GDT: Game #19 - FL Panthers @ Your Columbus Blue Jackets 11-15-18

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The Nash signing really seems pointless at this point. I understand they probably wanted "insurance" on some of these guys, but they all seem to be better options than Nash at this point.
I just wanted to take a moment to celebrate one of those rare moments of agreement with you. :D

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The longer I watch hockey, the less I believe about effort and "playing right" and the more I believe in bounces and luck.

Do you believe in luck?

download.jpg

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The longer I watch hockey, the less I believe about effort and "playing right" and the more I believe in bounces and luck.

I disagree somewhat.

Its not as if "bounces and luck" don't occur, its 1 of the things I bring up to argue against "advanced statistics", as they don't and CANT take either into account. But, effort and "playing right" has a MUCH bigger impact than "luck".

The "bounces and luck" almost never occur WITHOUT "playing right" or giving extra effort.

The Duclair breakaway goal is a perfect example. People will talk about the move and his skill but will ignore the fact that without "playing right", without the hustle and effort to win the race to the puck, the "skilled goal" doesn't happen. Its quite literally what Torts is trying to instill in the younger guys, and what some people bash him for.

To add in the "luck" factor, go back and look at that goal. And also try to remember the handful of "breakaways" chances in close that Duclair has failed on this year. He attempts TOO MANY moves in close to the goalie. *Hot take* He didn't even try to put it 5 hole. He was (wrongly) attempting to go back to the forehand, but in the middle of his "quadruple deke" the FLA guy slashed his stick and propelled it in. But, again my point is that this sequence of "luck" cannot happen without Duclair's conscious decision to give effort and foreCHECK.

My point is that it is a perfect case of the reality of the very small differences/variables (or "bounces and luck") that occur that can have huge impacts on plays and games that are somewhat forgotten or not realized. The difference between "AMAZING GOAL/SAVE!!" and "BRUTAL ATTEMPT!!" is essentially nothing A LOT of the time.

The 5 hole goal on Korpisalo is another good example of "luck" occurring because of "playing right". But, instead of a smart conscious decision to give effort, it was a smart conscious decision by Yandle to take the quick shot with a bunch of traffic that caused/led to the goal. You couldn't even measure the amount of time that Korpisalo was "late" getting to the ice or how much "room" the puck snuck through his 5 hole. And do you really believe Yandle aimed to score 5 hole? I'm obviously not good with the decimals and calculations, but the odds of that puck not hitting any CBJ guys or get tipped/deflected by a FLA player AND THEN dipping down perfectly into a space that (in replays showed) was nearly non existent, are not very high. From Korpisalo's POV (literally and figuratively) that's the last place he would expect a shot to get on net there in that situation.

Reactions: Cowumbus

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also let me add that I could be wrong, they might have had the mics turned up a bit, but it seems there's quite a few more Korpisalo fans at Nationwide than on here.

During and mainly after that sequence of a handful of saves (shoulder/2 VERY NICE stops) by Korpi halfway through the game when we had just gone up a goal, I can not remember an ovation that loud for Bob during a game ever or ANY player for that matter for anything other than a goal.

I could "feel" the energy from where I am. I can only imagine what it was in the building and the effect on the team.

Yes, it was short lived as they score a bit after, and he should have had the Ekblad goal. Happy?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Also let me add that I could be wrong, they might have had the mics turned up a bit, but it seems there's quite a few more Korpisalo fans at Nationwide than on here.

During and mainly after that sequence of a handful of saves (shoulder/2 VERY NICE stops) by Korpi halfway through the game when we had just gone up a goal, I can not remember an ovation that loud for Bob during a game ever or ANY player for that matter for anything other than a goal.

I could "feel" the energy from where I am. I can only imagine what it was in the building and the effect on the team.

Yes, it was short lived as they score a bit after, and he should have had the Ekblad goal. Happy?

I think that's an audible (tangible) representation of what Bob's challenge is. The expectations of Bob are far far higher. It's like being the CEO of a company, you're not gonna get a whole lot of kudos from folks for doing your job. It's lonely at the top, and once you're there, it's hard to go anywhere but downhill.

EDIT: And imagine where those expectations go if he's getting paid 10mil..

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Dawg, @thebus88.

You literally search our board with one thing on your mind: retaliation. You’re rarely ever found during the game but after the game, you lurk to bash previous posts. Keyboard warrior. If someone has a different opinion than you, you come at their neck instantly. Reality check: last time I checked it was 2018, not everyone is gonna have the same opinion as your (ever so perfect) opinions.

Get a grip.
Sincerely,

most CBJ HF posters.

I'm quite sure (in this case) you actually want the "response" so ok. I agree with those I agree with, and disagree with those I disagree with. I post at ALL different times. I didn't "know" if the team would come back during/after the 1st, but without looking on here, I KNEW 100% the type of stuff that was being posted. BECAUSE ITS BEEN 2+ FULL YEARS OF THE SAME STUFF. Keyboard warrior? Lets plan a drop in/shinny/skate for 'HFCBJ' in northern Ohio next spring/summer. I'd drive the hours. The "opinions" I disagree with ARE ALL ANTI CBJ "opinions". And my opinions have consistency, unlike some posters here.

This timeline pretty much sums up my reasons for my common "retaliations". Its been well OVER 2+ years of this crap. Goes ALL THE WAY BACK to when Torts was 1st brought in.

Funny thing is, I had tickets to sit 117 Row E and passed them up.

I can’t imagine sitting thru this chit show.

It feels like the D pairs and all the lines have absolutely zero chemistry tonight. I guess that’s what ya get when you take two all stars and a pylon (Riley Nash) out of the lineup.

I LITERALLY TOOK A SHOWER DURING THE FIRST INTERMISSION AND MISSED OUR GOALS.

let’s go jacketssssss

Korpisalo’s play in net throughout his career has been baffling. He saves shots that no goalie should have any business saving but then let’s in the softest goals you’ll ever see. Dude is as inconsistent as any other goalie in the league and it’s painful to watch.

And I continue to say it all season,

This. Team. Is. RESILIENT.

Poster on the Panthers board:

“Duclair is garbage too, lol”.

Lol........ Duclair’s 8 goals would be tied for the Panthers best. But okaaaaay bud.

lets go jackets

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm quite sure (in this case) you actually want the "response" so ok. I agree with those I agree with, and disagree with those I disagree with. I post at ALL different times. I didn't "know" if the team would come back during/after the 1st, but without looking on here, I KNEW 100% the type of stuff that was being posted. BECAUSE ITS BEEN 2+ FULL YEARS OF THE SAME STUFF. Keyboard warrior? Lets plan a drop in/shinny/skate for 'HFCBJ' in northern Ohio next spring/summer. I'd drive the hours. The "opinions" I disagree with ARE ALL ANTI CBJ "opinions". And my opinions have consistency, unlike some posters here.

This timeline pretty much sums up my reasons for my common "retaliations". Its been well OVER 2+ years of this crap. Goes ALL THE WAY BACK to when Torts was 1st brought in.
Mood swings during the course of a game are a thing. They're not a bad thing so long as they're recognized as such and thus don't unduly influence opinion otherwise. I take issue with folks drawing broad and lasting conclusions based on that kind of transitory stuff; you seem to be pouncing on people for having those moments in the first place.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I disagree somewhat.

Its not as if "bounces and luck" don't occur, its 1 of the things I bring up to argue against "advanced statistics", as they don't and CANT take either into account. But, effort and "playing right" has a MUCH bigger impact than "luck".

The "bounces and luck" almost never occur WITHOUT "playing right" or giving extra effort.

Saw this goal last night. Nothing but pure luck. How many perfect passes hit a rut before it finds tape? Nothing but luck. But you can't say that. "We have to play right, do the right things...blah blah".

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Saw this goal last night. Nothing but pure luck. How many perfect passes hit a rut before it finds tape? Nothing but luck. But you can't say that. "We have to play right, do the right things...blah blah".

If you don't "play right" and "do the right things", you're not in position to take advantage of those kinds of lucky chances.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Sure there are good and bad bounces.. sometimes the puck goes on edge and really allows guys to get a more favorable shot.. some guys in the skills contest can hit every plate with a quick wrister..some guys (Jason Chimera for example) can skate like the wind get a lot of quality break aways and can seemingly miss the net from the crease. You are pointing out that DuClair has nine goals and leads the team in that aspect and gets those chances because he is lucky, works hard to get in the right position and sometimes scores even though he didn't put the puck where he intended. There are only a few natural scorers that can call every shot (Patrick Kane, Sidney Crosby, Wayne Gretzky Alex Ovechkin are examples), far more leading scorers use their speed and wicked shot to just put the puck on net Pavel Bure, Rocket Richard. Any way you look at it, a shot not taken doesn't go in.. put the fricking puck on net and good things happen.. shoot every chance you can (Alex Wennberg). Making a beautiful pass instead of taking a wide open shot is generally a bad idea & it makes the players judgement questionable. I don"t need to play shinny hockey or skate fast to come to that conclusion Now thats not to say a properly timed pass across the crease to a one timer back door does not work as Breadman has repeatedly shown, but I would point out that Panarin can make that effective pass because he is feared as a shooter first. So come join the chat during a game, text from NWA if you want too but free forums like this are generally for the fans that want to share and seek others opinions.. stop making this so damn difficult.

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

And my favorite

(there's more, but HF only allows three. So)

I'm not saying the ovation to Korpi wasn't impressive or wasn't deserved. But, you know, Bob (and Mason before him) have been cheered every bit as much for big saves/sequences too. It's not abnormal.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'll go ahead and say I didn't think Korpi deserved a standing ovation for that sequence.

He got himself in a terrible position and had no idea where the puck was for most of it.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'll go ahead and say I didn't think Korpi deserved a standing ovation for that sequence.

He got himself in a terrible position and had no idea where the puck was for most of it.
I wonder if bus ever has this thought cross his mind:

Maybe Korpi got a bigger ovation than Bob would because people know he isn’t very good and were surprised he didn’t get scored on. As others have said, Bob’s threshold is higher.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Whenever I watch standing ovation videos, I get chills all up and down my spine.

But then I turn the heat up. It's a bit nippy in here

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
That REACTIONARY shoulder save from behind to the front of the net was a better save than ANY save Bob has made THIS YEAR.

The overall ovation was a little overboard. Its part of the reason I found it interesting that the crowd would react AS MUCH as they did. However, again, that shoulder save was not LUCKY. In the replay it showed he literally "saw" (or "knew" the pass was being made) and reacted to the shot as/after it was released. His upward motion is what kept that puck out, as it went off they VERY top of his shoulder and popped straight up.

Not to mention the sliding "pad stack" on the 2 on 1 play that happened just before and led to most of the confusion that led to the other chances.

But of course, NO, the fans are just happy he didn't get scored on because he's so much worse than Bob?

PLEASE.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

There’s a luck component in all sports , giving up 9 , 2 on 1 breakaways against the rangers , is not luck .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That REACTIONARY shoulder save from behind to the front of the net was a better save than ANY save Bob has made THIS YEAR.

The overall ovation was a little overboard. Its part of the reason I found it interesting that the crowd would react AS MUCH as they did. However, again, that shoulder save was not LUCKY. In the replay it showed he literally "saw" (or "knew" the pass was being made) and reacted to the shot as/after it was released. His upward motion is what kept that puck out, as it went off they VERY top of his shoulder and popped straight up.

Not to mention the sliding "pad stack" on the 2 on 1 play that happened just before and led to most of the confusion that led to the other chances.

But of course, NO, the fans are just happy he didn't get scored on because he's so much worse than Bob?

PLEASE.
Yeah, it was impressive. But the quality one looks for when watching auditions for Starting Goaltender is consistency, and Korpi also demonstrated that night that he still doesn't have that. If he gets it, he could be awesome. But it's still too soon to crown him Bob's successor, and that's a concern.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Yeah, it was impressive. But the quality one looks for when watching auditions for Starting Goaltender is consistency, and Korpi also demonstrated that night that he still doesn't have that. If he gets it, he could be awesome. But it's still too soon to crown him Bob's successor, and that's a concern.
Right on.. consistency is the reason some starters in the NHL might not be able to make those flashy saves, but they do regularly make 90% or better night in night out. Hasek & Roy could do both

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad