GDT: Game 23: Wings at hawks 8:00 pm et (FSD) 2/27/21

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
And Nielsen scored a goal.

I thought that Nielsen makes always 2 bad plays every shift. Yesterday he was much better. I was very surprised.
Filppula too. He makes also so many bad plays. But both he and Nielsen looked better. I do not know if Svechnikov made them look better.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Bernier robbed Kane 3 times.

Nemeth was real good last season. This one he struggles. The difference is huge.
Zedina was great before the injury, now he has completely disappeared.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He didn't come out at all though. And Helm waited.

Went back and watched this. Subban screwed up, but it wasn't by not coming out. LFG dishing the puck and Helm shooting it happened in a fraction of a second. Way too little time for Subban to make a forward pushoff. Where he screwed up though was his angle. Was actually kinda funny to rewatch it. He was fairly square to Helm when Helm got the puck. And then Subban decides to lurch to his right fully up against the post, giving Helm a nice angle at the far side of the net. Derp.

Square to the shooter, kids. Square to the shooter.

Reactions: bedtime20

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Bernier robbed Kane 3 times.

Nemeth was real good last season. This one he struggles. The difference is huge.
Zedina was great before the injury, now he has completely disappeared.

So glad Kane didn't get his 400th against us last night. Of course he gets another crack at it tonight. Let's go, Greiss.

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Went back and watched this. Subban screwed up, but it wasn't by not coming out. LFG dishing the puck and Helm shooting it happened in a fraction of a second. Way too little time for Subban to make a forward pushoff. Where he screwed up though was his angle. Was actually kinda funny to rewatch it. He was fairly square to Helm when Helm got the puck. And then Subban decides to lurch to his right fully up against the post, giving Helm a nice angle at the far side of the net. Derp.

I think he never got a chance to get into the game. They outplayed us and led something like 10 to 1 to start the game, then we scored on our 2nd shot. It was a softish goal.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I think he never got a chance to get into the game. They outplayed us and led something like 10 to 1 to start the game, then we scored on our 2nd shot. It was a softish goal.

Fair enough. Living in Chicago, I spy Hawks games semi-regularly, and in all my viewings of Subban my take is he's just not a very good NHL goalie. An average NHL backup with maybe the upside to be a better-than-average backup. He's got the athletic talent, but he's inconsistent and technically unsound. Low ceiling. Not getting a good start in a particular game is not a great recipe for him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Yup, Helm had time to line up the puck. Split second pause then a very good shot. I think Subban lost track of where Helm was and covered the post thinking he was more off to the side. He was looking behind the net the whole time.

Sure he should've squared up, but you can't leave anyone alone in front of the net with that much space and time. That play happened because 3 guys chased the puck, same crap that always happens to the Wings. I don't blame Subban at all, Chicago played crappy team defense and the Wings took advantage for once.

Rinne... he definitely gifted Gagner the hat trick.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Yup, Helm had time to line up the puck. Split second pause then a very good shot. I think Subban lost track of where Helm was and covered the post thinking he was more off to the side. He was looking behind the net the whole time.

Sure he should've squared up, but you can't leave anyone alone in front of the net with that much space and time. That play happened because 3 guys chased the puck, same crap that always happens to the Wings. I don't blame Subban at all, Chicago played crappy team defense and the Wings took advantage for once.

Rinne... he definitely gifted Gagner the hat trick.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier, that goal is definitely on the skaters, particularly Suter I think it was. Subban making the save would have been him bailing his team out. And I agree the team defense for Chicago was junk. Rinne was far worse than Subban.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Fair enough. Living in Chicago, I spy Hawks games semi-regularly, and in all my viewings of Subban my take is he's just not a very good NHL goalie. An average NHL backup with maybe the upside to be a better-than-average backup. He's got the athletic talent, but he's inconsistent and technically unsound. Low ceiling. Not getting a good start in a particular game is not a great recipe for him.
I remember you live in Chicago.
I do not know anything about Subban.

I just think he never got the chance to get into the rhythm. It reminds me of all our goalies Hasek, Osgood, Joseph....and how difficult it was for them to play for our great teams of the past. Those kind of games are very difficult for the goalies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's playing above his cap hit of $850k, so I don't think Hawks fans have anything to complain about. It's hard to come by a decent (even if inconsistent) backup for less than a mil.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I remember you live in Chicago.
I do not know anything about Subban.

I just think he never got the chance to get into the rhythm. It reminds me of all our goalies Hasek, Osgood, Joseph....and how difficult it was for them to play for our great teams of the past. Those kind of games are very difficult for the goalies.

Oh yeah, no doubt. Some goalies are better than others at coming up big while sparsely seeing shots, but a guy like Subban is probably not one of the better ones to begin with, making that kinda game even tougher.

Tell ya what though, I played goalie in men's league just one time. We were playing the last place team and so I saw very few shots. But ya know what? I still got the win. (please don't ask about the score nor my save %)

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
He's playing above his cap hit of $850k, so I don't think Hawks fans have anything to complain about. It's hard to come by a decent (even if inconsistent) backup for less than a mil.

Oh sure, I don't think Hawks fans should be complaining about him. In fact, I haven't heard my Chicago buddies do that at all (mostly they've just been pleased with Lankinen when it comes to the goaltending). He had 2 or 3 pretty good games in a row before this one I think. Small sample size this season though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad