GDT: Game #19 - FL Panthers @ Your Columbus Blue Jackets 11-15-18

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Maybe? His first period was awful. But he deserves credit for one very important thing. A bad period doesn't turn into a bad game for him.
Just about everyone played poorly in the first. And just about everyone stepped up big time in 2nd and 3rd after Cam’s shorty. 4th line was good, Harrington logged big minutes and our goal scorers scored goals. We looked like the slower team at the start, the faster team the last two

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Just about everyone played poorly in the first. And just about everyone stepped up big time in 2nd and 3rd after Cam’s shorty. 4th line was good, Harrington logged big minutes and our goal scorers scored goals. We looked like the slower team at the star, the faster team the last two b
You know that Harry won a SO challenge yesterday at practice?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No offense to Cam or Korpi, who were good, but I'd give three stars nods to Duclair, Savard (+5, 1A), and Wennberg (set up 2 goals to get us back in the game). Wenny was also throwing his weight around, I wonder if he'll try that again.

Hannikainen has been unheralded for a long time. I've been saying it for ages, we should have put him in the lineup in the Caps series. His forechecking game is beautiful.

Dalpe looks a lot better than Riley Nash so far, hopefully they keep it like this.

Reactions: Maylo and Viqsi

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
After the first period with Korpi in net most thought or said game over.....

Robert said it's early.... within 10 minutes of the second it was 3-3.... 20 minutes later it was 6-3.... Great comeback Jackets...

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
...as I mentioned with Panarin out , how many jackets would start in Florida’s top 6 ?

8 or 9 maybe? I mean Frank Vatrano is ok but I think we have a lot of better forwards who could beat him out for the 6th forward spot. :DD

Look at their 6 top goal scorers, the Jackets top goal scorers are well ahead in production (so far).

Reactions: thebus88

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Korpi with 40 saves on 43 shots . (36 of 37 even strength)
And 2 ga on pp on 6 shots .
Great comeback but Korpi is giving up close to 4 goals a game.... He must be better, we can't score 5 goals every time he's in net... If we can score as if Korpi is in net every game even when he isn't we win the cup...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hoping not to drag the mood down here, but this has been in my head and I want to comment on it:

Skill difference is staggering . How many jackets start in Florida’s top 6

What bothers me about posts like this - and why I have a tendency to call them out - is that, based on things not going well at a given time, they imply/assert some sort of intrinsic deficiency with this team and/or its personnel. Something that can only be "fixed" by replacing people. And yet, this evening we had a pretty particularly dramatic demonstration that such a conclusion can be remarkably ill-founded.

I'm not picking on @The Bread Man specifically here* (we all have moments where we doubt and despair), but this particular "we're intrinsic failures" thing? I would posit that most of the time this is the wrong conclusion to draw. Players have ups and downs. Teams have ups and downs. Heck, sometimes they go from one to the other in the middle of a game (*cough*cough*two hours ago*cough*). That's not some sort of inherent, intrinsic deficiency - that's life and the human condition. Every team does that. Every team's fans get kvetchy and doubting about their team not being a world-beater.

I accept that this phenomenon exists, but that doesn't mean I'm quietly okay with it. It's something I feel like pushing back on, because it feels just so damned unnecessary. Are we not here to be entertained? Why find ways like this to be so thoroughly disappointed? And it especially sticks in my craw when such moods are used as rationale for making bigger "corrective" moves later. I mean, okay, yeah, sure, depression and black moods happen to all of us, but making big decisions while depressed/disappointed is like making them while drunk - sure, it seems to all make perfect sense at the time, but outside of that state you'll quickly realize that it doesn't, and you'll really regret acting on it.

If you'll pardon my channeling my inner Yogi Berra for a moment - ultimately, we don't need to be the Greatest Hockey Team That Ever Hockeyed. Ultimately, all we really have to do is be better than the other guy more often than not. Because if you do that enough, and you stay ultimately better than all the other guys that often... by process of elimination, that would make you the best. (Yes, I know hockey players themselves push to be The Best Themselves They Can Be. But we're fans. We're here to be entertained; it's not our paycheck depending on the result.)

I'm not sure where I'm ultimately going with this, outside of making a TL;DR version of "why you heff to be mad". This is supposed to be a fun diversion. Why jump to conclusions about being Intrinsically Doomed based off of momentary fluctuation?

*: Well, okay, I am... just not exclusively. :)

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I miss Torts in the post game but shit happens.... It was a great victory at home tonight!!!! (gotta keep up with those pesky Sabres)….. ;)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Hoping not to drag the mood down here, but this has been in my head and I want to comment on it:

What bothers me about posts like this - and why I have a tendency to call them out - is that, based on things not going well at a given time, they imply/assert some sort of intrinsic deficiency with this team and/or its personnel. Something that can only be "fixed" by replacing people. And yet, this evening we had a pretty particularly dramatic demonstration that such a conclusion can be remarkably ill-founded.

I'm not picking on @The Bread Man specifically here* (we all have moments where we doubt and despair), but this particular "we're intrinsic failures" thing? I would posit that most of the time this is the wrong conclusion to draw. Players have ups and downs. Teams have ups and downs. Heck, sometimes they go from one to the other in the middle of a game (*cough*cough*two hours ago*cough*). That's not some sort of inherent, intrinsic deficiency - that's life and the human condition. Every team does that. Every team's fans get kvetchy and doubting about their team not being a world-beater.

I accept that this phenomenon exists, but that doesn't mean I'm quietly okay with it. It's something I feel like pushing back on, because it feels just so damned unnecessary. Are we not here to be entertained? Why find ways like this to be so thoroughly disappointed? And it especially sticks in my craw when such moods are used as rationale for making bigger "corrective" moves later. I mean, okay, yeah, sure, depression and black moods happen to all of us, but making big decisions while depressed/disappointed is like making them while drunk - sure, it seems to all make perfect sense at the time, but outside of that state you'll quickly realize that it doesn't, and you'll really regret acting on it.

If you'll pardon my channeling my inner Yogi Berra for a moment - ultimately, we don't need to be the Greatest Hockey Team That Ever Hockeyed. Ultimately, all we really have to do is be better than the other guy more often than not. Because if you do that enough, and you stay ultimately better than all the other guys that often... by process of elimination, that would make you the best. (Yes, I know hockey players themselves push to be The Best Themselves They Can Be. But we're fans. We're here to be entertained; it's not our paycheck depending on the result.)

I'm not sure where I'm ultimately going with this, outside of making a TL;DR version of "why you heff to be mad". This is supposed to be a fun diversion. Why jump to conclusions about being Intrinsically Doomed based off of momentary fluctuation?

so....much....READING! I need a breather! ;)

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Viqsi, honestly, why don't you use ignore button? It's so much healthier here with it.

Reactions: Monk

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

I didn’t read the whole thing , but my post had nothing to do with the score at the time. Our team has got off to a hot start offensively , but Florida is vastly more talented at the forward position . Of tonight’s lineup , maybe Cam or Pld could start in their top 6, but it’s pretty close . Florida started the season horribly , and coming into this game had won 5 or 6 in a row .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Viqsi, honestly, why don't you use ignore button? It's so much healthier here with it.
Because whether or not I ignore someone doesn't have an impact on whether or not other people do. And I don't like seeing only half of a conversation.

Naturally, when I take over the world, this will be one of the first things to change. But until that time... :dunno:

;)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Because whether or not I ignore someone doesn't have an impact on whether or not other people do. And I don't like seeing only half of a conversation.

Naturally, when I take over the world, this will be one of the first things to change. But until that time... :dunno:

;)
Everybody take note. She said WHEN not IF. (yikes!)

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No IGNORE buttons?! Start with Peace around the world at least!
No, I'm saying that when I ignore someone, everyone will.
mwahaha.gif
;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad