Post-Game Talk: Game 18 - Bruins lay a brontosaurus egg in Manhattan - NYR 6 Boston 2 F

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Utter nonsense.
LOL....Hey Bonvie.....How they doing without Krejci the last five games.....You said that was nonsense. You talk a lot, but yet, i never see you actually explain anything......Like i said....Krejci, the most valuable Bruin since 2010.....If you have a point....Explain it instead of commenting without any substance....

Reactions: DKH

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This is not the college Bjork

he’s like the roadrunner his feet are just churning to fast and he’s using his 40 seconds of energy Helter skelter

If I had one complaint of Cassidy as an arm chair GM it’s what they are doing with Bjork

I’d stick him at LW on one of bottom 6 and leave him there

as for Frederic he’s my 4th line C next season as Kuraly gone

he’s my 13th F right now / I like a lot of what he brings but I’d slow him down a tad / his speed is absolutely NHL quality and he’s going to be good but he’s raw and his turnover changed the Islanders game and his inability to clear puck from defensive zone I thought ended Marchand’s season

that Marchand was able to come back and what learned about players who played and didn’t plays value was huge as far as I am concerned

they sucked and May continue

Edmonton once lost 13-0 (yes really) to Hartford (yes the non playoff Whalers) and then Bruins 4-1 next day (I was at) and in June won the scup

Is your memory really worse than mine?

11-0 in Hartford and lost to the Bruins the day before. Oh, and no Gretzky or Kurri.

Actual question: Is Frederic a natural pain in the butt or has he been groomed to be one? Almost seems like his focus is more on disruption than playing the game. He was a first round pick, I would assume he has enough talent to contribute in a more productive way.

Reactions: tremha

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
If he's allowed to spend to the cap or close to it, why would it matter to Jacobs if he doesn't bring in high priced players? It's the same $$$ outgoing.
Sweeney has not done that though. He gives us garbage......Again, six years....Name me the great player he has added to this stanley cup winning nucleus ?........McAvoy...a draft choice.....6 years he has added mcAvoy and a bunch of slugs....We need a world class player.....Not Smith number 12. We have plenty of Smiths....

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Beersie's a company guy. I doubt you'll hear any criticism of Sweeney or the coach.
I am listening......You are correct.....His take is HOMER. Almost like Sweeney is sitting on his lap. Joke. Everyone gets heat accepth the guy responsible.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Is your memory really worse than mine?

11-0 in Hartford and lost to the Bruins the day before. Oh, and no Gretzky or Kurri.

Actual question: Is Frederic a natural pain in the butt or has he been groomed to be one? Almost seems like his focus is more on disruption than playing the game. He was a first round pick, I would assume he has enough talent to contribute in a more productive way.

He has the face of a guy that is a natural ass, like Marchand does :laugh: He has some skills for sure, but I think he's been out there with the team in a bit of a slide trying to do what he can to provide some spark.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Sweeney has not done that though. He gives us garbage......Again, six years....Name me the great player he has added to this stanley cup winning nucleus ?........McAvoy...a draft choice.....6 years he has added mcAvoy and a bunch of slugs....We need a world class player.....Not Smith number 12. We have plenty of Smiths....
You missed my point. I challenged you when you said it would make Jacobs happy not to spend to the cap. History will show that, since the cap was initiated, the Bruins have been at or close to it each and every year.

The fact that the money was not spent wisely is another matter for which Sweeney must take responsibility.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The 1st period at Lake Tahoe bothered me. It got forgotten after the resounding win, but after scoring early the Bruins spent most of the rest of the 1st being thoroughly out-worked and out-played by a depleted opponent. There was a stretch where they were constantly losing puck battles and they coughed up 2 goals pretty quick. All this in a big occasion game in a glorious setting that should have been all the inspiration they needed to come out firing. And it just didn't happen.

Obviously they got their act together in the 2nd and put the Flyers to the sword, and credit to them for that. But their poor compete level in the 1st just lingered for me as a bad sign. I certainly didn't expect it to lead into 2 thrashings like this, but it doesn't completely shock me either. The Boston of recent years have never been the most outright talented team, but their compete and willingness to work hard and stick with the systems Cassidy's put in place has been one of their greatest assets. This season for whatever reason it's gone missing for stretches and they're a bit boom/bust and inconsistent, which is rather un-Bruins like. Feels like it's at that point where it's on Sweeney to shake things up a bit, whether that's a trade or two, call ups from Providence, or something else. Team needs a jolt. Not a big one, not yet anyway, but enough to make them take notice.

The number of bad first periods (random bright spots such as our only line scoring does not mean a period was good) is astounding this season. Whether coming off an extended break or not, this team is not ready for the opponents and it is setting the Bruins for failure.

I agree- the team needs something as they are not getting it in-game with the personnel. If Sunday is another episode of being bullied by the rebuilding NYR, it may be on Sweeney not Bruce to make that adjustment.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
I’d like Cassidy to tell his forwards to finish every check on Fox- hit him and hit him hard AND clean - and his partner Lindgren as well

Fox can get away but not always and Lindgren can’t and you can get him running around

also I’m coach I tell my players the two D’s....DISCIPLINE & DETERMINATION and at the end of game ask yourself bow you did

Back to Fox

Marchand knows this as he went after him but screw that - I want a Wolfpack mentality specifically on Fox

I want Fox realizing those MFs are coming after me every shift / and see where he goes with it - the second forward should be looking at Lindgren and finish him off

incredible the Bruins D get targeted but they let guys like Fox skate around like stick practice
We can't even get the 4th liners to throw hits anymore. Everyone is too damn complacent because there is no accountability and no one is scared to lose their job. The team needs a shakeup.

Also, never sign 4th liners to anything more than 2 year deals.

Reactions: smack66

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Its amazing to me that Bergeron, Marchand and Pasta haven’t called out their teammates. Maybe they do it behind closed doors but it might be time for one of them to light a fire. I know that’s usually frowned upon but those three bring it every game.

Reactions: Estlin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
LOL....Hey Bonvie.....How they doing without Krejci the last five games.....You said that was nonsense. You talk a lot, but yet, i never see you actually explain anything......Like i said....Krejci, the most valuable Bruin since 2010.....If you have a point....Explain it instead of commenting without any substance....

Where to begin...

Krejci the most valuable Bruin since 2010. I will stand by my position that Chara, Bergeron, Marchand and Rask have been more valuable. This in spite of the Bruins poor performance in the last 5 games without Krejci. Not just because 5 games is a miniscule sample compared to the full decade you are referring, but also because the Bruins are currently playing without half of the D core they started the season with. That seems more significant.

As for the case in point, who are the great players that are taking a discount? Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak. Are they not all in? They seem to be playing fine. Full effort given. I don't believe for a minute that those players are concerned about what management is doing. They do their job, they play hockey.

Now I have only done this because you requested it. I will now return to my style of commenting without explanation. Unless I change my mind.

Reactions: DKH and JerseyBruin

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
We miss DK. A lot!! Requires 3rd and 4th liners to play above their skill level.
Going into the season, I didn't think Smith, Bjork, JDB, Kase would show so little offensively. Kinda had them wishfully projected to be a 15-20 goals in a normal season. Many have said it, JDB not the same player after Kadri.

Like Dan mentioned, I though Coyle played better the past two games. One interesting tidbit, have (stuck with here in NY) the MSG feed and they should have gone to commercial, but instead focused on Coyle looking at Jumbotron after a PP. He looked like me after a 2-min shift in drop-in hockey. I don't know if I've ever seen a NHL player breathing that hard. It was like he just couldn't catch his breath and it was a rather lengthy close up. IDK.

Finally, on upbeat side, someone posted a LetterKenny clip early in this thread. Pretty funny, silly, clever show. All hockey fans should check it out.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Where to begin...

Krejci the most valuable Bruin since 2010. I will stand by my position that Chara, Bergeron, Marchand and Rask have been more valuable. This in spite of the Bruins poor performance in the last 5 games without Krejci. Not just because 5 games is a miniscule sample compared to the full decade you are referring, but also because the Bruins are currently playing without half of the D core they started the season with. That seems more significant.

As for the case in point, who are the great players that are taking a discount? Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak. Are they not all in? They seem to be playing fine. Full effort given. I don't believe for a minute that those players are concerned about what management is doing. They do their job, they play hockey.

Now I have only done this because you requested it. I will now return to my style of commenting without explanation. Unless I change my mind.
Like i said...No substance,,,,Bruins look pretty good without Chara.....Funny, they dont look so good without Krejci......Man, You got nothing.

as for the guys that took a discount...They are all in. It is the over rated Sweeney that is not all in. He got the players to buy in...But seems he does not have to himself. Six years not one world class player added....If i am Bergeron or Pasta and Sweeney gets in the elevator......I get off and take the next one. The guy is a schill for the Jacobs family.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'm not panicking, but there are clear concerns. They're going on 3 weeks of poor play. If you exclude the outdoor game, they're on a 7 game streak of not scoring more than 2 goals in regulation. Incredibly difficult to win games like that.

Exclude all of the Philly games, and they're 6-5-2 with a -6 goal differential.

If there's one positive, it's that they've played well at home and two thirds of their games have been on the road so far. Hopefully the last two games were rock bottom, and the embarrassment will flip a switch in them.

Reactions: BruinsFanMike82

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
You missed my point. I challenged you when you said it would make Jacobs happy not to spend to the cap. History will show that, since the cap was initiated, the Bruins have been at or close to it each and every year.

The fact that the money was not spent wisely is another matter for which Sweeney must take responsibility.
Thanks.....Agree. Basically my point.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Sure, when you put it that way, it doesn't look good.

Nor should it! NJ, NYR, Pittsburgh... the Bruins are not in the North but if the Bruins are so truly elite there a regulation wins to be had. It all starts with the terrible 1st periods.

The disappointments are starting to outweigh the positives lately.

Depth - the Bruins depth once again is the bottom six variety

Scoring - top line mainly

Team toughness- nonexistent aside from four individuals, two of whom are injured and one is irrelevant to the fighting scene due to his strength (Ritchie). Frederic needs to be allowed to take an instigator because he is reeking of fake tough these games and spends more time giggling with opponents between whistles like an MLB player on first base.

The Bruce/Claude hybrid system is not working against tougher, harder working teams

PP - teams have shut down Pastrnak option and Bergeron one timer, and they have nothing else

The Kuraly/Wagner line should be at 10 minutes per night maximum if they must play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
That game was difficult to watch even when it was still tight. Studnicka was the only forward who I thought had a good game. I do wonder if he is going to bump Kuraly from the lineup when healthy bodies return. Kuraly was awful last night. I don't often focus on him but given that several people have been calling him the worst player this season I did pay more attention last night. It was bad. I'll be keeping my eye on him for a few games, since last night was hopefully not a representative sample for anyone.

On defense, I feel that Moore has looked really good. I would not be surprised if he has created trade value or if we decide to keep him as the 7th D. I do think he is clearly a better option then Clifton on the left side while Lauzon is hurt. I have been intrigued by Vaak, but ultimately I think he needs to go back down and work on being dominant in the AHL while rounding out his game.

I guess we've been watching different games. I think Moore has been pretty good offensively, but on defense he has been atrocious . I'd play Clifton over him 11 times out of 10.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Is this sarcasm that I'm blatantly missing? Rutherford was one of the worst GMs in the league.
Yea...I know. Those three cups and his great moves in Pittsburgh say just that...Maybe that will be on his Hall of Fame plaque when he gets it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tuukka Rask, the winner Sunday at Lake Tahoe, was back in net for the Bruins and expected to go against the Blueshirts again in Sunday’s noon start at MSG. Of the three injured defensemen, the only one expected to return soon is Matt Grzelcyk, who skated again with the club Thursday. He’s a possibility to play Sunday, with David Quinn, his former coach at BU, behind the Rangers bench ... Anders Bjork went a third straight game without landing a shot on net. Don’t be surprised if Cassidy slides a taxi-squader (Karson Kuhlman?) into his spot Sunday. He logged only 11:52 in ice time and attempted one shot (off net). Cassidy pulled Bjork for a shift or two, and double-shifted David Pastrnak as a left wing on the Jack Studnicka/DeBrusk line … Kuraly lost 7 of his 10 faceoffs, another spot where the Bruins miss David Krejci’s expertise …

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Tuukka Rask, the winner Sunday at Lake Tahoe, was back in net for the Bruins and expected to go against the Blueshirts again in Sunday’s noon start at MSG. Of the three injured defensemen, the only one expected to return soon is Matt Grzelcyk, who skated again with the club Thursday. He’s a possibility to play Sunday, with David Quinn, his former coach at BU, behind the Rangers bench ... Anders Bjork went a third straight game without landing a shot on net. Don’t be surprised if Cassidy slides a taxi-squader (Karson Kuhlman?) into his spot Sunday. He logged only 11:52 in ice time and attempted one shot (off net). Cassidy pulled Bjork for a shift or two, and double-shifted David Pastrnak as a left wing on the Jack Studnicka/DeBrusk line … Kuraly lost 7 of his 10 faceoffs, another spot where the Bruins miss David Krejci’s expertise …

But Bjork looks so good!

Kuraly's faceoff wins percentage is exactly the same as Krejci's at this point.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not upset I missed this one, hopefully I`m able to sit down with my morning coffee tomorrow and watch a focused team. I see Butch possibly sitting Bjork, that`s fine if he`s the whipping boy but JDB still doing jack all either I see but he keeps getting pushed over the boards for shift after shift :huh:

Bjork can`t go three games with 0 shots but shifting him out as Jake continues to play passenger hockey and collecting cheques isn`t great either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad