GDT: Game 2: Avalanche @ Flames 8:30pm MT - A GAME OF ICE & FIRE

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Bednar's trust in Jost, if there was any, just went right out the window in the playoffs. Plays 6 minutes in a 68 minute game?

It's a disadvantage to not have four lines we can trust.

We deserved todays win. 1-1 after two and now we have the home ice advantage. Awesome.
And Jost isn't even playing badly. I take him over Brassard every day. He's just not a guy who can produce no matter who's on his wing.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Fantastic win last night. The Avalanche raised their level of play to playoff intensity. Every player worked their hardest to take away Calgary's time and space. Every puck battle and most importantly, battles and coverage AWAY from the puck was physical and Colorado did not back down in any of them. Colorado's team speed was on display last night. They are a faster team than Calgary and as a result had better puck movement and time of possession. Good "adjustment" Bednar even if it really wasn't a system adjustment and more a matter of bringing your best game to the table.

I haven't seen the location charts but it still appeared that too many of Colorado's shots were taken from outside the dots in the offensive zone. Rebound opportunities were rare and Compher's goal looked to be one where he was inside the house (slot) and getting to a loose puck. Well done.

Colorado's power play needs adjustment. Repeatedly slapping the puck from the outside from a mostly stationary formation does not work against a tight and collapsing style of PK. Shots occasionally get through but there aren't any rebounds. Montgomery uses a cycling umbrella (don't know what else to call it) formation where the top guys are not just making direct passes but actually skating with the puck, exchanging positions and drop passing to one another. Saw Mac, Gabe and Barrie try that a couple of times and it seemed to offer some potential.

The key to Smith (IMO anyways), is to get him over extending himself (athletically) in net and make him try to do too much. As long as he stays tight and square to the shooter and there aren't rebounds, he'll play strong. That's what Calgary's lumberjack defense is for. Keep Smith from having to make multiple saves. When he has to move to that mode, then his tendency is to lunge forward and end up on his belly. Get him to go down and you'll get the puck over his outstretched glove every time.

Calgary's main weapon is physical intimidation. That only works as long as their opponent cowers from them. Once a team stands up like the Avs did last night, Calgary shows they don't have much else in their bag.

Pretty stoked about last nights win!

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Brassard making the exact same face every time he gets called for a penalty is quite irritating.
That trip he got called for was garbage though. The flames player just lost an edge. He had a right to be mad there. But I'll say for a veteran player he needs to make smarter plays with the puck.

Reactions: MacBradley

R2daV

Apr 8, 2018
So guys with medical knowledge
Can Girard play through a separated shoulder and just have surgery or fully heal after the series? Not that I want him to but I wonder if it's dangerous or just painful.
He likely won't be able to play of it's a dislocation. He can wear a shoulder brace that will compress the shoulder bit he would still be in a lot of pain with arm movements.
If it's a subluxation then he will be back quicker but would still miss a few games likely

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
He likely won't be able to play of it's a dislocation. He can wear a shoulder brace that will compress the shoulder bit he would still be in a lot of pain with arm movements.
If it's a subluxation then he will be back quicker but would still miss a few games likely
So if it is subluxation than is it risking more damage if he wanted to play?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Can Girard play through a separated shoulder and just have surgery or fully heal after the series? Not that I want him to but I wonder if it's dangerous or just painful.

If separated he may try to play through it but ideally would have surgery and shut it down because he’s not going to be effective, they’ll target it like crazy, and it may cause more long term problems if he takes further injury to the shoulder.

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
Yes and no. It depends on how it separated and potential damage. I played about 10 games as a goalie with a separated shoulder, it was my catch glove so somrtimes it hurt as hel. I wouldnt do it again but i was Young and stupid ✌️

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
So it seems that the boston-toronto game was similar to ours in that refs werent calling certain things they needed to. I understand its playoff hockey but that elbow cole got to his head and the check from behind brassard got that put him into his own net, the cheap shot bennet did to Girard, mack getting shoved around when he didnt even follow through to the goalie....its pretty ridiculous and leads me to believe they call things a certain way for a reason.

Can tape of this stuff be submitted for review?

I give props to our guys because i would have a very hard time not retaliating

On a side note it seems like there were a lot of pissed off wives....these late starts are not good for marriages lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad