GDT: Game 19 - Caps @ Avs - 7PM 11/16 - We Want Their Cup

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Refs owed us some favours, and we cashed them all in tonight. Stole a point. Lucky

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Don't understand how GB stays in the lineup over Long Beach and Barbi and Nemeth was a train wreck. I pin this loss on Bednar's lineup choices and the dumb penalty by Cole.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Lucky point.

Really liked Jost and Kerfoot. Especially Jost looks like a new player. All the rest were quite meh tonight.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Unnecessary play by Cole. He had Smith-Pelly fairly contained, any time the arm goes around the oppnent like that it's going to be a call, especially after that blatant missed call on Rantanen.

It was a weird game. Too many shots into Caps' bodies. I felt the Avs weren't bad per se, but Wasington played very well in front of Copley. I was an evenly played game, when it shouldn't have been considering you're at home and the Caps are missing 2 of their 4 best forwards. Then again they are the Cup champs for a reason and have considerable amounts of depth and a very good d-corps.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
EJ really isn't good when he refuses to move his feet in the defensive zone. Girard wasn't at his best either and I'm certainly not trying to make excuses for him but there were a few plays where EJ made his job so much harder because he wouldn't skate to give him an outlet.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thoughts...

- MacKinnon is playing some stupid hockey lately. Rantanen and Landeskog are really leading that line.

- Wilson was in clown shoes, but he redeemed himself.

- Only thing Barrie didn't do was unroll the Red Carpet there on the Ovechkin goal, lol. Just allow him all the space there, invite him to your house, and take him to dinner on your tab while you're at it.

- Jost was fantastic today, but if there is an area he needs to work on it is the tight spaces around the offencive net. Which is strange because he can stickhandle through a phone booth until he gets into that area and goes into stone hands.

- I think Calvert has settled in nicely the past week of games. He isn't going to get better in the stickhandling department, but at least he isn't useless out there.

- Kamenenv is also getting comfortable in his game, which is great to see him play.

- I thought Barberio was once again fantastic, maybe he's getting some Samson-like powers from his stache?

- Cole is really becoming a force.

- Erik Johnson has a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really terrible shot for a guy of his 6'4" and 225 lbs size.

- If there is one big problem I am seeing with this Avs team consistently is that offencively, there have been way too many one and done chances too many times in the season. Caps eventually got into their game because the breakout was so easy for them in the entire game. A lot of dumb forecheque positioning by the Avs forwards today.

- I don't think Avs got a lot of traffic in front of Copley, but if it wasn't for him the Avs would've been up 4-0 by the first period alone. And do you know what's even more hilarious? Blues got him from the Caps and traded him back to the Caps, lol. Allen and Johnson as a good tandem, but this guy couldn't challenge for the starter spot? Gotta love Armstrong.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'll take the point considering Tom Wilson didn't injure anyone and we were outmatched against a better more physical team that had its legs go in the 3rd after playing last night.

Really though, there's no way this team can win long-term if it doesn't get proper top-9 wingers because you can't expect the 1st line to score every night. Wingers on the 2nd and 3rd line can't even accept passes, Wilson was the absolute worse culprit of all. Jost and Kerfoot showed some chemistry at least but Ghetto looked like a tweener. We really need a trade here and for Compher to come back strong.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Thoughts...

- MacKinnon is playing some stupid hockey lately. Rantanen and Landeskog are really leading that line.

- Wilson was in clown shoes, but he redeemed himself.

- Only thing Barrie didn't do was unroll the Red Carpet there on the Ovechkin goal, lol. Just allow him all the space there, invite him to your house, and take him to dinner on your tab while you're at it.

- Jost was fantastic today, but if there is an area he needs to work on it is the tight spaces around the offencive net. Which is strange because he can stickhandle through a phone booth until he gets into that area and goes into stone hands.

- I think Calvert has settled in nicely the past week of games. He isn't going to get better in the stickhandling department, but at least he isn't useless out there.

- Kamenenv is also getting comfortable in his game, which is great to see him play.

- I thought Barberio was once again fantastic, maybe he's getting some Samson-like powers from his stache?

- Cole is really becoming a force.

- Erik Johnson has a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really terrible shot for a guy of his 6'4" and 225 lbs size.

- If there is one big problem I am seeing with this Avs team consistently is that offencively, there have been way too many one and done chances too many times in the season. Caps eventually got into their game because the breakout was so easy for them in the entire game. A lot of dumb forecheque positioning by the Avs forwards today.

- I don't think Avs got a lot of traffic in front of Copley, but if it wasn't for him the Avs would've been up 4-0 by the first period alone. And do you know what's even more hilarious? Blues got him from the Caps and traded him back to the Caps, lol. Allen and Johnson as a good tandem, but this guy couldn't challenge for the starter spot? Gotta love Armstrong.

His stick is to long to do the things he wants to do around the net. He really should take a page from Duchene in that regard and shorten it a bit.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
OMG. To you really expect him to save the snipes from Ovi and Backstrom or the tic-tac-toe on the first goal??? Some ppl :help:

He hasn't lived up to his billing so far this season. He's been a very mediocre backup...not exactly what you want to see from a guy whom you hope will take the reigns. Regardless of how saveable tonight's goals were.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'll take the point considering Tom Wilson didn't injure anyone and we were outmatched against a better more physical team that had its legs go in the 3rd after playing last night.

Really though, there's no way this team can win long-term if it doesn't get proper top-9 wingers because you can't expect the 1st line to score every night. Wingers on the 2nd and 3rd line can't even accept passes, Wilson was the absolute worse culprit of all. Jost and Kerfoot showed some chemistry at least but Ghetto looked like a tweener. We really need a trade here and for Compher to come back strong.
We really needed to get Jeff Skinner.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Bednar was trolling us by finally giving Soderberg a different linemate in the third...Colin Wilson :laugh:

Just give him Kerfoot and Jost. Kerfoot is a true top 6 player and Jost has been gaining momentum. Foster that with a quality center in Soderberg while helping him out too. This is Bednar's most stubborn tendency and it's annoying.

Also Grubauer deserves better and needs to play more. People disappointed in him don't realize how hard it is to keep coming in cold like that and he just remarked on it after the game tonight. Playing him more is better for the team in the long term.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Not too upset about the loss tonight. Jost is looking good, we got away with a few penalties and got a point at least. Mack has been making some bad choices lately.

He used to do this fly into the zone then button hook thing all the time. It was last year he started using his speed in different ways and people didnt know what to expect. He's doing that shit again this year and he needs to stop

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
His stick is to long to do the things he wants to do around the net. He really should take a page from Duchene in that regard and shorten it a bit.
That's a good point I didn't think about. In terms of playing styles, I think he tends to do a bit more "fly-bys" than any other Avs forward besides MacKinnon. Mikko is so good because instead of fly-bying from the puck carrier, he just Tommy Wilson invites himself and wrecks havoc creating forced and unforced turnovers.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
To all - and just because. Washington did NOT, i repeat, did NOT played last night. They played Wednesday. Just to clear things up. They were as well rested as we were.

Washington simply was the better team tonight - sometimes it's just that easy.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Dang...I might be misreading this, but it seems like Grubi was throwing some shade at his playing time in his post-game presser: "Felt good to get a game in, what, two weeks or whatever...it felt like it was the offseason."

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
To all - and just because. Washington did NOT, i repeat, did NOT played last night. They played Wednesday. Just to clear things up. They were as well rested as we were.

Washington simply was the better team tonight - sometimes it's just that easy.
Yep played same night as Avs played Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad