Pre-Game Talk: Game 2 - 10/5 7PM NJ Devils @ Buffalo Sabres Home Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If Cory Schneider is truly back, this is going to be a really tough game because he can absolutely stand on his head. We didn't need Eichel and Skinner on the score sheet last night, but we probably will need them tomorrow.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I have a feeling i'm going to dislike Hughes throughout his career. Tomorrow seems like a good day to start whether its rational or not

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Winnipeg looks like a Sabres team.

New Jersey are scary. PK Subban is a monster again, so much skill on that team.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
If Cory Schneider is truly back, this is going to be a really tough game because he can absolutely stand on his head. We didn't need Eichel and Skinner on the score sheet last night, but we probably will need them tomorrow.

Looks like he is back to IR.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Last night was competent hockey. Even if the Pens had won, officiating or not, the Sabres did good things with and without the puck. They supported one another, they did things that made it palatable to watch again. Keep it up and people will return to watch the games.
Indeed! Puck support and positioning was outstanding last night! That means the coaches have been focused on strengthening fundamentals. Support doesn't just happen. It has to be worked on.

Question: How were the Sabres practices run during training camp and the preseason? Line drills? 5 on 5's? Is the ice broken up into stations? Was there a Small Area Games component to any of them?

I'm asking because I have found that support concepts are almost intrinsic to SAG esp. when the coach has certain rule sets in place for what players can or cannot do or go to zone wise during the SAG.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Indeed! Puck support and positioning was outstanding last night! That means the coaches have been focused on strengthening fundamentals. Support doesn't just happen. It has to be worked on.

Question: How were the Sabres practices run during training camp and the preseason? Line drills? 5 on 5's? Is the ice broken up into stations? Was there a Small Area Games component to any of them?

I'm asking because I have found that support concepts are almost intrinsic to SAG esp. when the coach has certain rule sets in place for what players can or cannot do or go to zone wise during the SAG.

I don't know from not having a chance to watch the few open sessions. I would love to have been a fly on the wall to see what they worked on. Low shots to the goalies right seem to be a trend from camp to now. So too is defending the front of the net well. I would bet they did a bunch of SAG based on the Dev Camp work between the bluelines. My favorite remains facing the nets the opposite way and forcing players to come hard to the cage from "behind" the net.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I don't know from not having a chance to watch the few open sessions. I would love to have been a fly on the wall to see what they worked on. Low shots to the goalies right seem to be a trend from camp to now. So too is defending the front of the net well. I would bet they did a bunch of SAG based on the Dev Camp work between the bluelines. My favorite remains facing the nets the opposite way and forcing players to come hard to the cage from "behind" the net.

Yes!.......I add the requirement that change of possession requires the player to pass the puck to either coach who is skating just outside each blue line. Teaches you to rapidly to generate or exploit a passing seam. I was also impressed with the Sabres quick passing via an outlet last night.

Something very interesting (and modern) is happening in the Sabres practices and I would also love to be a fly on the wall during a group of sessions. Hoping that the local coaching-literate guys on this board might be able to offer some insights!

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
This is gonna be a true test to the teams defense as NJ is pretty fast and has a pretty heavy top 6 and not just 2 big time centers.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Devils aren't going to be happy team after blowing a 4-0 lead and losing in OT. They're probably not going to have the legs to play fast and furious either. The Sabres need to take advantage.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The Devils aren't going to be happy team after blowing a 4-0 lead and losing in OT. They're probably not going to have the legs to play fast and furious either. The Sabres need to take advantage.
wow losing a 4 goal lead at home to open the season :eek:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
In Housley's defense, the Sabres seemed to be "checking detail" a lot last night. Krueger reaping the fruits of the checking detail instilled in these players over the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad