GDT: Game 19 - Caps @ Avs - 7PM 11/16 - We Want Their Cup

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I agree, the guy is bad news. He just wants a starter role gifted to him, and Varly has thoroughly out played him and deserved his minutes. Get him resigned ASAP. Varly is an elite level guy, when healthy. Grubauer is not even when healthy.

Trade Grubauer to a starter hungry team ( Calgary, St Louis), and give Varly and Frank the reigns, we'll be better off in the long run.
Varly is an elite level goalie who has what, one elite season? Get real.

Also, Francouz is struggling in the AHL right now after a hot start. His numbers are pretty pedestrian.

Saying Grubauer was garbage tonight is the hottest take of all. The greatest goal scorer in NHL history skates through the slot and gets an uncontested shot high glove, and that’s on the goalie? Hmmm...

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Also, Francouz is struggling in the AHL right now after a hot start. His numbers are pretty pedestrian.

Saying Grubauer was garbage tonight is the hottest take of all. The greatest goal scorer in NHL history skates through the slot and gets an uncontested shot high glove, and that’s on the goalie? Hmmm...
Thought he should of had that one, yep Ovi is great. But it was savable, Varly makes that save no doubt in my mind.

And how can you not say that Grubauer didn't lose his net a bit on the OT goal, you could have driven a truck through the left side of the net. Yes Backstrom made a great shot, but it really didn't have to be that good, anything off the ground to the left would have scored.

You can say what you want but outside of one game Grubauer, has not looked like a number 1 at all. Yet still acts like he should be the undisputed #1, even though Varly has shown him up all season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Anyone who thinks Grubauer was bad tonight didn't watch the game or just saw what they wanted to see. Ridiculous to blame him for the loss tonight.

Avs weren't horrid tonight, but they weren't good either. Sloppy as all hell, weak on pucks, falling down, whiffing on shots/passes, bobbling pucks all night. Just not good. And despite getting the GTG I thought Wilson was atrocious. I'm glad Bednar finally shook things up and put Ghetto on the 2nd line and Wilson on the 3rd where he belongs.

I thought Jost and Kerfoot were possibly the best players for the Avs, but you're not gonna win very often when they are that's the case.

Bourque is so frickin' useless, and don't anyone ever tell me again he's a good penalty killer. He's not. He's willing to block shots, but the Avs are proving that a good PK does way more than that. They're collapsing way too much and going out of their way to block shots, sometimes even turning their back on the play or pulling themselves out of position entirely to do so. There was one instance where Soda in an earlier game would've had an easy clear but was turned completely sideways trying to block the shot and the opposition promptly got it back and scored a goal. At least Kamenev and Dries know to put sticks in the lane and force turnovers. The PK has been transcendently awful for a while now and they need to seriously address what's wrong, notably who they're using on it.

Kind of a frustrating night...I actually don't think the Capitals played nearly as well as the Avs made them look, but that's the way it goes sometimes, it's not like Washington is suddenly a bad team after winning it all last season. Rest and regroup for the road trip.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Thought he should of had that one, yep Ovi is great. But it was savable, Varly makes that save no doubt in my mind.

And how can you not say that Grubauer didn't lose his net a bit on the OT goal, you could have driven a truck through the left side of the net. Yes Backstrom made a great shot, but it really didn't have to be that good, anything off the ground to the left would have scored.

You can say what you want but outside of one game Grubauer, has not looked like a number 1 at all. Yet still acts like he should be the undisputed #1, even though Varly has shown him up all season.

What is this nonsense?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Almost 1/4 of the season played and the Avs are yet to win a single game where the 1st line does not score or take the game over. No pressure guys, either you win it for us or we lose.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

Grubauer sucks get real . Comparing the lifetime backup to Varly is ludicrous

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Anyone who thinks Grubauer was bad tonight didn't watch the game or just saw what they wanted to see. Ridiculous to blame him for the loss tonight.

Avs weren't horrid tonight, but they weren't good either. Sloppy as all hell, weak on pucks, falling down, whiffing on shots/passes, bobbling pucks all night. Just not good. And despite getting the GTG I thought Wilson was atrocious. I'm glad Bednar finally shook things up and put Ghetto on the 2nd line and Wilson on the 3rd where he belongs.

I thought Jost and Kerfoot were possibly the best players for the Avs, but you're not gonna win very often when they are that's the case.

Bourque is so frickin' useless, and don't anyone ever tell me again he's a good penalty killer. He's not. He's willing to block shots, but the Avs are proving that a good PK does way more than that. They're collapsing way too much and going out of their way to block shots, sometimes even turning their back on the play or pulling themselves out of position entirely to do so. There was one instance where Soda in an earlier game would've had an easy clear but was turned completely sideways trying to block the shot and the opposition promptly got it back and scored a goal. At least Kamenev and Dries know to put sticks in the lane and force turnovers. The PK has been transcendently awful for a while now and they need to seriously address what's wrong, notably who they're using on it.

Kind of a frustrating night...I actually don't think the Capitals played nearly as well as the Avs made them look, but that's the way it goes sometimes, it's not like Washington is suddenly a bad team after winning it all last season. Rest and regroup for the road trip.
So true. Losing Comeau hurts here alot because he and Soda were damn good together on that first PK unit. GBork is just not a good player and no way in hell should he ever be a regular. He has an awful stick. I also do not like a passive box. Last season I recall the PK was very aggressive taking away time and space. I dont see that that much this season.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Side note: Thought it was hilarious Kerfoot was all kinds of mad at the linesman for calling the Avs offside on one of his zone entries. I mean he was FURIOUS. Have to say it looked like the right call. He made an extra move right at the line and you can't do that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You didn't catch that shade he threw in his postgame about his lack of playing time? Sure seemed like he wasn't too happy about not getting tons of playing time.

I know which comments you speak of, and it's one hell of a leap to take his comments at face value where he merely stated he hasn't played in roughly two weeks to "expecting the starting job to be handed to him." That's a false narrative if I ever saw one.

Reactions: Ivan13

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Grubi only let in two in regulation tonight, that's enough to give the team a chance to win. Copley was insane tonight, but the real reason we made it easier on him was we couldn't get any shots through from the defense.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I’ll take the point. I’m glad we found a way to score a goal in the third. Copley looked almost unbeatable and was the reason we didn’t win outright imo. Ovie’s gonna Ovie. Just glad we got the point.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
We need to start calling Grubs "Auto Loss" just like we did with Giggy and Bernier, so that he can start stealing games like they did after being called that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Looooooool wtf. Varly makes that save no doubt in your mind? Not even the greatest goaltenders in history are making that save. Coming in with speed, cutting from left to right, wide open, perfect shot top corner. Who the hell stops that?

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I liked Grubauer tonight, can't understand how he gets blamed. I also liked to see Wilson score while being on Soda's line because he is not the right player to pair with Jost and Kerfoot. Hopefully Bednar finally realizes that. I don't know why Z didn't play yet, if it was because of his recent play Bednar needs to get his head checked. Bourque... I don't get what Bednar sees in him. Barrie's playing much better defensively as of late, with Z replacing Nemeth (this f***ing needs to happen asap) we might have a good defense again.
Caps are a well coached team and the ice seemed to be terrible again but this game should have been won. Good to see Ghetto back. He together with Jost and Kerfoot were a lot of fun to watch late in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->