Post-Game Talk: GAME 22 - B's win in OT 2-1

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
JFK played against 13:25 against Crosby, more than any other forward. Marchy and pasta played around 13:00. After that? Heinen played 2:55 against Crosby. Not hard to imagine why the first line didn't produce much being hard matched there.

Thought they did fairly well, but not exceptionally. I will take that against a guy like Crosby. It allowed the second line to flourish like it did.

In the same vein, Miller and grzelcyk palued 16 minutes against Crosby. After that, John Moore played 3 minutes against him.

2 years ago, can you imagine being told Kevan Miller and Matt grzelcyk were hard matched against Crosby, out shot him and allowed no goals against?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
JFK played against 13:25 against Crosby, more than any other forward. Marchy and pasta played around 13:00. After that? Heinen played 2:55 against Crosby. Not hard to imagine why the first line didn't produce much being hard matched there.

Thought they did fairly well, but not exceptionally. I will take that against a guy like Crosby. It allowed the second line to flourish like it did.

In the same vein, Miller and grzelcyk palued 16 minutes against Crosby. After that, John Moore played 3 minutes against him.

2 years ago, can you imagine being told Kevan Miller and Matt grzelcyk were hard matched against Crosby, out shot him and allowed no goals against?

Krejci line played against the Malkin-Kessel line all night and dominated the matchup.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
The Bruins rode their top 4 D hard tonight. TOI of 27, 26, 24, and 23 while the two rookies just cracked 10 minutes. It might be a tough turn around for them tomorrow night against Montreal.

DeBrusk has come out of his funk hard. He now has 6 goals and 2 assists in the last 9 games. If Heinen and Bjork can do the same, the Bruins could climb the standings while Bergy is out.

Krejci needs to get his ass together because this 2 goals in 22 games is not getting it done. His weak shots on net are pathetic.

Cave was mostly invisible but the few times you noticed him he was doing the right thing so he was fine as a 3rd line C.

The goal scoring streak ended at 2 games for JFK, and the refs were determined to kick him out of as many faceoffs as they could (1 out of every 5). It got to the point that he wasn't even able to get his stick down on the ice when the puck dropped so he lost 2/3rds of the ones he was allowed to take. That was the only negative thing you could say about his game. He was active in his own zone denying passes and scoring chances to about 20 Penguins in the slot so he has that part of the game down solid. That should be enough to let him stick with the top line for another game or two and try to get some offensive chemistry going.

Backes with the low minutes has me thinking he will be sitting for Bjork either tomorrow or Monday.

Grzelcyk continues to be the best defensive defenseman on the team right now. He makes so many small but amazing plays every game. It's a hell of a luxury to have a guy this good be your 5th or 6th defenseman when everyone is healthy. He's going to be making a lot of money 2 years from now.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The Bruins rode their top 4 D hard tonight. TOI of 27, 26, 24, and 23 while the two rookies just cracked 10 minutes. It might be a tough turn around for them tomorrow night against Montreal.

DeBrusk has come out of his funk hard. He now has 6 goals and 2 assists in the last 9 games. If Heinen and Bjork can do the same, the Bruins could climb the standings while Bergy is out.

Krejci needs to get his ass together because this 2 goals in 22 games is not getting it done. His weak shots on net are pathetic.

Cave was mostly invisible but the few times you noticed him he was doing the right thing so he was fine as a 3rd line C.

The goal scoring streak ended at 2 games for JFK, and the refs were determined to kick him out of as many faceoffs as they could (1 out of every 5). It got to the point that he wasn't even able to get his stick down on the ice when the puck dropped so he lost 2/3rds of the ones he was allowed to take. That was the only negative thing you could say about his game. He was active in his own zone denying passes and scoring chances to about 20 Penguins in the slot so he has that part of the game down solid. That should be enough to let him stick with the top line for another game or two and try to get some offensive chemistry going.

Backes with the low minutes has me thinking he will be sitting for Bjork either tomorrow or Monday.

Grzelcyk continues to be the best defensive defenseman on the team right now. He makes so many small but amazing plays every game. It's a hell of a luxury to have a guy this good be your 5th or 6th defenseman when everyone is healthy. He's going to be making a lot of money 2 years from now.

Aside from Halak, Krejci was probably the best player the B’s had out there tonight.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I feel like JFK has been getting better with each game. Honestly I'd leaving JFK with Marchand/Pasta until Bergy returns, well unless he just becomes a liability. This way when Bergy returns, JFK goes to #3C and will face "easier" competition. You know teams will match-up there best vs Marchand/Pastrank and if JFK can hold his own against those level of players, he'll be fine when he moves to #3C.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Aside from Halak, Krejci was probably the best player the B’s had out there tonight.
His play was fine but he seems to have completely lost his shot. In the 1st period he was 15 feet from the goal with no one within 5 feet of him and instead of spinning to get a hard forehand shot on net, he lobs an easy backhander right at the goalie. It was just weak shot after weak shot all year. I miss the 'playoff Krejci' who would get into the left slot and drop to a knee as he rifles home goal after goal. That was his go to move but he hasn't even attempted it once this year. Opposing players aren't even trying to block his shots, they are covering the passing lanes.

Reactions: Strafer

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

Just my opinion but so much wrong with this post. Krejci was one of the best Bruins on the ice tonight, exception being Halak.

Cave had a great game, strong on the dot, very good on the back check and played physical.

Backers won’t be sitting tomorrow, you will be disappointed.

Griz is far from the best defensive defence man on the team, he played well tonight but was the main cause of two odd man rushes tonight for the Pens. If you think he is better than Chara, Moore or Carlo defensively, you need to watch more. He may be making a lot of money two years from now but doubt it is in Boston, he is likely the 7th dman when all are healthy, if that happens.

Reactions: Strafer

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Backes played under 9 min...
I hope he retires before the season is over. The 4th line is a physical role. He seems reluctant to go into the scrums and I don't blame him. He can't afford to fight, he shouldn't go out like this.

I'm no expert and if he wants to keep playing, I hope he proves me wrong. If he is considering his options, then I hope he is putting family and personal interests first.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Not the most entertaining of games but a win is a win and the kids continue to impress.

If you are a casual fan this month may be tough to tune in for but for a lot of us diehards, this is a great chance to see the talent pool and figure out who is worth keeping when all hands are back on deck.

Heinen and Krejci finding chemistry as well is a positive. Imagine a 2nd and 3rd line contributing when Bergeron gets back?

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Kuraly didn’t push the goalie’s pad significantly until his second shove had already put the puck in, so you ought to agree either way. You have to be able to make contact with the goalie’s pads on a followthrough. He didn’t move his pad whatsoever with the first graze, and the puck was in the net by the time the second followthrough even made contact with the pad (goalie was a foot off the post).
Have to disagree here. I for one think they got it right. The goalie had his pad on the line with the puck. You are not allowed to push his pad into the net in that case to get the puck in which is exactly what Kurally did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad