Post-Game Talk: GAME #18 - Red Wings def. Canucks - 8-3 - Ouch.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What would you do about the coaching? You are obviously not a fan of AVs. Would you replace him in the summer or now? And what are your issues with Vigneault? I'm curious because you have some of the best analysis on this board and that is more interesting to me then the extreme emotional reactions that many here are known for.

I've always said the same thing about AV. He is a good systems coach and is good at providing a good overall framework for a team.

Where I question him is in the area of making adjustments. I think this has shown up in the playoffs and in games like today.

I would say that AV is a solid coach but maybe not a particulary clever one. There is advantages to this b/c he sticks with things but a disadvantage when this becomes stubborness when change is necessary.

Knowing when to change AV is difficult. Right now the team continues to do reasonably well (up to today at least) and so you want to maintain the momentum and continuity. However, sometimes the mid-season change works - like with LA last year. So right now it's a hard call.

I really don't know who would replace him - although not someone like Crawford or Wilson. Guy I might consider is Brent Sutter but I doubt he's available. To me, Sutter understands what it takes to win in this League, wrings the best out of his teams, knows the division and has kind of mellowed into a better coach. He gets instant respect and credibility and maybe provides a new dyanamic to the team. Not saying we should replace AV with Sutter (especailly if it's a knee jerk reaction to one game or even a series of games) but if you were thinking of letting AV go, Sutter might be the type of coach you are looking for.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
This literally just occurred to me.

Did anyone notice David Booth on the ice tonight?
I'm checking the box score now to see if he was playing.
I don't remember seeing him once.

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Everything I thought I knew about this team got blown to **** today.

Blowouts happen. End of a road trip + weird D-pairings + some really ****ing unlucky bounces + unbelievably sucky reffing + total lack of energy in the third.

I mean, it's not nice, but it's not some sort of total team collapse.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Disagree. Nothing weak got by him until after the game was already over. The worst skaters today led to the Wings getting 5 goals. Edler, Garrison, Alberts, Ballard all were horrendous.

I thoughtthe fourth goal was bad and one that he would want back. However, he was not the reason we lost this game. The whole team deserves blame

M A K A V E L I*

Goodbye goalie leaderboard. Maybe next year when talents are taken to South Beach.

1Q9gGKL.jpg

cc

Feb 28, 2002

I think he was out with the flu.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Out with the flu. Hopefully the flu bug was to blame for the poor defensive play and poor PK'ing in front of Luongo.

Wizeman*

I thoughtthe fourth goal was bad and one that he would want back. However, he was not the reason we lost this game. The whole team deserves blame

Luongo was the reason we lost the game. That and some pretty unlucky bounces to boot.

Even if Luongo was sharp, the wings get 3 goals so maybe it would have been a tie.

Karter

Feb 16, 2012
Sherbrooke
Well, if we're gunna suck might as well get it out of our system in the regular season.

It was a decent road trip otherwise.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You can't leave a goalie in there for 8 goals, it doesn't matter how many were his fault

Last edited:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Our team deserves a better fan base.

A loss is loss. The endless need to find somebody to blame for a irrelevant game in February is a waste of everybody's energy.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Real tough way to finish the game. The team battled well in the first but seemed to lose their energy after they got behind in the 2nd. It didn't help that the refs seemed to penalize any play that was un-Red Wing like.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Our team deserves a better fan base.

A loss is loss. The endless need to find somebody to blame for a irrelevant game in February is a waste of everybody's energy.

we should just overlook that fact that we have a horrible record against playoff teams?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
does it really matter if anybody played well in a 8-3 circus loss

poor goaltending, questionable coaching decisions, loose defence and an overall lethargic effort at the end of an otherwise successful road trip means there's plenty of blame to distribute equally

team will be back to normal with only 1 game against phoenix until hnic on saturday night

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
People trying to champion Luongo for a vezina are out of their minds he won't get nearly enough games to get the level that even Brian Elliot was at last year.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think it might be a little early to be dividing teams up into playoff and non-playoff categories. Detroit was in 10th place before today.

took last years playoff teams, I'm not say the sky is falling, but it is a bit concerning

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad