GDT: Game 2: CBJ vs Detroit | 7:30pm EST NBC/TSN| "Home Opener" Edition

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Did you see the goal? Kronwal made a pass, but he also could score it by himself. He was wide open and that was the reason.

Just for you, even though I witnessed the goal live in the arena, I went back and watched the goal you speak of and Kronwall probably would not have scored that himself. He had Dorsett sliding in front of him. Kronwall made the smart play, didn't make the best pass and Datsyuk made a great play to put the puck in.

Tyutin did not have his best game, but our defense is noticeably worse without him. I will agree with you on that. I was more worried about Wisniewski and Johnson, they were real sloppy last night.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
Ryan Ellis for Nashville scored on the PP while Dubinsky was in the penalty box.

The radio last night called the 3rd Wings goal a powerplay goal. What is weird is that it is not listed as a powerplay goal in the box score. But the puck clearly crosses the line between seconds 2 and 1 left on the PP looking at the video.

Official NHL stats have the Jackets 8 for 9 on the PK for 87.5%, 9th in the NHL.

Though as I mentioned, it should be lower than that, due to Detroit not getting credit for the PP goal last night.

Ah okay yeah I was gonna say I thought that Datsyuk goal was after the PP but I'm extremely impressed with BOB how much did we give to get him?

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
The Jackets gave up 5 goals so far. 3 of them were scored by defensemen and another one happened because d-man was left alone. Only that fluky 1st goal on the 1st shot came from a winger. You can't blame defence for any of the goals. Defensemen don't cover defensemen in hockey.

Yeah, but defenseman do occasionally turn over pucks that lead to possesion by the other team, and eventually goals by opposing defensemen. Our defense could not move the puck for **** last night. That goes both ways, you have to move to space to allow your defensman to find you with a sharp pass, but ultimately its the dman with the puck that is responsible.

I'm certainly not picking on Tyutin. He's our best defenseman to date this season imo. The whole defense needs to be better. Hell John Moore looks like our second best in the back end right now...good on him, but come on JJ, Wiz, Nik, get it together boys. I miss Methot, go ahead and flame me, but Aucoin has looked like crap imo. The only reason I'm not screaming about it is, Foligno is really good on this team.

One more observation. Please, please, please kill the Chili Chant during the third goal celebration. It absolutely sucks the life out of the celebration. When Prospal scored the third goal, the initial reaction was very "playoffesque" and then the kiddy keyboard comes out and absolutely lets the air out of the reaction.

The Chilli chant doesn't bother me much, in fact I kind of like it because it's unique to the CBJ and nostalgic for me personally of the early years. I do understand how it can be annoying though.

Lot of criticism here for Umberger and deservedly so, however I'm going to give him a break in the fact he hasn't been playing like a lot of the others. He was coaching boys at Ohio State, he's not in game shape. We know he can do it, what's it our playoff year he had 25-26 goals? So let's give him a few games to get his **** together, then we'll jump on him!!:sarcasm:

RJ definitely looks out of shape to me, reminiscent of Commodore's second season. I don't think RJ will wallow in it like #22 did though. He'll get his legs back by February imo, but until then trim his ice time.

Wings with uncalled picks and interference all night long.

Thank You! I was starting to think I was becoming a Rimmer, I mean a Homer. I thought we were job'ed last night to be honest. They missed a few goalie interferences as well, and a xcheck some Wing laid on Brassard late in the game, and...

Last edited:

Paisano*

One more observation. Please, please, please kill the Chili Chant during the third goal celebration. It absolutely sucks the life out of the celebration. When Prospal scored the third goal, the initial reaction was very "playoffesque" and then the kiddy keyboard comes out and absolutely lets the air out of the reaction.

The Chili promotion is great, but how about during a break in the action, have the announcer say, "The last Jackets goal means that everyone gets free Bob Evans chili..." followed by the kiddy keyboard chant.

I think that the goal celebrations would be better with a louder horn, the cannon shot and very loud fans, not chanting for chili. I love everything about this team, except this damn bush, momentum sucking chant.

I know it's unpopular, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Agree 100%!!

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Ahh the fans. I still laugh. There was some fan yelling "center it" for the better part of a period. I was quite patient, especially for me. After he did it for the 30th time or so, I stood up and yelled "For all that is holy, for the love of God, would you please center the puck?".

The entire section started laughing and didn't hear it again.

I'm not sure where you were going with this one, but yelling "shoot it" or "shoooot" is most assuredly not a good thing. The chilli chant doesn't bother me, but I can see how others would be. The CBJ get paid for that. It's a lot better than things like sponsor patches on jersey's. I was watching the TV and the players sure didn't notice the chant. I thought for a second we won the Cup. Would I prefer that they want a little longer to start the chant? I don't care, but I'm sure they could figure something out. It's not like it happens very often... :p

I will freely admit that I was yelling for the boys to "cycle" during the power play last night. But what does "center" the puck mean?!?

Paisano*

Summarize the interview for me please?

He was basically talking about the game. The goal he scored when the rebound came right to him and he shot it home. He talked about how they came back and the fact this was a good team, this was Detroit, the Jackets came back from being down, actually held the lead and should have won it. Talked about the work ethic on this team he thinks is going to enable them to compete with anybody and will surprise some people. Just the way he talks you can tell he is a no nonsense guy who loves the game. Losing is a four letter word to him, you need to give your all 100% of the time. Anything else is unacceptable.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Jackets gave up 5 goals so far. 3 of them were scored by defensemen and another one happened because d-man was left alone. Only that fluky 1st goal on the 1st shot came from a winger. You can't blame defence for any of the goals. Defensemen don't cover defensemen in hockey.

Bingo. Our forwards need to backcheck more and cover the backdoor passes (see the Ian White goal)

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
1. What kind of hockey do you want, a shootout loss or a regulation loss?

2. Who said Nash was going to be replaced by hard workers? As for his replacements what are your comments about Artem Anisimov in game one?

3. Umberger is an issue but he has 198 points in four seasons as a Blue Jacket, have you watched any of his games?

4. The defense could have been better tonight but saying they never covered the backend all night could be debated, I saw them cover the backend several times...

5. Brassard outlasting Nash and Voracek is a ridiculous comment; there is no comparison between those players… different skills, different pay and different times. The simplistic comparion is that they are first round picks, if that's your reason you got that right.

6. Johansen was good again-you got that right Doug…

7. The other guy’s name I think you are talking about is Brandon Dubinsky, a guy the head coach said played well in game one even though he wasn’t noticed….

Your assessment of tonight’s game was horrible…..

1: Would rather have a shoot out loss, but what does that have to do with anything?

2: Who said Nash was going to be replaced by hardworkers? You are joking right? Anisimov is fine, but Dubinsky has been awful, and lazy.

3: I've watched all of Umberger's games, Umberger has sucked since he's been here, never been a fan of him or his game. He's a third liner being sold as a top liner. Can't stand the love affair of that guy. He's no more of a hard worker than a guy like Nash was.

4: You're joking right? The backdoor play was open all night, the score would have been 14-3 had not for Bob making many cross crease saves. They got sucked over to one side of the ice constantly. Defense chased the puck carrier all night.

5: Brassard outlasting Nash and Voracek is a ridiculous comment? I meant by draft position but I do understand a valid point there. Brassard likely has next to no value and is being paid a decent amount so you are probably right there isn't a good comparison outside of draft position.

6: I know.

7: I don't care what Shrek, I mean Todd Richards has to say. They've also always told us Nash was a great leader, blah blah blah, now the players come out with comments like removing the country club atmosphere, creating the offense the right way etc. If Todd Richards really believes Dubinsky is playing well, then he needs his eyes corrected.

Your analysis of my analysis is horrible. I'm confident in saying that Detroit was awful and last nights game looked like a high school hockey game with all the chasing the puck carrier, lazy passes, horrible passes to nobody, horrible passes to the middle of the ice, horrible chips off the wall in the defensive zone. With that said I can still give this club the benefit of the doubt considering the extremely high roster turnover with not training camp and preseason. I just didn't see any reason last night to believe this team is anything more than a bottom feeder. They may have resolve but right now offensively I can't see this team finishing in the top 13 in the west.

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
1: Would rather have a shoot out loss, but what does that have to do with anything?

2: Who said Nash was going to be replaced by hardworkers? You are joking right? Anisimov is fine, but Dubinsky has been awful, and lazy.

3: I've watched all of Umberger's games, Umberger has sucked since he's been here, never been a fan of him or his game. He's a third liner being sold as a top liner. Can't stand the love affair of that guy. He's no more of a hard worker than a guy like Nash was.

4: You're joking right? The backdoor play was open all night, the score would have been 14-3 had not for Bob making many cross crease saves. They got sucked over to one side of the ice constantly. Defense chased the puck carrier all night.

5: Brassard outlasting Nash and Voracek is a ridiculous comment? Again you're joking right? Those 3 were the only three top picks we made at forward that have played consistently.

6: I know just like I got the other 5 points correctly.

7: I don't care what Shrek, I mean Todd Richards has to say. They've also always told us Nash was a great leader, blah blah blah, now the players come out with comments like removing the country club atmosphere, creating the offense the right way etc. If Todd Richards really believes Dubinsky is playing well, then he needs his eyes corrected.

Your analysis of my analysis is horrible. I'm confident in saying that Detroit was awful and last nights game looked like a high school hockey game with all the chasing the puck carrier, lazy passes, horrible passes to nobody, horrible passes to the middle of the ice, horrible chips off the wall in the defensive zone. With that said I can still give this club the benefit of the doubt considering the extremely high roster turnover with not training camp and preseason.

Last nights hockey game wasnt pretty but we got a point. What the hell did you expect in the first couple games of a season in January? Look around the league, if we're horrible that must make all the teams that dont have a point the worst EVAR. Seriously stop overreacting, its been two ****ing games. Good thing you arent in Howson's position because half the team would have been traded away because they havent impressed you yet. Come back in ten games and then *****. Until then you are overreacting terribly.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Last nights hockey game wasnt pretty but we got a point. What the hell did you expect in the first couple games of a season in January? Look around the league, if we're horrible that must make all the teams that dont have a point the worst EVAR. Seriously stop overreacting, its been two ****ing games. Good thing you arent in Howson's position because half the team would have been traded away because they havent impressed you yet. Come back in ten games and then *****. Until then you are overreacting terribly.

I've already acknowledged that they need time to gel, wasn't an overreaction though I wasn't making a statement on the whole season rather one game. I didn't make any general statements other than those were the worst teams in the conference which I believed before the season started they were and nothing last night changed my mind. If I was in Howson's position I wouldn't trade everybody, the only guys on this roster I would have sent packing by now are Brassard, Mason, and Umberger. My irrational Umberger hate stems back from a game in 2008 I believe it was, against New Jersey where he whiffed a clearing attempt that cost us the game. Ever since then I have disliked the guy :D.

It's funny though, every season people bad mouth this team at the beginning of the year and people rush in to say it's to early as if this team doesn't have a history of embarrassment.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I've already acknowledged that they need time to gel, wasn't an overreaction though I wasn't making a statement on the whole season rather one game. I didn't make any general statements other than those were the worst teams in the conference which I believed before the season started they were and nothing last night changed my mind. If I was in Howson's position I wouldn't trade everybody, the only guys on this roster I would have sent packing by now are Brassard, Mason, and Umberger. My irrational Umberger hate stems back from a game in 2008 I believe it was, against New Jersey where he whiffed a clearing attempt that cost us the game. Ever since then I have disliked the guy :D.

It's funny though, every season people bad mouth this team at the beginning of the year and people rush in to say it's to early as if this team doesn't have a history of embarrassment.

Sure people can bad mouth anything doesnt mean its warranted. Atleast not yet. I dont mind anyone giving an opinion on something a player did or didnt do in a game but give them more than 2 games before you call them awful. Just sayin.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Doug, it might be easier to see the logic of your rants if you'd leave out the insulting language.

For example, however valid you may believe your criticisms are about Todd Richards, you're losing a lot of folks when you can't focus on hockey and instead resort to name-calling.

I really have no idea what Richards has done in his short time here to be deserving of such blinding hate. Frankly, it seems personal and weird.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
One thing I would like to see in NWA next season (if it's feasible)....

Free Wifi. The networks were overloaded by the 1st intermission. Somewhat frustrating.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Free Wifi. The networks were overloaded by the 1st intermission. Somewhat frustrating.

I use AT&T for my iphone. Last season I always had problems w/ the 3G network going down during games. Now w/ the iPhone 5 and LTE, I had no issues last night.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

I use AT&T for my iphone. Last season I always had problems w/ the 3G network going down during games. Now w/ the iPhone 5 and LTE, I had no issues last night.

Same here. No issues at all except during intermissions with iphone 5 and LTE.

wifi would be quite nice though, particularly if it were for STH.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I would like to see wifi for only STH and public wifi.

I asked the esteemed @aportzline via twitter about the wifi during one of his tweetblasts of arena improvements. I got no response, but don't think I've been blocked (yet) either.

He's so touchy about info...seeing as he's a reporter and all.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Same here. No issues at all except during intermissions with iphone 5 and LTE.

wifi would be quite nice though, particularly if it were for STH.

I also had full LTE on my ATT iphone 5 last night, but my wife's 3G iPhone was crap.

I asked the esteemed @aportzline via twitter about the wifi during one of his tweetblasts of arena improvements. I got no response, but don't think I've been blocked (yet) either.

He's so touchy about info...seeing as he's a reporter and all.

Lol

Last edited:

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I'm shocked there are no observations on the new ice cleaning pattern utilized by the ice crew!

I like it. Nice and quick. Wonder if this is due to a reduced time to get it done or just an attempt to be more efficient.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm shocked there are no observations on the new ice cleaning pattern utilized by the ice crew!

I like it. Nice and quick. Wonder if this is due to a reduced time to get it done or just an attempt to be more efficient.

Had forgotten but we commented thid the first time they took the ice. There was a break near the end of the game when they did the east-west pattern.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

They introduced a "Social Suite" this year. Wonder if it has wifi within its confines. Could be a step towards wi-fi in the rest of the arena if so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad