GDT: Game 2: Avalanche @ Flames 8:30pm MT - A GAME OF ICE & FIRE

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I may be misremembering this because of the booze but does anyone else recall Tkachuk going for a reverse hit on Z later in the game and Z just rolled right over him like a snowplow?

That was pretty great
It happened multiple times. He tried it on Girard, too, after successfully doing it to him in game 1 and this time behind the net, Girard just moved out of the way while Tkachuk fell on his ass. I got a laugh out of that because the first thing Tkachuk did is put his arms up looking at the ref to ask why there wasn't a penalty of some sort.

Reactions: MacBradley

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Beat them like a rented mule again, 69-31% ES possessions. Keep it going in Colorado. Nate should have a field day not facing Backlund.

Need to grab the series by the throat and win game #3.
Not even worried about Backlund in the slightest. MacKinnon made him his ***** last night, there was absolutely nothing Backlund could do to contain him and that wasn't even a dominating game from MacK.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
So it seems that the boston-toronto game was similar to ours in that refs werent calling certain things they needed to. I understand its playoff hockey but that elbow cole got to his head and the check from behind brassard got that put him into his own net, the cheap shot bennet did to Girard, mack getting shoved around when he didnt even follow through to the goalie....its pretty ridiculous and leads me to believe they call things a certain way for a reason.

Can tape of this stuff be submitted for review?

I give props to our guys because i would have a very hard time not retaliating

On a side note it seems like there were a lot of pissed off wives....these late starts are not good for marriages lol

If only there was someone on teams who could, oh I don’t know, enforce some level of law & order amongst the players...:badidea:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Commentator said last night that after Cole was cut from the Bennett hit, he didn't want the trainer to work on it because it would mean that he would have to miss a shift. What a warrior!

That doesn't surprise me at all. Cole is crazy tough.

He can still drive you crazy though. He almost lost the game for a second time in OT with that turnover like 5 seconds before MacKinnon's goal. He then also made the outlet pass to Rantanen to help on the winner.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm really proud of the Avs for not getting overly involved with the after-the-whistle scrum BS that the Flames are pulling. They're doing everything they can to get the Avs off their game, and they're staying strong and not retaliating. Focus on what happens between the whistles.

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
The whole "let them play" thing in hockey is a totally innaccurate statement, because the players don't have a clear idea of what is a penalty and what isn't. It actually puts the game MORE in the hands of the ref when players can break the rules and go for some really dangerous plays all game, until suddenly they go to the box for some relatively soft call out of nowhere. That's why both teams seemed so shocked when getting calls.

They just let players cross check 10 guys hard into the ice, take jump flying headshots, and take brutal slashes, but then call the world's softest holding/tripping/ect?

The league might as well do away with refs and should just flip a coin 2 times a period to see who gets pre-allocated Power Play time.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The whole "let them play" thing in hockey is a totally innaccurate statement, because the players don't have a clear idea of what is a penalty and what isn't. It actually puts the game MORE in the hands of the ref when players can break the rules and go for some really dangerous plays all game, until suddenly they go to the box for some relatively soft call out of nowhere. That's why both teams seemed so shocked when getting calls.

They just let players cross check 10 guys hard into the ice, take jump flying headshots, and take brutal slashes, but then call the world's softest holding/tripping/ect?

The league might as well do away with refs and should just flip a coin 2 times a period to see who gets pre-allocated Power Play time.

Very well said. It's indeed big problem.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Amazing win, I was jumping up and down and probably woke everyone around me that way than yelling like some of you lot.

Besides some dumb plays by Cole, I thought he was one again a total rock back there. Looking at Penguins and what's happening to them they clearly need someone like Ian in their current bout with the Islanders (even with some of the stupid plays he brings).

Surprised to see a lot of pro-Zadorov here, you lot know I am pretty big fan of him, but he's playing way too casual for my liking these past two games. If it wasn't for Girard's unknown injury I would want Makar over him if we decide not to play seven defenders. Which is bit odd because he had so much swagger against the Predators series. I get it that he might be playing banged up with some shoulder issues, but he's playing a bit too slow in all areas of the pitch for me.

he whole "let them play" thing in hockey is a totally innaccurate statement, because the players don't have a clear idea of what is a penalty and what isn't.
That concept is why and how we get make up calls all the time - absolute worst aspect when it comes to penalties in hockey.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Surprised to see a lot of pro-Zadorov here, you lot know I am pretty big fan of him, but he's playing way too casual for my liking these past two games. If it wasn't for Girard's unknown injury I would want Makar over him if we decide not to play seven defenders. Which is bit odd because he had so much swagger against the Predators series. I get it that he might be playing banged up with some shoulder issues, but he's playing a bit too slow in all areas of the pitch for me.
I thought Zadorov had a fine game, better than he did in game 1. He set the tone right from the get-go on Tkachuk, and was on him all night long any chance he could lay a hit on him. He again made some bonehead plays like icing the puck after a fantastic defensive play, or letting Sean Monahan get free on the 2-1 goal, but I would not want him coming out of the lineup.

He's not the end-all-be-all to this team but the record of this Avs club when Zadorov is out of the lineup, to me, is no coincidence. He's a presence out there, and other teams know it.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I thought Zadorov had a fine game, better than he did in game 1. He set the tone right from the get-go on Tkachuk, and was on him all night long any chance he could lay a hit on him. He again made some bonehead plays like icing the puck after a fantastic defensive play, or letting Sean Monahan get free on the 2-1 goal, but I would not want him coming out of the lineup.

He's not the end-all-be-all to this team but the record of this Avs club when Zadorov is out of the lineup, to me, is no coincidence. He's a presence out there, and other teams know it.

Despite some goofs I think Z has been our 2nd best D in the series behind Girard. Seems like Z is made for playoffs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Can't disagree with that, just wish he would process the play a bit faster. He's always been slow so this isn't new, but not as slow as he's played in this series IMHO.

Despite some goofs I think Z has been our 2nd best D in the series behind Girard. Seems like Z is made for playoffs.
For me it is...
1. Girard
2A. Cole
2B. Barrie
4. Nemeth (has been surprisingly good)
5. Zadorov
6. EJ

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Can't disagree with that, just wish he would process the play a bit faster. He's always been slow so this isn't new, but not as slow as he's played in this series IMHO.

For me it is...
1. Girard
2A. Cole
2B. Barrie
4. Nemeth (has been surprisingly good)
5. Zadorov
6. EJ

I personally think Barrie has been a bit quiet so far, might get better at home, but he hasn't been bad either.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Considering the avs were the most penalized team in the nhl, it’s probably to their benefit that the refs aren’t calling anything. Kerfoot constantly slashing people in the hands when he loses position is so aggravating and coles constant cross checking makes me so anxious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad