Post-Game Talk: GAME #18 - Red Wings def. Canucks - 8-3 - Ouch.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
Nice job had me fooled for a moment, the 2,400ish retweets in that short of time were a good giveaway though.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Neither do I. I think Tanev is the only Dman to come into this system and acclimatize almost immediately. Beyond him, there's been a slew of players that haven't.

Hamhuis was reasonably quick to adapt, and Rome had it figured out after a couple of months. But the other list is definitely longer.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
KIKsfdu.jpg

you got me to actually check :laugh:

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
The problem with firing AV is who will we replace him with? Arneil? Ruff? Someone else that gets fired from a bottom feeder?

Not to mention the inherent difficulties in implementing a new head coach and system in the middle of a condensed season. It's just not going to happen.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think we were cursed when they put up the info saying wings 0-20 on the PP vs vancouver last year at the start of the wings PP in the 2nd. wholesale destruction since that point.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Absolute no show in the third. This is what things may look like right now if we don't get great goaltending. Goal keeping has been the one thing that has averted other debacles. Really ugly effort top to bottom and some very questionable decisions by AV. You wonder if flu might be running thru the team. Reffing per usual was brutal and one-sided but ultimately not really a factor

The Good

Sedins - about all we had, when they were rested in the third the roof caved in

Higgins - virtually alone on his line doing anything.

The Bad

Hansen - brutally mishandling the puck. Hasn't been right since the suspensions. Thank cement head Shanahan here

Kassain - got totally screwed over by the refs but showed no discipline. On the play was terrible defensively and again skating himself out of position. Looks lost.

Volpatti - contributing nothing. Looks like game speed is too fast for him. Needs to start throwing his weight around but just not getting there to do so

Raymond - maybe his worst game of the season. Given the drop off here I would say candidate for flu or something.

The Ugly

Luongo - and there goes the GAA. Way too deep and down way too early. Got into positions where he simply couldn't respond if the puck changed directions. Looked very bad. Terrible mess in front of him didn't help

Kesler - limped off at one point and you hope his hip isn't the problem. So many fly bys and loose checking. His defensive work is just brutal and he just doesn't appear able to get there

Garrison - after a couple of good games went back to looking totally erractic in his play. Stick checking around the goal, showing no poise or touch with the puck. Just beating the puck to death at times. Wasn't the only defenseman having problems and lots of problems originated with the forewards. However, I thought Garrison had the worst problems handling the pressure and was very bad on the pk. End up back in his crease and never played the man

Other comments

Defense in general was a gong show. Realy have to question the game plan and all the movement of the defeners. Just seemed to have good combo in Edler and - Tanev and then break that up. Also they had Garrison finally playing well with Ballard and then go away from that. Bieksa goes out and everything has to be totally rearranged. Well sure as hell didn't work out.

Also if Bieksa is this critical to maintain some glue in the team's effort, fans better reconsider getting on his case.

In addition, you have to question AV leaving Luongo in. Pretty obvious he was off so why not bring in the rested Schneider. It was the best chance they had to win the game. Instead he leaves Luongo in to get lit up. AV is a very questionable bench coach

End of road trip but break down like this is really unacceptable.

Is it just me or is Shorthouse just too cute and mamby-bamby. Everything seems so predicable (especailly his banter with Garrett) and he shows a distinct inability to call a spade a spade. Seems so over concerned about not being called a homer that he bends over backwards to defend obvious miscalls. Find him teribly bland and no where near as good as Ball. No big deal I guess but wonder what others think.

Again reffing not in the end a factor but how bad does the officiating have to get before the fans demand that it get cleaned up. Putting someone as dumb as Shanahan in charge was bound to lead to problems. LaRue is a disaster.

Alberts - scrambly but did show a little speed in moving the puck up. Given that he hasn't played in eons thought he was not all that bad.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Usual over-reaction.

This team had allowed 29 goals in our last 16 games.

In the last game of a wicked tough road trip (4 games in 6 nights all against likely playoff teams) we cracked and got run over in the last 30 minutes. It happens.

Didn't help either that the defense pairings had to be restructured as a result of an injury to a key player.

1 game in the next 6 days is exactly what the doctor ordered. Not much to worry about here.

Every team, no matter how good, will be blown out a couple times every year. No exceptions.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
"toughness" sure helped us in this game didn't it? WOO kassian!!

Gotta show everyone how tough you are! Can't let anyone make fun of you!

Hielo Grande

Nov 7, 2007
vallarta
We can call for AV's head until we're blue in the face, it ain't happening when the Canucks are leading the division (by default though, really. 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the west are in the NW). No GM would stick their neck out like that.

not really. Canucks are 3rd in the conference and tied for 4th in the league

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I've calmed down a bit. Considering it was 8 GA I don't think Luongo played that badly. Might be the record for most deflection goals scored in a goal, when they weren't deflections it was red wings skating onto rebounds unopposed. Luongo must have walked under a ladder while a black cat was crossing.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
I think this loss is good for the team. Year in and out this team is exposed for relying too heavily on our first line and apecial teams. This team needs 2nd line offensive wingers. David Booth and Zack Kassian are not the answer (at least not both on the second line). We have the assets, cap space and roster spots for impact wingers to come in.

David Booth and Luongo alone account for 9 million in cap space.

It's up to MG to find a trade to bring us some legit secondary scoring and maybe an upgrade on defense. And as well as Ballard is playing, he is the most expendable.

Hope luo deal brings in a good piece and soon.

We aren't in big trouble unless management believes we can stay with our current roster.

M A K A V E L I*

Again reffing not in the end a factor but how bad does the officiating have to get before the fans demand that it get cleaned up. Putting someone as dumb as Shanahan in charge was bound to lead to problems. LaRue is a disaster.

Reffing wasn't the end factor in the loss being a blowout, but it was a major factor in the Canucks going from a 3-2 lead to being down 5-3.

Detroit crosschecks their goalie and knocks him down. Kassian gets called and they score on the PP.

Weise gets called for a hit to the head, which was nowhere near the head. They score on the PP.

The refs gets his feelings hurt and calls an unsportsmanlike penalty stemming from his own mistake and they get another PP goal. If you make a dumb call like that, swallow your pride and take a couple of F words being thrown your way.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
With all the pent up energy in a lot of skaters, our defensive system is a mess with a new top four defender in Garrison. I'm not blaming him though...the only defender we've acquired since this system was implemented that has gotten it is Hamhuis.

I don't expect this game to be more then a blip, but it's a worst case scenario. Awful, lazy play that I'm (mercifully) not accustomed to seeing from this team.

Lu was bad on the last few goals (I missed the first period at work...damn customers), but the last three nails in the coffin were absolutely inexcusable.

A bad game, a horrible overall effort in periods two and three, let's call it what it was and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad