GDT: Game 2 - CBJ (0-1-0) at PIT (0-1-0) - 5 Oct 2019, 7pm

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
h0f6pas019sz.png

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Pin it on whomever but you know who gets canned first. Torts will (right or wrong) be run first and maybe by the end of the calendar year. Jarmo would be offseason IF at all.
I don't see how anyone thought this group had the consistent firepower to carry it through this campaign...
I wouldn't be so sure either get canned. Management likely knew this would be a rebuilding year of sorts, despite the rhetoric. Going to be a very uneven year given the youth, particularly in net.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
There is no one in Cleveland that will lift the offence. Its unfair but this is where Cam has to step up and be the goal scorer. This team is full of people who can score 20 or so goals, but they desperately lack the consistent set-up guys who can get the assists. I think Milano can be that guy, but he would have to pretty much change his game, and protect the puck better. He has good vision on the ice, and good passing ability. He would have to give up being a goal scorer type guy, and that is where I see the issue, I don't think he wants to do that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t think we really have much of a choice but to ride with Korpi for a while with very rare Elvis starts.

Agreed on that part. Though I don't think Elvis is going to learn as well if he's just sitting, hence Cleveland would be ideal for him.

And I'll admit I would take a bit of pleasure in seeing a cocky kid get sent down after he thought he was too good for the AHL.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I felt bad for Elvis tonight. Poor kid played awful, and his team gave him absolutely no help. Bled chance after chance and odd man rushes against big brother. He let in at least 4-5 softies. Not your ideal NHL start. Also lol at people saying send him down, the front office completely banked on this kid pushing Korpisalo or winning the job, they're not backing off that.

Aside from Nash, Anderson, and Jenner were the only decent players tonight. Wennberg was fine as well I guess. Not one defenseman has shown anything to me, although Werenski was better.

Its hard not to overreact to the 2 games, because I thought they were OK against Toronto. But they were ****ing pitiful tonight, and the fact that PLD is already playing the "we're actually good guys, you'll see!" in the media is concerning. They have zero confidence in themselves, their goalies, and worst of all each other. Terrible game.

Bemstrom and Texier are not ready. Bemstrom should go back to Sweden immediately. Texier will likely need to go back to Cleveland at some point soon.

Death, taxes, and the CBJ losing to big brother PIT.

So you think Elvis is definitely not being sent down, but Texier is? Texier looks better than you'd expect for a 20 year old starting his first season in the NHL - not perfect but he's getting his share of scoring looks and winning his share of battles. He adds something we need to the lineup. I'm not sure about Bemstrom, he hasn't played enough to fairly judge him and that might be the bigger issue. If he isn't going to play more than 9:30 per game then they have to send him down.

I'm sure the FO will need a lot more persuasion to send Elvis down, I'm just saying what I want them to do. And I wouldn't rule out Elvis providing persuasive enough evidence in favor of his demotion. They're not keeping him on the roster if he's an .880 goalie. That's not good for anyone.

Reactions: CPTN71

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He got lit up in his debut. Stuff happens. But if he lets in the shaky goals like he did last night on a regular basis in his next 4 or 5 starts, then there's an obvious need for seasoning in the AHL and/or significant coaching time on his technique.

The CBJ front office may have had to do what they did to sign him (no AHL last year), but the idea of throwing a player straight into the NHL with no small rink experience was rife with peril. Lundqvist didn't play a game in the AHL, but Rinne played 3 years in Milwaukee and Rask 2 years in Providence. If Elvis struggles and refuses assignment to the minors, it would be a very easy decision for the CBJ front office. Suspend him and then release him if need be.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Agreed on that part. Though I don't think Elvis is going to learn as well if he's just sitting, hence Cleveland would be ideal for him.

And I'll admit I would take a bit of pleasure in seeing a cocky kid get sent down after he thought he was too good for the AHL.

I saw a number on the AHL site yesterday which was stunning. 622 former AHL players are on NHL rosters starting the 2019-20 season. That's 20 per team. Now some were only there for a cup of coffee, but the percentage speaks volumes.

Perhaps Elvis doesn't respect how good the AHL is. It's either the second best or the third best league in the world. The only other league that could make the claim to being second best would be the KHL. The way Elvis played last night, he would have been lit up in the AHL. He wouldn't have cut it in the ECHL last night for that matter-and I'm not kidding at all about this.

Last edited:

Rovad

Aug 27, 2018
Elvis was reportedly the best goalie in the world outside the NHL...a couple more performances like last night and it could be true again...:sarcasm:
What?He played in 3rd grade league (Switzerland national league) i'm pretty sure there like 50+ better goalies in the world outside of nhl

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Indeed. It is, nonetheless, a very discouraging start. I wouldn't be making conclusions as to the nature of the rest of the season based off of same, but I can understand folks being frustrated and depressed; I'm there myself.
I don't disagree. My Rangers were blowing out Ottawa (not that it's a big achievement), so I switched to the Jackets game and it was really painful to watch. There are some great young players on the team, but not enough quality depth. And nothing will kill a team faster than bad goaltending. That's a #1 issue for Columbus to address. When I said in the summer that Bob's departure will be felt a lot more than Bread's, people were laughing at me. And yes, Panarin instantly changed the Rangers and lifted them to a different level. But you take away solid goaltending, and no single player can compensate for that.

Reactions: akmuo33

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I don't disagree. My Rangers were blowing out Ottawa (not that it's a big achievement), so I switched to the Jackets game and it was really painful to watch. There are some great young players on the team, but not enough quality depth. And nothing will kill a team faster than bad goaltending. That's a #1 issue for Columbus to address. When I said in the summer that Bob's departure will be felt a lot more than Bread's, people were laughing at me. And yes, Panarin instantly changed the Rangers and lifted them to a different level. But you take away solid goaltending, and no single player can compensate for that.

agreed and that’s why the CBJ were trying to re-sign Bob up until the last minute

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
We need to find an aging veteran that a club is shepherding out the door (in favor of a new stud) who still has one or two good years of hockey left in him. Someone who can also mentor Korpi, Elvis or VV.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
We need to find an aging veteran that a club is shepherding out the door (in favor of a new stud) who still has one or two good years of hockey left in him. Someone who can also mentor Korpi, Elvis or VV.

problem is where do you put Elvis or Korpi if you bring in a vet? The time to do this was in the offseason. Then you trade a Korpi for a pick at that point (would be very hard to trade a goalie this early in the season). Now we’d have to either carry 3 goalies on the NHL roster (a disaster) or may have to suspend Elvis if he refuses to report to the AHL.

This was a miscalculation of epic proportions by Jarmo.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Pretty sure he has to go thru waivers to be sent down , thought he signed a 1 way deal ?

Reactions: Lumbus

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I wouldn't give up on Korpi so fast. They thought McElhinney was garbage and he has been servicable since he left. Maybe Legace isn't coaching these guys to their strengths. Its way to early to freak out on goaltending. Especially since we have a hard time scoring.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
agreed and that’s why the CBJ were trying to re-sign Bob up until the last minute
It was too late. The relationship has effectively ended after this: Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky will not be with the team for tonight's game vs. the Nashville Predators, club General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen announced today. "There are certain expectations and values that we have established for our players that define our culture," said Kekalainen. "An incident occurred in which Sergei failed to meet those expectations and values, so we made the decision that he would not be with the team for tonight's game. This is an internal matter and we will have no further comment at this time."

Bob acted like a child, but he was not malicious. The situation should've been handled differently. It's never a good idea to publicly embarrass a veteran player. Jarmo made a miscalculation: he thought no one would be able to offer Bob the money & term he wanted. So he was playing these silly ego-driven games. Anyone looking from the outside could tell it was not a smart move.

Something is not right when every single free agent is willing to take less money to go somewhere else. Columbus is not London, but it's a fine city. So it comes down to something else. And I think that a) people don't want to play for Torts; and b) Jarmo's ego gets in the way of everything.

Last edited:

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

I will take joy in seeing him develop into a great goalie for the Jackets and a better young man. Who knows, the thrashing he took last night might just be what the doctor ordered?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I said it several times: Georgiev. The Rangers will bring up Shestyorkin at some point. Georgiev is a legit #1, and if Shestoyrkin is as good as advertised, NYR do not need both. He won't be available this year, so you need a vet (Quick is a good suggestion) - but can trade for him in the off-season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So you think Elvis is definitely not being sent down, but Texier is? Texier looks better than you'd expect for a 20 year old starting his first season in the NHL - not perfect but he's getting his share of scoring looks and winning his share of battles. He adds something we need to the lineup. I'm not sure about Bemstrom, he hasn't played enough to fairly judge him and that might be the bigger issue. If he isn't going to play more than 9:30 per game then they have to send him down.

I'm sure the FO will need a lot more persuasion to send Elvis down, I'm just saying what I want them to do. And I wouldn't rule out Elvis providing persuasive enough evidence in favor of his demotion. They're not keeping him on the roster if he's an .880 goalie. That's not good for anyone.

If it was me, I’d be looking to send Texier down. It won’t happen though. They banked on him too.

There’s nobody else to replace Elvis. Unless you’re in favor of trading an asset for a backup, which I’m not. Elvis isn’t going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad