GDT: Game 2: CBJ vs Detroit | 7:30pm EST NBC/TSN| "Home Opener" Edition

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
As I watched the end of the game last night, something dawned on me as a fan....

This was the second game in a row where we came out kinda flat in the first. The fact that we only lost in a shootout, to me, was surprising given the complete domination of play by Detroit in the first period.

This team doesn't have the offensive horses to run with probably 80 percent of the teams in this league this season. I like the "full effort" im seeing in the second and thirds, but we need to come out strong in the first, this cannot become a trend. Luckily, we've caughten breaks these first two games, Nashville and Detroit didn't have enough results with their first periods to completely take the CBJ out of the game. Thats not always going to be the case.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Tyutin made 2 turnovers 20 FEET IN FRONT OF ME in the last 6 minutes, I saw it clearly. Now, we battled and hustled and got the puck back so maybe from an official scorer standpoint they were not turnovers. But twice in the last six minutes, Tyutin sent a clearing pass right to a Wing. Absolutely 100 % dead certain on that.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It took Umberger 70 games to get in game shape last year. I don't think we have that many this year. And frankly, for the amount of money we are paying him,Umberger SHOULD HAVE BEEN STAYING IN SHAPE DURING THE LOCKOUT, not coaching. If he wants to coach, let's tear up his contract and send him to somewhere in Central Canada where he can work on his coaching career.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This may be opening up a whole other can of worms, but I actually think most of the guys look more in shape than what I expected after the lockout. The announcers were fussing last night about how Bobrovsky played in the KHL and the NHL is a "faster, more skilled" league... but Bobs never missed a beat. Makes me wonder what Mason's going to look like when we see him, since he didn't play much during the lockout. I wonder if we can attribute Umberger's issues to not playing in a pro league. Any thoughts?

I have this pet theory that the time he spent coaching means that he's spending too much time watching the play and looking for adjustments in others, and thus ending up a few steps behind mentally as well as physically.

I also think he can rebound pretty quickly from that, though. Last year was an anomaly.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Old friend, Tom Reed, now of the Plain Dealer, provided a very nice writeup of last night's opener:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/sellout_crowd_welcomes_nhl_bac.html#incart_river

Good comments, too. Just as many of us support Cleveland or Cincinnati pro teams, and many around the state are Ohio State fans, it would be great if the rest of the sports fans around Ohio could adopt the CBJ as their NHL team, as well. It's been said many times, but the outreach effort by the team has not been nearly adequate. As one who worked for years back in the '80s to help the Indians realize there were rabid Tribe fans here (Gabe Paul thought this was completely Reds territory) I know that teams can overlook large potential markets. I'm sure the folks on Nationwide Blvd. realize what spreading Jackets passion outside of the immediate area can mean for them, but they sure don't seem to make the effort necessary to have statewide impact. Ever tried to get the CBJ on the radio while traveling around the State. Don't bother, you can't. Anyway, thanks to Tom Reed for getting the word out to the folks in NE Ohio.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Lemme just say that watching games and then talking about the games... I missed it. Of course, not all of you have any idea what you're talking about, so it's good to have someone like me (meaning specifically me) around, but still, this is way better than the last few months.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
One more observation. Please, please, please kill the Chili Chant during the third goal celebration. It absolutely sucks the life out of the celebration. When Prospal scored the third goal, the initial reaction was very "playoffesque" and then the kiddy keyboard comes out and absolutely lets the air out of the reaction.

The Chili promotion is great, but how about during a break in the action, have the announcer say, "The last Jackets goal means that everyone gets free Bob Evans chili..." followed by the kiddy keyboard chant.

I think that the goal celebrations would be better with a louder horn, the cannon shot and very loud fans, not chanting for chili. I love everything about this team, except this damn bush, momentum sucking chant.

I know it's unpopular, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I agree with many comments that have been made by others.

The hard thing about last nights game was its disjointed nature due to all of the penalties (on both sides). The CBJ need to clean up their game. That is probably the main reason why the defensive pairing time was as skewed as it was.

I know some have been picking on Tyutin, but I think we NEED the Tyutin / Nikitin pairing to play the majority of PK minutes at the moment (Detroit's 3rd goal was just a mess), but if you compare the first PK to the 2nd (where Tyutin was in the box) there was a world of difference.

Aucoin and Moore need some special teams play when there is that much of it during the course of the game, the other pairs were getting gassed by the end.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
One more observation. Please, please, please kill the Chili Chant during the third goal celebration. It absolutely sucks the life out of the celebration. When Prospal scored the third goal, the initial reaction was very "playoffesque" and then the kiddy keyboard comes out and absolutely lets the air out of the reaction.

The Chili promotion is great, but how about during a break in the action, have the announcer say, "The last Jackets goal means that everyone gets free Bob Evans chili..." followed by the kiddy keyboard chant.

I think that the goal celebrations would be better with a louder horn, the cannon shot and very loud fans, not chanting for chili. I love everything about this team, except this damn bush, momentum sucking chant.

I know it's unpopular, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

You and me, Kev. Like this.

Take last night. "FREE CHILI!!!!!!" "And, oh by the way, in a related development, your team now enjoys a one-goal lead."

A counter-argument has always been "but it's something the fans do well, together and loud." Not good enough. The fans are also good at yelling "shoooot" throughout power plays and other such nonsense. Doesn't mean it's a good thing.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
Ive been really impressed by our special teams this year The power play has looked really nice i love the big shots from the point, just like the goal from Wiz. The first PK was very impressive I don't think they allowed one shot but if I'm not mistaken I don't think we've let in a PowerPlay goal all year

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
if I'm not mistaken I don't think we've let in a PowerPlay goal all year

Ryan Ellis for Nashville scored on the PP while Dubinsky was in the penalty box.

The radio last night called the 3rd Wings goal a powerplay goal. What is weird is that it is not listed as a powerplay goal in the box score. But the puck clearly crosses the line between seconds 2 and 1 left on the PP looking at the video.

Official NHL stats have the Jackets 8 for 9 on the PK for 87.5%, 9th in the NHL.

Though as I mentioned, it should be lower than that, due to Detroit not getting credit for the PP goal last night.

bizzz*

I agree with many comments that have been made by others.

The hard thing about last nights game was its disjointed nature due to all of the penalties (on both sides). The CBJ need to clean up their game. That is probably the main reason why the defensive pairing time was as skewed as it was.

I know some have been picking on Tyutin, but I think we NEED the Tyutin / Nikitin pairing to play the majority of PK minutes at the moment (Detroit's 3rd goal was just a mess), but if you compare the first PK to the 2nd (where Tyutin was in the box) there was a world of difference.

Aucoin and Moore need some special teams play when there is that much of it during the course of the game, the other pairs were getting gassed by the end.
Thank you. The guy spent 25 minutes on the ice and all what some people can recall is a couple of unperfect passes. They don't even notice the difference between PK with and PK without Tyutin. They don't pay attention to the fact that all 3 Detroit goals came from their blue liners (which tells you that some wingers on the Jackets team weren't responsible defensively). They look at the +/-, recall a few bad plays and make conclusion "Tyutin sucked". He also currently leads this team in scoring for god's sake!

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Ryan Ellis for Nashville scored on the PP while Dubinsky was in the penalty box.

The radio last night called the 3rd Wings goal a powerplay goal. What is weird is that it is not listed as a powerplay goal in the box score. But the puck clearly crosses the line between seconds 2 and 1 left on the PP looking at the video.

Official NHL stats have the Jackets 8 for 9 on the PK for 87.5%, 9th in the NHL.

Though as I mentioned, it should be lower than that, due to Detroit not getting credit for the PP goal last night.

That could get corrected at some point.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Thank you. The guy spent 25 minutes on the ice and all what some people can recall is a couple of unperfect passes. They don't even notice the difference between PK with and PK without Tyutin. They don't pay attention to the fact that all 3 Detroit goals came from their blue liners (which tells you that some wingers on the Jackets team weren't responsible defensively). They look at the +/-, recall a few bad plays and make conclusion "Tyutin sucked". He also currently leads this team in scoring for god's sake!

Datsyuk is a defenseman?

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Agree that RJ was terrible, just terrible. And he is wearing an "A"? He played terrible for 85% of last year, too. This is not a good trend.

I also did not understand why Anisimov got no PP time. He and Cam are our two best offensive weapons and he gets zip on the PP?

Hopefully, this is where we will see the influence of JD. He did not have a stomach for ill-prepared players. RJ better get going like yesterday.

IHeartZherdev*

Tyutin was good yeasterdy, but Nikitin looked like he was drunk or tired, he took their pairing down. His worst game over the last 2 years imo.

Tyutin was -3. Took a bad penalty. Multiple turnovers lead to Wings scoring chances.

For every assist, or good lead pass, Toots takes away twice as much as he gives us.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Tyutin was -3. Took a bad penalty. Multiple turnovers lead to Wings scoring chances.

For every assist, or good lead pass, Toots takes away twice as much as he gives us.

I disagree with the "twice as much," and, as noted above, the 3rd goal will likely be changed to a PP goal, but your general point stands that he Tyutin makes good plays and bad plays. Anyone suggesting his play can be reviewed as either awesome or totally sucky is either lying or looking for only what they want to see.

bizzz*

The Jackets gave up 5 goals so far. 3 of them were scored by defensemen and another one happened because d-man was left alone. Only that fluky 1st goal on the 1st shot came from a winger. You can't blame defence for any of the goals. Defensemen don't cover defensemen in hockey.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You and me, Kev. Like this.

Take last night. "FREE CHILI!!!!!!" "And, oh by the way, in a related development, your team now enjoys a one-goal lead."

A counter-argument has always been "but it's something the fans do well, together and loud." Not good enough. The fans are also good at yelling "shoooot" throughout power plays and other such nonsense. Doesn't mean it's a good thing.

That just says to me that it's a good thing to do during play. :dunno:

bizzz*

1.AGAIN. He commited ZERO turnovers officially yesterday.
2.Which goal was Tyutin's fault? Why won't you blame Bobrovsky for any?
3.What exactly did he take away from you?
4.Read my other posts and come back with something useful. You hate for Tyutin isn't an argument.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
That just says to me that it's a good thing to do during play. :dunno:

Ahh the fans. I still laugh. There was some fan yelling "center it" for the better part of a period. I was quite patient, especially for me. After he did it for the 30th time or so, I stood up and yelled "For all that is holy, for the love of God, would you please center the puck?".

The entire section started laughing and didn't hear it again.

I'm not sure where you were going with this one, but yelling "shoot it" or "shoooot" is most assuredly not a good thing. The chilli chant doesn't bother me, but I can see how others would be. The CBJ get paid for that. It's a lot better than things like sponsor patches on jersey's. I was watching the TV and the players sure didn't notice the chant. I thought for a second we won the Cup. Would I prefer that they want a little longer to start the chant? I don't care, but I'm sure they could figure something out. It's not like it happens very often... :p

bizzz*

I disagree with the "twice as much," and, as noted above, the 3rd goal will likely be changed to a PP goal, but your general point stands that he Tyutin makes good plays and bad plays. Anyone suggesting his play can be reviewed as either awesome or totally sucky is either lying or looking for only what they want to see.

Every frikin body makes good and bad plays and take penlties. Everyone. But speaking of Bob no one mentioned that he could have had the 1st goal. No one mentioned that he gave up a softy in the 1st game on 1st shot. Cause everyone seems to understand his importance to this team.
When it comes to Tyutin it looks like some people watching the game to make a list of his mistake and come here with "Tyutin sucks" chant. If someone thinks this team's defence would have been better without Tyutin he needs to check out his mental health.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Ahh the fans. I still laugh. There was some fan yelling "center it" for the better part of a period. I was quite patient, especially for me. After he did it for the 30th time or so, I stood up and yelled "For all that is holy, for the love of God, would you please center the puck?".

The entire section started laughing and didn't hear it again.

I'm not sure where you were going with this one, but yelling "shoot it" or "shoooot" is most assuredly not a good thing. The chilli chant doesn't bother me, but I can see how others would be. The CBJ get paid for that. It's a lot better than things like sponsor patches on jersey's. I was watching the TV and the players sure didn't notice the chant. I thought for a second we won the Cup. Would I prefer that they want a little longer to start the chant? I don't care, but I'm sure they could figure something out. It's not like it happens very often... :p

Got to love the morons that yell shot from start to finish of the PP. WTH do they want the player to do? Fire it into the shins of the defender and turn the PP into a 2 on 1 going in the wrong direction?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad