Post-Game Talk: Game #2 CAPITALS vs penguins @3PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Well two things are certain

1) We're gonna get smoked harder than a crack rock in Harlem by the Malkin returning Pens Tuesday night at home

2) We're probably gonna lose game 7 if it goes that far

So they have to rattle off three in a row after the next game

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Hell of a performance today. Shut me right up. Tbh, they’re dominating this series.

They need to operate under the assumption that they need 3 plus goals every game

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
These guys should how to make a pass and receive a pass. The mistakes they are making are mental mistakes. Poor decisions.

Why don't you pull your arrogant head out and start reading posts with the possibility in your mind that everyone around you isn't a simpleton?

Making and receiving passes are hockey fundamentals. Making quick, crisp decisions in the face of high pressure forechecking is an NHL fundamental. The team should not need coaching in the former (but nobody's saying that anyway), and does not appear to be adequately coached in the latter, an opinion based on observations of practices and results in game. You can cultivate better decision making in these moments with the right drills and effort level in practice, a fact I'm sure you're well aware of as the boards' resident expert on all things coaching.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hell of a performance today. Shut me right up. Tbh, they’re dominating this series.

They need to operate under the assumption that they need 3 plus goals every game
They don't need to think anything like that. You cant play a run and gun style with the Pens. That's their game.

Last edited:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
A win is a win and they were extraordinary in the first period. Up to Connolly's goal. But they were checked out after that. And that's what kills me about Trotz. As soon as we have a lead he calls off the dogs. He still hasn't learned that's not how you beat the Pens.

I thought Ovi was our best forward today. Also, Stephenson had so many chances today. Dude needs to start burying some of those. That's why I wanna see Vrana tried there. He shoots, and has a better shot. That 2nd line is completely inept at shooting the damn puck.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Pens really need Malkin to be successful, especially on the PP, I am so bummed they didn't win game one. Malkin coming back in game three will be HUGE.

Chaisson needs to sit for Gersich, have a kids on the wings line with Beagle. All of Chaisson's numbers are really bad, the entire bottom line really, but at least Vrana scored when he got out there for a partial shift with Eller.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Why don't you pull your arrogant head out and start reading posts with the possibility in your mind that everyone around you isn't a simpleton?

Making and receiving passes are hockey fundamentals. Making quick, crisp decisions in the face of high pressure forechecking is an NHL fundamental. The team should not need coaching in the former (but nobody's saying that anyway), and does not appear to be adequately coached in the latter, an opinion based on observations of practices and results in game. You can cultivate better decision making in these moments with the right drills and effort level in practice, a fact I'm sure you're well aware of as the boards' resident expert on all things coaching.
Like I said its the decision making. Hard to blame that on coaching. I guarantee they work on their breakouts in practice. Its not the same in practice. Game speed is a lot quicker than practice.
I like how we win the game 4-1 yet most people here are still negative. Do you guys realize there is another team on the ice? A good team I might add. Yes there are mistakes made every game but you have to give your opponent credit at times. Mist poor passes are made because they were forced to make a quick play. You guys think its so easy.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
A win is a win and they were extraordinary in the first period. Up to Connolly's goal. But they were checked out after that. And that's what kills me about Trotz. As soon as we have a lead he calls off the dogs. He still hasn't learned that's not how you beat the Pens.

I thought Ovi was our best forward today. Also, Stephenson had so many chances today. Dude needs to start burying some of those. That's why I wanna see Vrana tried there. He shoots, and has a better shot. That 2nd line is completely inept at shooting the damn puck.
Stephenson was put on the 2nd line more for defensive reasons than offensive. If they can shutdown the Crosby line I'm fine with that. Stephenson is a better and smarter player than Vrana right now. I do like Vrana skill though.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Hmmm...nice win. :)

Outworked the Pens and were the better team.

Nice to have a few video reviews go the Caps way, for once. *Shock*

Stupid announcers were going on and on about the Caps going high glove on Murray. That and Emerick saying that historically video reviews go against the Caps in the playoffs. Very odd comment, IMHO.

Anyway, they will need an even better effort on the road.

Hope Malkinstein’s knee is still wonky from his slew foot.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Like I said its the decision making. Hard to blame that on coaching. I guarantee they work on their breakouts in practice. Its not the same in practice. Game speed is a lot quicker than practice.
I like how we win the game 4-1 yet most people here are still negative. Do you guys realize there is another team on the ice? A good team I might add. Yes there are mistakes made every game but you have to give your opponent credit at times. Mist poor passes are made because they were forced to make a quick play. You guys think its so easy.

Demand more out of your practices. Get more from your players and it won't be so damn hard to find it when it matters. You practice how you play, how do you not see that?

They make poor passes because the urgency isn't there as a unit. If your passing is crisp, and your decisions are simple to make, you create more time and space for the player receiving the puck to make his reads. Every time Carlson or Niskanen bank a pass that has just enough speed to get there before a forechecker, they put their partner in a tough position that they never needed to be in.

You can coach that out. It isn't being coached out, coincidentally, because as people have been saying in this thread and others, time after time, the Capitals don't practice puck movement very comprehensively.

Give credit to the other team for seizing on what you're giving them, but that doesn't change the fact that you need to look for any and all areas of improvement in your team's play. The Capitals don't address and minimize those specific windows. They ought to call them "good enough" passes because you can practically see it in the body language of the passer, and they're just not being hammered out of anyone's game the way they should be if you want to win in the playoffs. The Capitals create 50/50 pucks for themselves constantly.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

I was honestly hoping for a Caps blowout first two games, maybe they'll get those in Pittsburgh. Pens are giving up way to many quality chances. If not for Murray in Game 1, this wouldn't be a tied series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad