GDT: Game 2 - Isles @ Pens - 7:30 PM ET - Everyone is a Game Time Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The hockey in this division is not entertaining. Even Boston - Washington while somewhat exciting has been a drag compared to what is going on in the other divisions.

Combine that with the fact we haven't won a playoff game in three years now. It really sucks.

And I'm not really someone that gets down on the Pens. I feel like if they win tonight they will be able to ride some momentum into the Island hopefully.

@ColePens and I were talking about this earlier.

It's not so much about the game or the series as much as it's about realizing this team doesn't have what it takes to make some noise in the playoffs.

I'm as pessimistic as they come, but even I thought if everything fell right-- injuries, Sully becoming a good bench boss, Jarry-- then this team had a chance to make a little bit of a run in the playoffs.

One game dispelled that for me, and it kind of transcends whether they win a game or the series.

(Now? The bench management is uninspired. The mix is wrong. The only thing softer than their physical play is their mental game.)

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know how anyone can look at the other games/series around the league and honestly say this team has a chance to do anything significant in the playoffs. Win or lose, this team hasn't looked good in the post season in years. Zero urgency, zero heart, zero intensity. They make every game look like a random RS game in December, whether it's the 1st game of the series or the elimination game. :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know how anyone can look at the other games/series around the league and honestly say this team has a chance to do anything significant in the playoffs. Win or lose, this team hasn't looked good in the post season in years. Zero urgency, zero heart, zero intensity. They make every game look like a random RS game in December, whether it's the 1st game of the series or the elimination game. :laugh:

And it's not just to there being no way they're hanging in a 7 game series with TB or a team like that.

It's that they don't have 1% of the guts Minny showed against Vegas.

The latter is the more depressing part, truth be told, because I wasn't naive enough to believe much in the former.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So the general feeling is pessimism with a sprinkling of self-loathing?

My kind of crowd.

OUR kind of crowd . . .

giphy.gif

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
And it's not just to there being no way they're hanging in a 7 game series with TB or a team like that.

It's that they don't have 1% of the guts Minny showed against Vegas.

The latter is the more depressing part, truth be told, because I wasn't naive enough to believe much in the former.
Yep. Era probably ended, for all intents and purposes, when they decided to stay the course following the Isles series a few years ago. That's when they needed to shift gears and switch things up. We were more than a year into JR's absurdity and it was plain there was a serious disconnect between coach/players, as well as coach/GM.

Probably too late now.

Reactions: KIRK

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Is it really being a downer to point out that a team with a ~35 year old core, that's won a single game in its last 11 playoff appearances, seems like it's outta gas? :laugh: Guilty as charged, I guess.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Is it really being a downer to point out that a team with a ~35 year old core, that's won a single game in its last 11 playoff appearances, seems like it's outta gas? :laugh: Guilty as charged, I guess.

I'm not sure Hextall can't refill the tank, even with all three staying, but it'll take getting pretty much everything right and being willing to make some significant lateral moves designed to improve the mix (it's also going to take one other change, but I'll leave it at that).

That said, LET'S GO PENS . . . :D

Reactions: ColePens

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
man, I'm thinking we can bounce back from 1 OT loss and still go be a contender. I apparently was mistaken :laugh:

Actually, I think even the most depressed of us know they can bounce back and win the game and even the series.

But, if you think they can bounce back and be a contender, please let me know what you're drinking so I can order myself a couple of doubles before the game. :razz:

Reactions: Andy99

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Actually, I think even the most depressed of us know they can bounce back and win the game and even the series.

But, if you think they can bounce back and be a contender, please let me know what you're drinking so I can order myself a couple of doubles before the game. :razz:
they'll probably need Malkin and a "pretty good" version of Jarry to do it, but we just won probably the best division in the league. We obviously aren't actually a bad hockey team. In fact, I think we're a pretty good one.

Reactions: Bumpus

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
The hockey in this division is not entertaining. Even Boston - Washington while somewhat exciting has been a drag compared to what is going on in the other divisions.

Combine that with the fact we haven't won a playoff game in three years now. It really sucks.

And I'm not really someone that gets down on the Pens. I feel like if they win tonight they will be able to ride some momentum into the Island hopefully.
You misspelled “when” ;)

Reactions: Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad