Post-Game Talk: Game 2 .... Oh boy. (Mod Warning #5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stef*

After the hundreth time his only response was, " well they didnt get to their game" hed be fired...

Most hockey coaches have a shelf life. when their system gets stale you bring in a different system and for a time players arent predictable and new stregths are forged. Therrien was defensive, Bylsma Offensive, in the intermediate between the two systems we won a cup... that or steal a guy like Babcock.

Julien seems to be a good mix and he seems to renew his messages so the players keep listening

Bob hartley used to coach a lot of stars with great success with the avalanche
May be when he becomes available...

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
These are some mighty advanced tactics to be introducing at this point in the season. Did he borrow them from The Mighty Ducks trilogy or that Simpson's episode where Bart and Lisa are on rival hockey teams?
Thanks for that. I now have visions of Kris Letang working on his knuckle puck during practice today.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
That's the problem when you employ guys like Mark Eaton on your top pairing. He's neither fast nor physical. He's basically a #6 or #7 playing on the top pairing.

It hasn't helped that one of our supposed mobile guys, Niskanen, has been complete garbage the entire playoffs. He hasn't seemed the same since Okposo KO'd him in Game 2. I think Murray would be okay if his partner was mobile and could do the majority of the puck lugging. Unfortunately, Niskanen's been terrible and so Murray's warts are showing more.

Chicago's top pairing is just the perfect pairing. Keith and Seabrook are exactly what we lack. Seabrook, IMO, is the key. He's basically the best attributes of Niskanen and Orpik wrapped in one package. And Keith is our Letang, except he seems to be better defensively and doesn't make as many boneheaded decisions.

Exactly, we have PMBNRD

Puck moving but not really defensmen playing... man, go watch the first period vs. Bruins.

Our F3 and our Defensemen have ZERO Clue on where they should be. Our positioning looked like my friends kids Pee wee team.

One D back... 4 caught in deep multiple times...

fate

Apr 15, 2007
Julien seems to be a good mix and he seems to renew his messages so the players keep listening

Bob hartley used to coach a lot of stars with great success with the avalanche

never thought i would quote pierre but it was really apparent that boston got the message when julien barked at them about not playing end-to-end hockey and wanted them to grind it out. they stopped that bs immediately

if bylsma says stop taking stupid penalties we keep taking stupid penalties

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Some of you guys are so negative, we were scoring a bunch of goals before, there wasn't a need to change the top 6, now that we stopped scoring DB will make some changes to the top 6.

The problem is we haven't beaten an actual contender since the Cup run. The Kunitz-Sid-Duper line is great in the regular season, but hasn't done **** in the playoffs. We DID score a bunch of goals, but we played against an Islanders team with poor defense and goaltending and then played an young, outmatched Senators team and we out skilled them to victory. Boston is the first real contender we have played and surprise, surprise our top 6 can't generate **** 5 on 5. Our PP carried a lot of the production in the playoffs thus far.

These lines didn't really make sense before and they don't make sense now. I just don't get why Dan has to wait till we are near the brink of breaking down to make any real changes.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
These lines didn't really make sense before and they don't make sense now. I just don't get why Dan has to wait till we are near the brink of breaking down to make any real changes.

He needs to be forced to change, it's ridiculous. The lines don't make sense now, and if they manage to get to the SCF they won't make sense when he reverts back to them either. He's stubborn until the last possible second, it's impressive in a really deranged way.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
From the Pens report. We literally know nothing.

PRACTICE DEETS
The Pens hit the ice for practice with a few players absent. Dupuis, Neal, Orpik and Martin were not on the ice.

The Pens lines were a mish mash of different combinations. Every rush featured different players.

And now, when all else fails, Bylsma harkens back to the Therrien time tested 'adjustments' circa January 2009.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
These are some mighty advanced tactics to be introducing at this point in the season. Did he borrow them from The Mighty Ducks trilogy or that Simpson's episode where Bart and Lisa are on rival hockey teams?

Personally, I hope they try the alley-oop

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
And now, when all else fails, Bylsma harkens back to the Therrien time tested 'adjustments' circa January 2009.

I heard Iginla will start in goal. DB wanted to make sure he went atomic on his misuse of a career RW....

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Two things of the long list of abominations that happened last night and particularly ticked me off.

CBC "analyst's" comment right after Fleury came on (at the 16:31 mark of the first) "16 and a half minutes and 3 goals too late guys"
Nice way of showing some respect for Vokoun, a guy that has absolutely deserved everyone of his starts, contrary to some of his Canadian teammate. Love it when national preferences come first, way, way before facts. As if French sports medias weren't already enough.:shakehead
FTR, he didn't comment after Fleury's first goal against.
Oh and thank god for the Bruins' sixth goal, it should make Bylsma's decision on who to start in game 3, a lot easier.(not that there was much of a difficult choice to make but with Bylsma you never know, heck, I'm still not sure)

At one point, 14-87-18 and 12-71-9 took a few shifts together. (yes, no typo, Iginla on the left to make things worse)
I mean, I can understand Bylsma sticking with 14-87-9 and 12-71-18 as they seem to be his favorite lines for whatever reasons..
But, what was the point in trying these line combinations ? (He didn't even try 14-71-18 and 9-87-12 once and yet he tried quite the number of different lines)
I really don't know, is a bet going on ? Is he trying to prove some point ? Is he trying to make fun of someone ? Yeah, I'm reaching because I just can't figure it out.
Oh yeah, almost forgot the most obvious one, is he that stupid ?

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The team needs more net front presence badly. That's difficult to debate.

I just don't really think that they can try to "out-tough" Boston any more than they already have. I don't see that as the tale of this series, at all.

I also don't think you have to be the size of a small sedan to go to the net. Look at how Crosby used to play. It's a combination of reinforcing that from your coaching/leaders as a recipe for success along with simply a want to do it from the player, himself.

Also... it's difficult to establish a net-front presence when all of your scoring chances are off the rush/one and done.

You know, in one sense, maybe Bylsma's right about the team needing an attitude adjustment, although it includes him too. I think back to the Malkin-Bergeron fight. Here's something Shawn Thorton said:

"When he gets that riled up it's usually for a good reason. I like it. He's not afraid to step up when he has to. We're behind him 100 percent and it gets the guys fired up when you see him get that emotionally involved. If you weren't into it, it probably forces you to be into it at that point."

Did anyone hear anything like that from the Pens, from the coach on down? Two guys who don't fight fought. Both said to their respective teams 'c'mon boys, let's pick it up a notch'. The B's to a man said 'damn straight' and have dominated this series since. The Pens, from the coach to the leader players, lamented the 'mistake' instead of listening to the message.

I wonder, in the end, if this doesn't really epitomize what's wrong with this team's attitude. In the playoffs, there's no offensive star, no designated fighter. Everyone sacrifices and lays it all on the line. Bergeron did when his team needed to kick it up a notch, and his team followed. Malkin unexpectedly did when his team just needed that one last little push, and the Pens yet again turtled. Why show heart when the guy least expected to show it gets roundly critiqued for doing so?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I heard Iginla will start in goal. DB wanted to make sure he went atomic on his misuse of a career RW....

Now that you mention it, I saw this earlier.. :laugh:

Dejan Kovacevic @Dejan_Kovacevic
If #Pens do, in fact, start Jarome Iginla in goal for Game 3, they'll also make him switch blocker and glove hands. #IggyTheGoalie

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

God, I hate you . . . you just made me spit up my soft drink on my computer keyboard. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wonder, in the end, if this doesn't really epitomize what's wrong with this team's attitude. In the playoffs, there's no offensive star, no designated fighter. Everyone sacrifices and lays it all on the line. Bergeron did when his team needed to kick it up a notch, and his team followed. Malkin unexpectedly did when his team just needed that one last little push, and the Pens yet again turtled. Why show heart when the guy least expected to show it gets roundly critiqued for doing so?

I think I remember a player on the Pens saying how much they appreciated that from Malkin (Niskanen, maybe?) but yeah... for the most part I was confused about people's response to that moment. Fans, players and coaches alike. It was reckless but you'd think Malkin doing something like that would have riled his team a hell of a lot more than it did.

Instead he largely gets tossed under the bus for it. As usual.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ahhh, I miss the Malkin-Sid-Hossa line.

ROFL

Say what you will about your buddy Therrien, but that guy at least got that his bread was buttered by Sid and Geno. A winger playing like ****. Therrien would put Iceburgh out there because, even if it didn't work, it was better than sticking with something that wasn't working Yes, his considering that his first and last adjustment was an issue, but have you EVER seen Bylsma use Joey V like Therrien used Talbot? Was there a night better than last to give him even ONE SHIFT with Malkin and Neal?

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
I think I remember a player on the Pens saying how much they appreciated that from Malkin (Niskanen, maybe?) but yeah... for the most part I was confused about people's response to that moment. Fans, players and coaches alike. It was reckless but you'd think Malkin doing something like that would have riled his team a hell of a lot more than it did.

it was Nisky who said something along the lines of "he isn't supposed to be fighting, but it was good to see Geno defend himself"

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

It's sad. I didn't hear Julien say 'they've got a ton of weapons, you're our best PK and FO guy, you can't do that'. I didn't hear another player say 'leave the fighting to us'.

I'll never forget game one of the 2006 series against the Sens. In the first few minutes, Mike Comrie destroyed Geno with a check. Guy is a cream puff, and he's playing like that. The Sens just totally fed off it, not just the hit but who was making the hit.

I really thought that SOMEONE would rally when Malkin did that. As I said, why show heart when you're crucified for it?

And, yes, it was Nisky who basically said 'good for you'.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
it was Nisky who said something along the lines of "he isn't supposed to be fighting, but it was good to see Geno defend himself"

Ah. Thank you.

The one and only positive comment that I've read regarding that fight.

I mean... I thought that's the sort of thing you look for in your top players, when this time of year rolls around? Particularly when you are down and momentum is tough to come by. Which is it? Or does it only apply if you are a good ol' Canadian farmhand? Keep your narratives straight, people.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My point was the Pens entire system is built on the PMD mentality.

Yup. Meanwhile, we won the Cup with Gill-Scuderi as the shutdown pairing. Kris Letang is NOT the problem with our defense. But he needs a steady partner (Scuderi?) and some support in terms of both steadier defensemen on the other pairings and a new system.

Bob Hartley used to coach a lot of stars with great success with the avalanche

Oh please. Julien was 10 minutes away from losing his job. And he was an OT loss away from losing his job in 2011, too! Hartley is Calgary's coach now so he won't be available for a little while but who cares? Why are recycled coaches the way to go?

It's time to think outside the box. Ron Francis. Ulf Samuelsson. Wayne Gretzky. Shawn Simpson. Those are some of the guys I'd like to see coaching this team, for various reasons. And with a new head coach hopefully comes a whole new group of assistants. They go hand-in-hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad