GDT: Game 2 - CBJ (0-1-0) at PIT (0-1-0) - 5 Oct 2019, 7pm

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
The smaller surface is an issue because the angles and shot locations change. Plus there's more traffic.

The changes aren't insurmountable, but it takes time even with practices.

Reactions: Viqsi

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I'll concede the traffic, I just don't think the angles change. Just because the surface is wider, the angles really don't change, only the player could be a little farther away. For skaters I can see the difference, not so much for goalies.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
It's got a lot to do with orientation and positioning: the angle/distance from a faceoff dot, for instance, is different from NHL ice and Olympic ice.

Markings and stuff like that are landmarks for goalies to figure out where they are and where they should be.

So if a goalie is used to being in x position in the crease and y distance from the net for a shot from that area on Olympic ice, it takes time getting used to where they should be in that situation on NHL ice.

You'd think it would be just as simple as centering yourself on the puck, but even goalies who've been in the AHL for a while are still tapping the posts of the net every once in a while to make sure there positioned right. Sure, a lot of it is a habit, but they still feel the need to do it.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
That makes sence for positioning on a face off and I get what your saying. But in the middle of the action wouldn't it be better to square yourself to the shooter because he is in front of you than to look for a marker for positioning. That little bit of eye movement could mean the difference between seeing the shot or not. Anyway, it is an interesting discussion and I appreciate your explanation.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
There is a significant adjustment to a smaller ice size. Elmariachi227 explained it perfectly (played some goalie eh?). Also, not being able to track the puck is a major issue. Same number of players on a smaller ice surface makes it visually more crowded. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but goaltending is all about habits. Once the goalie's eyes adjust to having less open space, he/she will become more comfortable. I do not think it's a good idea ever for a European goalie to jump straight into the NHL. Vasilevskiy had absolutely no problem going to the AHL. Clearly things worked out ok for him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That makes sence for positioning on a face off and I get what your saying. But in the middle of the action wouldn't it be better to square yourself to the shooter because he is in front of you than to look for a marker for positioning. That little bit of eye movement could mean the difference between seeing the shot or not. Anyway, it is an interesting discussion and I appreciate your explanation.

I'm not a goalie, but the one time in men's league that I tried to fill in as goalie I couldn't keep track of where the net was behind me. I'd square myself to the shooter, but if the net was a few inches further to the right than I thought it was, it didn't matter.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm not a goalie, but the one time in men's league that I tried to fill in as goalie I couldn't keep track of where the net was behind me. I'd square myself to the shooter, but if the net was a few inches further to the right than I thought it was, it didn't matter.

The one time I was goalie, I demanded that the best players on my team hold on to the puck and never let go of it:laugh:

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
Yes: it's not just squaring up to the shot, you have to make sure you're covering the right angle to cut off the net. If you're a step to the left or angled a bit too much, you're leaving the net wide open.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Maybe its not so much the size of the ice or the lines on the ice, but actually the speed and quality of shooters and shots...

Impact on Merzlikins: NHL quality shooters >> NHL sized ice

Quality of goaltender: Korpisalo >> Merzlikins

Reactions: Monstershockey

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If the things you guys are describing, are the issues Merlikins is actually having, he's worse than I think...

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
To be honest I never thought the goalies used markers on the ice like face off dots. I thought that is what the crease was for. As long as you were inside the lines on the side, that is where the posts are. I don't think Elvis or Columbus said the ice size was the issue, I think that has been us speculating. I do think this is a good discussion. We usually get to meet with the Monsters a couple times a year so I hope I can remember to ask one of the goalies about this.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To be honest I never thought the goalies used markers on the ice like face off dots. I thought that is what the crease was for. As long as you were inside the lines on the side, that is where the posts are.

You can't see the crease unless you're standing way back inside it, so knowing where the net is becomes an issue when a goalie steps out to cut down the angle on a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad