Post-Game Talk: GAME #18 - Red Wings def. Canucks - 8-3 - Ouch.

Karter

Feb 16, 2012
Sherbrooke
does it really matter if anybody played well in a 8-3 circus loss

poor goaltending, questionable coaching decisions, loose defence and an overall lethargic effort at the end of an otherwise successful road trip means there's plenty of blame to distribute equally

team will be back to normal with only 1 game against phoenix until hnic on saturday night

You're right.

We gotta look forward to the future.

image.php

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
AV- "We got two great goalies, let's just let Luongo get lit up"

logic

He pulls goalies when they are off their game. Obviously AV blamed the lack of defensive play and bad deflections rather than the goaltender. Put Schneider in for the 3rd, and he still lets in 2 or 3 goals. That's just how bad they played in front of their goaltender tonight.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He pulls goalies when they are off their game. Obviously AV blamed the lack of defensive play and bad deflections rather than the goaltender. Put Schneider in for the 3rd, and he still lets in 2 or 3 goals. That's just how bad they played in front of their goaltender tonight.

regardless whether or not AV thought Luongo was not to blame or not, you just can't leave your goalie in there for 8 goals, just pull him and let Cory take some of the load. Luongo is a competitive guy and wants the position, but no goalie truly wants to be out there for the entirity of this mess

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
regardless whether or not AV thought Luongo was not to blame or not, you just can't leave your goalie in there for 8 goals, just pull him and let Cory take some of the load. Luongo is a competitive guy and wants the position, but no goalie truly wants to be out there for the entirity of this mess

5-3 going into the 3rd with a full 2 min PP to start the period is still a winnable/tie-able game. Once it got out of hand it didn't matter, the game was a write-off.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
we should just overlook that fact that we have a horrible record against playoff teams?

Not even 20 games into the season, records against "playoff" teams is trivial. Why does it even matter?

Anybody with any sort of sensibility would realize that this was the 4th game in 6 nights on the tail end of a road trip, and a drop off in play was expected.

For the team to go 10-4-4 with the injuries we had, and to take into account the other variables, is as best case scenario as anybody could have come up with. That's a 110 point pace.

To still find fans picking the team apart, is just ridiculous. The team is terrific.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver

Yeah, I was a bit surprised he was left in. It was obvious that things weren't going well for anyone, so why not shake things up after 5.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well that sucked. I really hope the whole team is down with the flu because otherwise we're in deep ****.

--It blows me away how people can point to Luongo in this one. With the dmen deflecting pucks, screening him and just generally playing brain-dead hockey in front of him, he got hung out to dry big-time.
--Worst defensive outing I've seen since...well, the Chicago game. Was left utterly dumbfounded with what I was seeing all through the game. Lost count of the number of bad passes, bad clearing attempts and people losing their checks.
--Offensively we're still in good shape with the Sedins rounding into dominant form again, but they can't do it alone.
--Special teams were, of course, garbage. Ballard and Garrison were staring at the puck while Wings were skating around them at will.
--Alberts was terrible, but then so was everyone else.
--Anyone remember when AV was a defensive coach? Neither do they, apparently. It's like someone came along in the night and did the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind thing with them and erased any memory of how to play in their own end. Entire team plays like nobody has the slightest idea what to do in the defensive zone or how to exit it safely under pressure. Breakouts are a complete cluster****, opposing forwards are walking out from the corner to the net at will, nobody knows which man to take or when, and I'm sick of seeing that over and over game after game.
--This team's showing all the signs of having worn out their coaching staff. Chronic problems are festering, opposing teams have figured them out and nothing's being done to fix the problem, discipline's terrible...I'd be hopping on the FIRE AV!! bandwagon if I thought there was a better replacement out there.

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Aye. That was easily the most disappointing aspect of the game for me. Unless we ride Luongo for a considerable length of time, we just witnessed any chance he had of contending for the Vezina evaporate. Granted, Lu needs to be held partially accountable for his own errors. He gave up around the 4th or 5th goal, which would have kept his stats at least respectable.

1.45 to 2.11 in all of one game. He would have to play above and beyond to repair this damage.

He was not going to get the Vezina playing around half the games anyway.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Not even 20 games into the season, records against "playoff" teams is trivial. Why does it even matter?

Anybody with any sort of sensibility would realize that this was the 4th game in 6 nights on the tail end of a road trip, and a drop off in play was expected.

For the team to go 10-4-4 with the injuries we had, and to take into account the other variables, is as best case scenario as anybody could have come up with. That's a 110 point pace.

To still find fans picking the team apart, is just ridiculous. The team is terrific.

All season we are going to be playing a lot of games in a short time, can't be an excuse, every other team is going through it as well. We are a very good team, but beating up on the Flames, Oilers, Wild and Avs isn't exactly hard for a top level team. Detroit didn't have a completely healthy roster and had AHL players in their lineup and they were on a back-to-back.

Again I'm not saying we need to change anything right now, it's just concerning how we have struggled against good teams

RezChi

Feb 24, 2013
Vancouver
I didn't watch the game much but did Kassian actually get an unsportsmanlike conduct or was it the bench and that he sat for it? Also what for?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I didn't watch the game much but did Kassian actually get an unsportsmanlike conduct or was it the bench and that he sat for it? Also what for?

pretty sure he got it, he was yelling at the ref while changing (about a non-call on Raymond or something?). Our bench was yelling as well so it could of been either

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
What was AV's rationale for leaving in Luongo after it got to 7?

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
All season we are going to be playing a lot of games in a short time, can't be an excuse, every other team is going through it as well. We are a very good team, but beating up on the Flames, Oilers, Wild and Avs isn't exactly hard for a top level team. Detroit didn't have a completely healthy roster and had AHL players in their lineup and they were on a back-to-back.

Again I'm not saying we need to change anything right now, it's just concerning how we have struggled against good teams

We've lost in regulation to San Jose, Anaheim, Dallas, and Detroit. In 18 games. That's not concerning.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Canucks usually have atleast one solid throttling per season that helps them get focused.

We are not halfway through the season yet.

When the team solves their defensive kinks, they should be good to go. Kesler will be fine as well. He's still rounding into form.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It's all good. This kind of losses can have positive effects, nothing wrong with having one during the regular season if one is not in a desperate situation (which is not the case).

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We've lost in regulation to San Jose, Anaheim, Dallas, and Detroit. In 18 games. That's not concerning.

You may be content with it, this team can play better, although withholding judgement on the team and individual players until Kesler and Booth are back 100% and we get at least a half season under our belt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad