GDT: Game 2 - (4)Boston Bruins vs (5) Toronto Maple Leafs - 7PM - CBC, RDS, NESN II

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
You're right, but the point is the Leafs had a whopping 6 more PIM than the Bruins this game while accumulating 26 more last game. Blaming the refs is a huge cop out IMO.

Two misconducts will do that. It's not like the refs called 13 minors on the Leafs in game 1. Try looking beyond the box score. The officiating was indeed awful last night, with Chara getting called for the exact same thing the Leafs did to Horton on multiple occasions. The Leafs were interfering all over the place last night, and only Chara got called for it.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Chara has def looked off this year in comparison to year's past, i noticed it with that blatant call he took after nailing Kadri despite the puck being passed a little bit before

That's a real bonehead move from a player of his caliber

I don't think it was that boneheaded Horton got laid out three times and Lucic once when they didn't have the puck-I can see him thinking refs were giving lots of leeway on interference.

Apparently the leafs are the only team getting leeway-they even got free head shots.

GodTukka*

I don't think it was that boneheaded Horton got laid out three times and Lucic once when they didn't have the puck-I can see him thinking refs were giving lots of leeway on interference.

Apparently the leafs are the only team getting leeway-they even got free head shots.

Perhaps.

I still am not gonna blame the refs for this loss, crappy defensive breakdowns and lack of finish did them in.

Also, why in god's name is Jagr playing on a grind line? He's too slow to keep up with them, he needs to be on a line with a guy who can bring the puck in for him and let Jagr finish it.

#Claudelogic strikes again

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
When the bruins lose blame the refs.. seems reasonable

Refs didn't make the defense play like junk or our third line look awful.

Refs still stunk and ignored all sorts of penalties in the Bruins favor. I think you can argue that the refs still sucked.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I never blame the officiating but the refs were blatantly one-sided last nite.

Once again the B's don't have a 3rd line. Peverly did not generate a lick of offense last nite. Jagr looks as if the flu is still lingering, Kelly is Kelly, good defensively not much offensively. We need "The Cage" version of Kelly right about now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m sorry, been reading far too much about the refs here, and while I agree, there were more than a few calls that "should" have been made, how about this fans, how about each and every one of ya who keep pointing fingers at the refs have a good hard look at the game itself.

Game 1, B`s won virtually every puck race/battle, kept their feet moving, cut off passing lanes, and in general, made life difficult for the Leafs and played 60 mins

Game 2- after an embarrassing effort in game 1, EVERY fan here should have known the Leafs would be better, hard not to be, they were, they created chances for themselves and our boys didn`t bring the same intensity, and couldn`t match the Leafs.

Too many here think/thought/predicted this one would be done in a heartbeat after game 1, problem is, this team hasn`t played with consistency and although I believe if they brought the game 1 effort every game it would be a quick series, I, and I`m sure most here would admit, this teams biggest issue all season was consistent game to game effort, so not totally surprised at last night`s game.

Leafs played well, the B`s gave them too many odd man chances and they cashed in, the B`s didn`t, case closed, stop with the refs are to blame BS, this is hockey, the Leafs outplayed our boys, not by a ton, but enough to win.

Ebb and flows of playoff hockey, take a breather, gain some perspective, just a suggestion to help restore some of the insanity I am reading here

And honestly, does anyone here feel comforted if the Leafs had been on the PK more??? This teams PP has been the running joke for years now

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I never blame the officiating but the refs were blatantly one-sided last nite.

Once again the B's don't have a 3rd line. Peverly did not generate a lick of offense last nite. Jagr looks as if the flu is still lingering, Kelly is Kelly, good defensively not much offensively. We need "The Cage" version of Kelly right about now.

Jagr is being misused on that line.

It looked better with Dogman because Dogman IMO was better along the boards and back checked better.

I would kind of like to see them try Soderberg but I can see Claude going back to what worked in game one.

Pevs contributed almost nothing to make that line better.

Julien will continue to misuse Jagr on that line, because he isn't going to bust up his top two lines. I might be tempted to flip flop Seguin and Jagr-not as punishment to Seguin but to try and get both line scoring (Seguin and Kelly have played well and Jagr and Marchand had some nice chemistry until Marchand got nailed).

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Game 2- after an embarrassing effort in game 1, EVERY fan here should have known the Leafs would be better, hard not to be, they were, they created chances for themselves and our boys didn`t bring the same intensity, and couldn`t match the Leafs.

Anyone surprise that the Bruins lay an egg in game 2?. They are an inconsistent bunch since the beginning of the season and i'm not sure why some people though that the playoffs would be the "magic wand" who would solve that problem. This team is still the same one who had an hard time finish the season on a positive note and last night was a clear reminder of the work who await Chiarelli at the end of the season.

Last edited:

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
I agree with everything you just posted, ODAAT. Game One the B's were skating hard, first to the puck and clogging the NZ. Game Two, Toronto brought the same effort. Puck possession = scoring opportunities. Thus the series is tied.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Anyone surprise that the Bruins lay an egg in game 2?. They are an inconsistent bunch since the beginning of the season and i'm not sure why some people though that the playoffs would be the "magic wand" who would solve that problem. This team is still the same one who had an hard time finish the season on a psotive note and last night was a clear reminder of the work who need to be done by Chiarelli at the end of the season.

Yep, as I opined, IF they actually played the way they did in game 1 the whole series, this thing would be over in a heartbeat, but they have played like this all season.

Leafs are a resilient bunch under Carlyle, and once some fans forget about the previous 8 seasons of Leafs hockey and come to grips that they are a more competitive team will find it easier to accept this one won`t be easy.

Last night was about as good as the Leafs can play, the bar isn`t set super high, this team needs to regain it`s focus, play a solid road game and bring that home ice back. I`ll be honest, I like their game better on the road, far more simple, they just try and be far too fancy on home ice too often

Young Leafs will come out so pumped for the 1st game at the ACC that the first 10 mins is actually an ideal time for the B`s to pounce on mistakes

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree with everything you just posted, ODAAT. Game One the B's were skating hard, first to the puck and clogging the NZ. Game Two, Toronto brought the same effort. Puck possession = scoring opportunities. Thus the series is tied.

Yep, I have no issues pointing fingers at the refs when they make a ticky tacky late call that has the potential on the outcome of a game. Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many here sounding like bitter Hab/Canuck fans with the blame the ref crud.

We lost, they won, and they deserved it, get over it

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Jagr is being misused on that line.

It looked better with Dogman because Dogman IMO was better along the boards and back checked better.

I would kind of like to see them try Soderberg but I can see Claude going back to what worked in game one.

Pevs contributed almost nothing to make that line better.

Julien will continue to misuse Jagr on that line, because he isn't going to bust up his top two lines. I might be tempted to flip flop Seguin and Jagr-not as punishment to Seguin but to try and get both line scoring (Seguin and Kelly have played well and Jagr and Marchand had some nice chemistry until Marchand got nailed).

Sorry, problem I see with Jagr, on any line at this stage of his career is he isn`t as quick as he used to be, not that he was Ovechkin quick but...I`d like to see Jagr get a little selfish and take more shots, too many times he`s been looking to pass first

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Yep, as I opined, IF they actually played the way they did in game 1 the whole series, this thing would be over in a heartbeat, but they have played like this all season.

Leafs are a resilient bunch under Carlyle, and once some fans forget about the previous 8 seasons of Leafs hockey and come to grips that they are a more competitive team will find it easier to accept this one won`t be easy.

Last night was about as good as the Leafs can play, the bar isn`t set super high, this team needs to regain it`s focus, play a solid road game and bring that home ice back. I`ll be honest, I like their game better on the road, far more simple, they just try and be far too fancy on home ice too often

Young Leafs will come out so pumped for the 1st game at the ACC that the first 10 mins is actually an ideal time for the B`s to pounce on mistakes

It kill me to say this but the it would extremely beneficial for the Bruins they become a "one dand done" thing. Look at this comment from old friend #46:

@TheBruinsBlog
Bruins David Krejci:"I think we played a good game, but I don’t think we played our best game."

This exactly what is wrong with this club. They always have the "good line" to answer a question. What the hell he's talking about??? Played a good game?? They lost. It's not like the Bruins dominated 55 min of the game. There's too many people who feel confortable/good about themselves after a loss. Boucher said that when you play against the Bruins, you play against a "culture". I think it's time to change the culture...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It kill me to say this but the it would extremely beneficial for the Bruins they become a "one dand done" thing. Look at this comment from old friend #46:

@TheBruinsBlog
Bruins David Krejci:"I think we played a good game, but I don’t think we played our best game."

This exactly what is wrong with this club. They always have the "good line" to answer a question. What the hell he's talking about??? Played a good game?? They lost. It's not like the Bruins dominated 55 min of the game. There's too many people who feel confortable/good about themselves after a loss. Boucher said that when you play against the Bruins, you play against a "culture". I think it's time to change the culture...

You know my feelings about this kinda stuff;)

Boychuk said the same, I would say they didn`t play awful, they had their chances, but their adherence to the same system that allowed them to dominate much of game 1, seemed to be forgotten after a few days off. Hey David, I`ll confirm it for ya YOU DIDN`T PLAY YOUR BEST GAME:)

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

@TheBruinsBlog

That IMO isn't worth nitpicking.

It is a standard media answer after a loss.

Also Krejci did play a good game-the defense sucked and the third line was once again a black hole (no offense and a defensive liability).

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
On the JVR goal, JVR unintentionally kicked Rask's stick out before he scored. Could that have been called goalie interference and no goal? Or because it was unintentional it doesn't apply?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
On the JVR goal, JVR unintentionally kicked Rask's stick out before he scored. Could that have been called goalie interference and no goal? Or because it was unintentional it doesn't apply?

I "believe" if it`s inadvertent it doesn`t apply but I`m a rule breaker so not sure;)

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I think that's a ref discretion call: refs could allow the goal, disallow it and call a penalty or disallow and not call a penalty. Refs probably didn't notice if it was just the stick.

I remember Bergeron getting a goal taken away in the regular season because the goalies stick got tied up by the defense although the refs thought it was Bergeron. No penalty and no goal.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick

@TheBruinsBlog

In all fairness the Krejci line did play a good game. The Defense laid an egg. The third line looked terrible last night. Jagr at least could hold on to the puck, the other 2 I have no idea what they were doing. If their goal was to give me a stroke they almost succeeded.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
Julien was out coached by Caryle last night and Julien spending to much time trying to match lines and get Chara out against Kessel took the life out of the team.

If the Bruins roll 4 lines and get the cycle game going the Leafs won't touch the puck and the Bruins will dominate the game.

They have to win game 4 or they will have they're backs against the wall big time....

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
That IMO isn't worth nitpicking.

It is a standard media answer after a loss.

Also Krejci did play a good game-the defense sucked and the third line was once again a black hole (no offense and a defensive liability).

Agreed. I don't understand people getting their knickers in a twist when players read from the Sports Cliche Handbook.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
The Leafs played extremely hard and deserved this game. I think the Bs got a little complacent after they dominated game 1. Certainly no excuse but I think they did.

I also think Claude has to stop worrying about what Toronto is doing and start worrying about what the Bruins are doing. The Bruins better show up with a much better effort on Monday.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Julien was out coached by Caryle last night and Julien spending to much time trying to match lines and get Chara out against Kessel took the life out of the team.

If the Bruins roll 4 lines and get the cycle game going the Leafs won't touch the puck and the Bruins will dominate the game.

They have to win game 4 or they will have they're backs against the wall big time....

Totally get the Z vs Kessel matchup, I wasn`t paying super attention to it but I didn`t think he was matching too much?

Intensity/execution of game 1 missing IMO, simple as that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad