GDT: Game #19 - FL Panthers @ Your Columbus Blue Jackets 11-15-18

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Hoping not to drag the mood down here, but this has been in my head and I want to comment on it:

What bothers me about posts like this - and why I have a tendency to call them out - is that, based on things not going well at a given time, they imply/assert some sort of intrinsic deficiency with this team and/or its personnel. Something that can only be "fixed" by replacing people. And yet, this evening we had a pretty particularly dramatic demonstration that such a conclusion can be remarkably ill-founded.

I'm not picking on @The Bread Man specifically here* (we all have moments where we doubt and despair), but this particular "we're intrinsic failures" thing? I would posit that most of the time this is the wrong conclusion to draw. Players have ups and downs. Teams have ups and downs. Heck, sometimes they go from one to the other in the middle of a game (*cough*cough*two hours ago*cough*). That's not some sort of inherent, intrinsic deficiency - that's life and the human condition. Every team does that. Every team's fans get kvetchy and doubting about their team not being a world-beater.

I accept that this phenomenon exists, but that doesn't mean I'm quietly okay with it. It's something I feel like pushing back on, because it feels just so damned unnecessary. Are we not here to be entertained? Why find ways like this to be so thoroughly disappointed? And it especially sticks in my craw when such moods are used as rationale for making bigger "corrective" moves later. I mean, okay, yeah, sure, depression and black moods happen to all of us, but making big decisions while depressed/disappointed is like making them while drunk - sure, it seems to all make perfect sense at the time, but outside of that state you'll quickly realize that it doesn't, and you'll really regret acting on it.

If you'll pardon my channeling my inner Yogi Berra for a moment - ultimately, we don't need to be the Greatest Hockey Team That Ever Hockeyed. Ultimately, all we really have to do is be better than the other guy more often than not. Because if you do that enough, and you stay ultimately better than all the other guys that often... by process of elimination, that would make you the best. (Yes, I know hockey players themselves push to be The Best Themselves They Can Be. But we're fans. We're here to be entertained; it's not our paycheck depending on the result.)

I'm not sure where I'm ultimately going with this, outside of making a TL;DR version of "why you heff to be mad". This is supposed to be a fun diversion. Why jump to conclusions about being Intrinsically Doomed based off of momentary fluctuation?

*: Well, okay, I am... just not exclusively. :)
I read this, three times.... After 12 years on HF one must understand most GD posts are snap shots. I have much experience as a CBJ fan which comes in handy but I can't compete with the 24/7 CBJ fan so I use stats... Stats and intuition work for me... I also blow off many comments because it's game day and sometimes to avoid conflict... In the end it's just fun, don't take this stuff to seriously.... :)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I didn’t read the whole thing , but my post had nothing to do with the score at the time. Our team has got off to a hot start offensively , but Florida is vastly more talented at the forward position . Of tonight’s lineup , maybe Cam or Pld could start in their top 6, but it’s pretty close . Florida started the season horribly , and coming into this game had won 5 or 6 in a row .
Possibly. But at the same time, how many Panthers fans are sitting about and quietly griping about how few of their blueliners would get any ice time at all on our team?

There are many paths to being better than the other guy. :nod:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
korp pretty good
3 weeks ago I hated him, 2 weeks ago I loved him, 1 week ago I hated him.....

I've been watching NHL hockey for 48 years.. Goal tenders make or break a game, Korpi needs to be more consistent... and most of all stop PP goals, the best player on the ice during a PP must be the goalie!!

The CBJ should not have to score 4 or 5 goals to win with Korpi in net!!!! He knows this.... He must get better..

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yes. But we know who really lost it. Korpi gave up 3 goals on like 2 shots. CBJ were down 3-0 in half a period and Bob only got the loss cause CBJ scored 3 goals to tie it up

The team was at fault for AT LEAST 2 of those 3 quick goals against DET. It was peak "safe is death".

Continue with the false narrative though.

Reactions: Robert

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
You obviously missed the video of the Hanniakainen goal.

Its almost as if the games aren't 20 minutes long.
That goal was huge.... After the first period I bet dollars to doughnuts most thought we were going to lose with Korpi in net.... We as fans must remember a lot goes on in the room during periods and NO game is won or lost in the first period...;)

Reactions: thebus88

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I've been watching NHL hockey for 48 years.. Goal tenders make or break a game, Korpi needs to be more consistent... and most of all stop PP goals, the best player on the ice during a PP must be the goalie!!

The CBJ should not have to score 4 or 5 goals to win with Korpi in net!!!! He knows this.... He must get better..
Hell, I do the same thing period to period with him!

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The team was at fault for AT LEAST 2 of those 3 quick goals against DET. It was peak "safe is death".

Continue with the false narrative though.
In the rangers game , Torts quoted yesterday, that Korpi faced 9
2 on 1 chances . If that gives you an idea as too how our defense played that game . Both of our goalies get shelled when we’re playing loose defensively . Tonight was a prime example that when they settle down and play within their structure , Korpi can look pretty good. He still needs to become more consistent , but he hasn’t really had the luxury of playing regularly. Florida was the hottest team in the Nhl, they jumped on our throats , and we battled back, and then humiliated them. That’s a really good sign

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Classic Korpisalo victory. Looks like crap, gives up 3 goals and we still win easily.

HAHAHAHAHA

That 3rd goal BARELY snuck through his 5 hole, with 4 guys in front of him, 1 guy right in his face. While I'd like his to seem more in control on that tip on goal 1, he's reacting to the shot, and it went off the "far" post. Bob doesn't save that.

He should have gotten the Ekblad goal, I'll give you that.

"Looks like crap" is absolute BS.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Maybe? His first period was awful. But he deserves credit for one very important thing. A bad period doesn't turn into a bad game for him.

A "bad period" turns into a "bad game" for who...?

Don't answer if its too hard on you.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Hannikainen has been unheralded for a long time. I've been saying it for ages, we should have put him in the lineup in the Caps series. His forechecking game is beautiful.

After tonight I'm done bashing the dude.

Like I've said when I "trash" Milano, it's not about "flash" or looking good doing it. Its about doing it. He's quite literally the OPPOSITE of Milano. But, not only the "bad" things, but the "good" things.

1 thing I've noticed with him this year other than his "grinding" or energy is that he's actually VERY good passing the puck in traffic. And just VERY SMART with the puck in general. A perfect example was tonight before the goal, instead of just dump/flip the puck in the zone (and NOT retrieve to puck ala Milano), he made a tape to tape pass to Dalpe, which directly resulted in the goal as they were able to gain the zone with possession.

I also still like Sedlak and think he deserves praise for what is asked of him.

The Nash signing really seems pointless at this point. I understand they probably wanted "insurance" on some of these guys, but they all seem to be better options than Nash at this point.

pled

Sep 7, 2009

at 24 for a goalie theres time to get better for sure

Reactions: major major

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Dawg, @thebus88.

You literally search our board with one thing on your mind: retaliation. You’re rarely ever found during the game but after the game, you lurk to bash previous posts. Keyboard warrior. If someone has a different opinion than you, you come at their neck instantly. Reality check: last time I checked it was 2018, not everyone is gonna have the same opinion as your (ever so perfect) opinions.

Get a grip.
Sincerely,

most CBJ HF posters.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I am almost certain we had a big win last nite & yet there still seems to be so much grumbling on this board. Very weird. Just checked the Dispatch, we did win big last nite.

Reactions: eljefe72

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Re: Korpi...

Based on my recollections, the first goal was off of a nice delection out front; shit happens. The second one was a PP goal where he got caught leaning one way and didn't get back to the other post as well as he could have. The third one was also on a PP (?) and Korpi didn't quite cover the five hole. It was a tough start but he battled back well.

More distressing to me was the team not skating at all in the first. They got a win with a 40 minute effort though so take it and run I guess.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
More distressing to me was the team not skating at all in the first. They got a win with a 40 minute effort though so take it and run I guess.

You always want a 60 minute effort, but it's probably more rare than we'd prefer. I'd guess Florida fans think they only got a 20 minute effort.

I think part of the reason (and this is no longer in response to JP's post specifically) fans struggle is they look at things only through the lens of their team. If something goes wrong, it's our guys' fault for sucking. If something goes well, it's our guys doing something right. We're totally happy with Cam's short-handed goal but beside ourselves that Korp couldn't stop Ekblad on their second goal, when (and I'm speaking in a macro sense here, not in detail) both kinda look similar in that the goalie didn't make it over to cover the far post.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->