Post-Game Talk: GAME 22 - B's win in OT 2-1

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
He’s finally starting to get the conversion he deserves. Kids going to be a star.

And yet Matt Porter of the Globe suggests Debrusk might be the price the B's would have to pay to get Toffoli. Though Debrusk has 9 goals to Toffoli's 5, is plus 2 to Toffoli's -5, and is four years younger. And cheaper. But let's keep these ridiculous trade ideas coming.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
And yet Matt Porter of the Globe suggests Debrusk might be the price the B's would have to pay to get Toffoli. Though Debrusk has 9 goals to Toffoli's 5, is plus 2 to Toffoli's -5, and is four years younger. And cheaper. But let's keep these ridiculous trade ideas coming.

I have some interest in tofoli
But no way for Jake.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Out of curiosity, has anyone kept tabs on how many times so far this season the B's have had goals waved off?

'Cause, it feels like it's becoming a regular thing with this team.

Debrusk is a keeper!

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
The Bruins are 12 and 6 ...very good imo considering the injuries. Our problem is no offensive depth and this will be make for our exit in the playoffs. Let's start by getting a quality rwinger preferably with a right shot ..
Stone is one... Nylander another..if the flyers fall out of the playoff pic ... although older then I'd like... Giroux or Simmonds or both would be interesting.
Many players we have available for trade though aren't that precious

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Kessel with a two minute shift in OT and nothing left in the tank. I don't miss that player.

I’m pretty sure him being out there for two minutes was not intentional on his part? I think he had been out there for awhile and before he could change the B’s gained possession and kept it in the PIT zone for an extended period. I believe Malkin and Dumo were out there for a long time as well.

I thought Kessel was one of the better Pens and wouldn’t mind the B’s acquiring him (probably not going to happen). He’s not the same guy he was when he was here.

Reactions: Alicat

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
man. our defense is gonna be tops on the league come january when everyones back.
goaltending. we prob have the best two number ones.

just gonna need that 2nd line rw and we have a team that could knock off a tampa.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I know it's asking a TON of the team right now....but I really need to see them beat Montreal (Well not literally, as that I'll be working)

With Cassidy in charge, I started getting excited because it seems like the B's were done losing for awhile to Montreal. I keep hoping that'll become the case

Reactions: rfournier103

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I know it's asking a TON of the team right now....but I really need to see them beat Montreal (Well not literally, as that I'll be working)

With Cassidy in charge, I started getting excited because it seems like the B's were done losing for awhile to Montreal. I keep hoping that'll become the case

I get the deal with Montreal. I have been a fan since the early 70’s, and understand the frustration for so many years. That said, people place far too much importance on games vs the Habs. It’s a division game, so you want to win, but beyond that it’s not something to get super worked up over.

A playoff series against Montreal is another matter entirely :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
man. our defense is gonna be tops on the league come january when everyones back.
goaltending. we prob have the best two number ones.

just gonna need that 2nd line rw and we have a team that could knock off a tampa.

I agree on the first two points, not sure whether 2nd line RW is more of a need, or 3rd line C? If you get a legit Top 6 RW, it would likely push Heinen down (based on last night’s lineup) and hopefully that strengthens the 3rd line. On the flip side, 43-46-74 looked very good last night against Malkin and Kessel for most of the game. If that group stayed together, and plays well, the B’s could add a 3C and strengthen the Top 9 that way.

Regarding the D, McAvoy hasn’t played since 10/18, Carlo 11/10, Chara 11/14. In the four games that they have been out, the B’s have given up goals, including two in OT. While that is a testament to how well their goalies have been playing, it also speaks to the defensive acumen of the team, even though they are missing their top 3 D.

That’s something that should make people smile.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Hard to be upset with their record given the absence of their top forward and their top 3 defensemen. Color me impressed.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I get the deal with Montreal. I have been a fan since the early 70’s, and understand the frustration for so many years. That said, people place far too much importance on games vs the Habs. It’s a division game, so you want to win, but beyond that it’s not something to get super worked up over.

A playoff series against Montreal is another matter entirely :laugh:

Believe it or not, the first Bruins-Canadiens series I ever watched was 1988, but I know the history well.

It’s not just another division game. Yes, mathematically it counts the same, but if you can’t beat ‘em in the regular season, it’s less likely you can beat ‘em in the playoffs.

When dealing with a pain in the ass like the Montreal Canadiens, you step on their throat EVERY SINGLE CHANCE YOU CAN. Send a message that you’re not going to take their shit, and we’re in charge. Not them.

That’s good policy not just for NHL hockey, but for life. Some people just need a good boot to the face.*

*Disclaimer: I’m not advocating actual physical violence against anyone. The poster shall not be liable for the actions of the Boston Bruins professional hockey club, or anyone reading this post.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I’m pretty sure him being out there for two minutes was not intentional on his part? I think he had been out there for awhile and before he could change the B’s gained possession and kept it in the PIT zone for an extended period. I believe Malkin and Dumo were out there for a long time as well.

I thought Kessel was one of the better Pens and wouldn’t mind the B’s acquiring him (probably not going to happen). He’s not the same guy he was when he was here.

Lots of players stay out too long - really tough to make a quick clean change in 3-3 OT; lose your guy for a second (like Dumoulin) and its over.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Believe it or not, the first Bruins-Canadiens series I ever watched was 1988, but I know the history well.

It’s not just another division game. Yes, mathematically it counts the same, but if you can’t beat ‘em in the regular season, it’s less likely you can beat ‘em in the playoffs.

When dealing with a pain in the ass like the Montreal Canadiens, you step on their throat EVERY SINGLE CHANCE YOU CAN. Send a message that you’re not going to take their ****, and we’re in charge. Not them.

That’s good policy not just for NHL hockey, but for life. Some people just need a good boot to the face.*

*Disclaimer: I’m not advocating actual physical violence against anyone. The poster shall not be liable for the actions of the Boston Bruins professional hockey club, or anyone reading this post.

Your point about having to beat them in the regular season to beat them in the playoffs is false.

The last time the B’s won a playoff series against MTL was in 2010-11. They were 2-4 against them in the regular season.

In 2007-08, the Bruins were 0-8 vs MTL in the regular season. In the playoffs, with an injury-riddled team, the B’s took them 7.

I don’t think there is really any correlation one way or another.

Reactions: Seidenbergy and DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Zero chance DeBrusk trades

He’s damn near perfect

Reactions: Alicat and caz16

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Your point about having to beat them in the regular season to beat them in the playoffs is false.

The last time the B’s won a playoff series against MTL was in 2010-11. They were 2-4 against them in the regular season.

In 2007-08, the Bruins were 0-8 vs MTL in the regular season. In the playoffs, with an injury-riddled team, the B’s took them 7.

Didn’t the Leafs own the Bruins in the regular season for about two years prior to last year’s playoff series ? There are too many factors that apply in a regular season game that are irrelevant in a playoff series . In the playoffs both teams have the same amount of rest , travel and obviously injuries are a factor also .

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Out of curiosity, has anyone kept tabs on how many times so far this season the B's have had goals waved off?

'Cause, it feels like it's becoming a regular thing with this team.

Debrusk is a keeper!

It feels like a weekly occurrence now.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

I said “less likely” - not “impossible.”

There’s an old adage that says “you play like you practice.” That holds true for regular season vs. playoffs. It is 1000 times better to go into a playoff having beaten your opponent in the regular season than not.

Yes, sometimes the team that comes up short in the regular season gets their own back in the playoffs, but winning is a habit. Any coach in any sport will tell you. The only way to rid oneself of a loser mentality is to win. Period. I’m not interested in moral victories, or “almost beat ‘em.” I want wins.

I’m sick and tired of excuses when it comes to the Canadiens. The Bruins need to get dirty and kick their ass.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I'm not sure what game you watched but Chara and Carlo were not playing. Of all the Bruins defenders, Grzelcyk was easily the best defensive defenseman on the ice.
I assumed you meant this season, my mistake. However still don’t agree, Moore was by far the best defensive dman last night.

Reactions: 00BW

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Watched the game this morning being able to not find out the score prior to it. Terrific game by DK and his line, nice finish from Nordy, Halak terrific, Krug`s pass to Nordy sublime, passes like that make me cringe when I read so many so quick to be willing to trade Krug.

Montreal tonight, hardly a "must win" or "statement game", just one we all want vs the hated rivals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->