given up on his linemates' ability to win board battles.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Why don't you read the thread and look at comments about Franzen and Flip instead of *****ing about people who hate Cleary and Abdelkader (for good reason -- look up their stats over 40+ games and get back to me)

My initial ranting was directed at someone who named those players as needing to change after this game. I can't find where they did anything wrong in this particular game. Sure, they didn't get hat-tricks but they also didn't cough the puck up and get scored on.

Let's put the blame where it belongs. And, in my opinion, Cleary and Abdelkader don't get much of the blame for this loss.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Totally right on the terrible turnovers by Franzen and Flip- yikes. Both guys looked like rookies on those plays.

The thing is, good teams are the ones who play mostly mistake-free hockey that minimizes mental and execution errors. The Wings aren't a good team (average at best), so I'm not surprised to see these errors on a frequent basis. And better personnel wouldn't hurt in the whole minimizing mistakes area.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
At least they were entertaining.

That was more the 80's hockey. First game I went to at like 4 the Wings got hammered 7-3 by the Flames. They had three fights, one bench clearer, Yzerman got two goals and they got absolutely throttled otherwise. They just played a more open brand of Hockey back then and meaner.

Unfortunately the NHL as a whole has become a little more boring, mostly because everyone can skate and people figured out how to completely clog the middle along with pad up jumbo style from the goalies to the players.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Game thoughts

1. The bottom half of the D pairings was awful: Q, Kindl and Lashoff were a combined -6. Make whatever excuses you like.

2. Gustavsson didn't have a great game, you have to wonder if Howie would have fared better if he wasn't sick. Probably not.

3. Not a great start to Z's time as captain. Lots of people wondered how we'd do with the loss of Yzerman as captain along with the loss of guys like Shanahan and Schneider. Nick Lidstrom didn't miss a beat and we had a great shot at winning the Cup three years in a row from 2007-2009.

4. There isn't much to indicate Cleary, Miller or Eaves add much to the lineup. Once we are firmly out of the playoff picture you have to wonder if Holland will give guys like Nyquist, Tatar and Sheahan a shot in Detroit to see what they can do in the NHL.

My guess is Howard wouldn't have dropped like a dope, on top of the crease no less, on the first deke and get beat cleanly on the first goal. He would at least gave himself a chance.

The second goal? A lot of people give goalie flack for those rebounds, bot a slapper to the pads when a player driving the net is a perfect set play...it just so happened Kindl beat the player there. The only hope the goalie has is to power the rebound past the crease before the player get's the stick on it. Howard has average-above average rebound control...this goal would have been 50/50

3 goal? I doubt Howard would repeat the same mistake from the playoffs in Nashville (basically what this was). This would be on Howard to make the save if the passer connects to the shooter. The passer was already on a bad angle...he wasn't scoring from there.

4th goal? We can agree that Howard's bread and butter is his glove hand. Doubt this goes in.

5th? Same for this goal.

This is probably, IMO, a game that goes into OT if Howard is in Net. At best, a 2-1 Det win. The second goal is really tough for any goalie to stop once that's set up (a guy drive the net, and a slapper to the pads forcing the rebound).

My 2-cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad