GDT: Game #27 -- Wed Mar 13, 2013 - Red Wings @ Flames - 9:30 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sorry man but the Leafs politely decline on anything involving Kadri or Rielly as they are both non starters. Datsyuk is one of my favorites but he is creeping up on the wrong side of thirty.

That is good, because Datsyuk requires both or a non-starter. You also used that wrong, he is on the wrong side of 30 period, creeping up would imply he was in his late 20's.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The captain of this team is the least of the problems. Holland and Babcock are not on the same page. Babcock play good and hard and earn your ice time is utter bull **** and the players no it. The roster is a mess and the moves make zero sense. Doesn't matter who the captain is he has no control over this.

This team plays "not to lose" instead of "to win."

I agree with Kronwalled. Maybe they're so badly beaten up by the coach, always having to be perfect or you lose IT, and so on, that they shy away from taking risks and just letting it hang out there, or having anything to do with creativity.

I don't really know who to blame for what any more, but I do know that I have a hard time paying attention to the games. I have my laptop with me and just surf while I should be watching the game. That's not a good sign.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Maybe they're so badly beaten up by the coach, always having to be perfect or you lose IT, and so on, that they shy away from taking risks and just letting it hang out there, or having anything to do with creativity.
Certain players are afraid.

Other players know they can screw up bad constantly and still get IT.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Certain players are afraid.

Other players know they can screw up bad constantly and still get IT.

That may well be the case too, but it's making for boring, inconsistent and utterly uncreative play. "System" hockey is bound to produce that at some point, especially if it's defensive and, like someone said above, playing not to lose. I'm not even convinced that they're told to 'not to lose' but that it may have become ingrained or Pavlovian response-like.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
They may be playing not to lose but they're still losing and in glorious fashion! Mental breakdowns and careless play with the puck is not a result of the coach being too hard on them in my opinion.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
This team plays "not to lose" instead of "to win."

As a marine corps veteran this is what infuriates me. I hate the whole ny ranger playstyle and how it is embraced in the west a whole hell of a lot more than the east. This is the main reason I personally have scitzo issues with babs. He is a good coach. But his pedigree of trying to make all his teams play this way infuriates me.

The whole concept of this is a kick in the balls. It shouldn't be positively reinforced. I am know almost hoping San Jose fires todd so we could possibly ship out babs and pick him up. Our special teams our atrocious and have been for 2-3 years. We continue to try to use the shots from the point setup when we no longer have the pp qb or the net front presence to do so.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
As a marine corps veteran this is what infuriates me. I hate the whole ny ranger playstyle and how it is embraced in the west a whole hell of a lot more than the east. This is the main reason I personally have scitzo issues with babs. He is a good coach. But his pedigree of trying to make all his teams play this way infuriates me.

The whole concept of this is a kick in the balls. It shouldn't be positively reinforced. I am know almost hoping San Jose fires todd so we could possibly ship out babs and pick him up. Our special teams our atrocious and have been for 2-3 years. We continue to try to use the shots from the point setup when we no longer have the pp qb or the net front presence to do so.

Welcome to HFBoards. :)

The team has looked like a one-trick pony to me for about the same 2-3 yr period. It's just that while Lidstrom was still around, they managed to look like a slightly better pony.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Thank you for the welcome mate.

Yeah I could see the 1st pp being used as such only while #5 was still playing. I'm no expert or anything but I would gladly sacrifice some insignificant small animal for a 10 game stretch with this team trying either a behind the net sedin style pp setup or low board style overload setup.

If someone where to make babs roll 3 lines puck possesion style like we should as our roster as it stands currently constructed (considering 2/3 players needed our in the line up now and the other 1/3 was just sent down) we could actually score more than 1.5 gpg like we have for the past 10 games.

Brunner is being totally misused on the pp atm. He should be a weakside back door position ala hull or stamkos and never on the point. Kronner and smith or kindl should be d paired at 1st pp and whoever of the above isn't should be on 2nd duty with I'd say Big Rig.

Zetsyuk

Farewell Nick.
Jul 19, 2008
Windsor, ON
I'm not around these parts too much anymore. I just thought I'd stop by to see how everybody else is handling what happened tonight.

*sigh*

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Not well from what I've read in the thread. Their really seems to be a disconnect between front end and coach.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I believe if Howard was in net, we would have won a point or 2. But we struggle on the road.
Kind of strange we lose to the Jackets and Flames.

Aug 6, 2012
I agree with Kronwalled. Maybe they're so badly beaten up by the coach, always having to be perfect or you lose IT, and so on, that they shy away from taking risks and just letting it hang out there, or having anything to do with creativity.

I don't really know who to blame for what any more, but I do know that I have a hard time paying attention to the games. I have my laptop with me and just surf while I should be watching the game. That's not a good sign.

I think it's obvious when you watch the young kids. Compare Smith and Nyquist's play to their play in GR and they're playing way less aggressive, almost afraid to make a mistake. Tatar has a different mindset than the other two so I'm not sure if it affects him as much.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
I think it's obvious when you watch the young kids. Compare Smith and Nyquist's play to their play in GR and they're playing way less aggressive, almost afraid to make a mistake. Tatar has a different mindset than the other two so I'm not sure if it affects him as much.

Players should have a fear of losing ice time. Security can make players complacent. *cough Franzen cough cough*

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Players should have a fear of losing ice time. Security can make players complacent. *cough Franzen cough cough*

They should always know that if they don't perform, their time will be cut - I think everyone here agrees with that. However, you don't accomplish that by giving certain players an infinite leash to **** up and not produce (see Cleary & Abby for instance) while if others screw up once in the slightest, or if they don't immediately produce in their first shift, they immediately gets cut.

You're not helping, either, if you bench the only guy who has scored, who hasn't even ****** up, and always plays with energy and creates opportunities just because he belongs to that second group and not the first.

Bottom line is that Babcock isn't telling his players that if they don't produce, their ice time will get cut. He's telling his favourites it doesn't matter how much they suck, they'll still get lots of ice time, while he's telling others it doesn't matter how much they produce, they'll have their ice time cut anyway, and if they don't channel Lidström and play a perfect game, it will just happen sooner and they might even get press-boxed. That is a recipy for failure.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
My guess is Howard wouldn't have dropped like a dope, on top of the crease no less, on the first deke and get beat cleanly on the first goal. He would at least gave himself a chance.

The second goal? A lot of people give goalie flack for those rebounds, bot a slapper to the pads when a player driving the net is a perfect set play...it just so happened Kindl beat the player there. The only hope the goalie has is to power the rebound past the crease before the player get's the stick on it. Howard has average-above average rebound control...this goal would have been 50/50

3 goal? I doubt Howard would repeat the same mistake from the playoffs in Nashville (basically what this was). This would be on Howard to make the save if the passer connects to the shooter. The passer was already on a bad angle...he wasn't scoring from there.

4th goal? We can agree that Howard's bread and butter is his glove hand. Doubt this goes in.

5th? Same for this goal.

This is probably, IMO, a game that goes into OT if Howard is in Net. At best, a 2-1 Det win. The second goal is really tough for any goalie to stop once that's set up (a guy drive the net, and a slapper to the pads forcing the rebound).

My 2-cents.

You make some good points, an OT/SO could have been possible with Howie in net. Early on we were outshooting them badly but Gustavsson was giving up too many goals of very few shots.

CloneHakanPlease*

I believe if Howard was in net, we would have won a point or 2. But we struggle on the road.
Kind of strange we lose to the Jackets and Flames.

I dont see how this is strange. We honestly arent that much better than them this season

Johnny Law

Sep 16, 2008
Philadelphia
I dont see how this is strange. We honestly arent that much better than them this season

To me at least its classic noobs hockey.

When they have their game together, the kids on the back end look pretty good and the team plays up to its potential which is a solid B -. 5-8 seed in my mind.

However they are young and inconsistent so when they come off the rails a little bit particularly if the other team is hungry on the fore check the whole team just falls apart.

Their positioning this season is far worse than any I can remember maybe as far back as the 80's.

Z&D are fine but on nights like last night they spend half there time covering for other guys. Zetta on at least 3 plays was supporting Brunner who inevitably turned it over.

If Z is thinking turnover and not attacking its not a surprise that his scoring has dropped off. Same deal with Datsyuk, dude is lost out there trying to play a game his linemates simply can't play. He was so high in the zone last night at one point I thought they had screwed something up on the bench or he had a skate problem.

I like the young kids, I think a bunch of them can eventually be good parts for the team but right now they can't be consistent and its killing some of the big guns.

CloneHakanPlease*

Stop.
Wings aren;t moving Datsyuk

I know they won't, but do you think they should?

If next year we aren't in the playoff hunt why not send him to NJ so he can light it up with his boy Kovalchuk and have one more chance of a cup. Jersey is almost as ****** and cold as Detroit and Russia so he'd be right at home.

Is two months of Pavel toiling away on a non-playoff really worth giving him one last shot at a cup and a 1st and a good prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad