Post-Game Talk: GAME #18 - Red Wings def. Canucks - 8-3 - Ouch.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It happens after every loss, blowout or not. Gets pretty tiring hearing how AV/Bowness/Brown need to be fired, Luongo/Schneider need to be traded, etc.

Ok, but this is the game that you should not be curbing it IMO.

That's not how it really works though. The puck was going on a predictable path that was easy to save. When Ballard deflected it then it acquired some spin and dipped at the very end. It's hard to make a save on that and that's why you don't put your stick in the way unless you know you can get all of it.

There's a reason Ballard was less than pleased with himself after that. He most certainly did **** up.

Nah, I think it was far enough out that he could have reacted to the shift, or not go down early at all.

It's the staring at Ballard afterwards that really gets me. Luongo made sure Ballard felt like crap so as to not put anything on himself, and everything on his teammate. Poor practice there. It was well enough out so that it was debatable who's fault it was, but not to Luongo.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
I dont understand why we spend 10m on goalies if we hang em out to dry like that. I thought the idea was you could put either one in if another was struggling.

oh well, #AVlogic

Well, and the notion of having two legit number ones is fine, but it seem to me the quality of forwards and defensive depth are suffering for it. Hansen is a nice player, and Higgins looked pretty good this afternoon, but neither is a second line winger.

But they have the luxury of muddling through the regular season in the Northwest while they decide how to address these issues.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It's easy to point at Luongo and say he had a bad game (which is true, he did), but the blame doesn't belong entirely at his feet. From the coaches to the players, pretty much everyone was off today. Just a pitiful effort and a brutal exhibition of execution by every Canuck not named "Sedin".

Chalk this one up to a bad day and move on to the next one. Hopefully Bieksa is ready to go - while I thought Alberts had an OK game, the disruption if the D pairings was clearly a problem.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Well, and the notion of having two legit number ones is fine, but it seem to me the quality of forwards and defensive depth are suffering for it. Hansen is a nice player, and Higgins looked pretty good this afternoon, but neither is a second line winger.

But they have the luxury of muddling through the regular season in the Northwest while they decide how to address these issues.
This is why they need Raymond and Booth to actually play like second line wingers on a regular basis instead of once in a while.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
It's easy to point at Luongo and say he had a bad game (which is true, he did), but the blame doesn't belong entirely at his feet. From the coaches to the players, pretty much everyone was off today. Just a pitiful effort and a brutal exhibition of execution by every Canuck not named "Sedin".

Chalk this one up to a bad day and move on to the next one. Hopefully Bieksa is ready to go - while I thought Alberts had an OK game, the disruption if the D pairings was clearly a problem.

Yup.

Luongo was a sieve, but he was playing behind 16 pylons and the twins.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
I wouldn't play defense Infront of luongo either. You don't show up your defenseman like he did tonight with the rolling of the eyes head turn and poor body language. Show some damn leadership. That's my biggest gripe with luongo tonight, not the fact he had a bad game because bad games happen.

what an overreaction... after the game he said "when you let in that many it's embarrassing, i wasn't good enough"

it's not like he pulled a miller or anything this game, half of the goals were fluke deflections which produced the immediate reaction, the other half was a product of poor goaltending which he owned up to after the game

StringerBell

Where do you watch the postgame interviews? Would have liked to see AV's tonight.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
We can call for AV's head until we're blue in the face, it ain't happening when the Canucks are leading the division (by default though, really. 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the west are in the NW). No GM would stick their neck out like that.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
THE FUNNY PART IS.. Ehrhoff's cap hit is only at 4 MILLION while Garrison is at 4.6 Million!

Tell me who cares more about the money... tell me who's more proven, and get more facts before you bable nonsense.

Ehrhoff got 10 million his first year in Buffalo...

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
No it doesn't. Maybe in your fantasy league it does but not in the NHL where GMs have access to stats we can't even dream of and evaluate things on a much more in depth level.

The single biggest knock against Luongo is his tendency to let in a flurry of goals in a short period of time, many of them weak.

This season he was showing a new attitude, more relaxed and many thought he had put those "meltdowns" behind him.

Showing people that he's still capable of "meltdowns" would no doubt put questions into the mind of any GM thinking of trading for him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Couldn't be worse than Garrison on hte PP tonight.

That was just horrible to watch.

Everyone was terrible on the PP, don't see how singling out Garrison is fair. He wasnt good but I don't think it's fair. Garrison also hasn't had much time on the PP, so it's hard to be comfortable on it.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Ehrhoff wouldn't. Everyone was in love with Ehrhoff's shot and ability on the PP and forget how often he became Errorhoff.

Canucks miss the stability of Salo.

Salo didn't really provide any of that stability last year. He seems to be doing well in Tampa but they also utilize their D completely differently. I think a big part of our D struggles is due to Bowness and not so much the personnel.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Ehrhoff wouldn't. Everyone was in love with Ehrhoff's shot and ability on the PP and forget how often he became Errorhoff.

Canucks miss the stability of Salo.

I think we miss both of them. One was the guy that ran our offense.. the offense that led the league in our Stanley Cup run... also the number 1 Power play...

Salo was our rock. Just a reliable guy who you could always count on.

Garrison????!??! Ballard!?!?! :shakehead

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
This game should be a reminder to everyone that this team is no longer at the top of the NHL.

Still a good team but unless something changes, this team is done 2nd round at best.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Everyone was terrible on the PP, don't see how singling out Garrison is fair. He wasnt good but I don't think it's fair. Garrison also hasn't had much time on the PP, so it's hard to be comfortable on it.

Those two passes that he missed by a mile stood out.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Salo didn't really provide any of that stability last year. He seems to be doing well in Tampa but they also utilize their D completely differently. I think a big part of our D struggles is due to Bowness and not so much the personnel.

There has to be some accountability for how guys like Ballard and Garrison can come into this system and struggle mightily, and it doesn't all fall at the feet of the players. Either the pro scouting is deficient, the coaching is, or they're on completely different pages entirely. Whatever the reason, I don't like it.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
This game should be a reminder to everyone that this team is no longer at the top of the NHL.

Still a good team but unless something changes, this team is done 2nd round at best.

Oh we'll still hover over the top... but were already past the mountain peak and descending slowly to the abyss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad