GDT: Game #21 - Your Columbus Blue Jackets @ Toronna Maple Leafs 11-19-2018

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I get the previous comments about who was on the ice at the time of the 3rd goal. I get that Savard was falling down and screened Bob. But I think Torts was correct in his pre-game comments. It is a game of mistakes. And young players make mistakes. The team needs to find a way to win. A pre-Thanksgiving game by a 1st place team losing to another playoff club isn't the end of the world. Some people feel that it is, and they are entitled to their opinion. It's a game the team grows from and will get better. I still believe good things are in store for the 18-19 Columbus Blue Jackets.
Without looking at the possession metrics, I thought the Jackets outposessed the Leafs and pretty much matched them in chances. With as many shots on goal I would have hoped they got 3 or 4 rather than 2 goals, but Anderson had an amazing game and Bob was good but not great. That said, 2 goals isn't enough for a win against a team with the firepower the Leafs have.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think the breakdown is entirely on Sedlak. That was his point man left wide open, Nash had to race out last minute to get in the shot lane that Sedlak left open. Sedlak gets in Tavares' way initially when Tavares gets the puck, which is fine, but then follows him even after he sees the pass to his open point.
I thought one of the best games for the 4th line this year was the one where Nash sat. They carried play in the offensive zone and while I can’t say on paper it made for a better defensive group, it made for a better hockey group on that night.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
To be honest, Torts’ “pee-wee coverage” comment sort of rubs me the wrong way. Sure, he’s definitely right. But the 4th line really shouldn’t have been out there in that situation at that point in the game to begin with.

As for Bob, the first goal should’ve been stopped.

As for Werenski, he’s never been good defensively, so putting him with Harrington was never going to work. Also I’m not sure why, but Harrington apparently now thinks he can pinch like the rest of the defenseman. I don’t know why he thinks that. He shouldn’t. Werenski should probably be baby sat by Murray, if we really want to discuss good defensive pairs.
4th line was stuck on ice because Beerman iced the puck.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You mean on the road where the leafs are 9-0
All good things come to an end eventually. :)

* * *​
Leafs fans showing their colors I see... Amazing so many feel the need to come in here and post on an opposing team's board.
Plenty of folks read. Sometimes there's also the impulse to comment. You'll see it more often with Leafs fans because there's a metric ****ton of 'em. I figure it's OK so long as there's no flamewars.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I think the breakdown is entirely on Sedlak. That was his point man left wide open, Nash had to race out last minute to get in the shot lane that Sedlak left open. Sedlak gets in Tavares' way initially when Tavares gets the puck, which is fine, but then follows him even after he sees the pass to his open point.

upon further review.....you are absolutely correct

Bad Lukas, pee wee coverage

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
All good things come to an end eventually. :)

* * *​

Plenty of folks read. Sometimes there's also the impulse to comment. You'll see it more often with Leafs fans because there's a metric ****ton of 'em. I figure it's OK so long as there's no flamewars.

Theres a difference between reading ... and posting troll comments (though I've seen worse than last night).

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Leafs fans showing their colors I see... Amazing so many feel the need to come in here and post on an opposing team's board.
I'd invite you to come and share the inside knowledge of your team to our board, will be much more accurate than anything the GDT starters come up with but a well thought out post will get lost in the 50 pages of one word posts. Not going to waste your time.

Reactions: The Bread Man

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So reflecting on this game, I think we played pretty well. Unfortunately, they didnt have Matthews (maybe Friday he will play). I think its pretty clear that we need more top end talent in our forwards. Our 3rd, and 4th lines are a mess. The Wennberg lines was just flat bad, and the 4th line was a train wreck. Some of this falls squarely on Torts shoulders. Milano, Bjorkstrand, Dalpe should all be in our lineup, on a nightly basis. Its like Torts wants to take the players that may have high end offensive talent, and put a bunch of checkers in their place. This team goes nowhere, if these guys arent developed. With Dalpe, I know some will say hes a career AHL player, but he looked great the only game he played with the jackets, last week. Noting the jackets have a pretty big void in top end talent, I think it becomes even more impperative that we ice 4 really good lines, and that we roll these 4 lines for the whole game. Problem is, we know Torts will never do this.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So reflecting on this game, I think we played pretty well. Unfortunately, they didnt have Matthews (maybe Friday he will play). I think its pretty clear that we need more top end talent in our forwards. Our 3rd, and 4th lines are a mess. The Wennberg lines was just flat bad, and the 4th line was a train wreck. Some of this falls squarely on Torts shoulders. Milano, Bjorkstrand, Dalpe should all be in our lineup, on a nightly basis. Its like Torts wants to take the players that may have high end offensive talent, and put a bunch of checkers in their place. This team goes nowhere, if these guys arent developed. With Dalpe, I know some will say hes a career AHL player, but he looked great the only game he played with the jackets, last week. Noting the jackets have a pretty big void in top end talent, I think it becomes even more impperative that we ice 4 really good lines, and that we roll these 4 lines for the whole game. Problem is, we know Torts will never do this.
Depends on your definition of "really good". The impression I'm getting is that Torts only counts folks as "really good" if they backcheck to the point such that we can take advantage of our blueliners' scoring skill and thus not end up in an even deeper hole. So, really, the calculation being made should be less "is Bjorkstrand better than Sedlak at scoring" and more "is Bjorkstrand better than Sedlak overall to a sufficiently high degree that we can thus afford losing scoring from Jones/Werenski/Murray/Nuti".

And when put that way, his reluctance to play some of the kids makes a whole heck of a lot more sense. Because they do produce more... but not that much more.

Reactions: major major

major major

Feb 18, 2013

If it's me making the lines for Friday I'm going Hannikainen - Dalpe - Bjorkstrand, and sitting Sedlak and Nash for the game. But I'm also not going to pretend it makes a huge difference. Bjorkstrand has been two hairs above useless this year.

With Matthews out, I really honestly don't see this clear top end deficit that you see. Their high end of Tavares-Marner was solidly outplayed head to head by Dubois' line. It was only when Babcock started furiously line matching then against the Jackets lower lines, using his last change advantage, that they did anything good.

The difference was home-ice last change, but also that the Par Lindholm 3rd line works as a shutdown unit. I want to see the Jackets build a second shutdown line around Dubinsky at centre. I'm not sure if Dubi still has that in him but I'd like to see it tried.

Reactions: Viqsi and cslebn

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Dalpe is bad. Very bad. Should be Milano Nash Bjorkstrand as the fourth line.

FLYERSG

Sep 27, 2014
Made trip from Ontario for this with some leaf buds. What time can we get into arena at????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad