GDT: Game #21 - Your Columbus Blue Jackets @ Toronna Maple Leafs 11-19-2018

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I would rather have Bjorkstrand and Milano on the fourth line, at least we can get some offensive zone time against them.

Refs were fine, they let the boys play. At the end of the day it was a winnable game and our fourth line cost us the game.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think you have a better shot at beating Toronto , rolling 4 lines , with Bjork, Dalpe/ Hani , then a 4th line of Nash / Sedlak and Hani . Or pull Nash and Sedlak out, and play Milano and Bjork . Toronto is a fast team, and they are going to score goals on you , and that was without Matthews :(

Reactions: NovaLeaf

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The game turned on two points:

1. Frederik Andersen was amazing. Bob was good but Freddy was great.

2. Babcock went all-in on matchups, something you don't see coaches do too often in regular season games. Both coaches wanted this one badly and Babcock had the advantage of last change. Dubois v Tavares wasn't working for him so he started matching Lindholm v Dubois and getting Tavares v the Jackets bottom six every time. That obviously worked a lot better for him.

It sucks. You can see how pissed Torts is. I'm pissed too. They outplayed the Leafs in a lot of ways but that's not surprising in a 5v5 game, and all the more reason to be pissed they didn't get the W.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The game turned on two points:

1. Frederik Andersen was amazing. Bob was good but Freddy was great.

2. Babcock went all-in on matchups, something you don't see coaches do too often in regular season games. Both coaches wanted this one badly and Babcock had the advantage of last change. Dubois v Tavares wasn't working for him so he started matching Lindholm v Dubois and getting Tavares v the Jackets bottom six every time. That obviously worked a lot better for him.

It sucks. You can see how pissed Torts is. I'm pissed too. They outplayed the Leafs in a lot of ways but that's not surprising in a 5v5 game, and all the more reason to be pissed they didn't get the W.
Enh. I'm able to take it in stride myself, mostly because it pretty nicely demonstrated that we kind of deserve to be counted among the best in the East - even with the loss. Besides, we can turn point #2 on its head this Friday. :nod:
mwahaha.gif

Reactions: CPTN71

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Blue Jackets-Scoring Chances: 23, High Danger Chances: 5
Maple Leafs - Scoring Chances: 23, High Danger Chances: 8

Didn't test Freddy enough.

20182019-20308-all.png

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I hated losing this one as it was very winnable. That said, as a hockey fan I found this a highly enjoyable game.

Great game it was.

Not calling a single penalty, I mean, Jones got taken down on a rush with about 5 minutes to go, but they didn't want to call anything at that time.

Yep, but keeping it 5v5 is an advantage for the Jackets. Feels like such a waste.

Let's get them back at home later this week.

Amen. Let's be thankful there's a rematch (and let's see if we're still thankful on Friday night).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Enh. I'm able to take it in stride myself, mostly because it pretty nicely demonstrated that we kind of deserve to be counted among the best in the East - even with the loss. Besides, we can turn point #2 on its head this Friday. :nod:
mwahaha.gif

Yes, I suppose for the uninformed that think the Jackets are a lower tier team than the Leafs, then yes this was a demonstration. But I wanted them to demonstrate that they can get the W.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Come on guys, CBJ played a great game and dominated most of it. Leafs capitalized on their chances, and that's how it goes....

The boys showed they're still playing at an elite level.

Not calling a single penalty, I mean, Jones got taken down on a rush with about 5 minutes to go, but they didn't want to call anything at that time.

Let's get them back at home later this week.
Oh my.... my Mother talked to me as this..... Are you serious??

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Blue Jackets-Scoring Chances: 23, High Danger Chances: 5
Maple Leafs - Scoring Chances: 23, High Danger Chances: 8

Didn't test Freddy enough.

20182019-20308-all.png

I think in the second period the Jackets just got too comfortable cycling and killing time on the boards. Not enough urgency to take the puck to the net.

But those scoring chance counts can be misleading some games. Dubois and his line were only credited with 1 high danger scoring chance tonight. Cams goal, and a few other good chances, just weren't dangerous enough apparently.

A shot through a screen from the high slot is not a HDSC, while repeatedly jamming a puck into a wall of bodies in the crease can sometimes get counted as multiple HDSCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I think in the second period the Jackets just got too comfortable cycling and killing time on the boards. Not enough urgency to take the puck to the net.

But those scoring chance counts can be misleading some games. Dubois and his line were only credited with 1 high danger scoring chance tonight. Cams goal, and a few other good chances, just weren't dangerous enough apparently.
There was 1 line threat tonight. Nothing from other 2 and crap from 4rth line and 3rd pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad