Pre-Game Talk: Game 2 - 10/5 7PM NJ Devils @ Buffalo Sabres Home Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I've met the kid and his brother and watched him for over two years. He's the opposite of unlikable. Kid plays with a ton of heart and loves the game.
Good for you. He comes across as an entitled little prick.

Reactions: Goathead

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Can't argue with that. He must hide it in person.

By the way - his teammates on the NTDP LOVED him.
Don’t want to get into a scrum. Look what I posted: “I find him...”.
Glad your experience was good for you.:thumbu:

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
The last game was the most cohesive I seen the team in a long while. If they carry that into this game and lose I won’t be upset. That aggressive system is fun to watch. I love the pressure especially on the breakouts. They came in waves and completely stunned the pens last game. I’m not even gonna complain about lines or EVEN Sobotka at this point. Just play that aggressive for the full game.

The true test will be if they stick to the plan for the full game even if they go down. Too many times last year they went down and everyone tried to do too much.

It would be very un-Sabre-like to take advantage of a team who played the night before. If they stick to the system and win I will be a very happy camper.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Hughes has not impressed me. Don’t know how adding him all of a sudden makes NJ a threat. Kid has skill but never was painted to be a superstar.

NJ speed will be a good test for us. I hope our system can slow them down. They took a gut punch of a lose tonight.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In Housley's defense, the Sabres seemed to be "checking detail" a lot last night. Krueger reaping the fruits of the checking detail instilled in these players over the last two years.

That implies that they actually did check well under Phil. They did not.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Hughes has not impressed me. Don’t know how adding him all of a sudden makes NJ a threat. Kid has skill but never was painted to be a superstar.

NJ speed will be a good test for us. I hope our system can slow them down. They took a gut punch of a lose tonight.
Its more PK Subban being added..between him and Hall thats a potential Norris and Art Ross duo right there and Hughes adds to that mix with tremendous potential.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Indeed! Puck support and positioning was outstanding last night! That means the coaches have been focused on strengthening fundamentals. Support doesn't just happen. It has to be worked on.

Question: How were the Sabres practices run during training camp and the preseason? Line drills? 5 on 5's? Is the ice broken up into stations? Was there a Small Area Games component to any of them?

I'm asking because I have found that support concepts are almost intrinsic to SAG esp. when the coach has certain rule sets in place for what players can or cannot do or go to zone wise during the SAG.
It's a secret. "We have some nuances in there that we’ll keep secret, but the general concept has to do with pressure and taking away that space and that time they’d like to have," Krueger said of his team's defense at 5 on 5. "How we get there we’ll keep to ourselves, but more than anything it’s about that. They just couldn’t find a way to open our defensive structure, which is the core, really, of our game and our offense grows out of that."

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
It's a secret. "We have some nuances in there that we’ll keep secret, but the general concept has to do with pressure and taking away that space and that time they’d like to have," Krueger said of his team's defense at 5 on 5. "How we get there we’ll keep to ourselves, but more than anything it’s about that. They just couldn’t find a way to open our defensive structure, which is the core, really, of our game and our offense grows out of that."
The secret will get tested tomorrow. The pens lacked speed down their lineup and on defense. The Devils play fire wagon hockey and have speed to burn. Okposo and Vlad will be tested by the pace. Should be interesting to see if the structure holds up.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Team showed more depth up and down lineup in 1st game but also about a 12-15 minute lapse. The D looked good and we arguably missing three starters.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The secret will get tested tomorrow. The pens lacked speed down their lineup and on defense. The Devils play fire wagon hockey and have speed to burn. Okposo and Vlad will be tested by the pace. Should be interesting to see if the structure holds up.
I think they're using a ball (puck)-oriented zone system adapted from soccer.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Nice to see NJ had a battle of a game with WPG. We should jump all over them right away and keep pushing. They will be low energy by the 3rd.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Its more PK Subban being added..between him and Hall thats a potential Norris and Art Ross duo right there and Hughes adds to that mix with tremendous potential.
Having hall back for a full season will make a difference for that team. He might be gone by the TDL tho. Pk is not a saviour for that teams defence problems.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Upset that for God knows what reason the UB game kicks off at 3:30 and not noon or 1pm, thus preventing me from going. Found an alternative: Buffalo State-Oneonta soccer at 1pm.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Would be nice if Krueger was proactive and had ERod draw in to help match the speed. Probably won't though.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad