Post-Game Talk: Game #2: Rangers @ Columbus Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Again I'd say zone exits were the real problem and where the vast majority of Columbus' offense came from. Sloppy passing, and weak attempts to "just get the puck out of the zone" meant the Rangers spent way too much time trying to retrieve pucks and move them and then getting pinned in their zone. That has to be better, guys can't keep making blind passes or clears or just flipping pucks in the general direction of their teammates. They need to KNOW where their teammates are and make strong passes that are on target. Too many weak flips of the puck or blind passes out to some general area. Really really really killed them tonight

Miller was fine. He's not perfect but he's not nearly as bad as some of you act like he is. Really I think he just needs to drive to the net more and stop trying to flip a pass all the way across the offensive zone from the boards.

Also games like this are why Glass gets a bad rap...he just is very ineffective in the offense zone. He doesn't DO anything with the puck, just generally loses it. He can't keep a cycle going which is what the team needs that fourth line to do.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Brassard looks like he had a nice relaxing off season after getting his payday. Not good at all.

Miller takes the puck wide every single time and gets rubbed out into the boards. Also seemed to miss almost every pass that came his way.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
I can't believe AV put MSL at center against a big physical team. Dumb. I also can't believe he took MSL offer to play center, seriously.

For whatever reason, he doesn't appear to want Miller & Hayes in the lineup at the same time. Looks to be trying to avoid it. Sorry, I don't think MSL is the better option here.

Kreider--Miller--Nash
Duclair--Brassard--Zuccarello
Hagelin--Hayes--St.Louis
Malone--Moore--Stempniak

McD--Girardi
Staal--Hundwick
Moore--Klein

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Setting the message in the ~second game of the season~ that you're just gonna let guys get clowned on like that isn't good either.

It wasn't a good situation, it wasn't a good game, it had that kind of "we won't win" juju to me at home and I imagine the same feeling might have been responsible for Kreider's decision and some of the worse individual performances.

There was nothing wrong with the hit..it was a blind accidental collision. Interference absolutely but not dirty. So is Kreider's play now getting to lessen the likelihood of accidental collisions in the future?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't expect Miller to be garnering praise but that fact that people are STILL harping on him over Hagelin-Brassard-Zucc is just laughable. You want to get on something get on 3 veteran players who are playing like AHL fodder.

Agreed. I think Miller's been better than Brassard, though that's not saying much. Both need to be better.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I don't expect Miller to be garnering praise but that fact that people are STILL harping on him over Hagelin-Brassard-Zucc is just laughable. You want to get on something get on 3 veteran players who are playing like AHL fodder.

This.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I think the Rangers are going to find it very hard to send Duclair back to the QMJHL. I think he's going to stick.

Ten games can't come fast enough until Stepan can come back. MSL is a horror show at center and Brassard looks like he's still on vacation.

Need to play Hayes and Malone tomorrow. Glass and Miller out.

Three Stars:

3. Anthony Duclair
2. Bobrobsky's Right Pad
1. Marc Joannette

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
schedule is fine. Plenty of bad schedules. We just rolled the wrong goalie for no reason.

Exactly. Even if AV feels he MUST sit Hank, then do it tomorrow against a team that's not in our division and is vastly inferior to Columbus.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Looks like J.T Miller will be yet another edition to Sather and Clark's growing pile of first round busts.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
New players and injuries, this was expected. Dumb scheduling by the NHL forced us to play our backup in our second game. Ridiculous.

Duclair needs to shoot more. His shot, dare I say it, is Seminesque.

yeah his wrist shot does look a lot like semin's. crazy combination of a power and quick release. it really explodes off the stick.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
Stemp and the Duke were outstanding. I am a big fan of Cam but he was not very good tonight. I think I would bring up Dejardins who looked pretty good in camp and see what how he does.

Did Glass play? He was invisible.

My line up tomorrow:

Duclair St.Louis Nash
Kreids Brass Zucc
Hags Hayes Stemp
Malone Moore Fast

Duclair and Nash are magic together. Brass/Zucc need a guy similar to Poo to make it work, Kreids is the closest we got.

Hunwick wasn't awful like I was expecting.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
you're twisting words so hard right now your keyboard is being sent into other dimensions.

"Kreider's decision was the reason they lost" is not a sentence that is valid tonight no matter how you justify it and support it with bent logic.

"his decision gave them no chance of winning" is not valid either. What the original poster said is that it costed them the chance at a comeback. The intent behind that statement is so obvious. It's basically saying "That wasn't a smart decision, it really hurt our ability to push for a comeback"

If you say Kreider cost them a chance at a comeback. It means any potential comeback could not happen because of Kreider.

Youre the one trying to change what he said, not me.

There is no other way to interpret his post other than concluding that Kreider taking the penalty cost them any chance of winning the game. So kreider cost them the game.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Duke could have easily had 4 points tonight...Loved seeing CK stick up for Zuc....Good that Zuc came and and played when all the internet Dr's had him out for the next 2 years....Lack of size and grit is an issue but I said that all last year so what do I know? If McIlrath couldn't have stepped in and played as well as Hunwick we are in trouble....Paging Steve Eminger...LOL

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
mint has an agenda against kreider its obvious

How so? Having the team's first line player in the box is detrimental to the team's chances at winning. I'm not against Kreider, I just didn't like his poor decision making tonight. He's too good to be in the box that long.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
If nobody did anything after that hit on Zuccarello, the majority of this board would be up in arms over the fact this team isn't physical enough/doesn't stand up for their teammates.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I would. Because they are the ones playing the game.

Also, I've always heard ex-players defend fighting after a cheap/questionable hit. Always. Never heard anyone say, "Well, he shouldn't have defended his teammate."

Ok well if you take their comments then your knowledge will be flawed as well. I mean you have guys like Doughty going out and saying CORSI is meaningless and stuff. They don't know these things. Of course they are happy someone stuck up for them. Does that mean they are now going to be better plauers? I hope not because if they do that means they weren't playing as well as they could in the first place. There are very few athletes who also understand the game from a theoretical standpoints (some examples would be Glen Perkins/Brian Bannister/Gabe Kapler).

Zuccarello Awesome*

They weren't nearly that bad tonight and the reality is that nobody is bashing Miller because he didn't score or something. They're bashing him because he played like he had a hole in his stick, missed about 10 easy tape passes and did nothing else but turn the puck over all game long. There's no reason to not have your head in the game enough to receive a simple pass. He was absolute ******* tonight. Hayes deserves a shot after that performance. AV agrees: watch the lineup tomorrow.

EEL

Sep 18, 2008
HHI
MSL is not a center
A player skating forward should be responsible for colliding with a player skating backwards.
Kreid's was right to go after him.
Cambot was off.
It would be nice to have Dylan on the ice for games like these.
Lastly The Duke is for real!!!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
MSL is not a center
A player skating forward should be responsible for colliding with a player skating backwards.
Kreid's was right to go after him.
Cambot was off.
It would be nice to have Dylan on the ice for games like these.
Lastly The Duke is for real!!!

Please, we gave up 5 goals as it is.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I can't believe AV put MSL at center against a big physical team. Dumb. I also can't believe he took MSL offer to play center, seriously.

For whatever reason, he doesn't appear to want Miller & Hayes in the lineup at the same time. Looks to be trying to avoid it. Sorry, I don't think MSL is the better option here.

Kreider--Miller--Nash
Duclair--Brassard--Zuccarello
Hagelin--Hayes--St.Louis
Malone--Moore--Stempniak

McD--Girardi
Staal--Hundwick
Moore--Klein

Don't like it a bit either, MSL should be at his right wing, try funny stuff against jokers like the Sabres or Flyers.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I would've been pissed off if Kreider did nothing.

I don't really have a problem with it. Just like I didn't have a problem with Girardi not fighting Carcillo after the Gaborik incident. Just trying to do what's best for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad