GDT: Game 2: CBJ vs Detroit | 7:30pm EST NBC/TSN| "Home Opener" Edition

bizzz*

Last year AA spent more than 2 hours on the NYR PP and haven't scored a single assist, just 4 goals. He wasn't on the 1st PP unit even in the KHL, puck moving is not among his best skills. I can't understand what is the reasoning for those people who want to pair Anisimov and Atkinson.

Tyutin was good yeasterdy, but Nikitin looked like he was drunk or tired, he took their pairing down. His worst game over the last 2 years imo.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Last year AA spent more than 2 hours on the NYR PP and haven't scored a single assist, just 4 goals. He wasn't on the 1st PP unit even in the KHL, puck moving is not among his best skills. I can't understand what is the reasoning for those people who want to pair Anisimov and Atkinson.

Tyutin was good yeasterdy, but Nikitin looked like he was drunk or tired, he took their pairing down. His worst game over the last 2 years imo.

Good info. His backhand pass to Dorsett last night was a gem. Had Atkinson been on the other end of that, we might have gotten on the board sooner.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
A few thoughts:

3 out of 4 points to start the season makes me happy,
the play of RJ does not,
Brass gets ragdolled more than any full-grown man I've ever seen in any sport,
Calvert and Atkinson are NHL players, despite their size, and will be fun to watch grow,
Bob has been our savior in his first two starts,
Johansen is much better, this year, and deserves more playing time,
I thought the top four defensemen all had poor games, last night,
Dorsett does not belong on a scoring line, any points from him are a surprising bonus,
The fourth grouping did everything expected of an energy line,
I'd still like to see Letestu in for Boll, though,
Richards seems to be taking an awful lot of heat, around here, considering how strong the team has played, so far.

Might we see something like this, soon?:

Dubi-Artie-Cam
Foligno-Joey-Vinnie
RJ-Brass-Calvert
Dorsett-DMac-Boll/Letestu

I hope so, anyway. Also, I'm not sure how long we can ride with "Controlled Caos" getting that much ice time, they both are really bad in their own end. More time for the third pair would be good, too, as they seem to work well together. Tyuts and NikNik had an off night, last night, but I expect better from them, tomorrow.

All in all, I have to be pleased by the grit shown, so far, and I certainly can't complain about the start in points. Some regulation wins would be nice, and even some coasting blowouts to easy my anxiety.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Tyutin and Nikitin were both just dismal last night. Dubi still looks like he's trying to find his way, but was good on the PK.

Steeltown Jacket

FanFromPensTerritory
Aug 8, 2011
Central Ohio
Was at the game last night and I echo all the same sentiments above, specifically RJ. Man it was painful to watch him out there.

Finally Detroit fans are just a-holes. One lady behing me just complained all day long. How bad teh arena is, how uniformed the fans are. I mean how miserable must her life be, just to come to a game and complain all game long? I hate Dead Things and their fans.
I hope she doesn't think JLA is anywhere near as good at NWA. I've been to JLA and it's a PoS.

The arena review:
Scoreboard is a beauty.
ACA? Big deal in their own minds. I was directly across and below and didn't hear/ notice them at all.
Wings fans are Wings fans, but their numbers last night were manageable.
My son won a $100 gas card during intermission go-kart racing ( team OU oh-yeah!)
Still can't stand Mike Todd, but he seemed more subdued, less screechy last night.
I loved the intro of he Juniors fom Dublin. Classy, and a warm response from the fans.

I like this Cbj team, they haven't quit. Refreshing!

I might have missed something, but is there some controversy around the ACA?

I said the same thing last night; this team feels different than years past and I've enjoyed it, so far. Just keep hustling, fighting, and you'll make a lot of CBJ fans proud and happy.

mt-svk

CBJ/OTT fan
Jun 6, 2007
Brassard and Umberger... no good boys... sleep or what?
Tyutin and Nikitin.... no ideal game
Aucoin and Moore... our best defensive pair IMO
Johnson and Wiz... average
Foligno--Johansen--Prospal.... our the best line
Bobrovsky.... our best player and IMO our new number one.... he is simply great :)

but what is the important... boys fight it wasnt before

mt-svk

CBJ/OTT fan
Jun 6, 2007

He was the first PP in KHL later :)

Anisimov needs creative player to him he is a plyer in the front of the net, or similar type like it was in Lokomotiv where Plotnikov is hysical player too and Galimov more creative. But Artem isnt quite checker he can be good the second line center IMO. But IMO Atkinson needs creative center more and Calvert can play with similar players so I prefer Calvert before Atkinson in this line.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Pete, I agree with every one of your points.

For person who said Tyuts had a good game-- are you kidding me? He seemed to have time traveled back 3 years to when he routinely made stupid passes back to the opponent in our own defensive zone. I thought it was his worst game in a couple of years.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Pete, I agree with every one of your points.

For person who said Tyuts had a good game-- are you kidding me? He seemed to have time traveled back 3 years to when he routinely made stupid passes back to the opponent in our own defensive zone. I thought it was his worst game in a couple of years.

Are you back in your usual seats, EDM? I seem to remember that you were thinking of giving them up.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
One other thing, and it concerns a man whom I have scorned many a time. Tip of the hat to MacJr. He has finally figured this thing out and has the franchise headed in the right direction. From Davidson's booming, confident presence and voice, to the composition and character of the team, what I saw last night was a pro hockey franchise, something I have not been able to say in the past four years. I sure hope that we are able to use this year's draft to add some genuine offensive talent. That seems to be the one missing ingredient. But I give a tip of my hat to MacJr. for finally putting in place the right people to run the franchise like an NHL franchise is supposed to be run. The amateur hour seems to be officially over.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah, Pete, I held on to them. If this year had started like last year, this would have probably been the last year for me. But as I said in the previous post, I can now see an actual NHL franchise on the ice in Columbus. So I will be sticking by it.

bizzz*

Good info. His backhand pass to Dorsett last night was a gem. Had Atkinson been on the other end of that, we might have gotten on the board sooner.
I think there's a difference between single play and playing style. Jody Shelley also scored a few goals during his career, but it doesn't make him a goal scorer. Anisimov's goals and assists numbers are pretty close over his career for a reason.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
One other thing, and it concerns a man whom I have scorned many a time. Tip of the hat to MacJr. He has finally figured this thing out and has the franchise headed in the right direction. From Davidson's booming, confident presence and voice, to the composition and character of the team, what I saw last night was a pro hockey franchise, something I have not been able to say in the past four years. I sure hope that we are able to use this year's draft to add some genuine offensive talent. That seems to be the one missing ingredient. But I give a tip of my hat to MacJr. for finally putting in place the right people to run the franchise like an NHL franchise is supposed to be run. The amateur hour seems to be officially over.

Wow!

Yeah, Pete, I held on to them. If this year had started like last year, this would have probably been the last year for me. But as I said in the previous post, I can now see an actual NHL franchise on the ice in Columbus. So I will be sticking by it.

I'm a couple of sections over. One day, we'll have to meet up for a beer between periods.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I agree with everyone's assessment of our supposed "strength" of the team. Defense was sloppy and disjointed last night. Nikitin was dreadful last night. Moore-Aucoin was probably the least dreadful of the three pairs. I will say that they will put points up. It is great to have three cannons from the point.

Johansen was very noticeable last night (except his shootout attempt, WTF, it's not junior anymore). He played like he is 6'4", 215. I really like his game, if he puts this effort into things, he would be exactly what we were all expecting.

Umberger and Brassard....NOT FIRST LINE MATERIAL. If I were Richards, I would experiment with a top line of Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson. Size, speed and skill.

Calvert, I really like his game. He works his butt off and I think that he is going to turn into a quality 3rd liner.

I think that Richards could do some line tinkering, he started to do some last night and they looked much better in the third.

Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Prospal (Ranger Line)
Umberger-Brassard-Calvert
Boll/Gillies-Mackenzie/Letestu-Dorsett

Effort is there so far and if they continue to put that kind of effort into their game, the barn will start to fill again.

BTW, Davidson's speech before the game, gave me chills. That man is going to get things turned around. Take it to the bank.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
A few random thoughts:

The horizontal stripes on my sweater looked great in Hi DEF.

Jackets need to get the defense figured out. Offense is OK now but going to have to win some games in regulation only scoring two goals.

Wings with uncalled picks and interference all night long.

Swap Calvert with Dorsett? More Cam with Ryan? I think the line shifts in the third were dictated by all the special teams, so hard to say if Richards is thinking about moving some guys around. It seems almost inevitable though, given the number of new guys and the short camp.

Liked Aucoin. Lotta smart play without the puck.

Bob overplayed the third goal, but it's hard to fault him after that first period. I love to watch him - his head/eyes are always finding not just the puck but where it might be going.

Sucks that that's not a goal for Cam in the SO.

Wiz with two straight passes on the PP when I yell "you brought him here to shoot!" Then they find Wiz at center point and voila! They should listen to me more often.

anteater90

Jun 26, 2006
Hilliard
Simply put, it is about points. I will take 3 out of every 4. I thought we would be 0 for 2 at this point. That said we need at least 3 out of the next 6 points . PHX and COL We need at least one win. It will be a hard back to back. Then I want the Hawks beaten on Sat.

bizzz*

He was the first PP in KHL later :)

Anisimov needs creative player to him he is a plyer in the front of the net, or similar type like it was in Lokomotiv where Plotnikov is hysical player too and Galimov more creative. But Artem isnt quite checker he can be good the second line center IMO. But IMO Atkinson needs creative center more and Calvert can play with similar players so I prefer Calvert before Atkinson in this line.
So youve changed your mind since yesterday when you said that you wanna see Anisimov with Atkinson? :) I agree with you though. A player like Voracek would have been the best fit for the Arty/Duby combo, not a goal scorer like Atkinson.

Tyutin made ZERO turnovers last night in any zone. So I have no idea what you were talking about.

BTW no one mentioned the terrible Dorsette's decision on Detroit's 3rd goal. He went to the corner where Tyutin was fighting for the puck and left his d-man wide open. Centers covering centers, d-men covering wings. The 3rd Wings goal on Dorsette.

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
I have a question regarding the shootout rules.

When a player/puck stops progressing forward, or moves backward, plays dead. With the exception of a "spin-o-rama" type move.

When the puck is ruled as "shot" and the goaltender makes initial save, no 2nd attempt may be made and the play is dead (a la Atkinson).

(Question) When a player crosses the red goal line, is the play also supposed to be dead??? I know you can't make wrap-around attempts, etc, but can a player physically skate past the goal line and shovel the puck in???

Obviously it was allowed last night, but the official cause for review was to make sure that the player was in continuous forward motion and the puck never quit moving/went backward, not to review where the player was at the point the puck crossed the line. Watching the video this morning on Puck Daddy, and reading his review of "one of the best shootout goals ever"... I questioned this, and didn't know the official answer.

At what point is a player "out of the play" in regards to the goal line??? If you pause the replay at 25sec, his front skate and body are across the line, and his back skate up... do both feet have to cross to be considered dead???

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I have a question regarding the shootout rules.

When a player/puck stops progressing forward, or moves backward, plays dead. With the exception of a "spin-o-rama" type move.

When the puck is ruled as "shot" and the goaltender makes initial save, no 2nd attempt may be made and the play is dead (a la Atkinson).

(Question) When a player crosses the red goal line, is the play also supposed to be dead??? I know you can't make wrap-around attempts, etc, but can a player physically skate past the goal line and shovel the puck in???

Obviously it was allowed last night, but the official cause for review was to make sure that the player was in continuous forward motion and the puck never quit moving/went backward, not to review where the player was at the point the puck crossed the line. Watching the video this morning on Puck Daddy, and reading his review of "one of the best shootout goals ever"... I questioned this, and didn't know the official answer.

At what point is a player "out of the play" in regards to the goal line??? If you pause the replay at 25sec, his front skate and body are across the line, and his back skate up... do both feet have to cross to be considered dead???

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I don't think the player's positioning has anything to do with the shootout. So if he somehow did a behind the back move from behind the goal line, it'd still count, provided he didn't move backwards at any point.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Simply put, it is about points. I will take 3 out of every 4. I thought we would be 0 for 2 at this point. That said we need at least 3 out of the next 6 points . PHX and COL We need at least one win. It will be a hard back to back. Then I want the Hawks beaten on Sat.

Phoenix is 0-2 and appears to have soem defensive issues based on their 10 goals allowed so far. Colorado has only played once at this point but I expect they are going to need some time to find their offense. Ryan O'Reilly holding out doesn't help them but they still have an aging Hedjuk, Stasny, and Landeskog. They could be dangerous if Matt Duchene rebounds to his form of 2 years ago but their defense isn't their strong point.

Paisano*

Lot of criticism here for Umberger and deservedly so, however I'm going to give him a break in the fact he hasn't been playing like a lot of the others. He was coaching boys at Ohio State, he's not in game shape. We know he can do it, what's it our playoff year he had 25-26 goals? So let's give him a few games to get his **** together, then we'll jump on him!!:sarcasm:

How many heard the post game interview on the radio of Vinny? Ya gotta love this guy! I'd love to see the C on him! There can't be anyone on the team who loves to play more than him! Hope we can squeeze another season or two out of his bones!

pickledcotton

May 23, 2003
Pataskala, OH
This may be opening up a whole other can of worms, but I actually think most of the guys look more in shape than what I expected after the lockout. The announcers were fussing last night about how Bobrovsky played in the KHL and the NHL is a "faster, more skilled" league... but Bobs never missed a beat. Makes me wonder what Mason's going to look like when we see him, since he didn't play much during the lockout. I wonder if we can attribute Umberger's issues to not playing in a pro league. Any thoughts?

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
The lasting image that sticks with me from this game was on the play that Foligno got the penalty....while it didnt end well, I have never seen a forward, center or wing, back check as fast as he did, and then rush up ice in the same speed he got back on....that was some serious hustle. Needs to be careful of new rules protecting the goalie more, but man was he flying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad