GDT: Game 19 - Caps @ Avs - 7PM 11/16 - We Want Their Cup

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Almost 1/4 of the season played and the Avs are yet to win a single game where the 1st line does not score or take the game over. No pressure guys, either you win it for us or we lose.

I haven't kept track or anything but hasn't that line scored or assisted in almost all games? That would make the sample size very small.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Varly is an elite level goalie who has what, one elite season? Get real.

Also, Francouz is struggling in the AHL right now after a hot start. His numbers are pretty pedestrian.

Saying Grubauer was garbage tonight is the hottest take of all. The greatest goal scorer in NHL history skates through the slot and gets an uncontested shot high glove, and that’s on the goalie? Hmmm...

We had Kirk McLean as our part time goaltending coach for Varly's first two season with Avs and since his gig with Avs McLean hasn't had a coaching job. Then we had Francois Allaire as a part time goaltending coach. Allaire adjusted Varly's glove hand positioning. Varly's glove used to rest near his goalie pad but Allaire positioned Varly's glove to more upright position which has made Varly's glove hand quite good and it isn't a problem anymore. One thing Allaire didn't adjust was Varly's stance when anticipating the shots. Varly had much lower position before but after Avs signed Parkkila as a goaltending coach he has taught Varly to be more in upright position instead of going down as easy as he would have before. This will lead to much less stress to Varly's groings it will prolong his career now that his groins are surgically fixed and his stance has been improved. Avs should have signed Parkkila as a goaltending coach immediately after they traded for Varly. For some reason Avs were cheap when it came to a goaltending coach and that's why he haven't got the best out of Varly most of the time.

I think we all consider Pekka Rinne as a elite level goalie? He has four seasons where his save percentage has been above .920 and he has played in Predators where the defence has always been good. Varly has three season above .920 save percentage in burgundy jersey with banged up groins and shitty defensive systems.

Since joining the Avs Varly's save percentage has been .917 in burdungy jersey. From season 11-12 to this date Varly's save percentage ranks as a nuber 17 among goalies who has played over 100 games during that stretch. From here you can see all the results: NHL.com - Stats

We should all appreciate that we have Semyon Varlamov as our starting goaltender because he is the best we've had since Roy.

I have said this before but Grubauer's lateral movement is quite awful and for some reason he has trouble locating the puck through traffic. He seems like a Bernier 2.0.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I haven't kept track or anything but hasn't that line scored or assisted in almost all games? That would make the sample size very small.
The games where all of MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog were 0+0 are this last game, a 2-5 loss to Winnipeg a week ago and a 1-0 loss to Tampa. There are also a couple others where they just have like an assist combined or just one goal combined, and they are all losses as well.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs have not won a single game where the top line has not scored 2 goals or more. Either they show up and score a couple or the Avs lose. Even bad teams win games here and there without production from their top line.

Sucks for the Avs this season as the depth is crap but long term its great. If the 1st line can carry a team with barely any secondary scoring to the playoffs imagine what this team can do once they have depth.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Varlamov will be 31 when next season starts. Who knows how Groiny McGroinPants will hold up in his 30s.

I still think Grubauer is Avs goalie going forward and he has to have a weak season to change the course.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The Avs have not won a single game where the top line has not scored 2 goals or more. Either they show up and score a couple or the Avs lose. Even bad teams win games here and there without production from their top line.

Sucks for the Avs this season as the depth is crap but long term its great. If the 1st line can carry a team with barely any secondary scoring to the playoffs imagine what this team can do once they have depth.
This stat is just crazy. Avs need to find more reliable secondary scoring, I’d give Sodaberg better wigners ASAP and go from there.

Jost-Soda-Ghetto

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Varlamov will be 31 when next season starts. Who knows how Groiny McGroinPants will hold up in his 30s.

I still think Grubauer is Avs goalie going forward and he has to have a weak season to change the course.

They certainly aren’t playing Grabauer like they expect him to start next season. I would have expected more of a 50:50 split to make sure they know what they have.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

Well his course has been weak so far...

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Caps fan here. Just want to say good game. I really like the team you are building there. Your first line is fantastic even though they were shutdown tonight. Everyone knows about MacKinnon but Rantanen is probably the most underrated player in the league. He did get away with a highstick in this game.
You guys stole a couple of our goalies. I think Carly is pretty good. I'm not sold on Grubauer. Especially after we started him the fursdtv2 games if the playoffs last year and he choked.
I noticed a few Tom Wilson haters here. Tom didn't do anything in this game that deserved any hateful comments. This was a normal Tom Wilson game. He plays with alot of energy. He plays physical. He hits a lot. He forechecks hard. He can skate and plays the game at a high speed. He is good on the pk. He makes smart decisions with the puck. And he is tough. He had a couple points in tonight's game.
If you watch him every game you would see that he isn't a dirty player. He can be reckless at times when he hits. Its something he needs to work on.
But he isn't one of those players that uses his elbows or slewfoots, or spears or crosschecks. He is an old school type of player. There aren't many left because the league has become so soft. He is a pretty good hockey player. I wish people would cut him some slack.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
This board can get really hung up on some dumb things after losses. I thought the game had a lot of positives, outside of this trend they have of "one terrible period and two good ones."
Secondary looked great to me--no idea why people are complaining. Jost and Kerfoot showed smarts and intensity and I want to see them build on that going forward. Wilson and Soderberg produced.
Grubauer was also pretty good in my view, but I am not a goalie expert and what someone said earlier about poor lateral movement is something I'd like to see expounded upon. But the goals tonight... what's he supposed to do? "Oh but Varly wouldn't have let Ovechkin get wide open in the high slot!" Lol... yikes.
One day we will win in overtime, but meanwhile, I turned the game off last night thinking "ok - keep on chuggin."

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I think that Wilson plays a brand of hockey that is becoming extinct aka goon hockey and I think that is good for the NHL. I think a NHL team who plays sound offensive hockey is better then "goon" style hockey that Wilson plays but that's my opinion on him. For the most part I like the Caps and you guys have some great players and are set up for a long time with a solid core. I wish the Caps a great season except when you play the Avs in the SC finals. :popcorn:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I know which comments you speak of, and it's one hell of a leap to take his comments at face value where he merely stated he hasn't played in roughly two weeks to "expecting the starting job to be handed to him." That's a false narrative if I ever saw one.
It sure as hell seems to me that he feels like he has played well enough to get more playing time, when this couldn't be further from the truth.

4 out of 6 starts sub. 900 save percentage. And one of the two above .900 was a game right at .900. And quite frankly IMO .900 is not great. He has been below average in 4 out of 6 starts.

Honestly I like Varly, but I was excited when we got Grubauer because I thought it was going to be a solid competition and we would have two number 1s pushing each other. But right now Varly is blowing him out of the water. And the only people that don't want to see this are the Grubauer fan boys who thought he was going to make Varly expendable.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Caps fan here. Just want to say good game. I really like the team you are building there. Your first line is fantastic even though they were shutdown tonight. Everyone knows about MacKinnon but Rantanen is probably the most underrated player in the league. He did get away with a highstick in this game.
You guys stole a couple of our goalies. I think Carly is pretty good. I'm not sold on Grubauer. Especially after we started him the fursdtv2 games if the playoffs last year and he choked.
I noticed a few Tom Wilson haters here. Tom didn't do anything in this game that deserved any hateful comments. This was a normal Tom Wilson game. He plays with alot of energy. He plays physical. He hits a lot. He forechecks hard. He can skate and plays the game at a high speed. He is good on the pk. He makes smart decisions with the puck. And he is tough. He had a couple points in tonight's game.
If you watch him every game you would see that he isn't a dirty player. He can be reckless at times when he hits. Its something he needs to work on.
But he isn't one of those players that uses his elbows or slewfoots, or spears or crosschecks. He is an old school type of player. There aren't many left because the league has become so soft. He is a pretty good hockey player. I wish people would cut him some slack.

He's a dirty POS. Give me a break with "old school type". We've seen plenty of old-school guys (Deader, Footer) here in Colorado, and we've seen plenty of dirty POSs (Pepe, your very own Dale Hunter ...) as well. Tom Wilson does not belong in the first group. You lot that defends him are the same as the Pens fans who defended Cooke when that clown was on their team.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
My bad gang, was distracted last night and only got one bet in in time to help the team to OT. Was paying the toll for the other games though, we'll get this corrected asap.

In all seriousness, from the highlights it looks like Copley stole this one?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh and not like it made a ton of difference in the end but Barrie went up against Ovechkin 1-on-1 and BARRIE WON!!!!!

I'll take whatever victories I can...
Ehhhhhhhhhh, you missed the entire sequence where Barrie allowed Ovechkin to walk in and score? Barrie didn't win anything yesterday.

Cheers man! But you looking to defend Tommy Wilson is just a waste of time blud, he's hated by 99.9% of the rest of the league and nobody's going to change their opinion about him.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It sure as hell seems to me that he feels like he has played well enough to get more playing time, when this couldn't be further from the truth.

4 out of 6 starts sub. 900 save percentage. And one of the two above .900 was a game right at .900. And quite frankly IMO .900 is not great. He has been below average in 4 out of 6 starts.

Honestly I like Varly, but I was excited when we got Grubauer because I thought it was going to be a solid competition and we would have two number 1s pushing each other. But right now Varly is blowing him out of the water. And the only people that don't want to see this are the Grubauer fan boys who thought he was going to make Varly expendable.

Again, there's a distinction between wanting to play more and feeling entitled to play more. He's not an idiot, he knows who the better goalie has been, but the only way he's ever gonna prove his worth is to play. Of course the stupid gaps in the schedule played a big part in him not getting much playing time as well. I get the impression he is frustrated, and wouldn't want him to be...? But I don't get the impression at all that he's miffed about not getting more starts at this point.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ehhhhhhhhhh, you missed the entire sequence where Barrie allowed Ovechkin to walk in and score? Barrie didn't win anything yesterday.

Chill, dude, I was joking :laugh:

And no I didn't miss it. That goal wasn't just on Barrie. As Rycroft pointed out he stumbled on a night when for whatever reason all the Avs were losing edges on the ice. Jost opted to stick with his man and that wasn't a bad call either, Ovechkin just rifled the perfect shot...which is what he does. I blame Wilson's dumb turnover that started that transition in the first place more than I blame Barrie or anyone else for that goal. There's a reason Bednar bumped him down a line.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Cheers man! But you looking to defend Tommy Wilson is just a waste of time blud, he's hated by 99.9% of the rest of the league and nobody's going to change their opinion about him.
I know he is hated but in his defense he is not a dirty player. And if people actually watched him play instead of judging him on a couple of bad hits they would know that.
Be honest. Did Tom Wilson do anything in last nights game that was remotely close to being dirty?
I saw nothing dirty in this game by either team. If you saw Wilson play more you would see that the majority of games nothing happens.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know he is hated but in his defense he is not a dirty player. And if people actually watched him play instead of judging him on a couple of bad hits they would know that.
Be honest. Did Tom Wilson do anything in last nights game that was remotely close to being dirty?
I saw nothing dirty in this game by either team. If you saw Wilson play more you would see that the majority of games nothing happens.
Whocares man, you're wasting your time because 99.9% of the world thinks he's a cheapshot pile of **** and they're not going to change. He didn't do anything dirty, but that's because he just came off a 20 game suspension which was reduced. You think you're going to commit a crime after getting out of jail for five years of your life? Chances are not that high.

Chill, dude, I was joking :laugh:

And no I didn't miss it. That goal wasn't just on Barrie. As Rycroft pointed out he stumbled on a night when for whatever reason all the Avs were losing edges on the ice. Jost opted to stick with his man and that wasn't a bad call either, Ovechkin just rifled the perfect shot...which is what he does. I blame Wilson's dumb turnover that started that transition in the first place more than I blame Barrie or anyone else for that goal. There's a reason Bednar bumped him down a line.
Lol, you got me there - nice troll post. :laugh: Ovechkin is the best goalscorer in the game - it wasn't just a perfect shot - that's why you don't allow him all that space to come in and line up because he will score 9 out of 10 times there. It's like allowing Stephan Curray all the time in the world at the three point line.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I'm sorry but what?

I actually like the way he plays the game and wish the Avs had a guy like him who toed the line(And even occasionally crosses it) as much as he does. But without question he has had some dirty hits and thus is a dirty player.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
LOL imagine going to another team's board to defend your goon against a few random comments. Tom Wilson fans are nuts. No one even went too hard on him or paid much attention to him but the "haters" still needed to be lectured.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Again, there's a distinction between wanting to play more and feeling entitled to play more. He's not an idiot, he knows who the better goalie has been, but the only way he's ever gonna prove his worth is to play. Of course the stupid gaps in the schedule played a big part in him not getting much playing time as well. I get the impression he is frustrated, and wouldn't want him to be...? But I don't get the impression at all that he's miffed about not getting more starts at this point.
Agreed there is a difference. IMO it seemed like he thought he deserved more time, which at this point he doesn't. And honestly he seemed a little pissed that he hasn't gotten more time.

Maybe that's just how I took it, but if I'm right, that's not a good mentality to think your entitled to more time when you haven't earned it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad