GDT: Game 2 - CBJ (0-1-0) at PIT (0-1-0) - 5 Oct 2019, 7pm

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Merzlikins belongs in the AHL. I'd send him to Cleveland right away, and smack him on the way down. He should have started there last Spring.

DeSmith, who has a career .917, was on waivers last week. He passed through. I'm not sure why.

I'm not worried about the cost of getting another goalie, it's not that expensive. I just hope we don't have to see too many more nights like this before Jarmo finally admits defeat and gets one.
I just want another goalie, one who can stop shots

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Indeed. It is, nonetheless, a very discouraging start. I wouldn't be making conclusions as to the nature of the rest of the season based off of same, but I can understand folks being frustrated and depressed; I'm there myself.
I still love the Jackets, no matter how badly they have played. Let’s go get Buffalo on Monday

Lumbus

Nov 25, 2016
Wennberg hasn't sucked these first 2 games. That's about the most positive thing I can muster at the moment.

I see your Wennberg praise and raise you a Boone. Both have played well in the first 2 games

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Elvis has to stay up. Who are you going to bring up, Kiv? VV was sent down for a reason. Right or wrong, I don't believe in burning out young guys. If they can play, they will show it. If Elvis is worth anything, you put him in his next turn and see if he plays better. If he can't put this behind him and re-focus, you have to question if he has the mindset to play. You look at some of these young guys that skip the ahl and play in the nhl fine. This season isn't going to be a good year so Elvis needs a few starts before you can evaluate him and decide if he can adjust. I don't mind he felt he didn't need the ahl, after this start he has to now prove he can handle the adversity and play well enough to stay here. The guys in Cleveland may not be any help and who are they going to go get now to bridge the gap until he is ready?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I see your Wennberg praise and raise you a Boone. Both have played well in the first 2 games

I thought he got really sloppy in this one. Some good plays but also other plays where he didn't have it. The guy was incredible last night (his whole line was) so I'm just going to assume they lost their legs.

Reactions: Lumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Elvis has to stay up. Who are you going to bring up, Kiv? VV was sent down for a reason. Right or wrong, I don't believe in burning out young guys. If they can play, they will show it. If Elvis is worth anything, you put him in his next turn and see if he plays better. If he can't put this behind him and re-focus, you have to question if he has the mindset to play. You look at some of these young guys that skip the ahl and play in the nhl fine. This season isn't going to be a good year so Elvis needs a few starts before you can evaluate him and decide if he can adjust. I don't mind he felt he didn't need the ahl, after this start he has to now prove he can handle the adversity and play well enough to stay here. The guys in Cleveland may not be any help and who are they going to go get now to bridge the gap until he is ready?

I don't know that much about goaltending but it looked like it was more than just a mindset issue for Elvis. He looked like he didn't know where to be in the crease tonight. I would send him down. Elvis can learn how to play in the AHL.

Call up someone that you can park on the bench, could be Kiv for all I care, and let Korpi play the next dozen games. All these posters that think Korpi just needs a starter's load should get their wish. Re-evaluate in a few weeks. If they need another goalie, trade a B prospect for DeSmith or a next generation McBackup.

Reactions: thebus88

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Feeling like I've already been on the goalie merry-go-round too long. Torts shouldve played Korpi after what he said. And wow, if Cam and PLD aint going, this is how things going to look?

yikes

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I felt bad for Elvis tonight. Poor kid played awful, and his team gave him absolutely no help. Bled chance after chance and odd man rushes against big brother. He let in at least 4-5 softies. Not your ideal NHL start. Also lol at people saying send him down, the front office completely banked on this kid pushing Korpisalo or winning the job, they're not backing off that.

Aside from Nash, Anderson, and Jenner were the only decent players tonight. Wennberg was fine as well I guess. Not one defenseman has shown anything to me, although Werenski was better.

Its hard not to overreact to the 2 games, because I thought they were OK against Toronto. But they were f***ing pitiful tonight, and the fact that PLD is already playing the "we're actually good guys, you'll see!" in the media is concerning. They have zero confidence in themselves, their goalies, and worst of all each other. Terrible game.

Bemstrom and Texier are not ready. Bemstrom should go back to Sweden immediately. Texier will likely need to go back to Cleveland at some point soon.

Death, taxes, and the CBJ losing to big brother PIT.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think the big question is whether Elvis is ready for the AHL. I saw better goaltending tonight in an ECHL exhibition game.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Sheesh.

I work at FedEx, and I had to convince myself (even though I'm desperate for the cash) to go in for a 6pm shift tonight. I made the right choice. If I had decided to forgo the extra cash to stay home and watch THAT garbage live, I'd have been furious.

I was excited to see Elvis' NHL debut. I don't want to be the guy who overreacts after someone's first ever NHL game, but Yo Soy Not Impressed. I would say that at least four of those were goals that a competent NHL-level goaltender should have stopped.

I heard many pundits say this offseason that the Blue Jackets roster was good enough to make the playoffs if they just got NHL-average goaltending. So far, it's looking like we don't have that.

I had two tickets for Monday's game against Buffalo fall into my lap this week. I have a feeling I'm going to know after this one is over whether or not I'll actually be spending money on the team this season.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don't know that much about goaltending but it looked like it was more than just a mindset issue for Elvis. He looked like he didn't know where to be in the crease tonight. I would send him down. Elvis can learn how to play in the AHL.

Call up someone that you can park on the bench, could be Kiv for all I care, and let Korpi play the next dozen games. All these posters that think Korpi just needs a starter's load should get their wish. Re-evaluate in a few weeks. If they need another goalie, trade a B prospect for DeSmith or a next generation McBackup.
I don’t think we really have much of a choice but to ride with Korpi for a while with very rare Elvis starts.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I felt bad for Elvis tonight. Poor kid played awful, and his team gave him absolutely no help. Bled chance after chance and odd man rushes against big brother. He let in at least 4-5 softies. Not your ideal NHL start. Also lol at people saying send him down, the front office completely banked on this kid pushing Korpisalo or winning the job, they're not backing off that.

Aside from Nash, Anderson, and Jenner were the only decent players tonight. Wennberg was fine as well I guess. Not one defenseman has shown anything to me, although Werenski was better.

Its hard not to overreact to the 2 games, because I thought they were OK against Toronto. But they were ****ing pitiful tonight, and the fact that PLD is already playing the "we're actually good guys, you'll see!" in the media is concerning. They have zero confidence in themselves, their goalies, and worst of all each other. Terrible game.

Bemstrom and Texier are not ready. Bemstrom should go back to Sweden immediately. Texier will likely need to go back to Cleveland at some point soon.

Death, taxes, and the CBJ losing to big brother PIT.
Who are you going to play in Columbus if we send those two away , we don’t have many NHL caliber players available.

We now bench 2 somewhat decent NHL level top 6 d men. Perhaps it’s time we trade one or even two of them for a forward who can add some scoring for us.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Who are you going to play in Columbus if we send those two away , we don’t have many NHL caliber players available.

We now bench 2 somewhat decent NHL level top 6 d men. Perhaps it’s time we trade one or even two of them for a forward who can add some scoring for us.

Well we have Milano in the press box, with Hannikainen and Robinson in the minors. While none of the last two inspire any confidence In scoring, its better than wasting away the two kids. Plus, I don’t think Texier will go down

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
This is terrible look for Elvis. Im sure the managment will give him another shot but i have to wonder, maybe him going down to AHL isnt such a bad idea. Theres no way he is this bad. Something is up and he has to fix it quick.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Given our offensive numbers these two games... Milano better be in the lineup on Monday night.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods

Pin it on whomever but you know who gets canned first. Torts will (right or wrong) be run first and maybe by the end of the calendar year. Jarmo would be offseason IF at all.
I don't see how anyone thought this group had the consistent firepower to carry it through this campaign...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad