Post-Game Talk: Game #2 CAPITALS vs penguins @3PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
We'll, that was fun. They slumped right up until the goal review, then played an actual effective turtle to finish it out. That video review was the turning point.

Now go take games 3&4 in wretched Pittsburgh.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Demand more out of your practices. Get more from your players and it won't be so damn hard to find it when it matters. You practice how you play, how do you not see that?

They make poor passes because the urgency isn't there as a unit. If your passing is crisp, and your decisions are simple to make, you create more time and space for the player receiving the puck to make his reads. Every time Carlson or Niskanen bank a pass that has just enough speed to get there before a forechecker, they put their partner in a tough position that they never needed to be in.

You can coach that out. It isn't being coached out, coincidentally, because as people have been saying in this thread and others, time after time, the Capitals don't practice puck movement very comprehensively.

Give credit to the other team for seizing on what you're giving them, but that doesn't change the fact that you need to look for any and all areas of improvement in your team's play. The Capitals don't address and minimize those specific windows. They ought to call them "good enough" passes because you can practically see it in the body language of the passer, and they're just not being hammered out of anyone's game the way they should be if you want to win in the playoffs. The Capitals create 50/50 pucks for themselves constantly.
Lmao. We beat the Pens 4-1 and you have nothing positive to say about the team. There are a lot of very pessimistic fans on this board. If you guys are even really fans.
Guys predicting a blowout loss and Holtby getting pulled after 4 weak goals. The team played well. Holtby played great. Probably the first star if the game.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Lmao. We beat the Pens 4-1 and you have nothing positive to say about the team. There are a lot of very pessimistic fans on this board. If you guys are even really fans.
Guys predicting a blowout loss and Holtby getting pulled after 4 weak goals. The team played well. Holtby played great. Probably the first star if the game.

So you have nothing better to say.

I predicted no loss, I've said nothing critical about their performance tonight to the best of my knowledge. I am critical, overall, of this element of their game because it stares us in the face, year after year.

You can't even come up with an excuse for it, but you're not willing to admit that it's an issue at all, either. As far as I can tell you refuse to even validate the opinion, instead you'd rather insinuate that I'm less of a fan, somehow? Garbage-tier anti-intellectual runarounds for days.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
This may be our year. A goal review went our way. I saw some white between the puck and line on that goal review. Maybe it was NBC doing their own zoom and Toronto didn't see that frame.

I have never seen a guy get presumed concussed from a player behind him, by just slamming on the brakes. Malachi crunch! What a play by Willy and Ovi, 2 of the last guys I would want to get caught by.

The rare Caps -1.5 under parlay comes in.

Off to the shit hole we call shitsburgh.

The original Crunchette, Pinky.
pinky.png

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So you have nothing better to say.

I predicted no loss, I've said nothing critical about their performance tonight to the best of my knowledge. I am critical, overall, of this element of their game because it stares us in the face, year after year.

You can't even come up with an excuse for it, but you're not willing to admit that it's an issue at all, either. As far as I can tell you refuse to even validate the opinion, instead you'd rather insinuate that I'm less of a fan, somehow? Garbage-tier anti-intellectual runarounds for days.
I'm saying we played well enough to beat the reigning Stanley Cup champs 4-1 and you have nothing positive to say. All you do is rip Trotz
Well OK. I guess its Trotzs fault that we beat the Pens 4-1. Wtf more do you want?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I'm saying we played well enough to beat the reigning Stanley Cup champs 4-1 and you have nothing positive to say. All you do is rip Trotz
Well OK. I guess its Trotzs fault that we beat the Pens 4-1. Wtf more do you want?

I think it's the fact that you take it so personally that makes me wonder how you're related to him.

You've been arguing against the fanatic you think I am instead of the content of my posts this entire time. So for what I want, I think that's where I'll start. I want you to address the content of the posts with a little basic decency and respect for other peoples' opinions, as though they might have insights worth valuing. Agree or disagree, you're in no position to question the fanhood of anyone who identifies enough as a Washington Capitals fan to post on this bizarre little message board.

I'm not of a mind to idly post things like "good play, well done". It's a waste of time and space, and I see no reason to rack up thousands of posts devoid of any real substance or context.

When it's a player problem, I don't feel like I've been dishonest in evaluating that. When Orlov was bungling things left, right, and center, did you hear me in here saying that Barry Trotz was responsible, that such a lauded defensive coach should absolutely be capable of more than this, and that he was a failure for not teaching Orlov better? Nope. I said Orlov needed to get his **** together because he should be better than that.

Grubauer? Accountable. Holtby? Praised, then criticized, but mostly praised. Connolly? Up and down, I've gone to bat for him and then had to heap on the next day. All these guys were making mistakes that had nothing to do with systems or a team philosophy.

When everyone on the team is doing something I don't like, should I assume that they've all contracted fumblitis? When people come back from Kettler and say, point blank, "it doesn't seem like we practice passing nearly enough", and it seems to be the case year after year, should I assume that decision is on the players? The captain? Who should I point to when asking why this is our philosophy on puck movement in a league dictated by speed and control?

Why is Trotz immune to any and all criticisms, even valid ones, just because you think some others haven't been? Why do you think that these aren't problems when you can go all the way back to his Nashville days and watch essentially the same story?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think it's the fact that you take it so personally that makes me wonder how you're related to him.

You've been arguing against the fanatic you think I am instead of the content of my posts this entire time. So for what I want, I think that's where I'll start. I want you to address the content of the posts with a little basic decency and respect for other peoples' opinions, as though they might have insights worth valuing. Agree or disagree, you're in no position to question the fanhood of anyone who identifies enough as a Washington Capitals fan to post on this bizarre little message board.

I'm not of a mind to idly post things like "good play, well done". It's a waste of time and space, and I see no reason to rack up thousands of posts devoid of any real substance or context.

When it's a player problem, I don't feel like I've been dishonest in evaluating that. When Orlov was bungling things left, right, and center, did you hear me in here saying that Barry Trotz was responsible, that such a lauded defensive coach should absolutely be capable of more than this, and that he was a failure for not teaching Orlov better? Nope. I said Orlov needed to get his **** together because he should be better than that.

Grubauer? Accountable. Holtby? Praised, then criticized, but mostly praised. Connolly? Up and down, I've gone to bat for him and then had to heap on the next day. All these guys were making mistakes that had nothing to do with systems or a team philosophy.

When everyone on the team is doing something I don't like, should I assume that they've all contracted fumblitis? When people come back from Kettler and say, point blank, "it doesn't seem like we practice passing nearly enough", and it seems to be the case year after year, should I assume that decision is on the players? The captain? Who should I point to when asking why this is our philosophy on puck movement in a league dictated by speed and control?

Why is Trotz immune to any and all criticisms, even valid ones, just because you think some others haven't been? Why do you think that these aren't problems when you can go all the way back to his Nashville days and watch essentially the same story?
Trotz isn't immune to criticism. I'm sure he makes plenty of mistakes. I don't like all of his decisions myself. You constantly rip him with no evidence. Every poor decision made during a game is Trotzs fault. Im not saying Trotz is the guy to get us a cup. I really don't know if he is or not. I'm not sure any coach could take this team to the next level. I really don't understand the hate for him. Even after this team has overachieved this season you still dump on him. I don't get it.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Trotz isn't immune to criticism. I'm sure he makes plenty of mistakes. I don't like all of his decisions myself. You constantly rip him with no evidence. Every poor decision made during a game is Trotzs fault. Im not saying Trotz is the guy to get us a cup. I really don't know if he is or not. I'm not sure any coach could take this team to the next level. I really don't understand the hate for him. Even after this team has overachieved this season you still dump on him. I don't get it.

How? You clearly didn't even read my post (again) since I specifically addressed the ways in which I didn't do this.

Define evidence, too. Am I in the rooms listening to Trotz' second period speeches? No. Can you infer that after a few years of watching his gameplanning, he tends to run a conservative and reactive third period approach when in the lead? Yup.

Has it burned them time after time when trying to close out playoff games, leading to an absolutely insane amount of OT playoff games during his tenure and ultimately a coin flip record for the otherwise most dominant team of the past few seasons?

You know it.

When he appears to be the problem, I can't help that, I can only voice my opinion on it. He isn't always, and if you were honest about that it would really help you deal with whatever hangups you have about my noting the times in which he appears to be.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
How? You clearly didn't even read my post (again) since I specifically addressed the ways in which I didn't do this.

Define evidence, too. Am I in the rooms listening to Trotz' second period speeches? No. Can you infer that after a few years of watching his gameplanning, he tends to run a conservative and reactive third period approach when in the lead? Yup.

Has it burned them time after time when trying to close out playoff games, leading to an absolutely insane amount of OT playoff games during his tenure and ultimately a coin flip record for the otherwise most dominant team of the past few seasons?

You know it.

When he appears to be the problem, I can't help that, I can only voice my opinion on it. He isn't always, and if you were honest about that it would really help you deal with whatever hangups you have about my noting the times in which he appears to be.
You can only voice your opinion? Fair enough. But its your opinion its not fact. I'm fine with that. My opinion is that I really don't know if Trotz is the guy or not to take us to the next level. If we don't do it this year I'm sure we will find out if another coach is the best option. I don't think Trotz returns after this season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kuz seemed in a lot of pain, the entire time he was in the box. That one hand clear by Oshie was something new. Countered by Dumo and Gentz who has a RT shoulder for sure. He got pounded like mallard duck a few times.

I thought Orpik had a strong game... ok maybe just some nice hits. I was going to point out a mistake by Vrana right before he scored. The goal cancelled a scratch.

Chiasson 60:1 to win the Druce Award

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

My post was a joke/reverse jinx. I’m one of the least negative posters on here.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
My post was a joke/reverse jinx. I’m one of the least negative posters on here.
Ya I figured that was a joke. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of pessimistic fans here. Even when the Caps play a good game against a good team a lot of people here are still negative vtowards the team.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad