Post-Game Talk: Game 2 .... Oh boy. (Mod Warning #5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I immediately jumped on here to see the reactions. I figured for sure it would be overwhelmingly positive, based on all of the armchair QB's opinions on what Malkin "needs" to do in order to step up his play.

Needless to say, I wasn't browsing the forum too long. I just... don't really understand what people want from the guy. The goalposts move every single game.

You just caught the tide at the wrong moment...lol :D.

As for Geno resigning...
I almost feel like Geno is incapable of rocking the boat. He will probably resign.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I understand what you're driving at but I really don't have any problem with Shero, for the most part. Other than the fact that he gives his maroon head coach too much leeway and too many options. As ridiculous as that sounds.

That's not some 'ZOMG fire Shero critique'. Your reason is my problem with Shero. I just wonder about his calls to surround Sid and Geno. I mean, he put Joe Morrow and a 1st. Sid needed an impact RW. Geno and Neal needed the best, cap friendly complement on LW. You know where I'm going with this . . . we could've had Kunitz-Sid-Iggy, Kulemin-Geno-Neal, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis for the playoffs. :shakehead

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Regardless of popular opinion... Malkin is a consummate team guy. Does he love score? Oh... sure. But he understands it takes a whole team to win.

Everyone has their limits, though.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You just caught the tide at the wrong moment...lol :D.

As for Geno resigning...
I almost feel like Geno is incapable of rocking the boat. He will probably resign.

Agreed. In an odd way, it's moments like this where one almost could say that it's too bad he doesn't have a selfish bone in his body.

Regardless of popular opinion... Malkin is a consummate team guy. Does he love score? Oh... sure. But he understands it takes a whole team to win.

Everyone has their limits, though.

I think his would be no coaching change. Give him a summer hanging with Kovy and Kulemin and Gonchar. Talking to his hero Datsyuk. Maybe a 'how are you' chat with Superstar. In that scenario, I just fail to see what incentive he'd have not to just play out his current contract and become the most highly sought UFA probably in league history. I wonder if his agents and friends won't advise him of the same thing . . . he wants another cup bad . . . if he doesn't think he'll get it in Pittsburgh, then he'll go elsewhere. In a year, imagine adding him to that Toronto team, for example. Yeah, he'll probably resign because that's who he is. I'm just not banking on it 100%.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
I just checked it out - it would be helpful to include what's after the ellipse. He acknowledges that the defense is a weakness, but one that can be (and should be) covered up by a puck possession, grinding, high pressure offense. I can't argue with that. When your forwards don't win a single battle in the offensive zone, your defense will blow.

When has that worked in the playoffs... you have to play sound DEFENSE. Our "system" hasn't worked in 4 years. You can't just blow by people with all the holding and interference.

And I'd like to add that you can't just get 70% possession with all the holding and interference that is going on with the forcheck... it just doesn't happen IN THE PLAYOFFS.

We've won plenty of battles... look at those goals and tell me how we lost battles... THEY WERE HORRIBLE/ROOKIE mistakes that were counter attacked perfectly.

Our defense doesn't pinch correctly, they don't pinch correctly at the right time, look at the team when Crosby turned the puck over... Letang is pinching 10 feet from the blueline skating TOWARD the goalie...

Once again, if you think Offense, Offense, Offense will win in the Playoffs then I can't help you except look at the last 4 Playoffs or the last two games were we have been dismantled on the counter-attack from our positioning issues, or from horrible clears trying to push the uptempo offense, or from bad pinching defensemen, or from the F3 literally having awareness to cover...

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's not some 'ZOMG fire Shero critique'. Your reason is my problem with Shero. I just wonder about his calls to surround Sid and Geno. I mean, he put Joe Morrow and a 1st. Sid needed an impact RW. Geno and Neal needed the best, cap friendly complement on LW. You know where I'm going with this . . . we could've had Kunitz-Sid-Iggy, Kulemin-Geno-Neal, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis for the playoffs. :shakehead

Maybe... maybe not. I've never read anything that said the Leafs were willing to deal.

For the record, I've been beating the Kulemin drum for a while, too. He's like an upgraded version of vintage Malone.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe... maybe not. I've never read anything that said the Leafs were willing to deal.

For the record, I've been beating the Kulemin drum for a while, too. He's like an upgraded version of vintage Malone.

And as a complement to Malkin and Neal, perfect. IMO, you could tell me that I could have anyone, regardless of salary, to go with Malkin and Neal, and Kulemin makes my top five. Honestly, I'm hard pressed to name one I'd definitively take over him. Not the best player, but the ideal complement for Malkin and Neal. You can't put a stats based type of value on that.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
Boston board is very cocky right now,and they should be,but if the bruins feel this way to it can and will be a long series.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
Boston board is very cocky right now,and they should be,but if the bruins feel this way to it can and will be a long series.

You are dreaming. This board is nothing but realistic, this team is not playing well in any phase:

1. No coaching
2. No one even showed up last game
3. No offense
4. No defense
5. No teamwork
6. No goalie
7. No work ethic or heart
8. No fu#$ing clue what they are doing

Sadly, that's not even hyperbole. The Pens are playing like there standard DB Playoff team.

Should be an interesting off season though...

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
When has that worked in the playoffs... you have to play sound DEFENSE. Our "system" hasn't worked in 4 years. You can't just blow by people with all the holding and interference.

And I'd like to add that you can't just get 70% possession with all the holding and interference that is going on with the forcheck... it just doesn't happen IN THE PLAYOFFS.

We've won plenty of battles... look at those goals and tell me how we lost battles... THEY WERE HORRIBLE/ROOKIE mistakes that were counter attacked perfectly.

Our defense doesn't pinch correctly, they don't pinch correctly at the right time, look at the team when Crosby turned the puck over... Letang is pinching 10 feet from the blueline skating TOWARD the goalie...

Once again, if you think Offense, Offense, Offense will win in the Playoffs then I can't help you except look at the last 4 Playoffs or the last two games were we have been dismantled on the counter-attack from our positioning issues, or from horrible clears trying to push the uptempo offense, or from bad pinching defensemen, or from the F3 literally having awareness to cover...

We do play defense, but we play spazz style grinder hockey...
Skate absolutely as fast as possible....
Throw the puck around as quickly as possible...

Oh and when playing D...instead of actually taking the guy you are chasing, we just like blowing by him at 100mph, and then stop 20 feet from him starting at what to do next.

It's incredible how Boston's forward were able to gain the blue line and then just slow down, turn around, and there would be nobody around them.

If we actually paced our skating based on what was happening we'd do a lot better, and actually stay with our man in D situations.

Sheesh :).

Doesn't matter..
We are going to win game 3. Mark it! :D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You are dreaming. This board is nothing but realistic, this team is not playing well in any phase:

1. No coaching
2. No one even showed up last game
3. No offense
4. No defense
5. No teamwork
6. No goalie
7. No work ethic or heart
8. No fu#$ing clue what they are doing

Sadly, that's not even hyperbole. The Pens are playing like there standard DB Playoff team.

Should be an interesting off season though...

Yeah, but aside from all that, we're in pretty good shape, yes? :D

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
Yeah, but aside from all that, we're in pretty good shape, yes? :D

Seriously... that pretty much sums up game #2. Half these posters act like it was a grinding 1-0 loss in game #1, then a 2-1 3OT loss in game #2...

No doubt both of these teams are good. Unfortunately, our team and system is built for the February Cup not the Stanley Cup.

This team is DOA.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The Boston fans I've been running into have been unbearable. I don't know why people have to act like they were the guy scoring the GWG when their team wins a game or two...

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I hate that Bylsma is at least a nice guy. It makes it less easy to hate him.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
We played bad during parts of the islander series to and everything turned out OK,people need to stop panicking, I am interested how LA plays game 3 of there series,also being down 2-0

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
We played bad during parts of the islander series to and everything turned out OK,people need to stop panicking, I am interested how LA plays game 3 of there series,also being down 2-0

if LA wins tn, my confidence goes up exponentially for us

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I hate that Bylsma is at least a nice guy. It makes it less easy to hate him.

He must have stopped his Qdoba burritos...

Someone ship him a crate...
and while we're at it, send a face reconstruction kit to Horton & Lucic.

:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad