GDT: GAME 27 | Senators @ Coyotes | Enter Jacques Martin | Tue Dec 19 2023 9PM | TSN5, RDS

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I doubt you're enjoying your coffee. It's probably shitty maxwell house. Stop the fibbing already.
C'mon, son, Tasters Choice 4 life
I had to get Tim's today; I prefer McDonald's coffee. I am well caffeinated though. thanks!
I also prefer McDonald's over Tim's. How do you feel about Starbucks? I used to not like it, but I quite like their dark roast now.
What do you drink? What kind of machine do you have?
I just got home last night so I am just drinking kicking horse coffee the Hoodoo Jo out of my Delonghi Truebrew. I have some beans my folks brought me from Mexico. I have been grinding and drinking them using my French press, but I was too lazy for that this morning.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Old habits die hard.

There were positives though. The 4th line actually cycled and played physical on a couple of shifts. All three were playing from the right position. I'd bet there was some Alfie influence there. I saw the D stand up at our blue line a couple of times, with back pressure from the forwards. This basically never happened of late. There were several cohesive breakouts with no passes longer than 25 feet. Also a good sign.

They collapsed in the 3rd and tried to play prevent D. They just don't have the defensive chops to do that. Yet. Still too loose on the points in our zone. I get the collapse strategy but other teams who play that way still manage to get out to the points. Our D let them get clear passes out to the point too much and our forwards seem to have no idea how to cover the points. Too much time for the point men; it allows them to make plays and for the forwards to crash our net.

Finally, I'm a big Stützle fan. I love how he can slow the game down and find open men. But he tries it way too often. He needs to play with more speed, play north south a bit more and force D to handle him. A change up only works if the opponent is expecting a fast ball.

I expect them to be a lot better after the holiday break.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

I also prefer McDonald's over Tim's. How do you feel about Starbucks? I used to not like it, but I quite like their dark roast now.

I just got home last night so I am just drinking kicking horse coffee the Hoodoo Jo out of my Delonghi Truebrew. I have some beans my folks brought me from Mexico. I have been grinding and drinking them using my French press, but I was too lazy for that this morning.
I don't know why but I assumed you were an espresso guy. Mexico's a great origin for coffee beans, very underrated production from there.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I don't know why but I assumed you were an espresso guy. Mexico's a great origin for coffee beans, very underrated production from there.
I don't mind espresso, but straight black coffee is what I love. I enjoy anything with caffeine—cappuccino, lattes, or espresso if someone else makes them lol.

My aunt lives in Playa most of the year, and my parents visit a few times a year. My aunt gave my parents some beans. I have no idea what they are or where they are from. I will have to ask her, but they are great.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The Sens need to have a shooting mentality, too many times they over pass instead of putting the puck on net. They always go for the "cute" play it doesn't work!!!

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The Sens need to have a shooting mentality, too many times they over pass instead of putting the puck on net. They always go for the "cute" play it doesn't work!!!

NHL goalies will stop pretty much every shot if they can see them. But I hear ya. I think our problem has been, and continues to be, that too often our forwards aren't arriving into the scoring areas in sync. It stems from our rancid breakouts and poor neutral zone play. If we can clean that up then we should have more people crashing the net. Then we need to let it fly.

When we have offensive zone time then I agree that we need to get more pucks and people to the net. It worked on the Crookshank goal.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

MacDonalds over Tim's Dark roast for sure. Tim's regular is barely coffee.
I like Starbucks Dark roast as well.

Reactions: DrEasy

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Old habits die hard.

There were positives though. The 4th line actually cycled and played physical on a couple of shifts. All three were playing from the right position. I'd bet there was some Alfie influence there. I saw the D stand up at our blue line a couple of times, with back pressure from the forwards. This basically never happened of late. There were several cohesive breakouts with no passes longer than 25 feet. Also a good sign.

They collapsed in the 3rd and tried to play prevent D. They just don't have the defensive chops to do that. Yet. Still too loose on the points in our zone. I get the collapse strategy but other teams who play that way still manage to get out to the points. Our D let them get clear passes out to the point too much and our forwards seem to have no idea how to cover the points. Too much time for the point men; it allows them to make plays and for the forwards to crash our net.

Finally, I'm a big Stützle fan. I love how he can slow the game down and find open men. But he tries it way too often. He needs to play with more speed, play north south a bit more and force D to handle him. A change up only works if the opponent is expecting a fast ball.

In the first period, it seems like the forwards were covering defensive positions in motion, so they were able to close on the loose puck or cover defensive assignments more quickly. In the second and third, it seemed like they were standing still a lot more, and the Coyotes were able to find lanes and move the puck more easily.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Just finished the game now. Lol wow

#18, #7, #23, #26 have been awful through this stretch. Korpi had a great game. Only took one bad goal and a dumb bounce

Reactions: LiseL

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Old habits die hard.

Good analysis. I completely agree with Stutzle, he needs to play a more north-south game and attack the net harder. He absolutely has the speed to do this. He needs to stop playing like he's Giroux, and more like McDavid.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We haven't changed the system. Jacque said he wouldn't out of the gates.
Makes sense as he has not had time to teach it nor practice it. He probably had to spend the day flying out west to the game with Alfie.

Good analysis. I completely agree with Stutzle, he needs to play a more north-south game and attack the net harder. He absolutely has the speed to do this. He needs to stop playing like he's Giroux, and more like McDavid.
I think he needs "to change it up" so the opponents will not know in advance what he will be doing. That will come with experience and good coaching.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Win goes to Milbury if only for his incredibly creativity. Who the hell comes up with (A) "I'll think I'll beat up that fan in the stands" and (B) "Best use the fans own shoe to do it!"? Top that.... anybody?

I thought you were talking about Milbury as a GM. :)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I want Stutzle to play MORE east-west.

Everyone knows he can run and gun but for him to take the next step he needs to get good at east-west.

I really would hate to see what more looks like. He's already throwing prayers across the ice after entry with a multi goal lead. Stutzle is really strong on entries and when he pulls up he creates space but the play that comes next has been a problem. Sometimes you need to just get the puck into the corner and let your line mates retrieve it. Most of the time he is throwing across the rink or trying to go through a player. Just ends up with the puck going the other way.

Reactions: LiseL and swiftwin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
They were dominated . Ugly game, and ugly effort.

Best highlights were Alfie giving it to Kastelic, like who does Kasty think he is. Fringe NHLer and useless on this team.

Second best highlight was Capuano showed something on the board for Jacques to consider and he blew him off, and Cap looked annoyed by it. Actually, that was the highlight of the night. Jacques swatted him away like a buzzing fly.

Josh Norris, love his shot, and he looks like a guy who will benefit from the coaching change. Korpy did a great job, and the team was super unlucky on the 3rd and 4th goals. The 2nd goal was after a non call boarding. Yay us.

But I am embracing the tank. Celebrate for Celebrini. This team is going to lose some players, and some players leaving will shock and angee the fanbse. But the team is poorly constructed

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I really would hate to see what more looks like. He's already throwing prayers across the ice after entry with a multi goal lead. Stutzle is really strong on entries and when he pulls up he creates space but the play that comes next has been a problem. Sometimes you need to just get the puck into the corner and let your line mates retrieve it. Most of the time he is throwing across the rink or trying to go through a player. Just ends up with the puck going the other way.

Yea he needs to make simpler decisions.

But dumping in the corner for his context I would consider east-west play as it slows the play down and gets you established for more lateral play. When he stops up and throws prayers it's because he is still trying to play fast.

I'm glad we have Alfredsson teaching him because he was the master of turning north-south play into slow east-west .

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
watch the Hughes Brother, Marner, Kucherov and others.

Young people today and especially those that are a tad height challenged are pretty much stick handlers and fancy passes and far less "Bulls in a China shop".

This team needs to add one more assistant.. Chris Neil... the ultimate "Bull in a China shop"..

It needs to consider Marc Methot or Chris Philips as consultants. Work with the Defenseman once a week on "toughness".. no nonsense D play. Neil and Philips are already associated with the team. One day a week, in skates on the ice with the team.

Daniel can teach defensive forwards, Neil can teach "Bull in a China shop", Methot or Philips can teach Defensive defenseman play.

Sadly no cure for what ails the goalies.

Reactions: Cosmix

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yea he needs to make simpler decisions.

But dumping in the corner for his context I would consider east-west play as it slows the play down and gets you established for more lateral play. When he stops up and throws prayers it's because he is still trying to play fast.

I'm glad we have Alfredsson teaching him because he was the master of turning north-south play into slow east-west .

For me, when he pulls up that is slowing down the play, players catch up and get to open ice but a lot of it does come down to decision making for him. From my perspective his poor decision making its him trying too hard to create east-west play.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would. Anyone with some balls would. What is he going to do? Not play? Give me a break.
If he asked for a trade and pouted, stopped playing to the best of his ability, then he would be foolish.

I doubt that he asks for a trade anytime soon. I think the new coaching staff will win him over with their approach to the game. He will recognize the difference the new coaching staff will make.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
For me, when he pulls up that is slowing down the play, players catch up and get to open ice but a lot of it does come down to decision making for him. From my perspective his poor decision making its him trying too hard to create east-west play.
Agree puck management , decision making, high risk plays .. He's creative and dynamic he has to make some adjustments to cut down on high risk passes higher in the offensive zone. Defensively , the team needs adjustments, he will be a part of that.

He along with Brady are important pieces to get total buy in from. They have had seemingly infinite leashes and have not improved their puck management under DJ. When Boucher arrived he needed buy in from the leaders and particularly Karlsson ; for any type of structure or system to work you need everyone rowing in the same direction without exception. JM and Alfie know that and they will do their best to turn it around

Reactions: LiseL and Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad