Post-Game Talk: GAME #18 - Red Wings def. Canucks - 8-3 - Ouch.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
"toughness" sure helped us in this game didn't it? WOO kassian!!

Gotta show everyone how tough you are! Can't let anyone make fun of you!

If he don't react people would've been on his case. It was a lose-lose situation for Kassian really. The chances of us scoring on that PP was slim to none anyways.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Looks like you are getting higher on the "fire AV bandwagon" :laugh:

Yep, it took long enough but dammit, I'm on the bandwagon full force. After defending AV for the length I have, his inability to adapt has become increasingly frustrating. This team is in denial that no adjustments need be made because "OMG, this almost exact same roster got to game seven!" Everyone else has figured us out and it is among the primary reasons our powerplay has been dead in the water.

That said, I could tolerate AV if we at least showed the door to our special teams coaches. Over a year of an abysmal powerplay and nothing has changed.

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Right. Let's not look at guys like Henrik Sedin who's our captain, or Daniel, Kesler, Burrows, etc. about this. Let's pile on our goalie for quitting because the team in front of him quit. :help:

Yeah, let's complain about Daniel who scored two goals and Henrik who assisted on both of them...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
With all the pent up energy in a lot of skaters, our defensive system is a mess with a new top four defender in Garrison. I'm not blaming him though...the only defender we've acquired since this system was implemented that has gotten it is Hamhuis.

I don't expect this game to be more then a blip, but it's a worst case scenario. Awful, lazy play that I'm (mercifully) not accustomed to seeing from this team.

Lu was bad on the last few goals (I missed the first period at work...damn customers), but the last three nails in the coffin were absolutely inexcusable.

A bad game, a horrible overall effort in periods two and three, let's call it what it was and move on.

Luongo's last 3 goals were pretty weak; however, the game was pretty much over at that point. Had he given up those goals in a 2-1 game or a 1-0 game I'd be pissed, but the team had packed it in long before he let those in so they didn't alter the end result in any way.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Yeah, Sedins did their part. Four points from the Sedins is good enough for a game, the rest of the team needs to contribute after that.

I'm not convinced that's true when they were also on the ice for the first 2GA. They basically broke even on the night. I didn't think they were outstanding by any stretch. Didn't do much to help on the PPs either.

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington
I'm not convinced that's true when they were also on the ice for the first 2GA. They basically broke even on the night. I didn't think they were outstanding by any stretch. Didn't do much to help on the PPs either.

Those first two goals were utter nonsense bounces. Real stupid goals that no one could help.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
In addition, you have to question AV leaving Luongo in. Pretty obvious he was off so why not bring in the rested Schneider. It was the best chance they had to win the game. Instead he leaves Luongo in to get lit up. AV is a very questionable bench coach

What would you do about the coaching? You are obviously not a fan of AVs. Would you replace him in the summer or now? And what are your issues with Vigneault? I'm curious because you have some of the best analysis on this board and that is more interesting to me then the extreme emotional reactions that many here are known for.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
They played great in the 1st period. Didn't hear from them again for the rest of the game. Outplayed by Detroit's top 2 forwards.

As opposed to Luongo, who was good in none of the periods...?

Today was an awful game for Luongo. The majority of the team and the coaches are right there with him, but trying to put lipstick on a pig is a no-win for anyone.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
As opposed to Luongo, who was good in none of the periods...?

Today was an awful game for Luongo. The majority of the team and the coaches are right there with him, but trying to put lipstick on a pig is a no-win for anyone.

Hard to blame a goalie when pucks get deflected in by his own team, or on goals where he's screened by his own team and the puck gets deflected. The defense hung him out to dry, but he did let in a few bad goals (in the 3rd). I wouldn't say he stood on his head, but I wouldn't say he was good in none of the period either.

If anyone deserves to be the goat of the game it's the entire defensive group. They were downright brutal.

M A K A V E L I*

The defense hung him out to dry, but he did let in a few bad goals (in the 3rd)..

The game was already over before he let in the 2 or so bad goals. The only thing Luongo (and AV) ended up doing is screwing up his GAA/SV% long after the game was out of reach.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hard to blame a goalie when pucks get deflected in by his own team, or on goals where he's screened by his own team and the puck gets deflected. The defense hung him out to dry, but he did let in a few bad goals (in the 3rd). I wouldn't say he stood on his head, but I wouldn't say he was good in none of the period either.

If anyone deserves to be the goat of the game it's the entire defensive group. They were downright brutal.

I'm not saying his defensive groups weren't to blame for some of the goals. But there were most definitely a few that were completely on him, and they were goals that he would have stopped on most other nights.

It's not correct to state this loss is all on Luongo, but it's not correct to say he was blameless, either.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
not really. Canucks are 3rd in the conference and tied for 4th in the league

And having four basement dwellers in the division doesn't help with that? I'm not saying that the Canucks are a bad team, but beating up on lesser competition all year long probably doesn't benefit much more than their point totals.

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010

4 points, broke even in an 8-3 loss - I'd say they did their part more than Luongo did. Before everyone jumps on me, I'm not saying Luongo is the reason for the loss, but he played just as poorly as the worst skaters today.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
4 points, broke even in an 8-3 loss - I'd say they did their part more than Luongo did. Before everyone jumps on me, I'm not saying Luongo is the reason for the loss, but he played just as poorly as the worst skaters today.

Disagree. Nothing weak got by him until after the game was already over. The worst skaters today led to the Wings getting 5 goals. Edler, Garrison, Alberts, Ballard all were horrendous.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Absolute no show in the third. This is what things may look like right now if we don't get great goaltending. Goal keeping has been the one thing that has averted other debacles. Really ugly effort top to bottom and some very questionable decisions by AV. You wonder if flu might be running thru the team. Reffing per usual was brutal and one-sided but ultimately not really a factor

The Good

Sedins - about all we had, when they were rested in the third the roof caved in

Higgins - virtually alone on his line doing anything.

The Bad

Hansen - brutally mishandling the puck. Hasn't been right since the suspensions. Thank cement head Shanahan here

Kassain - got totally screwed over by the refs but showed no discipline. On the play was terrible defensively and again skating himself out of position. Looks lost.

Volpatti - contributing nothing. Looks like game speed is too fast for him. Needs to start throwing his weight around but just not getting there to do so

Raymond - maybe his worst game of the season. Given the drop off here I would say candidate for flu or something.

The Ugly

Luongo - and there goes the GAA. Way too deep and down way too early. Got into positions where he simply couldn't respond if the puck changed directions. Looked very bad. Terrible mess in front of him didn't help

Kesler - limped off at one point and you hope his hip isn't the problem. So many fly bys and loose checking. His defensive work is just brutal and he just doesn't appear able to get there

Garrison - after a couple of good games went back to looking totally erractic in his play. Stick checking around the goal, showing no poise or touch with the puck. Just beating the puck to death at times. Wasn't the only defenseman having problems and lots of problems originated with the forewards. However, I thought Garrison had the worst problems handling the pressure and was very bad on the pk. End up back in his crease and never played the man

Other comments

Defense in general was a gong show. Realy have to question the game plan and all the movement of the defeners. Just seemed to have good combo in Edler and - Tanev and then break that up. Also they had Garrison finally playing well with Ballard and then go away from that. Bieksa goes out and everything has to be totally rearranged. Well sure as hell didn't work out.

Also if Bieksa is this critical to maintain some glue in the team's effort, fans better reconsider getting on his case.

In addition, you have to question AV leaving Luongo in. Pretty obvious he was off so why not bring in the rested Schneider. It was the best chance they had to win the game. Instead he leaves Luongo in to get lit up. AV is a very questionable bench coach

End of road trip but break down like this is really unacceptable.

Is it just me or is Shorthouse just too cute and mamby-bamby. Everything seems so predicable (especailly his banter with Garrett) and he shows a distinct inability to call a spade a spade. Seems so over concerned about not being called a homer that he bends over backwards to defend obvious miscalls. Find him teribly bland and no where near as good as Ball. No big deal I guess but wonder what others think.

Again reffing not in the end a factor but how bad does the officiating have to get before the fans demand that it get cleaned up. Putting someone as dumb as Shanahan in charge was bound to lead to problems. LaRue is a disaster.

Alberts - scrambly but did show a little speed in moving the puck up. Given that he hasn't played in eons thought he was not all that bad.

I think Shorthouse is a terrific guy - there's absolutely no doubt about that.

Professionally though, I completely agree with you. I find that he's very boring as a play by play guy. He has absolutely no spice to his calls. He adds nothing to the game. Even the Wolves play by play announcer puts Shorthouse to shame IMO.

Again, good guy, very bland announcer.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

I didn't think they were bad but it's not like they dominated the game.

chopkins

Super Bowl Champs
Aug 7, 2009
Vancouver
AV should have pulled Luongo. Luongo was on track for a Venzina, doubt his chances recover from this in the shortened season. He'd need a 4 game shutout streak to make up for what just happened.

Well, Luongo is due for another 3 game shutout streak. It's been awhile. ;)

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Oddly enough this loss doesn't bother me, at least not as much as the Chicago one.

Defense was bad because apparently Bowness thinks all the pairs need to change and it was the end of a long road trip. Luongo was off, and sometimes it would be nice if the team could bail out the goalie instead of always being the other way around.

Rest up boys and just forget this loss.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Disagree. Nothing weak got by him until after the game was already over. The worst skaters today led to the Wings getting 5 goals. Edler, Garrison, Alberts, Ballard all were horrendous.

Was the game still in question when it was three all? Ballard was stupid and played terrible. Luongo melted down after the third goal first two he had little chance after that he looked very shaky. Lu has been great this season but he does have meltdowns today was one

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
AV should have pulled Luongo. Luongo was on track for a Venzina, doubt his chances recover from this in the shortened season. He'd need a 4 game shutout streak to make up for what just happened.

Aye. That was easily the most disappointing aspect of the game for me. Unless we ride Luongo for a considerable length of time, we just witnessed any chance he had of contending for the Vezina evaporate. Granted, Lu needs to be held partially accountable for his own errors. He gave up around the 4th or 5th goal, which would have kept his stats at least respectable.

1.45 to 2.11 in all of one game. He would have to play above and beyond to repair this damage.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
We can call for AV's head until we're blue in the face, it ain't happening when the Canucks are leading the division (by default though, really. 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the west are in the NW). No GM would stick their neck out like that.

Unfortunately, you are correct. But we are beginning to see this team for what it is; living in denial. Unless something is done and actually acknowledge teams have figured us out and adapt accordingly. I do not see us contending for the cup again. It is too early to say but our lack of push back and easily fractured psyche is just not up to par.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad