Pittsburgh
You misspelled “when” ;)
DlODsll.gif

Reactions: Bumpus

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
just went on NHL.com to check what channel we're on and saw a game already happening. Totally forgot about this VAN-CGY sideshow still going on :laugh:

Also, hurray playoffs for being watchable when I travel.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
they'll probably need Malkin and a "pretty good" version of Jarry to do it, but we just won probably the best division in the league. We obviously aren't actually a bad hockey team. In fact, I think we're a pretty good one.

Malkin will be hobbled and Sullivan's bench management of him is more likely to make Malkin a negative than a positive. Caps fans spent years clinging to their division titles only to be bounced again and again. So, we'll need the pretty good version of Jarry to get out of this round and a lights out one to get beyond it.

Look, I hope they win, but those 5 periods in Boston and New York where they completely imploded were a turning point and the significance perhaps escaped due to a bottom feeder heavy schedule thereafter.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Hopefully Tanev doesn’t continue with his Sheary impression by falling down and losing possession every time he touches the puck

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't know how anyone can look at the other games/series around the league and honestly say this team has a chance to do anything significant in the playoffs. Win or lose, this team hasn't looked good in the post season in years. Zero urgency, zero heart, zero intensity. They make every game look like a random RS game in December, whether it's the 1st game of the series or the elimination game. :laugh:

This is kind of a worrying thing. You look at that Florida/Tampa series and it's a war. Both teams are fighting for every inch of ice. The Pens don't seem to be playing with that sort of intensity. Forget the skill level for a second and just look at the intensity level.

I think a part of the issue is a lot of our "depth" guys aren't exactly physical and intense. ZAR plays positional hockey, but he's not out there to punish opposing defenders. He's not going to drive to the net and make life miserable for goalies. Ditto for a guy like E-Rod. He's a dependable guy who skates well, but doesn't exactly punish or battle.

If the Pens want to persuade me that they actually have a shot this year, it's gotta go beyond winning tonight (though obviously that's a huge first step). They've also got to show they've got their intensity level at a playoff level, and not just at a level you need to win regular season games.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Malkin will be hobbled and Sullivan's bench management of him is more likely to make Malkin a negative than a positive. Caps fans spent years clinging to their division titles only to be bounced again and again. So, we'll need the pretty good version of Jarry to get out of this round and a lights out one to get beyond it.

Look, I hope they win, but those 5 periods in Boston and New York where they completely imploded were a turning point and the significance perhaps escaped due to a bottom feeder heavy schedule thereafter.
am I crazy, or did we go like 6-2 vs the Caps and Isles this year? I'd obviously be less confident against Boston. And those teams can beat us too. They are really good too. But I think it's silly to count us out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is kind of a worrying thing. You look at that Florida/Tampa series and it's a war. Both teams are fighting for every inch of ice. The Pens don't seem to be playing with that sort of intensity. Forget the skill level for a second and just look at the intensity level.

I think a part of the issue is a lot of our "depth" guys aren't exactly physical and intense. ZAR plays positional hockey, but he's not out there to punish opposing defenders. He's not going to drive to the net and make life miserable for goalies. Ditto for a guy like E-Rod. He's a dependable guy who skates well, but doesn't exactly punish or battle.

If the Pens want to persuade me that they actually have a shot this year, it's gotta go beyond winning tonight (though obviously that's a huge first step). They've also got to show they've got their intensity level at a playoff level, and not just at a level you need to win regular season games.

Those teams are two powers. As I said earlier, I'd even settle for the type of fight and guts you saw from Minny. But like you said, there's nothing. No intensity. No passion. More like they go through the motions and hope for the best.

Well, hopefully the light switch flips to ON tonight, if only because the OFF version is so depressing. :laugh:

am I crazy, or did we go like 6-2 vs the Caps and Isles this year? I'd obviously be less confident against Boston. And those teams can beat us too. They are really good too. But I think it's silly to count us out.

How confident were the Caps fans all those years about their regular season body of work? Pens fans used to know there was a difference, a lesson bitterly learned from 2010-2015 and then forgotten again by some after 2016 and 2017. Just saying, the days for 'well, regular season' went out the window a few years ago.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
@ColePens and I were talking about this earlier.

It's not so much about the game or the series as much as it's about realizing this team doesn't have what it takes to make some noise in the playoffs.

I'm as pessimistic as they come, but even I thought if everything fell right-- injuries, Sully becoming a good bench boss, Jarry-- then this team had a chance to make a little bit of a run in the playoffs.

One game dispelled that for me, and it kind of transcends whether they win a game or the series.

(Now? The bench management is uninspired. The mix is wrong. The only thing softer than their physical play is their mental game.)

I'd just like to see this team come out flying and show they're willing to win all the battles. Not just play sound positionally, but actually up their intensity to playoff levels.

Too many of our depth guys are vanilla and not physical/intense. ZAR is a microcosm for what's wrong with the type of player fills out our depth chart.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
This Malkin situation is the weirdest I’ve seen in a while. With everything he’s been doing in practice, what exactly is going to change between game 2 and game 3? Or 4 or 5? Each day it seems like this is a big fake and he isn’t going to play. Dumbest shit I’ve seen in a while. Out 7 weeks, takes a little contact, out two weeks, but 3 more days is gonna make a difference? f*** outta here with that.

Pens can totally win this game, we are the better team, but if we do not I don’t see them coming back without Malkin. A lot of futures ride on this series and game 2 is the most important game we’ve played in a while.

Reactions: reino and Trade

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Kapanen scored 30 seconds after the Isles took the lead on Sunday. I think that kind of response shows plenty of character, and it's something this team has had all season.

Are they as physically dominant as other teams? No. But having the mental fortitude and resilience to keep battling and stay in games says a lot.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This Malkin situation is the weirdest I’ve seen in a while. With everything he’s been doing in practice, what exactly is going to change between game 2 and game 3? Or 4 or 5? Each day it seems like this is a big fake and he isn’t going to play. Dumbest shit I’ve seen in a while. Out 7 weeks, takes a little contact, out two weeks, but 3 more days is gonna make a difference? f*** outta here with that.

Pens don’t win this game I don’t see them coming back without Malkin. A lot of futures ride on this series and game 2 is the most important game we’ve played in a while.
He's not doing a lot of lateral movement in practice, according to Rossi and other reporters. It's a lot of straight line stuff, then long loops on turns. It seems to be a structural/confidence thing, which is why it's day-to-day. He's got to get to the point where he feels like it's not going to fail on him.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I feel like I watched a different reality's game 1 after reading this thread. All the wrong takeaways.

If you guys hate the team so much then do us a favor and don't watch? You're not under obligation to tune in for a team that you've deemed have already lost the series, and don't have what it takes. Just turn off the tv/computer and find something better to do.

Spare me and others the doom and gloom after an OT loss due to bad goaltending. Seriously, we don't need it. Just take a hike.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
How confident were the Caps fans all those years about their regular season body of work? Pens fans used to know there was a difference, a lesson bitterly learned from 2010-2015 and then forgotten again by some after 2016 and 2017. Just saying, the days for 'well, regular season' went out the window a few years ago.
it doesn't mean we'll beat them, but it's a pretty good indicator that we can beat them.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Certain people on this board made up their minds before the season started that the mix was bad and the Penguins wouldn't win this year. Every time something turns negative, they speak the loudest. Curiously, they're much quieter when the Penguins are rolling like they were in the aftermath of the injuries to Malkin and Kapanen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Pens don’t win this game I don’t see them coming back without Malkin. A lot of futures ride on this series and game 2 is the most important game we’ve played in a while.

Read Rossi's article from Monday. He can skate in a straight line well, which is what you see in those video clips. But, the starting and stopping is bad. Changes of direction? Bad. Lateral movement? Didn't even try it.

But, does it really matter anyway . . . we both know how Sullivan will use him, and if you think it looked blah to bad in the last 4 games of the regular season against crap teams, imagine how it will look against the Isles.

Reactions: Andy99 and Trade

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Those teams are two powers. As I said earlier, I'd even settle for the type of fight and guts you saw from Minny. But like you said, there's nothing. No intensity. No passion. More like they go through the motions and hope for the best.

Well, hopefully the light switch flips to ON tonight, if only because the OFF version is so depressing. :laugh:

And if there is any "fight", it would be nice if it was someone other than Sid, Letang or Geno losing their minds.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kapanen scored 30 seconds after the Isles took the lead on Sunday. I think that kind of response shows plenty of character, and it's something this team has had all season.

Are they as physically dominant as other teams? No. But having the mental fortitude and resilience to keep battling and stay in games says a lot.

I'm not saying it's a lack of character. I'm just saying I don't know if they have the right mix of players that you need in the playoffs.

Guess we'll see tonight. Hopefully they prove me wrong. I'd rather be wrong and watch them go on to win the Cup than be right and watch them flame out like a wet fart in 4 or 5 games.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens can play better, not sure the Isles have the next gear. As to Sully, management will not blame him as he did deliver a division championship. But his limited view on playing players who have an edge is not compatible with Burke for sure and Hextall did see the need to add more.Tthis off season will be a review of the need to add a couple players who meet those requirements to bring balance to the roster. Hextall will have the blessing of management if the Pens are bounced in the first round to do so. Sully has 3 years to go on his contract I believe and keeping him will a proviso of using guys who actually make a dent will be the deal. Pens with a sense of urgency will play well tonight and if Jarry shows up Pens can win.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure Hextall can't refill the tank, even with all three staying, but it'll take getting pretty much everything right and being willing to make some significant lateral moves designed to improve the mix (it's also going to take one other change, but I'll leave it at that).

That said, LET'S GO PENS . . . :D
I don't see a team that will be spending ~$25 million or more on 3 guys north of 35 being competitive. I just can't see it. This isn't the same as all the pundits who said the Penguins couldn't ice a competitive team with the amount of cap they were throwing at Sid, Geno and Letang when they were 26 years old.

You can't simultaneously spend the amount of money on these guys that we will be spending while also reducing their minutes to keep them fresh/healthy/effective throughout a full season and playoffs.

I think Hextall was brought in for the "give it another try or two but the rebuild is coming whether we like it or not" aspect of this team. We'll give it next season, then next summer we'll reevaluate where we stand. I don't see us turning our nose up at Geno or Letang if they want to stay, for better or worse (worse, imo), but if another season+ of age/injury has them considering retirement, or wanting to go somewhere else to have a better shot at the Cup, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad