Post-Game Talk: GAME #18 - Red Wings def. Canucks - 8-3 - Ouch.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Im wondering if we miss malhotra. I went through a phase last year when we had phalsson where I did not want him, or think we needed him.

Then this year after he missed the san jose game (our pk was bad), and before the announced IR placement, we were struggling on faceoff's and pk.

But i guess if he really is a hazard to himself nothing can be done. Hitchcock seemed to agree with gillis assessment as well. But I am expecting another team to pick him up next season and consider him fine to play.

Of course it could be me doing a typical canuck fanbase and overrating our players after they are gone.

I also feel our PK in general is to stagnant, the kings are very aggressive and i like there box out formation, whoever is closest to the opposing teams player with the puck attacks, and moves back into position if its passed, then the next guy attacks who is closest to the puck, rinse and repeat. Constantly puts pressure on other teams pk to make a move, not have time to setup. We do a similar setup, but we dont box out and attack. Against a skilled team like detroit guys like zetterberg and datsyuk have way to much time to think and to much room.

Last edited:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Is it wrong to blame referees here? I don't think it is. The fact that the Canucks sank to the referee's level in this game was not good, they played as bad as refs called the game, but the referees should never be there in the first place.

I mean yeah, you can say that the bounces weren't there, PK was crap, PP was crap, the defense in general was crap, and it's true. The Canucks could've played a lot better in many areas.

But, IMO, it looked like the team totally deflated and got frustrated after those 3 phantom calls that led to goals in the second period. That's not the ideal mental toughness you want from a team but when it's the last game of a very tough road trip and the team is fatigued both mentally and physically and fragile in general, calls like that can really make or break a game. This time these absolutely horrendous calls screwed the team over in the worst possible way.

It really sucks when a third party screws you over that blatantly. Anyway, I thought that Edler and Hamhuis had solid games. Tanev was good too. Ballard, Garrison and Alberts on the other hand had massive problems. After Sedins and Higgins, the whole forward group was garbage.

timorousme

luongod
Apr 3, 2008
It WAS the fans' fault, I knew it as soon as I saw the folks in GM Place booing Luongo and cheering when he got pulled in that meaningless game against Anaheim, after we'd already clinched first overall. You clinched first overall and boo your starting goalie, that's the attitude our fans have, it's disgraceful! Soon as I saw that I knew we would be out in the first round, can't win with that sort of thing going on, the negativity, the black cloud, the cursed atmosphere, it was fanbase negativity and failure to deal with losing in the Finals in a psychologically healthy way, that was what caused it, we offended the hockey gods. Instead of treating the loss to Boston as a preliminary, provisional success, a step in the right direction, another obstacle overcome, too many of us have let it get into our heads and it is affecting the atmosphere surrounding this team. Get some positive thinking and proper fandom into your brains and stop dragging it all down.

You ever hear the phrase, "circle the wagons"? We have a lot of enemies out there, lot of people who can't stand the Canucks, y'all can't tell me you haven't noticed it. Now how are we supposed to defeat all those external enemies, when our own ranks are filled with malcontents, naysayers and straight-up traitors? Ripping on the team in the circumstances of the past five or so years is giving comfort to the enemy and cannot, must not be tolerated. Anybody who is not going to pull on their oar properly needs to be thrown overboard. THAT is how the Canucks will win.

yesssssssssss

the whining underbelly can take a time machine to the 80s and see how they like being Canuck fans then

stop looking this beautiful gift horse in the mouth

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Wow just saw that recap on replay. Good thing I didn't watch the game, would have been more pissed right now. God all those goals on Luongo, he is just freaking terrible, game 6 in 2011 SCF again.

Also why does the boxscore say David Booth scratched for this game?

Last edited:

Wizeman*

Wow just saw that game on replay. Good thing I didn't watch the game, would have been more pissed right now. God all those goals on Luongo, he is just freaking terrible, game 6 in 2011 SCF again.

I just watched the whole condensed game twice to analyze each goal.

1)The first goal was a fluke. Bounced off Ballard. If Luongo was 'hot' it hits him. Since this was not his night, it goes in the goal.

2) the second goal was likewise a screen seeing eye shot that is tipped down and into the goal. The funny thing is, that if its not tipped, it goes in the top corner. But when its tipped it goes down. Again, if Luongo is hot, it somehow hits his glove or pad. Hes not, and it goes in.

3) The third goal is different. It is a shot any goalie can stop and Luongo does so. But his rebound control was awful. He doesnt even try to deflect it to the corner he just rebounds it right back to the same guy who then passes it on to the side and in it goes.

A Luongo playing well never allows that rebound straight back out to the same shooter. It was weak. Not terrible, but not a world class goalie move.

4) This goal was terrible. He saves an easy shot. Goes to put his glove on it and the guy pokes it into the goal. It was a brain fault. Fortunately for Luongo, the ref had blown the whistle and it didnt count.

4) This goal wasnt bad. Wings set it up in the slot and Zetterburg slams it home to the right of luongo . If Luongo was on his game, he gets it with his pad. Since this is not his night, It goes in before his pad shoots out to block it.

5) This was not his fault. Datsyuk hits it in with a high stick .Doesnt count.

5) This goal bad positioning. This is lazy Luongo who just flops on the ice and cannot move across his crease. He flops on his belly and the guy just moves the puck around and has a wide open net. A Luongo playing well does not fall on his face, but instead moves across to block the second shot. Bad effort

6) Now Luongo is at the point where hes been around the block in his career. The refs have called some bad calls, hes had some unlucky bounces, and hes not playing well. This is the Luongo who just melts down. The goal was not even AHL quality.

7) If there was any real time left in the game, Schneider would have gone in, but since there is such little time left AV hangs him out to dry and leaves him in. This shot was a slow slapper from the blue line that Ballard tips. But he tips it so far out that any ECHL goalie would have adjusted to it but Luongo doesnt care about saving it anymore. Meltdown city.

8) He goes into the butterfly and the guy just shoots it between his legs. Not the worst goal in the world but its obvious he could care less anymore.

I would have pulled luongo after the 4th goal as it was obvious he was not catching any breaks and not having a good night. After that he just melted down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad